Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Small correction: you unlock the sub-class CO at 20 and the respective supplemental/advanced class unlocking CO at 30. Might also be worth mentioning that to unlock the advanced class you have to reach 30 in the respective class (HU 30 = FI, RA 30 = GU, FO 30 = TE), and that you don't just get them at once.

e: Also the Japanese Wikis are worth including, given how Arkive is pretty incomplete and Cirnopedia is currently unusable (I think someone on PSO-W said they were going to donate money but am unsure of what will come of that).

http://pso2.swiki.jp/
http://pso2wiki.net/

e2: PSO-W's build thread is pretty good too. It can be a bit daunting to look at the skill trees if you're unfamiliar, and there's a lot of pressure to get things right if you don't plan on buying any additional trees.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

The main downsides are a lack of extreme long range attacks, and difficulty hitting weak points high off the ground reliably. Fighters also lack good ranged AoE options aside from Addition Bullet, but Hunters have access to several PAs capable of dishing out respectable mid range area damage.

The other deciding factor in choosing Hu/Fi vs Fi/Hu is that Fighter has access to Lambda Hyperion/Aristin/Patty Lumeria, whereas the all-class double sabers are exceedingly rare (Lambda Hellfret) or otherwise restricted (the Falz spellstone one can only be Light). I don't know if there are any good all-class Twin Daggers/Knuckles, but from my experience they're not nearly as good as the other 4 melee weapons anyway.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
They really need to change the Emergency Quest message to include the planet's name again.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
I've yet to run in to any out-right hostility from Japanese players. Just don't be obnoxious.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

MR. J posted:

To be perfectly honest. The T-atk deficiency for CASTs is not a huge factor in their damage potential as mages... except when it comes to meeting equipment requirements later on down the road.
Most end-game weaponry require you to have at least 600 base attack in order to use. It's quite a struggle to get a CAST to those levels in a reasonable amount of time. You'll likely be waiting for higher levels to use those powerful weapons compared to other races.

This can be an issue, but if you're leveling your Mag pure T-ATK I wouldn't worry about it too much. The really high-end stuff (requiring 600+ T-ATK) isn't likely to be within your grasp until your Mag is a pretty high level anyway.

Side note: Dark Falz two EQs in a row? :allears:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

sexual Norm posted:

I answered all the entry fields except the last one exactly like you did. :staredog: Time to create a new fabulous character on ship 2. How much does that cost, anyway?

500 AC to buy another slot. If you're planning on making a new Ship your home, you may as well just delete the other character though.

e: 3 Dark Falz EQ in a row. :psyduck:

Umberger fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 25, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Time posted:

Umm is the best way to do the japanese captcha to try and match things from wikipedia? Because im having a hell of a time trying to do it.

edit: while creating a sega ID

Have one browser window open with the captcha, and one open to this page. Then just match the characters, copy and paste.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Miijhal posted:

That's good to hear. My biggest concern was basically how, back when PSO2 was first announced for the West, Hunters were at a state where you were basically worthless in a party, would die more often than everyone else, do way less damage, and probably not even get a chance to hit things that weren't bosses. I really don't want to have to deal with that, or the alternative of just spamming one stupidly overpowered photon art over and over again.

Hunters/Fighters are indeed pretty powerful, don't get me wrong, but there are still certain PAs that are miles ahead of others in terms of usability and how much damage they deal (Sonic Arrow, Over End, Deadly Archer).

e: I did it! Now I can start playing the game!

Umberger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 26, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, making a new account is really obnoxious. I lost my XP install CD, so I have zero japanese language support, so there's no way I can enter in the captcha.

Eh, I guess I'll just have to wait for the western release, if it ever happens.

Does this page not work either? I don't know if you mean "I can't type the Hiragana" or "my computer literally can not display Japanese text", so sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Bible posted:

How do you find your Player ID? I don't remember what I entered for it at all.

You can do it ingame by viewing your ARKS Card (My Data->Edit Arks Card->Preview) or press Back/Select/Middle Mouse Button and Change Character Overhead Display->Player ID Name.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=1510

Divine Amaterasu. :allears:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Ruins is less stressful, though Cyclos and Kuklos hit really goddamn hard at that level. The real pain in the rear end is Crabatas with a huge amount of health who turtle up a lot. Lightning tech spam is highly recommended, and a fast hitting Shock II or III weapon will help a lot too. Dagachas and Dagashes both drop new rare talismans, the Dagash one is currently the second best available with 843 T-ATK at +10.

Being a Force, I've yet to do a run of Ruins without one, so Krabahda are not a problem at all. Cyclonehda spam is the thing that will kill people. I had one run where I got trapped in a Funji which spawned Dahgash, Dagacha and Krabahda inside, and because it spawned in a new area there were Cyclonehdas sniping it and a few Kuklonahdas wandered in. I died pretty fast.

I was also fortunate enough to get the new talis from a Dahgash. Yes, it is a miniature Dahgash, and yes you throw even smaller Dahgashes instead of cards.

From what I can tell on the wiki comments, Krabahda drop Divine Amaterasu (the new best 10* rod, only being outperformed by the hilariously expensive 11* XQ rod and Psycho Wand). AQ Ruins gives an absurd amount of stones and capsules too.

Sanctum is pretty ok. As far as I'm aware the boss drops aren't exactly stellar but there's the chance of Lambda Hellfret dropping and I'm sure there are at least a few unknown 56+ drops there. Bursts are a bit harder to get because of how many Dirandals spawn, but my group was still getting them fairly regularly and had a couple cross bursts. I feel like I got more capsules/stones there than any of the other c-AQs.

Haven't done City yet.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tengames posted:

In short: you need the equivalent of 13500 stones to get a single 11* weapon. You typically get 13 per run per day. You are never going to loving get those weapons, not that you would want them anyway since they're expensive as hell to grind and actually weaker then an easy to get 10* grinded up to 50 element.

I would hope that once they start unlocking more stages we'll start seeing the 2nd tier and possibly even the 3rd tier stones drop.

I believe the 11*s themselves can also just drop, but they're obviously stupid rare.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

The Dagash Talis seems pretty common, according to the quest record, 350 of them have already dropped on Ship 1 since the servers came up yesterday.

They were already at ~1m on Ship 02 when I found mine yesterday at around mid-day EST. So yeah.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Changing the subject, there's kind of an unintentional split in drops for City and Ruins that means melee classes will want to farm City for upgrades (new Guwanada and Agurani weapons, Gun Braver), while tech classes will want to farm Ruins (talismans and Amaterasu). There's a little crossover like Witch Broom and Evil Cursed(?) in City, but Ruins has two very powerful talismans that drop off the most common spawns, and the best 10 star rod in the game off crabs, so it seems like a no brainer for Forces. They probably could have distributed the drops a little more evenly.

Ruins is also the only realistic way to farm Elder Pain, which is worth mentioning. Plus there's a pretty large amount of Kuklonahdas which drop Ruin Charm which you can then upgrade to Ruin Mirage with your spellstones.

e: I believe Acro Cane drops from (Pre?)Dicahda, and that can be upgraded from City. There's plenty of reasons for either role to do both City and Ruins really.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 30, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

quote:

All players who used AC content between Feb 6th through May 29th’s maintenance will receive:

プレミアムセット1日 Three 1-day Premium Set
ラッピースーツ One Rappy Suit

All players will receive:

トライブースト+100% Triboost +100%

You can pick them up at the Visiphone on June 12th, 2013.

Hooray a Rappy Suit. :confuoot:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

The premium tickets will be nice, I've got a bunch of crap 10 star weapons gathering dust that I wouldn't mind flogging for purchase passes. Anybody know if it works for the DF trade in weapons? If so, I've got like 350 of those stones.

The weapons from Falz spellstones can not be traded in for passes. You can trade them in for an Ex Cube, a Photon Sphere or 30 Grinders. These are pretty much all terrible options so you might as well get the Ex Cube.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

Dunno how I got to 60 with a class without playing these, so much more exp than virtually anything else.

MPA exit cross bursts in Free Explore Ruins/Sanctum or pretty much any EQ can be incredibly effective, if you had been doing those.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

animaCartographer posted:

I made a Newman force and I am (for the first time in my online gaming experience) having a absolute blast. So is Zan as amazingly good as I think it is or am I just too dazzled by the amount of swirling blades of death?

Zan is good at the start but starts to fall behind pretty quick. You'll want to go down the Lightning and Fire trees in Force (get PP Charge Revival ASAP), and if you decide to go Techer it's very unlikely that you'll get anywhere near the Wind tree for a very long time (there are two very good abilities under Light, and one particularly useful cooldown under Dark, whereas Wind doesn't have anything to even look forward to).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Well, rumor has it that the new darkers are avian-themed, so wind weakness sounds thematically appropriate. Making the regular monsters weak to ice would be nice, but the Ice tree for Forces is still garbage because Photon Flare is a terrible skill.

On top of the Ice tree being garbage, the other two trees are incredibly good and the Fire/Lightning schools have incredibly useful spells as is.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kessel posted:

Is there any non-obvious reason to use the shooter mode over the lock-on system besides "it's more fun"?

Hitting enemy weak points is not always possible/practical when using the lock-on system. You can, for instance, only lock on to a Rockbear's body, but their face is their weak point. This is especially important when applying Weak Bullet.

Also pretty much every enemy with a face has its weak point there but you don't often get the option to target it (Oodans, Gulfs, Sa/Dinians, etc etc).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

A good example is Fang Banshee/Banther; PAs will prioritize unbroken parts over broken parts.

This is the worst thing because you can lock on to their head and Rafoie will hit their unbroken claws still, even if their head has a Weak Bullet on it (which should just gain #1 autotarget priority in situations like this).

e:

MR. J posted:

Just use grants if you are bumrushing banther's face. It has 100% accuracy and follows its target. That is, if you're using techs. :v:

Oh I know to just use Grants, but it's annoying that we can't use what should be our highest ranged DPS ability on them (Foie can be too inconsistent because of how much they jump around).

Umberger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 3, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dawnfire posted:

Also, thrillsploison's not bad, because it hits a lot of times and does some minor AOE. It's just gunslash in general is lacking.

Gunslash is not at all lacking. Go do yourself a favor and pick up Additional Bullet. It's a fantastic AOE option for every non-Force class and Ra/Hu can put up some crazy numbers if they JA it and get headshots. It's also probably the best way for melee to contribute on PSE/Cross Bursts and Emergency Quest AOE fests. Thrillsplosion is also really solid and once again shines on Ra/Hu hitting weak points (I use it on enemies like Ga/Gu Wonda and Malmoths). They also get pretty big jumps in damage from 10->11, but farming AB 11+ can be a bit hard. Aimed Shot gets honorable mention for Ra as well, it's a lot stronger than you'd think if you JA+charge+weak point hit.

Honestly, AB+Thrillsplosion are what made me go from loathing the "Gunslash only" COs to using them more than my other primary weapons in most missions.

Spinning Robo posted:

Immediately after getting a capture transmizer EC, a dark ragne spawned. I couldn't actually capture it because the mizer wouldn't get off ragne, and ended up helping me kill it.

I've never bothered to properly do a capture EC solo in the few instances in which one has even popped up. It might not be too bad if you have a macro to spam the action key to activate the switch, but still. :effort:

Hell, most of the time I've seen capture ECs pop up in EQs even the JP players don't bother capturing them.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 4, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

sexual Norm posted:

EDIT I found basic stuff on PSU blog, but if anyone could give advice on what's worth spending my spacemoney and grinders on, and what the best attributes are for FO weapons, and how you get more grinders, that would be really helpful.

Also, is there a way to get another mag without buying on with real money?

Don't blow your money on grinding until you start getting 8~9*s, and don't bother +10ing things until you get 10*s in my opinion. You'll replace things while leveling very quickly, but 10*s will last you much longer.

Attributes do not matter on Rod/Talis, as it only affects your physical attack (a Rod with 30% Wind will not do any more damage with Wind technics than one with 30% Fire). It kind of matters on Wands if you have the Wand Gear from Techer and plan on actually using it, but I wouldn't worry about it that much unless you plan on making that your primary means of attacking. If that's the case, Fire and Lightning have a lot of uses, and if you run Sanctum/Floating Continent a lot you can get some mileage out of a Dark weapon.

You can buy grinders from player shops, get them from FUN Scratch, from various tradeins (1 Ex Cube, 1 10* weapon or 5 10* units will get you 30) and any enemy. I'm almost 100% certain every Emergency Trial can reward them as well. Honestly just play the game and you'll be swimming in them before you know it.

The only way to get a Mag is with AC. The item that you use to grant another Mag to your character can not be traded.

e: If you meant abilities/affixes (Technique I/[Boss] Soul) instead of attributes (Fire/Wind) then the ones you'll eventually want are: Ragne or Elder Soul, Technique III, Stamina Boost (or Stamina III). I would focus on getting them in that order and only worry about trying to get 2 or more once you have equipment that you know you will not be replacing for a while, like a Seitenheise or the Schlacht armor set.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 5, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tengames posted:

When leveling a force, try to get a pumpkin rod( パンプキンロッド ) as soon as you can from the player shops. it can be used by any class (so you can use it while leveling your sub class up) and shouldn't be too expensive I think.

don't really worry about upgrading your weapons that much, just grind them to 3-5 until you get to hard mode, then grind the pumpkin rod or whatever weapon you want to 7 or higher if you're daring. Once you get to hard mode's tundra, you're gonna have to start grinding your units or be killed a lot from enemy attacks.

I never grinded any of my units and had no problems leveling (this goes for all 6 classes but Force and Techer in particular). Force's dodge and ranged capabilities combined with very high AOE DPS make it so that you really shouldn't be getting hit much at all before Very Hard, even while playing solo. Mirage Escape has a ludicrous amount of i-frames with very little recovery frames, and you're almost never locked out of using it by an animation.

Unless you're fighting a boss you've never fought before, being too aggressive with your casting (particularly on Banshee/Banther), or get unlucky while using Zondeel it's not that hard to completely avoid damage, and it will do you a lot of good to learn that skill for VH/AQ/XQs where you won't be able to survive some attacks anyway.

To be honest, grinding units while leveling is pretty useless aside from the min/max factor. Every 5 points of X-DEF reduces damage from that source by 1, so the difference between an 8* unit +0 and +10 is somewhere between 6~10 damage (for the 489 X-DEF 10*s it's still only 8~12). Sure it may be a bigger deal when you have all 3 and that turns in to 18~30 less damage (again with 10*s 24~36), but:

1) You have to consider the cost in both materials and meseta in getting those 3 to +10, particularly from the standpoint of a player who may not have much income of either and could be spending them on other things (or even saving up for something more important).
2) Big hits are the thing you have to really worry about, and you aren't going to survive more than 1 or if you're lucky/a little overleveled/overgeared for the area, 2.

Basically: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and if that 18~30 damage is the thing that puts you over a breakpoint of being able to take another hit from X by all means do it. However I am not under the impression that it would be worthwhile for a new player to do while leveling their first class.

:spergin:

Umberger fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 5, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ardeem posted:

Nope, there is a translation patch that covers many, but not all things.

Expanding on this:

The main English patch translates all of the menus, a great amount of NPC dialogue, quest/mission and Client Order (think typical MMORPG quests) names+descriptions. It does not translate item names or their descriptions (these are located server side, and only loaded into the memory, so editing those is possible but very sketchy as it requires attaching a memory editor to the executable).

Items all have thumbnails that allow you to tell them apart very easily, and if you ever want to search for a specific item Cirnopedia is a great resource as it provides both the English and Japanese names.

If you're interested in playing the game, you should really download the Japanese version. SEA is getting a version which is being handled by a company with a fairly poor reputation with regard to F2P MMORPGs, and there's still no word on any other international release(s).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
With the new precede patch, there's a new round of datamining going on. Some highlights:

quote:

New COs for the Border Break quest ("Creepy! Mechs in the City!", etc) and Burning Rangers quest.
New affixes: Persona Soul, ???? (+30 all attack stats; used to be named VH Soul), and what I can only assume is Cougar Soul ("Contains a power that breaks borders.")
E-trial changes: Looks like Code: Collect gives you exp/meseta each time you return an object.
New emergency quests: Arks Ship Calamity (アークスシップの災禍), Enraged Dark Arms (猛る黒曜の暴腕), Utterly Profound (深遠に至りし巨なる躯).
New limited quest: Chaotic Border Break (境界を砕く混沌).

I'm sure there's more that can be gleaned. As a note, the new Elder quests don't feature the same enemy as the old ones, these are "EX" versions (based on filename; they won't tell you in-game, same with Persona's EX version).

Puyo Mag
Sonic knuckles weapon camo (this is more than likely going to be a prize distributed after the Thanks Festa event assuming we reach that threshold)
Neiclaw
There's a BB Union TMG camo

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tengames posted:

We might be getting episode 2 next month, which will most likely include the new area, level cap, and possibly even the difficulty mode.

With the extreme quests, new falz with higher drops, and the boosted drop rate days, it looks like they're just giving everyone a last chance to get the rares they want before the new content arrives, and 11*s become the new 10*s and obsolete everything.

They have 60 more floors of Extreme Quests to add, and let's face it: next difficulty is likely not going to be accessible until 60 (Normal at 0, Hard at 20, Very Hard at 40, "Ultimate" at 60).

I don't think we'll be getting the new difficulty until they pimp out the new area some (TA, AQ maybe, EQ) and probably add more floors to XQs. They may even have to increase monster level in higher XQ floors because as player levels/power increase, level 60 monsters might not be enough to warrant a challenge (considering it's hardly one now).

Plus they have to give everyone some time with the new class (I imagine Braver will be out on release day for Episode 2). If they released content only accessible at 60 then it's going to significantly cut in to the amount of people who will want to take the time to level a new class from 1.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tengames posted:

for the next 23 hours, all rares have thier drop rate boosted by 50%! Enjoy finding absolutely nothing in that time span regardless. (good day to do some extreme quests or go hunting for 10* units to get grinders though)

Also of note is that +50% drop rate is pretty decent for farming AQ stones (I believe someone mentioned that capsule drop rates are unaffected by rare drop boosts though).

Surprise Noodle posted:

It's better this way, really. Racial abilities sound cool on paper, but they're almost impossible to balance properly.

PSU handled this in the worst possible way. CASTs were the best race for melee and ranged characters (keep in mind PSU had 4 races, Beasts had higher melee damage but awful accuracy), and they could do this. I don't know if they ever released better SUVs, but I remember that one in particular being stupidly good. Humans and Newmans had absolutely no racial ability and Beasts had a really awkward Nanoblast which ranged from very useful to useless depending on the map/enemy/whatnot.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Liverslapper posted:

I've been doing these EQ's all wrong. According to nerdz and the rest of the goons, just run around and kill all the spawns and don't worry about the end boss much.

Blocks are designated for specific purposes. I believe 1 is newbies, 2-3 is Normal, 4-6 are Hard, 7-13 are Very Hard. It should be translated by the English patch but basically whenever an Emergency Quest comes up, go to the appropriate block for your level, run around with the big group of guys and enjoy the experience.

The only time you should care about the boss is if you're doing the Falz Hunar EQ (this is less important now seeing as you can farm him in AQs, but the other 2 City EQs are kind of trash) or if you are doing one of the various +5 SP COs (Dark Ragne and Fang Banther only show up as guaranteed bosses during Naberius 2 TA or their EQs, granted Ragne isn't too hard to run in to otherwise).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Nameless Fool posted:

Old PSO/U vet here interested getting into this game. I have a few questions before I join up to play this game: When I played PSOBB and PSU, there was segregation of the servers, and I've heard there was a bit of xenophobia on the JP servers of those two games (Because of rampant cheating coming from the US servers, ect.), and foreigners who registered to JP servers them had to either hide or be banned, forcing them to play on the US servers. A) Were these claims bullshit, and B) If not, does the same xenophobia still apply to this game's servers?

A) With regards to PSU I'm almost 100% sure that's bullshit, but PSU JP had a significantly smaller English speaking community than PSO 2 does.
B) I've yet to run in to any outright hostility from Japanese players (never been kicked from a party or anything like that).

The whole "Japanese players dislike US/English players" is definitely a thing, but it's not nearly as big of a thing as people make it out to be.

e: If you decide to play, Ship 2 is the server to make your character, just avoid Block 20 because it's the unofficial English community block. That's where people like this and this reside. So long as you don't go to Block 20 you really don't run in to fuckheads often at all.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 7, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

pixaal posted:

Also if this is F2P how does this game make money?

Waifu dress up. Almost all of the clothes in this game come from AC Scratch, which is a ticket that costs 200 or 500 Yen and gives you a chance of getting a certain clothing item/color combination depending on what the current AC Catalog is.

There are a few useful features (doubling your inventory space, getting more Mags, opening up a shop) and a subscription alternative (Premium Set, which offers a variety of features at a rate of 1200-1300 Yen per month) that people buy. But I would wager that a pretty hilarious amount of AC is spent on clothing items.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

Depends on how soon a level cap increase happens I guess.

The Episode 2 Premium Pack has a release date of July 17th, which would imply that it is the date we'll get the Episode 2 update. If I had to guess, that's the absolute soonest time which they would do another level cap update.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

They've put out their ist of what they're showing apparently and PSO2 is not on it. :v: Surprised that there's no level cap increase until October but I guess they figure everyone will be leveling their Dewman for the next few months.

New class, new race, fresh character slot for those who want one, new difficulty in the works. There's a lot of reason for them to not increase the level cap so as not to rush everyone.

Someone on PSOW posted this screencap of their roadmap.

quote:

July
- Support partner
- Arks Road
- Ep.2 New field Vopal
- Ep.2 New race Dewman
- Ep.2 New weapon category katana/bullet bow

September
- New field

October
- New difficulty Super Hard
- Lv65 cap raise

November
- New field

December
- New quest for 12 players
- New system for item customization

I think I'm most excited about subclasses gaining XP. I'm surprised they even changed their mind about doing that. It's kind of hard to tell due to video quality but it looks like the new planet's native enemies are weak to Fire and Ice (well...almost, SEGA) and the new Darkers are weak to Wind and Light?

Umberger fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 9, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

I don't want this to be real :(

Maybe +15 will be a super cash dump. Like once you get to +10 you go to a different person/use a different item for +11-15 (or maybe even 20?). When they add Super Hard TACOs they're going to have to do something to curb inflation. :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

They really need to add more goddamn units, though. You're not exactly spoiled for choice at the top end, and the stupid 606 req ones aren't anywhere near good enough to warrant requirements that high. Also, some more customization for units would be cool, whether purely cosmetic or otherwise. Being able to combine units for some kind of effect would also be another item/cash sink. Presumably, units will also go up to +15, and while I wouldn't mind the extra defense, like most people, my units are basically Boss Soul/ATK Stat III carriers.

I think they just need to cool it on unit requirements. Almost nobody makes an X-DEF Mag and the difference between the two tiers of 10* armors is insane even if you're the optimal race/class combo: a 60/60 Male Cast Hu/Fi can't equip the 606 set without dumping 43 points into their Mag's S-DEF or by taking more than 3 points in S-DEF Up. The cookie cutter 60/60 Female Newman Fo/Te can't equip their 606 set without an additional 54 points in to T-DEF (which you can cut by as much as 32 depending on how many Techer points you feel like wasting).

Defense in this game is just pointless because of how terrible the X-DEF:actual damage reduction rate is (and the damage that enemies deal rises significantly faster than your X-DEF), and how little units provide even at +10. Something needs to be done to make higher end units actually worth wanting to equip. As you've said, basically units now function as affix carriers which just happen to provide X-DEF too.

e: But yeah cosmetic armor stuff would be cool. There are a lot of units with neat visual effects, so it would make something like WoW's transmog a good idea.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Dumping even three points into S-DEF is only really necessary if you want Just Guard, but frankly, Guard is strictly inferior to Step, especially against bosses. There are just too many strings attached to be worth the investment in my opinion.

I find Just Guard/Counter to be significantly easier to pull off than avoiding damage through Step's i-frames. The amount of leeway on the Wired Lance and Sword's Just Guard window is much much more forgiving than Step, and if you gently caress up a Just Guard it's still a Guard (whereas with Step you take full damage, which can be fatal). Also when you Just Guard you're granted even more i-frames during the animation (you can stand in Quartz Dragon's laser rain and Just Guard it to see this in action). I see your reasoning in that 5 points in the Hunter tree can go very far, so it's a fairly big investment, especially if you don't use the mechanic often. To each their own I suppose. v:shobon:v

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Surprise Noodle posted:

The way elements work is that they add extra damage of that specific element to all attacks. For enemies that are weak (typical weaknesses are like 1.1-1.2x damage), I think the only thing that is multiplied is the extra damage. For something that is doing only 50 per hit...that might only be like 1 damage. Try testing it again with stronger attacks and on different weapons, as the red weapons give you huge damage variance.

This is my understanding of it as well: even enemies who aren't weak to an element still take more damage from a 50% [element] than something with no element.

So for example if your weapon has 500 ATK and 50% Fire, it has 500 ATK plus 250 Fire damage (750 total). So if an enemy is weak to Fire, your 250*1.1 becomes 275 (or 300 if 1.2), and your new total ATK is 775 (800 if using 1.2x). If they aren't weak to that element, you've still got 750 ATK.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
Surely they'll add in at least one line of technics. Braver is introducing a new ranged and melee weapon (and assumedly a whole slew of new PAs), they have to do something for casters. Right? :ohdear:

MR. J posted:

Casters are fine. I'm still waiting for some all-class mechguns that aren't a loving joke. :argh:

Honestly I kind of wish they went the PSU route with technics. Baseline spells were either big single target damage (Foie, Diga) or piercing projectiles (Barta, Zonde, Megid), Ra- spells were long range AOE, Gi- spells were point blank AOE, Dam- spells were channeled high DPS conal AOEs. Don't get me wrong, variety is cool and there are only a few spell+role combos missing but it's really annoying to not have those (there is no good AOE option for Megid for instance).

Umberger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

EDIT: They just put up the gamewide rewards for the Bingo event, and while there's some boring poo poo like boost items and so forth, the top end ones are insane. If the points targets are cleared, from 7/10 through 7/17 all players could get +100% XP and rare drop rate, and +10% to grind success rate and affix success rate, plus double spawn rate for rare enemies. The lowest reward is 1K FUN ticket that will require 100K points, but I get a feeling that they have totally underestimated the dedication of the hardcore weirdos. A week with double spawn rate and double drop rate will make AQs super lucrative.

Is it bad that I'm more excited about the prospect of +275% experience (75% ticket, 100% Tri-Boost) than any of those other things? Rare enemies are cool and all but if there's one thing I've learned from Parallel Areas and Wind & Rain EQ it's that their rares are still stupidly rare. Would be nice to finally get Assault Buster/Additional Bullet 11+ though.

e: Maybe I'm just longing for PSU's hilariously over the top +experience and +rare drop events. It seems like doing it before the expansion would be a good idea, especially with the new difficulty coming (eventually) that will require level 60.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 12, 2013

• Locked thread