Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
What with the recent changes to Hunter skills, calling Fighters a more offensive version is somewhat inaccurate. The main difference is that Hunters have the ability to guard against attacks and specialize in flexible melee at close and medium range with middling mid to long range damage with gunslashes thanks to Fury Stance and their slightly better R-ATK growth than Fighters.

Fighters are focused on fast, high damage, short range melee but with excellent utility as a subclass due to Wise and Brave Stances which apply equally to all damage types, as opposed to Fury giving a 125%/110%/100% multiplier to melee/ranged/tech at rank 10. Fighters also have better T-ATK growth than Hunters, which is another advantage to using it as a sub-class for tech/melee.

The combination of Hu/Fi or Fi/Hu lets you pump out truly absurd amounts of melee damage by doubling up on Fury and Wise/Brave stances and cutting loose with ridiculous PAs, and gives you a great balance between the versatility and zoning ability of Hunter weapons with the speed and efficiency of Fighter weapons. Good HP and S-DEF lets you take a few hits in melee, but using Step and Step Attack effectively to evade and punish attacks is the key to being effective against heavy hitters. Paired with a Weak Bullet packing Ranger, they will shred through bosses like wet toilet paper with mind-boggling speed.

The main downsides are a lack of extreme long range attacks, and difficulty hitting weak points high off the ground reliably. Fighters also lack good ranged AoE options aside from Addition Bullet, but Hunters have access to several PAs capable of dishing out respectable mid range area damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Aenslaed posted:

Deadly Archer. Sorry, but no other class besides fighter can pump out more damage faster and reliably for the longest consecutive periods of time unimpeded by cooldowns and situational effects. Its silly cause a fighter can put out nearly as much as a gunner's chain(the game's idea of a move that guarantees overkill damage), in just 1 charged DA.

Also, complaints about range and distance are what FI who have bad positioning, unable to weapon switch, or have crap for gear like to throw around as a weakness. Fi can handle any situation in game and do it better than any other class, period. If they undid the fury stance change, then this would be debatable again.

Also, lets not mix in hybrids. Nobody starting the game will understand the virtues of a hybrid class. Its pretty much a surefire way to make a new player quit when they realize to be a fi/te, it requires them to hit 30 twice before they can actually start playing the class combo they were sold on. Hybrids have severe flaws offset by situational advantages that a newbie wont understand. Unless of course we're talking about RA/HU which is good, but it'll just lead into the moronic chirping about their personal experiences with soloing Elder as a GU/TE.

Sure, chaining Deadly Archer does the most damage, but it's not the right tool for every situation. I use it myself and would be stupid not to, but there are plenty of times where you want to hit more than one target and not expose yourself to attacks. If using sustained damage against bosses in optimum conditions is your sole metric for comparison, it's not going to reflect the actual play experience for most people.

How does a Fighter handle a massive swarm of enemies better than a lighting focused Fo/Te? With good gear a Fo/Te can kill any normal enemy that gets caught in Zondeel in one cast, anything that doesn't die the first time will when you chain a second one. Launcher Rangers also have more versatility at long range. Good melee wants to utilize all of their options, which will let you cover most of the bases, but they aren't literally the best in every situation, no exceptions, that's just ridiculous.

I was talking about Fo/Fi for taking advantage of stances to boost tech damage. If you really want to do a tech/melee hybrid, it beats the hell out of Fo/Hu in effectiveness.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but a lot of your posting in the last thread came off as condescending and dismissive. I think it wouldn't hurt be more constructive and less dogmatic.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

You can also add Straight Charge, Flash Thousand, Other Spin, Heavenly Fall, Slide End, Speed Reign, and Assault Buster to the list of unusually powerful/useful melee PAs. An odd quirk is that several of the above PAs get a huge boost in power at level 11+ and/or have undocumented bonuses like being able to hit multiple boss parts that fall within their hitboxes in a single attack. As an example, the power of Heavenly Fall jumps from 545 at level 10 to 726 at level 11, works through super armor (though doesn't hold the enemy) and does massive splash damage with the final hit that can damage multiple enemies and boss parts. Slide End jumps from 418 to 597, and has a huge hitbox with maxed Partisan gear. Or for a Deadly Archer quirk, the listed power at level 15 is 511, but is actually much higher when charged, inflicting more hits, with each hit doing more damage than uncharged. Conversely Assault Buster's listed power is for the charged version, with uncharged doing less than half as much damage.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Quick rundown of changes in the new patch, plus trade in weapon info. I'll cover the new AQs/XQ once I have a chance to run them and/or more data comes out through the usual channels.

New AQs for City, Ruins, and Altar, containing insect darkers, marine darkers, and dragons, respectively. Cap types are a>b>c in that order.
New Goron Zoran rare version: Zoron Graal presumably with new rare drops.
New client orders for killing rare Goron and Ex, for whatever that's worth.
New XQ: Forest and Dragon. 10 free X passes from the campaign item box on the visiphone to go with it.
Gunner balance changes: if you had a Gunner prior to last weeks patch, you got a free respec, check your campaign item box.
• Zero Distance range extended
• Perfect Keeper bonus increased
• Satellite Aim area of effect made both wider and taller, can be cancelled with Matrix flip earlier in the animation
• Reverse Tap vortex effect range increased
Cost for Ship Transfer reduced from 700 AC to 350
Boost events (note that these are for JST, so adjust -13h to get EST and so on):
• June 3 200% meseta boost (hint: XQ stages drop a fuckload of meseta)
• June 4 50% XP boost
• June 7 50% rare drop boost

Trade in weapons

City (dark element):
Kirate Edia > Grid Edia sword
Kalcy Weapon > Peril Weapon rifle
Kallux Gun > Perilous Gun machine guns
Acro Cane > Ouster Cane wand

Ruins (dark element):
Ruinsharm > Ruin Mirahsi sword
Fossil Tricks > Fossil Bower double saber
Latoria Rain > Foia Rain rifle
Plosion > Akst Plosion launcher (about drat time)
Raywen Book > Nornil Book talisman

Altar (light element):
Asro Linga (new) > Rosso Linga sword
Spheretron (new) > Elutron rifle
Blue Floris (new) > Red Floris talisman

So three (?) new swords, three new rifles, two new talismans, and one each of launcher, wand, double saber and machine guns. The sword overkill is kinda weird considering there's only one each for trade in wired lances and partisans, but there's also some much needed love for Rangers who had a grand total of one trade in rifle (not counting DF Elder trade ins) and no launcher prior to this.

I would cover the XQ trade ins, but it's not like there any pressing need for it.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

AQ = Advance Quest
XQ = Extreme Quest
Both are high level content that drop items that can be exchanged for equipment.
Trade in weapons come in two types, items only and items+weapon. The items only type are acquired by trading the required number of items from either a particular event boss encounter (Dark Falz Elder), or from Extreme Quests (enemies will drop fragments and ores that are traded in). Items+weapon requires 90 stones of a particular type that only drop in Advance Quests, as well as a rare weapon. In exchange you get a more powerful version of the weapon you traded in.

Trade in weapons are great, because they provide an alternate way of getting good weapons, assuming you can get your hands on the base weapon. Some are much easier to get than others, but rare weapon drops in Extreme Quests are heavily weighted toward the trade in weapons for the relevant types (ie; Mech and Tundra drops mainly rare weapons from mechs and Tundra beasts). It makes it a lot easier to bootstrap your way up to strong weapons if you have lousy luck with regular drops.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I've had a look at City and Ruins AQs, and hoo boy. Do you like Predikahdas? Neither do I, but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one in City. Photon Bursts are really tense, since you can have a half dozen of the fuckers teleporting around and murdering party members from behind. The flipside of that is that people have found a ton of cool new weapons in City, including upgraded versions of the special boss weapons and a new unit set that actually matches the highest defense with the required defense stat (124/166/124, 606 R-DEF).

Ruins is less stressful, though Cyclos and Kuklos hit really goddamn hard at that level. The real pain in the rear end is Crabatas with a huge amount of health who turtle up a lot. Lightning tech spam is highly recommended, and a fast hitting Shock II or III weapon will help a lot too. Dagachas and Dagashes both drop new rare talismans, the Dagash one is currently the second best available with 843 T-ATK at +10.

While on the subject, there's a new all class talisman named The Tarot, it drops from rare Goron in AQs, requires 410 DEX, and has 794 T-ATK at +10. It's basically a slightly weaker and easier to equip Green Duel Gaze, that drops off of common enemies. There's also a new 640 S-ATK req gunslash called Gun Braver that drops off 56+ Predikahdas, 794/714 at +10. There's other stuff here and there, if anyone is interested in specific weapon classes, feel free to ask.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Umberger posted:

Being a Force, I've yet to do a run of Ruins without one, so Krabahda are not a problem at all. Cyclonehda spam is the thing that will kill people. I had one run where I got trapped in a Funji which spawned Dahgash, Dagacha and Krabahda inside, and because it spawned in a new area there were Cyclonehdas sniping it and a few Kuklonahdas wandered in. I died pretty fast.

I was also fortunate enough to get the new talis from a Dahgash. Yes, it is a miniature Dahgash, and yes you throw even smaller Dahgashes instead of cards.

From what I can tell on the wiki comments, Krabahda drop Divine Amaterasu (the new best 10* rod, only being outperformed by the hilariously expensive 11* XQ rod and Psycho Wand). AQ Ruins gives an absurd amount of stones and capsules too.

Sanctum is pretty ok. As far as I'm aware the boss drops aren't exactly stellar but there's the chance of Lambda Hellfret dropping and I'm sure there are at least a few unknown 56+ drops there. Bursts are a bit harder to get because of how many Dirandals spawn, but my group was still getting them fairly regularly and had a couple cross bursts. I feel like I got more capsules/stones there than any of the other c-AQs.

Haven't done City yet.

Other Spin is a great tool for dealing with Cyclos, since it will bunch up any in range, so you can easily mop them up en masse instead of one at a time. Their super armor during their wind up actually helps to pull this off, since it will make the tornado spawn wherever the end of your wire is, and they'll still get sucked in regardless. They're also way easier to dodge at close range, since you can just sidestep away from the mace hand side.

I've heard a lot of horror stories from Japanese players about Fungi, I was lucky enough not to encounter any on my run. A tip they gave was to have everybody else pipe up to the ship, then have the abducted member toss a second pipe after everybody else was out, so the members on the ship can take the new pipe down directly to the Fungi. Obviously, surviving long enough to pull that off as a Force is probably easier said than done.

Also, thanks for the Sanctum info. The trade in weapons look dumb, so I'm not really interested in spending caps for stones I'll have no desire to use. The drop table for AQ Goron/Zoron and Ex/Noir is still mostly unknown, so I'm sure there's probably something good that drops there. Dirandals are a lot easier to handle if your melee dude snipes the riders from behind, but it leaves them exposed and some people flip the gently caress out if they see someone with a melee weapon during a burst.

I get a ton of caps and stones from Desert, since Wondas thankfully don't spawn during bursts (that I've seen, anyway), so you just murder loads of low HP trash.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Tengames posted:

In short: you need the equivalent of 13500 stones to get a single 11* weapon. You typically get 13 per run per day. You are never going to loving get those weapons, not that you would want them anyway since they're expensive as hell to grind and actually weaker then an easy to get 10* grinded up to 50 element.

To be specific, the lowest tier are fragments, 90 of which can be traded for ores, the second tier, 30 of which are traded for a heart key. Fragments drop from anything, ores can drop from any enemy in random (?? symbol) stages and you get three ores from beating stage 40. So it's not quite as bad as needing 13,500 fragments and averaging only 13 a day. Obviously getting random stages is pretty luck dependent, but just grinding away for fragments isn't the only way to get ores.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The Dagash Talis seems pretty common, according to the quest record, 350 of them have already dropped on Ship 1 since the servers came up yesterday.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Oh no, I totally am (got 33 squirreled away), since they probably will tweak the drop rate and I'm set for trade in weapons already. If you need 10 star trade ins and don't have purchase passes, your odds are much better doing the relevant XQ than regular farming. Also, there are 11 star weapons that drop, the Mech Katar gunslash, the Gem Sword Balmung wand, and the Weiss Comet all class knuckles (600 S-ATK req., but good for Hunters) have been confirmed. So yeah, doing them specifically for the 11 star trade ins is not going to get you an upgrade any time soon, but it's not like its total waste of time.

Changing the subject, there's kind of an unintentional split in drops for City and Ruins that means melee classes will want to farm City for upgrades (new Guwanada and Agurani weapons, Gun Braver), while tech classes will want to farm Ruins (talismans and Amaterasu). There's a little crossover like Witch Broom and Evil Cursed(?) in City, but Ruins has two very powerful talismans that drop off the most common spawns, and the best 10 star rod in the game off crabs, so it seems like a no brainer for Forces. They probably could have distributed the drops a little more evenly.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Umberger posted:

Ruins is also the only realistic way to farm Elder Pain, which is worth mentioning. Plus there's a pretty large amount of Kuklonahdas which drop Ruin Charm which you can then upgrade to Ruin Mirage with your spellstones.

e: I believe Acro Cane drops from (Pre?)Dicahda, and that can be upgraded from City. There's plenty of reasons for either role to do both City and Ruins really.

Well, I currently have Hu 60/Fi 60/Fo 55, so I'm going to be doing both anyway, but the drops are really lopsided, especially for Fi and Fo. It's not really a big deal, since there are 9 quests and you have to cycle through A>B>C, just seemed kind of odd how upgrades for particular classes seemed clumped up like that, which really has more to do with Guwanada dropping four special melee weapons than anything.

Off topic: no sub-boss for Tunnels and no rare version of Hunar makes those AQs kind of weird exceptions to the usual pattern. Makes you wonder if maybe they'll add stuff in later. Bit of trivia, according to the quest record, more Elder Pains dropped in one day from the AQ than did from the EQ all week. Of course, both of those numbers are single digits.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The ETA for the servers coming back up is 7 PM EST, by the way.

Ran City again a few times at 40 risk, those goddamn mantises hit hard as gently caress at 60 + max infection.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The premium tickets will be nice, I've got a bunch of crap 10 star weapons gathering dust that I wouldn't mind flogging for purchase passes. Anybody know if it works for the DF trade in weapons? If so, I've got like 350 of those stones.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Fair enough. Still got a bunch of other junk to offload.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Just to expand on that a bit, there's a particular Emergency Trial that pretty much guarantees a multiple cross burst if you complete it, and there are also weather conditions (rainbow stuff) that make it a lot easier to trigger PSE level ups. When you see the rippling rainbow screen effect, that means that you can trigger the Protect the Crystals Emergency Trial by running around the map until you trip it. It starts off with two crystals, eventually increasing to six, and if two are destroyed, you fail. If you succeed, PSE levels cannot drop, and the chance of triggering PSE level ups is greatly increased. SOP is to have everyone on the map bunch up in one location with a dead end behind it, usually the map entrance or exit, so that all of the firepower is focused in one direction, dramatically increasing kill speed and forcing respawns for huge XP gains. If everyone does what they're supposed to, you get a bunch of XP and items. Using a 75% ticket during a maxed out cross burst can get you 2-300K XP depending on which area you're in.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Skill trees aside, there's also the problem that currently, there is only one enemy in the entire game that is weak to wind but not also weak to fire, and it's rare boss enemy. That may change going forward, but unless the tweak the Techter skill tree to put something really good on the wind branch, it's just not going to be worthwhile.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Well, rumor has it that the new darkers are avian-themed, so wind weakness sounds thematically appropriate. Making the regular monsters weak to ice would be nice, but the Ice tree for Forces is still garbage because Photon Flare is a terrible skill.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, it's really no contest. I personally feel that Lightning still edges out Fire just based on the excellent utility of Zondeel. You still want to invest a bunch of points in the Fire tree for Tech Charge Advance I+II, but the straightforward "blast it til it stops moving" nature of all the Fire spells limits them tactically. That said, Sa Foie is really nice to have in the City AQ, since as long as it's cast through a talisman, it removes the dead angles, including vertically.

Adding more wind and ice weak enemies would at least mean that you could convince yourself that it isn't absolutely necessary to change the elemental damage type on your weapons as soon as you can afford to.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

We should be seeing a more detailed preview for the major update soon enough. They're doing that fan appreciation day thing next week, so I figure they'll show off more stuff then.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The headshot bonus damage only applies to guns, with a few exceptions where the head is also a weakpoint (bosses mainly). A key point for getting headshots with Addition Bullet is to jump, fire a regular shot, then JA Addition Bullet. AB is a hitscan attack with a cone-shaped hitbox that will damage whatever part is closest to you. If you're in mid-air, arms or whatever is out front will be below the hitbox, so you'll land all your shots straight to their face. This also means you'll want to keep enough distance to avoid landing the kick, since the follow up shots will end up hitting the feet/body when the target gets knocked back.

One of the best examples of a boss with a bunch of breakables that require the use of 3PS mode is Zeshrader. You can break his leg and arm armor, as well as his four back cannons, but you can only lock on to his head or main body. As a tech user, you can switch to 3PS and zap those back cannons with Zonde to destroy them easily.

There are some situations where 3PS mode or just not locking on is beneficial in melee as well. For example, locking on to an El Arda looks like you're locked on to the core, but your attacks will actually land above it. However, if you do unlocked Speed Reign or Slide End (for example) your attacks will be more likely to hit the core directly for much higher damage. This also works on De Marmos' hump with proper positioning (get right up next to him and jump) as well as Wolgada's eyespots.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Nah, I know that, but with the way they move and how melee hit boxes work, you often end up missing the weakpoint even when you're locked on to it. Jumping helps, but that changes PA animations, so it may not be desirable. For some reason, when you're not locked on, melee attack hit detection seems to prioritize weakspots and breakables. It's counterintuitive but there it is. A good example is Fang Banshee/Banther; PAs will prioritize unbroken parts over broken parts.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There's a bunch of options for melee depending on whether or not you want to break all the parts. Wise Stance and a Partisan or Wired Lance will let you smash the ankle plates from beyond the range of it's rear leg sweep pretty easily. If you just want to drop it fast, go Brave Stance and buzzsaw it's face off with charged Deadly Archer or build up sword gear to 3 and drop a leaping JA Over End :fuckoff:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Online game with lots of weird undocumented mechanics and a bunch of character customization options = tons of spergs and creepers. I made a male character that looks middle-aged to ensure I wouldn't ever get into any painfully awkward conversations about his appearance.

Anyway, theres a new preview for the 1 year anniversary update with some new info. Not a whole lot of time right now, so just some highlights:

• Special level 60 Dark Falz EQ that is not part of the regular rotation, new drops for special and regular versions, higher drop rate for special version, fingertips now easier to break and give new drops.

• That stupid loving singer is going to have concerts in the lobby that will be announced like EQs. No word on whether or not they will interfere with the EQ rotations or if they can be muted.

• ARKS Bingo. Complete conditions to fill in squares, the more the you complete the better the rewards.

• Big V's EQ time window increased from 15 to 30 minutes.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

MR. J posted:

It's more powerful than you think. Try laying that grenade into a group of 5 or so monsters.

Yeah, it has really short range for the grenade, but does great area damage for a gunslash until you can get Addition Bullet. The roll at the end also has i-frames.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There are a bunch of ETs that are a total waste of time when you compare the amount of time they take and the rewards they give. Captures can take several minutes and give a couple thousand XP, about 1,000 meseta and maybe a photon drop plus the boss crystal, so it's better just to kill the boss in 1 minute and take the crystal. Gesture is total bullshit, ignore it. Protection for the fighter craft and Lillipa really kind of depends, since it does force spawns, but there's an opportunity cost to it, since you're not out there triggering other ETs. It's not bad if you're close to triggering a burst. Escort is terrible, since the little fucker walks so slow. Collect has been changed recently so that more of the pickups spawn overall, and they generally spawn closer to the drop off point, but there's no reason to go out of your way. The ones with the drill rigs can drop photon spheres, so those are worth doing unless you're on a strict time limit.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

AQs are a special case, since people have different objectives, so it's really important that everyone is on the same page from the get go. Like, recently there has been an increase in people who demand that the party be all Fo/Te doing only talisman Zonde/Zondeel. That's sounds boring as gently caress, and I appreciate it that they put that in the comments, because I would never want to play with those people. There are also people who just want to increase their risk, so they don't clear out the maps completely and send just the leader to the boss room first to prevent trash from spawning and only spawn one miniboss.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I was able to get it pretty fast by doing high risk Tundra runs, but that doesn't mean much due to the fluky nature of drops. Full break on an infected version gives a lot more drops, and so a lot more chances for the disc to drop, though not as many people are doing Tundra now that the new AQs are out. 11+ discs being no-trade was kind of a dick move, really.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Generally speaking, you'll want to only grind up stuff that you intend to use for awhile, since you can buy upgrades off My Shop for chicken feed until you hit the point where your only upgrades are 10 stars. Also, the gains in power for 6 star and below weapons from grinding are pretty crap. There are plenty of options for rods that won't cost you much and will take you up to VH comfortably. Talismans also have a number of good options for cheap, though there are some gaps where you'll want an upgrade but won't quite have the stats for it, since their T-ATK scales more slowly than rods between the different tiers.

For armor, it helps to know that there are armor sets that give a set effect when all three pieces are equipped. This is usually a bonus to HP, PP, ATK, or elemental resistances. Depending on how you play, you will want to choose an armor set that focuses on one particular defense.

I prefer to use the 9 star Luxe (Black) set when I play Force, since I like to stay at range, and that set has T-DEF as its highest defense, making me highly resistant to ranged tech attacks, and each piece gives a +5 bonus to PP and +10 PP, +50 HP, and +40 DEX for the set effect, so with the full set equipped you get +25 PP total. If you like to get in close, then the 10 star Schlact set from the Snow Banshee and Banther has high S-DEF, gives +40 HP and +2 PP per piece, and the set effect gives +45 to all ATK stats. I personally find the extra PP more useful, since I can usually avoid taking melee hits, but if you're playing more aggressively as a Techter, the bonus to ATK, S-DEF, and HP is really good. Defenses are really important if you plan to be in melee range a lot, since Mirage Escape can leave you vulnerable at the end of the animation.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Umberger posted:

Unit stuff

Good points. It's worthwhile to mention that the amount of damage you take is derived by subtracting you DEF from the enemy's ATK, so enemy level plays a very large role in damage calculations. You can get by not grinding your units as long as you replace them with higher tier ones as you gain levels. You can't go wrong equipping the strongest units you can find, since they'll give more raw HP in addition to better DEF. As I said about weapons, 6 star and below units get pretty lousy returns from grinding, so the benefits of grinding up to +10 are pretty dubious compared with just going up a tier.

Resistance is percentage based, which can give better returns than raw DEF for your weak resistances (T-DEF for melee, for example). Some units have built in resistance to an element or one of the three main attack types, and there are also affixes, so they come with the obvious caveat that it'll mean taking up a slot that could be occupied by more ATK or HP, and 3+ affix combines are a huge pain in the rear end.

The importance of learning how and when to dodge can't be overemphasized, especially if you want to spend any time in melee. Dodging too early is just as dangerous as dodging too late. Different PAs can be dodge or guard cancelled at different times during their animations, and learning the ins and outs will keep you alive a lot longer than just passive defense. Speed Reign is an excellent Partisan PA, because it can be dodge cancelled at any time, so you just bail whenever it looks like you are going to take a hit. You can matrix flip out of Satellite Aim right after the first hit if you blew your shot and reposition, and so on. If you have the cash and photon spheres, you can bling out your Mag with a bunch of HP Restore Bs so that you can use super armor PAs and shrug off hits straight to the face in order to inflict massive damage when the situation warrants it, but that's more of an endgame thing. Building up those skills means fewer risks and less downtime.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

I just have a set of HP Delta Sub-units and whatever Epsilon Sub-units came from the Matterboard both grinded to 10. then those get whatever class I am leveling by until I can use the Dark Wings set or whatever other units I may want to put on that class until I can use one of the snowcat/ragne/vharda sets.

Personally, I strongly recommend the 547 S-DEF quasi-set (Bulbheggs, Varemjiz, Dezar Plate) for melee. You get 80 HP and 8 PP total, plus built in Blow Resist on every piece, on top of the really high S-DEF. There's also the (very expensive) Fen series with the same requirements, which gives 75 HP and 6 PP, Blow Resist, best S-DEF in game, and a set effect of 22 S-ATK, or 44 with one of the all class hunter weapons. The Ragne set has pretty poo poo S-DEF in comparison at +10, and the lack of Blow Resist actually makes a large and noticeable difference. The survivability increase more than makes up for the loss of the set ATK bonus. I currently have about 1250 S-DEF in an otherwise totally offensive build, while with the Ragne Set I only had about 980.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Persona Soul will be nice for Gunslash users, even if the melee PAs aren't that great comparatively. If it drops on units, I'll have to redo my whole melee set.

Enraged Dark Arms and Utterly Profound (better translation would be something like Abyssal Colossus) emergency quests are presumably the level 60 versions of the DF Eqs they revealed in the preview.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

NextTime000 posted:

what are the stats for Persona Soul? I don't recall seeing it anywhere before; unless you are referring to the "+30 all attack stats" affix, which is a different soul altogether. We don't have a name for it yet because the files literally list this soul as "?????".

I just kinda skimmed your post, sorry for the confusion.

Off topic, but I wonder what they're planning to do with the upcoming new planet in terms of levels. Presumably it will cover 55+, picking up from Dragon Altar, but if it's going to end up with 3 chapters like all the other planets, does that mean they're going to raise the level cap again, or what? I wouldn't mind seeing another skill point quest for level 60.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Just eyeballing the Arks/Free Quest level ranges, the new planet will probably slot in at 29-32, 39-42, and 55-60, though how they decide to do it (just one field to start with more later, or plugging 3 new fields into the existing lineup) is anybody's guess. They probably will try to put out an EQ, AQ and TA for the new planet, just to keep everyone from burning through all of the new content in a week and getting bored. Dragon Altar still kind of sucks because there aren't many drops worth chasing and they troll you with tons of crap low level rares from 53+ enemies.

One interesting possibility about raising the level cap is that they may raise the level cap for AQs at the same time to keep them relevant. At the very minimum, I'd see them raising the level cap for enemies to whatever the new PC level cap is, but that would still require farming up risk.

The XQ system seems really counterproductive if the level cap goes up again, since it's gated to 1 stage per 22 hours, and a single stage will take you 5 minutes or so. I understand they don't want people blowing through the whole thing repeatedly for hours on end and getting the rare drops too fast, but there's not enough content available per pass to warrant only handing out one per day. I'd love to have a Weiss Comet, but if I use up all of my passes and it doesn't drop, I'd have to wait a week to get another shot at it, so gently caress it.

Unrelated, I was cruising Tranmizer's quest for Parallel Areas/Clones and stumbled across the Tranzexia/Signo Blue one. 5 Slide End disc drops, and as luck would have it, one of them was level 12. Dual stance build with a +10 Old Device makes it hilariously brutal. With Partisan gear 3 it has an enormous hitbox, and when I JA into the charge up, I can oneshot hordes of dudes. I was running with a Force and every time he dropped Zondeel, I would splatter everything before he could get a Zonde off. It also owns for smashing the plate over Cyclo and Kuklo weak points, I was getting crits on the exposed core for 15K.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Races could definitely use some more differentiation. As it is, the only differences are stat growth and appearance, and even the stat differences are really only a big deal if you're going pure min/max.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The new planet looks pretty cool, hard to go wrong with sea monsters. Having the new darkers be weak to wind as speculated is a nice boost for Wind techs, but having more dudes weak to fire keeps it relegated to second tier. They mention for the boss fight that you can reel in sharkguy to break his parts, which kinda makes it sound like a pain the rear end to fight alone.

I honestly don't really care about dewmen or the new character slot, since I've sunk a bunch of time into one character already, and leveling up from zero again would be boring as gently caress.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. You can already clock close to 1 mil per day if you do all the time attacks, and even if Super Hard only awards 150K per, with the addition of a TA for the new planet, you're closing in on 2 mil per day, albeit with a nontrivial time investment, but that has never stopped people. Going up to +15 means that they can keep weapons from older content relevant longer and not have to deal with power creep and making everyone need 11 star weapons. They really need to add more goddamn units, though. You're not exactly spoiled for choice at the top end, and the stupid 606 req ones aren't anywhere near good enough to warrant requirements that high. Also, some more customization for units would be cool, whether purely cosmetic or otherwise. Being able to combine units for some kind of effect would also be another item/cash sink. Presumably, units will also go up to +15, and while I wouldn't mind the extra defense, like most people, my units are basically Boss Soul/ATK Stat III carriers.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Dumping even three points into S-DEF is only really necessary if you want Just Guard, but frankly, Guard is strictly inferior to Step, especially against bosses. There are just too many strings attached to be worth the investment in my opinion. Defensive builds are pretty pointless anyway, since the aggro mechanics don't support the typical tank style of play in the first place. The only reason to take War Cry is to get your Get out of Death Free card. For non-Hunters, it's pretty much impossible to justify putting any points in DEF beyond the minimum instead of literally any other skill.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The way elemental bonus damage is calculated for weapons is pretty much a mystery, really. Theoretically, it adds the amount of elemental strength to your attack strength for damage calculations with an additional bonus if you're using the correct element, this is then supposedly fed through the normal damage formula and adjusted for DEX. However, in game info claims that the higher the base damage is, the more elemental damage you will do. Strictly speaking, this should be true since you're comparing a higher ATK number against enemy DEF, but this doesn't seem to make a major difference in observable damage numbers when going against the wrong element. There isn't enough available data on enemy stats or damage formulas to figure out exactly what's going on.

Also, re Just Guard: it is very much a matter of taste. For defense, I would rather drop a few points above the minimum into Step Advance to get more i-frames that let me maintain mobility and reposition, immediately cancel into a Step Attack to punish, and avoid spending PP on an ability that doesn't do any damage. The stuff that can kill you through a regular Guard can be easily avoided through movement, so it really just comes down to how much you value mobility. It's also really cool to just totally juke bosses and smack them during their follow through. The Braver ability to do damage just by guarding is something that really should have been tacked onto Just Guard instead of the crappy Just Counter.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 10, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Random thought: all of the Techs currently in the game are described as being either elementary (初級) or intermediate (中級), except Na Zan, which is advanced (上級), so it stands to reason that at some point they'll be putting in Na Techs at for the other elements, but leaves the question of what they'll do for Wind. All the other elements have some utility tech except Lightning, but it's hard to imagine what kind of effect a Wind utility Tech would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Zondeel is still basically an attack tech, though. The vortex effect is useful, certainly, but it can be used to deal damage, unlike the other support techs like Anti or Deband.

If we assume that the naming scheme implies similarity in effect, then Zanverse would work similar to Megiverse, ie; create a zone-based buff effect. While Megiverse is a really effective heal, the relatively small area means that if your party is spread out, it will end up a waste of PP.

• Locked thread