Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Lone Goat posted:

He attacked with one of Journeymen Technicians (the guy that reduces an artifact's cost by [1]) and had it die before casting an artifact that turn, so he'd have had 1 left over and would have been able to pay to activate the Pot. And he missed at least half a dozen free activations on Research Librarian, since he could activate it for free on every one of his and his opponent's turns.

Nah, the research librarian's ability is a basic action, so that part, at least, he didn't screw up.

They should really use a term other than basic action for sorcery speed though, because that one doesn't give a hint of what it means. Personally I'd have quick actions and full actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

nerox posted:

I don't understand how the swiss system payout works.

8 people = 8 entry fees = 4 packs

Just the initial pairing of all the people would produce 4 victories, which would be the entire prize pool wouldn't it?

The trick is that unopened packs are also a cost to enter, so there's no need for the prize pool to pay for the full retail price of the packs.

To copy from Magic Online (just like cryptozoic heyo), Wizards of the Coast charges $2 (half the price of a pack) to draft, and offers 12 boosters in total prizes, which is the same as in Hex swiss tournaments. But if we assume that the only way to get packs are through the store or from draft prizes, it turns out that Wizards of the Coast makes far more than $16 per draft. Because there is a deficit of 12 packs from each draft (24 opened vs. 12 awarded) Wizards would make $64 each draft. While the existence of constructed tournaments and the like change this, we can call it roughly accurate.

e;fb a little but note that no matter what, as long as platinum is only available from Cryptozoic's store they'll make at least $8 per draft from the platinum, since packs are free to produce.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2013

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, so in deckbuilding, it's been taking just this side of forever for the card images to load one at a time in my pool of owned cards, and when I try to bring up the large image nothing appears. Has anybody else been having a similar problem?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gaardean posted:

I don't think there's even a card combo currently in the game that's actually affected by the change. Only the passive "When x, do y" triggers were removed from the stack, and every current type of "x" trigger has a priority response anyways, so the priority passes they took out were redundant. The only instance where I can even see it becoming an issue is when a creature entering the battlefield triggers a passive that is then used to buff that creature (Like "when another creature enters the battlefield, you may give target creature +1/+1"), since you wouldn't be able to use an instant burn to kill it before it's buffed. I actually think it's more of an issue that playing resources doesn't cause a priority pass, since neither Gas Troll's nor Wild Root Dancer's effects can be responded to.

I love how their example in the article talking about removing responding to triggers is one where it can have a pretty huge effect. If I have some scriveners and play Righteous Paladin, my opponent never has the chance to play their shock and kill it.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Note for my fellow drafters: If you have the 14th pick choice between Shroomtank and anything else, take the Shroomtank.

It got bad enough that I was intentionally letting all the amazing wild go around, since I knew I'd be getting those howling braves back 11th.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
An auction house is such a bad way to be making a trading card market it's impressive. Let's give you no access to the current price while you're putting a card on the market, filter information in a patently horrible way (Do we really have a need to sort by maximum buyout?) and give no way for a seller to offload their cards quickly, all while having the gall to charge 5% for the convenience. It takes 10 clicks and 3 loading screens to put something up for sale. The market in Magic the Gathering Online is more functional than this, and it's basically a bunch of bots on a bulletin board.

If they wanted to copy an MMOs trading scheme, they should have taken their book from EVE and treated cards like commodities. Let us put up sell orders and especially buy orders, and if they want they could also include market history information within the system. And people would still have peer-to-peer trading if they expect people to care a lot about what's on the double-back of their cards.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gross Dude posted:

I think buy sell orders get complicated when you factor in the whole double back thing. Not sure if it REALLY matters all that much, but each card is a unique object. That being said, I would much prefer buy sell order system over the auction house.

Letting full art cards and foils be their own separate categories covers most of that, and I'd believe that if there are some truly unique cards in the double-back, people would be able to handle them specially.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

LightReaper posted:

I get what you're saying, she's doing the classic stupid pose that dumb male artists think is sexy, and her face is a complete mess - but look at that sword what the poo poo.

She's swinging the sword so fast the air pressure is causing it to bend. That's what you need to do to get 3 power in today's economy.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Only went 3-1 last night. Angels are frustratingly expensive.

Gozzog - Hey Sister

4 scrivener
4 righteous paladin
4 living totem
4 protectorate defender (crusade)
4 Princess Victoria
4 Spearcliff Cloud Knight
4 Spearcliff Pegasus

3 Solitary Exile
2 Stoneskin
4 incantation of righteousness

7 Blood
16 Diamond

SB:
4 Sorrow
4 Soul Marble
1 Immortality
1 Solitary Exile
1 Howling Ambush
4 Blood Aura

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Go RV! posted:

From the spoilers, I'm seeing a few decks that may have potential:

Ruby/Wild Ramp: Scraptech Brawler can create an explosive 5th turn, or earlier. There's a few good new targets, like the wild double-socket tree, so this could be fun.

Mono Blood Aggro: Holy poo poo guys. This is no joke. Fury of the Mountain God, this new Thirst bullshit? The Darkspires? The goddamn zombie Shin'hare? This is a serious deck. Full disclosure, MBA is traditionally by favorite deck, so I may be overhyping it.

Charges.dec: I'll be honest, I don't really know what the hell this is. Polonius dropping fat squirrels seems fun, but the artifacts seem to be the most charge based thus far, making charge dwarves look like a thing. We'll need to wait to see a bit more to see the new champs and where the charges go, though.

I don't think the zombie bunny's going to be that amazing, since ignoring it's always an option and then it's a 1/1 no abilities unless you want it coming into play t4

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hex: All the Angels are Acute
Hex: When Five Mulligans Just Aren't Enough

Istvun fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
September 11. Never forget Set 2.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never been super impressed by sword trainer since so many of the cards that I want to run in my red decks cost 3 or less. Even in the more midrange decks I've got all of these gem-crazed nerds and effigies that I want to be jamming. I guess it'd be good with a lot of the more expensive blue or white drops, but those strategies often don't lend themselves well to the guy.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm going to join it and be afk because the servers are just going to die.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
The best argument for MODO not being F2P is that it costs $10 to make a new account.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use captain sleeves because they look terrible.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really like the dopey living totem art, probably more than this one.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
wow, that card stacking with itself will prove to be rather nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
I am currently 3-0 against my opponents, but 0-2 against Hex TCG for a record of 1-2.

Deck's double corpse fly, Inquisitor, Buccaneer with triple Devoted Emissary alongside triple Mazat ranger and double Shamed Gladiator as goodstuff

Ended up running Bertram because I have a eurig, but probably should have gone for Zared anyways. And maybe this was actually the mythical air superiority deck?

• Locked thread