Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I really like Cryptozoic's reaction to the Pro Player tier whiners - Rather than acquiesce to them, they doubled down on the decision to expand the free drafts and did what was best for the community as a whole.

This feels like a tone-setting act - they aren't going to pander to the loud minorities in the playerbase at any point. They're going to make the game the best they can, loud assholes be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

HiggsBoson81 posted:

It's hard to evaluate them because, no one knows wtf 100% more gold and drops in PvE is worth. Add $312 for the 1 year of free drafts to all the $250 tiers besides Pro Player and whatever you think their particular perk is worth and that's it. The collector tier could be worth a fortune due to limited availability or nothing because no one gives a gently caress about the alternate art. Impossible to say.

I picked the Dungeon Crawler tier in the hopes of using my winnings to "double dip" and purchase the exclusives off the AH until I have playsets of them all. I have no idea if it's feasible, but if I manage to pull it off my double rewards are all profit from that point on.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Can anyone's familiar with the other games this company has made tell whether these guys are prone to power creep? I had to get out of Poxnora for that reason.

I'm probably not qualified to answer this question because I don't play any of Cryptozoic's other TCGs, but a large chunk of the reason I even gave this game a second look is the fact that they managed to make a Magic competitor (The Wow TCG) that managed to last more than a year. Even more impressive is that they did it with a licensed property. If they can keep a card game in print and selling well for 7+ years, they know what they're doing.

(I know that Upper Deck technically started printing it, but when it turned out that UDE was a bunch of forgery-printing criminals the Wow team jumped ship to Cryptozoic. For all practical purposes, it's the same people.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

The one card concept that blew my mind was the 3cc burn spell that does 3 damage to the player and the top three cards of his deck. Nice bears. They're dead now.

Holy poo poo, I never saw that one. That very concept is blowing my mind - you can use burn spells on creatures your opponent hasn't even drawn yet. :psyboom:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Another thing to consider is that there will be constant demand for them - unlike other cards where you acquire 4 of them and you're done for good, you need to constantly resupply your lotuses as you use them.

Lotuses will probably result in an entire sub-market of their own, with producers snapping up Black Tigers, converting them to lotuses, and reselling them.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Make multiple Kickstarter accounts, or pledge on paypal and kickstarter.

Question 2: do the rewards have to be used on one account each, or can you combine them?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I guess part of the benefit of this online format is that they can avoid that situation in the first place. Rather than pay out cash, they can credit the players' account with Platinum if they ever do a "money" tournament.

I doubt that would happen in the first place though. Seems to me most tournaments will pay out in packs anyway. Again, those have absolutely no overhead whatsoever and can be generated on the fly.

There's a reason everyone says that MTGO prints money, and the fact that the company isn't losing any of what gets paid in to printing, shipping, and retailer overhead means every pack and piece of in-game currency sold is pure profit. (They still have development, server, and admin overhead, but that's small change compared to the ones they avoid.)

If this game becomes big, Cryptozoic will be set financially for a looooong time.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 25, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

White letters on a dark background is supposed to cause less eye strain when reading text on a monitor. Contrast is a good thing when legibility is an issue, so that's not it. I usually have to zoom in to read a card when playing DOTP, so it's not limited to Hex's card design. It's just an issue that comes with a DOTP-style UI - things are shrunk down and displayed at an angle, so they're going to be hard to read regardless.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves here. One thing you guys are forgetting is that these first few sets have to pull double duty: they need to act as an introduction to the game for new players and TCG veterans alike.

They have to contain those basic cards that define and exemplify mechanics clearly to new players. A good example of this kind of thing is that in MTG 2CMC 2/2 creatures are commonly referred to as "Bears". In order for that sort of thing to happen, Grizzly Bears had to get printed and become iconic enough to serve as a common reference point.

They also need to contain high level cards that can be used in competitive decks to hook the advanced players. The game will fail if there isn't enough strategy involved to engage high-skill players and form a competitive environment.

Furthermore, they need to set the tone of the entire game while doing both these things. An MTG core set doesn't need to worry about that because the game has 20 years of history behind it, but these sets needs to act as a good "first impressions" to the game and define it.

Edit: I guess my point is that it's kind of pointless to argue about blocks and rotations in Hex when those things don't even exist yet. Let's lay a foundation first and go from there.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 26, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I really appreciate you answering our questions. However, you slightly misinterpreted one of my questions. How many copies of the same card will be allowed? Can I run 4 copies of Extinction or only 3?

Considering the highest tiers give 4 of every card, I assume 4.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I'm wondering about drafting in Hex. Is it going to significantly flood the supply of singles?

If it's both popular and cheap, it would seem that there's likely to be a wild oversupply of cards generally, as everyone buys packs for drafting, both because of lower drafting prices and because of the much greater ease of anytime online tournament matching. I would suspect that this wouldn't be as great a worry with a game like M:TG that prints a limited run of each set, and I suspect it wouldn't be an issue in this game if cards were purchased solely on basis of demand for cards (because of the Glorious Free Market, etc.). But if everyone gets the cards they want, then buys more for drafting, it'd seem like that's a lot of extra cards out there. Which is a problem if we're viewing cards as an investment to any degree or planning on cashing out down the line.

I'd seen various people predict a flood of the initial set in Hex due to the Kickstarter purchases and that wasn't worrying me due to the likelihood that the Kickstarter people are going to be a very small minority of players. But it seems like drafting is a larger concern. Or is this even a concern? Maybe a general flood of cards is a good thing, esp. if the initial set goes out of print (will the initial set go out of print?).

Aside from the price, how is this any different from MTGO? With a few exceptions, commons are incredibly cheap on there. A competitive pauper (common only) deck can be had for less than $2.50.

Commons are just that - common. As for rares, the desirable ones will be expensive, and the crappy ones will be cheap, same as any other TCG. All increasing the supply of cards does is decrease the magnitude of the price.

I'd argue that this is a good thing - one of the big barriers to entry for Magic tournaments is the high cost of competitive decks, and reducing that barrier leads to more people playing in them. It's healthy for the Tourney scene and healthy for the game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The PvE/PvP mixed format is going to be a flood of one-round-kill craziness unless you're only playing with a small group of friends at your same level or something.

I'm imagining that format becoming "MTG Legacy minus the ban list" and it is glorious. :allears:

People will have to make decisions like "Is it worth burning multiple Spectral Lotuses to blow this poor sap out before his first turn?". I can only imagine the tears of rage that will be shed. :getin:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Oh god, I can see it now. 3v1 dungeons. 3 players. Tank... damage.. heals.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how group builds end up, like if there's some raid team that can beat bosses with some secret strat they cooked up and no one else can figure it out yet.

That's actually a good point. Even in MTG there's minimal deck specialization in team games (Though to be fair the only widely played team format is 2HG). Now I'm wondering how the metagame for raids will shake out. Will people just team their solo builds together, or will having one or more players run a specialized support build be the norm?

I'm imagining one person act as the "tank" by running hardcore permission control without any wincons to prevent the boss from touching anyone while his buddies go all in with heavy aggro/midrange builds.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Khorne posted:

Cryptozoic has straight-out said that dungeon crawler is likely the most lucrative $250 tier and they are surprised how poorly it has sold. I think the disconnect is in that no one really knows about pve yet. We have a rough idea of the layout and goals, but we don't actually know how it ultimately plays out. We don't know how the content will be developed, the value of the loot, or any of the other factors. All we can do is speculate.

I find this interesting. I guess it's understandable given the lack of info on how PVE works - the devs obviously know things we don't regarding PVE. The only thing we've seen streamed is PVP matches, which don't feature PVE cards at all. The PVE cards don't need to be balanced for tournament play at all, so for all we know the high end PVE drops could be P9-tier cards that help trivialize dungeons. Having an extra loot roll for cards of that caliber could be incredibly valuable, especially if raids have a lockout.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

No, they've completely failed to explain it beyond it seemingly being the only way to play against an AI.

This is what I was getting at - Of course the Devs (think they) know what the DC tier is "worth" relative to the other tiers - they're the only ones who know what the hell the PVE side of the game entails and what the experience will be like. Players will grab the tiers that look valuable given what they know - the players know exactly what drafting and PVP gameplay entails, so they gobbled up the Pro tier and ignored the PVE tiers.

That said, I'll laugh my rear end off if the devs were right and PVE becomes a hugely popular thing that outshines PVP by a huge amount. You can't buy the kind of entertainment that will exist on the Hex forums courtesy of angry Pro Player pledges if that happens. :allears:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

That actually sounds pretty cool. A guild of tournament junkies could keep a copy of every competitive deck in the bank for playtesting, eliminating the need to hunt down that one guy who happens to have the deck you want to test against.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Have they mentioned this before? Something like player houses?

So, I was wondering about the precedent the Spectral Garden/Spectral Lotus set: are they planning on including more 1-use-only PvE cards? Perhaps something like a Health Potion artifact, that restores a decent chunk of life for cheap but turns into an Empty Bottle after using it (and you can make more Health Potions using Empty Bottles and your Alchemy Set card). Or a Potion of Memory that draws a few cards. Or a Grenade that deals 2 damage to the enemy champion and each troop they control (log in every day to get one free from your Dwarven Tinker Table card, gotten exclusively from a high-level dungeon). And so on.

Well, a lot of MMOs treat consumables as big parts of the game. It's definitely design space that can be explored and consumable cards would make great common drops in dungeons.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Karnegal posted:

- Equipment will be hard to get. You aren't going to just get a legendary every dungeon. Cory scoffed at the idea of having all the equipment without spending serious time or cash.

Suddenly Dungeon Crawler Tier seems more valuable. If they're going to be hard to get, getting 20 random rare/legendary equipments could save a lot of effort.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zurai posted:

On the other hand, their article today states that Raids are the PvE end-game, and Dungeon Crawler doesn't do anything for raids.

According to another poster, there's going to be endgame Expert Dungeons as well:

pumpinglemma posted:

By the way, I asked via a Kickstarter message and there apparently will be expert-level dungeons to go along with the raids in the endgame.

Presumably, Dungeon Crawler will work on those.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Karnegal posted:

This is a good point. If you talk about Magic, no one really considers the 1996 world champion card (of which there is 1) part of a complete collection. Similarly the Garfield proposal and children cards, or the dragon card from the one place in Asia. Realizing this make me feel a little better about the cards. My only real concern is that you won't know the relative quality of cards until it's too late. So, if I go dinosaurs (because they are way cooler than squirrels) and the champion card blows compared to the broken squirrel card, I'm out of luck.

Why would this ever be an issue? SOMEBODY will spoil these cards long before the average player manages to complete the dungeon. If other MMO communities are any indication, any upcoming cards will be datamined and posted on the internet long before the patch drops. And failing that, the World First crowd will have screenshots of the new cards up within hours of release.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Go RV! posted:

I'm loving these new opponent deck manipulation cards. Between the Booby Traps and this new one, I'm wondering how effective a "gently caress your deck" build would be. Consistency would be an issue, but we've still got a number of cards to see yet.

Oddly I've only seen one other card game try loving with an opponent's library in a meaningful fashion: Yugioh's Parasite Paracide card. It gets shuffled into your opponent's deck face up and if they draw it, it's immediately summoned to their side of the field they lose a large chunk of life points.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I'm fairly surprised that they've allowed them to stack. It seems like a really loose choice (it also encourages people with the bonus to look for others with it as opposed to spreading it around).

It's the least they could do. That tier's exclusives (+1 card for teammates in raids and an exclusive lifegain/damage prevention card) don't exactly scream "Buy me!" as loudly as the other tiers:

-Pro Player (Duh)
-Dungeon Crawler (20 super hard to get equipments [the Q&As have been stressing this] for free + double loot from dungeon bosses forever)
-Collector tier (extras of all the exclusive cards that can only go up in value + 2x6 per year afterward)

Hell, at least the Guild Master comes with $45 worth of boosters to make up for that fact that you exist solely to be a living exp boost in any guild that takes you in. (The inevitable goon guild will likely have a bunch of people with Grand King or higher, so I see no point to getting it - I'll get the exp boost regardless of what tier I pick.)

Don't get me wrong - Raid Leader's bonus is very helpful, but the raids won't be balanced around it and it has Guild Leader's problem of being too easy to leech from a buddy. Being able to stack it just takes it from "Meh, I can live without it." to "Potentially broken! (If I can find two people who also have the tier!)".

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

If you aren't interested in the $250 tier bonuses, double-pledging as King grants the most boosters of any $250 option (310 total not counting your two Primal packs) and guarantees you a playset of the exclusives (minus the Lotus garden, which you get two of). It's a decent alternative to the Collector Tier that's worth getting if you don't care about the drafts or 6 exclusive alt art cards per year.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

BenRGamer posted:

Well, uh... this is a thing.

That's hilarious! I love that Cory has a good sense of humor about himself. He's the prettiest princess. ;-*

Not to mention that the card looks fun to use.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Cory just went on record as saying that Dungeon Crawler does work for raids as far as he knows!

Well, my decision to grab that tier a few weeks back just got justified. Holy poo poo.

I bet everyone that snagged one just before they ran out feels REALLY good right now.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Can someone dumb this down for me? Does this imply that cards in boosters are actually not going to be randomly generated? How would you tune a pack of cards for a draft if you pass the pack after each card pick? My brain :psyduck:

Basically, there is no cost effective way to truly randomize a printed booster pack, so the printers have a bunch of mixed up printsheets that they print to give the illusion of a random distribution. There is a pattern, but it's very complex and it won't be obvious a pattern exists unless you open hundreds of packs. The set designers use this to their advantage for limited and lay the sheets out so that the common/uncommon sheets will have a good mix of cards for drafting purposes, and ensures no packs exist that contain nothing but unusable crap. This is what they mean when they refer to the packs being "tuned for drafting".

In a related case, there is an entire community that engages in something called box mapping, which attempts to predict what rares you will open up in a given box. Basically, you open 3 or 4 "key packs" and their position in the box can inform you which packs have what rare in that box. People use this to their advantage by cherry-picking the packs with money rares, and selling off the crap rares individually, still sealed in their boosters. Due to the risk of unscrupulous stores engaging in this practice, you should always purchase packs sealed in Booster Boxes when possible.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Update just went out. DC will NOT grant extra loot in raids.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Personally, I'm going to stick with it. The bonus is good enough that it's worth getting even if it doesn't work in raids.

signalnoise posted:

That stretch goal is worthless to me unfortunately and will probably annoy the poo poo out of me because I won't be able to go to it and they'll likely hand out some exclusive poo poo

Yeah, a Vegas trip for card game crap would be a little too much for me. The only way that trip is happening is if A) it happens next spring and B) I can convince my sister to let me stuff myself in one of her bags when she goes to Vegas for her honeymoon.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Unless you're really into drafting I'm not sure how much value extra king sets are gonna have. All the accumulated packs from a single King are going to get you a pretty large collection of rares, and there's likely to be an AH glut of the first set, at least initially, so it shouldn't be that hard to fill out a first-set playset with just a little extra cash or time beyond the initial King. An extra king just seems like you'd be buying yourself a lot of extra copies of things you probably already had by that point.

Yeah, the hard part will be completing playsets of the kickstarter exclusives, which a LOT of people will be gunning for from day 1.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

The PvP Kickstarter cards are just exclusive alternate art though, you can still get normal versions of them from packs.

I'm referring more to the PVE cards. Those won't be available any other way.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tamba posted:

It doesn't even matter if they don't reach the goal. The worst that could happen is that the con happens later than they originally planned, but if they really want to do one they'll do it.
Of course no one will get the free entry, but if you can afford a trip to Vegas the entry fee won't break the bank.

Plus there's nothing stopping them from going "gently caress it, close enough. You get the stretch bonus anyway."

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

I keep thinking that a year from now, lotus gardens will be a de facto currency in the game.

There's going to be around 10,000 Lotus Gardens in existence. That's not nearly enough to be a currency. Far more likely is that the lotuses themselves will be currency.

Ed: poo poo, this is going to come to the wire re: the last stretch goal. Really close now with Paypal included.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

And it's gone.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Grim posted:

17765 total Kickstarter backers (plus a couple of hundred minimum PayPal backers), at least 7545 copies of the Spectral Lotus + Black Tiger equipment between them - I wonder if there will be any way to craft / loot equipment for the Kickstarter exclusive cards? If not then those gloves are going to be pretty good trades (I can't imagine many people trading / selling their actual Spectral Lotus Gardens)

Edit: if you take the last reported PayPal numbers and divide it by the average pledge then there may be as many as 1500 PayPal backers

Don't forget that any tier that includes the Collector bonus gives a second copy, so based on my quickie math (I have no clue what the paypal numbers are, so all rounding is based on kickstarter numbers + rounding up sold out tiers to the max number i.e. assume 1000 pro player sold despite only 913 on KS) there are around 9264 gardens in circulation.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, we're going to get user-run leagues at some point post-launch (with the capacity to charge entrance fees which go into a prize pot and so on). One popular Magic format is pauper, which only allows use of commons and is therefore incredibly cheap to buy into. CZE have said they'll run occasional official pauper tournaments, and I'd be amazed if no-one puts together a big pauper league.

Hell, between the fuckload of boosters from the Kickstarter and Drafts being cheap, you'll probably be able to put together a full selection of the best pauper decks for approximately $free. There's going to be a glut of commons so large people will probably won't be able to give the drat things away.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

It's been confirmed that Primal packs are visibly Primal from the moment they're generated (and they can't be used in drafts).

This is a bit of genius on the devs' part - if a drafter is buying packs for an event and gets one, they have to buy a 4th pack to actually enter the draft. As a result, a lot of the primals that get generated will result in an extra booster sale. Crypto makes more money and the player isn't annoyed because they just got 15 packs worth of rares/legendaries.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

He's still riding the hype from the really good reception that the kickstarter had. I really feel like too many people are counting on this to be 'the next Magic'. I'll be ecstatic if this game reaches WoWTCG numbers before the new year. If it goes on to really 'kill MTG' in 2014 then :aaaaa: but lets be honest. People really like their cardboard collections. Digital can't entirely replace the physical experience of tournaments, booster opening, FNM, kitchen table Magic, etc. Not until we have holodecks anyways.

My view is this: For me, Hex is competing with Magic Online and Duels of the Planeswalkers, not paper Magic. I will continue to go to FNM same as I always have, and I'll play Hex to get my TCG fix the rest of the week. No matter how fun Hex is, it can't replicate the feeling of slinging cardboard with a person present. However, I think the two can coexist.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kakesu posted:

From the description on the Hex site, it sounds like you can use Countermagic to counter an action triggered from a card, not just a new card entering play. Whether that justifies its cost, I can't say...I'm too much of a TCG noob to start evaluating that yet.

Huh, so Hex counterspells have Stifle's effect built in. That's certainly a way to do it. I know 3 mana counters aren't very exciting to seasoned Magic players, but that plus the cost increase might push it into 'playable' territory at 3 mana.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

New update out. Looks like Christie Golden will be the novel author. Can't check them from work, but the Gencon decklists are up, and apparently have new cards in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gross Dude posted:

I just learned about this game (Extremely bummed I missed out on the kickstarter) and have been devouring any information I can get my hands on regarding it. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is how or if sets will rotate. Will Set 1 be available forever? Will they stop selling it at some point? Will there be the equivalents on Magic's Legacy and Standard?

We have no clue how things are going to shake out. Magic's formats sort of sprung into being as the game matured, so those decisions will likely be made down the road. The first set has to lay a lot of groundwork and set the tone for the entire game, so I wouldn't expect anything too crazy.

That said, I'm looking forward to PVE the most. I love the idea of that format, since it allows them to go crazy with the fun overpowered stuff without worrying about warping the PVP game.

• Locked thread