Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Less power creep than magic is good enough for me. So long as it isn't "be current or lose" that's ok

This is categorically wrong.

WoW TCG is on a 2 block rotation where almost every set dramatically changes the meta and introduces expensive new staple cards. Competitive decks have been as or more expensive than Magic decks (Standard) for the past couple of years.

As a long-term WoW TCG player, I'm shocked so many people are treating CZE's management of it as a selling point.

Since taking the game over in 2010, a few of the less stellar changes they've made:

-Dungeon treasure pack epics. To push sales for this spinoff product with increased MSRP ($6 boosters), CZE started printing absurdly powerful epics (rarer than "rare") in them. The worst of these, Edwin Van Cleef, was basically a must-have for every deck in the format for most of last year and peaked at >200$/copy before Nationals. The most recent one is Archimonde the Despoiler, which is currently selling at 130$/copy: http://www.warcraftgamingcenter.com/arhaofsa.html .

-Creatures, creatures, creatures. The most powerful cards in earlier blocks were cards restricted to very specific deck types, which made for a diverse, interesting, and inexpensive meta. In every set CZE has produced, the most powerful cards have been creatures that can be used by almost any deck. Meanwhile, the things that made WoW TCG interesting and distinct, quests and class-specific cards, have been marginalized to near-irrelevance. This makes for a very homogenous game: >70% of the recent Realm Championships events were won by the same deck archetype.

-Prizes...? http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21424

tl;dr : Under CZE, WoW TCG has consistently become way less interesting and way more expensive than it was under UDE.

HEX looks cool to be sure. I'm just mystified to keep seeing WoW TCG toted as a feather in CZE's cap, since I would almost be happier to see Hex coming from a totally unknown company at this point.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
signalnoise -

I was objecting to the "no need to keep up with things" statement.

Like with Magic, the main competitive format for WoW TCG includes only the 2 the most recent "blocks", with each year being a block of three sets.
Even ignoring what cards new sets introduce (which often put completely new decks way above existing ones), the rotation of blocks would force you to
regularly invest to keep up.

For example, this November, 3 of the 5 currently legal sets will rotate out and it's unlikely any of the top-tier decks of now will remain viable.

Karnegal posted:

My understanding is that the CZ team is largely the same as the UDE one.

Several key people from UDE transitioned to CZE. I don't know to what extent it is "largely the same," especially on the business side, which I suspect is the driving influence behind 200$ must-have ultra rares.

Patrick Sullivan was the lead designer of WoW TCG under Cryptozoic, and about six months ago he left for Gary Games (Ascension, Solforge). A lot of players were hoping some of the currently frustrating elements of the game like homogeneous creature-based decks would go with him, but the most recent sets have continued the trend.

To give you another example of the homogeneity I'm talking about, these are the top decks from US Nationals 2012:
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/live-coverage/north-american-continental-championship-2012/nacc-top-16-decklists

Notice how many players are playing exactly the same hero (Jaral) and how many copies of Edwin are there, which at the time was selling for >200$.

These are the top decks from the same event one year earlier, using mostly UDE sets:
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/live-coverage/north-american-continental-championship-2011/nacc-top-8-decklists

8/8 unique heroes, 8 very different deck archetypes, 2-3 of which had never been seen before.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 25, 2013

• Locked thread