Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ReadingZucchini posted:

Have they stated if or how frequently cards will be phased out of legal play? Is it going to be like MtG block format or someththing else?

I seem to recall them saying they intend to support at least two formats--one with only the previous two years of cards, and one with all cards. No idea on whether sets will be grouped into blocks or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Selane posted:

Yeah, but Hex doesn't have equipment(in that sense, anyway), or even local enchantments as far as I can tell. So it shouldn't be quite so ridiculous.

Actions that gives permanent boosts are basically the same as auras (a smidgen better, even, because the boost stays on the card if it gets bounced).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Some Numbers posted:

That also assumes that the copy shuffles back in and Escalates too.

This being a digital game, I can see that actually happening, but until I get confirmation, I'm not going assume Overcharge is THAT insane.

It actually assumes only that the copy's escalate will double the second copy of Ragefire in your hand--it doesn't care one way or another what happens to the copy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Some Numbers posted:

I guess what I'm thinking is that Escalation reads "shuffle this card in. Then, double the number on all cards with the same name."

If the copy doesn't shuffle in, I can't see it actually Escalating. However, I'm operating on Magic rules at the moment, so it's totally possible that it'll work just fine.

Actually, rerereading Escalation, it saying "each card in your deck, hand and graveyard," which would indicate that copies on the stack won't Escalate.

Actually, if it works exactly like magic, then the copy would double your other cards--in magic, if parts of an instruction are impossible, the game will just do whatever it can. The shuffle is (potentially) impossible, but the doubling can and would still happen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

signalnoise posted:

So the question then is when do the free drafts start and when do the sets come out?

Probably every 3-4 months once it gets up and running. I'd be surprised if the second set is released less than 2 months after the transition from out of beta, though, which would mean about a year after the beta goes live.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think they've given a precise release date on Beta but from what I have heard them say they intend to release the full game "as soon as possible" after Beta, a matter of months.

I thought the timeline was September 2013 for the beta, and July 2014 for the full release.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vincent Valentine posted:

That also implies that you'll be getting your KS rewards when the beta goes live, as there'd be no reason to link your accounts if you weren't. Which people said would be really bad due to getting a year of drafts during the beta period.

They've actually answered this question. The first part of the beta will be a true testing beta. Once PvP is completely finished, they'll reset all the accounts and distribute kickstarter rewards. The beta will continue while PvE is being finished.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Given they've decided to directly compete with magic online rather than carve out a different niche, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing daily articles once the site is up--probably not as much content as dailymtg, but enough that the meet the bar set by their rival.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

If Cryptozoic is genuine in their fan-first stance, it seems like they would opt to make it common. Buying expensive mana cards doesn't seem fun. :yayclod:

Fixing at common can mess with limited environments too much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CountFosco posted:

Given the fact that ROE had prophetic prism and terramorphic expanse (or was it evolving wilds?) at common and is widely considered one of the best formats ever, I'll go ahead and say no. Innistrad had traveler's amulet for fixing too, in a pinch. Modern masters was specifically designed to be fun to draft and has lots of fixing at uncommon and common.

Magic does usually have one or two colorless fixing cards at common in sets, but very rarely more than that outside of multicolor blocks, and even more rarely have constructed-quality colorless fixing at common. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the signets in Ravnica block.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

signalnoise posted:

I just hope that legendaries are few and in 150 packs you can expect to get everything you're going to want.

This seems incredibly unlikely. Hex's first set is larger than anything in magic, where you would on average need 484 packs to get four of every mythic, and you'd need a lot more than that to have a reliable shot at it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh, there's actually mechanical benefits for being in a successful guild? I wonder if that's done by average placing, or by how many good placings the guild can field. If it's the latter, you could have any number of people get "carried" by a much smaller number of skilled players consistently t8ing.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 21, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BenRGamer posted:

Ah, sorry, typing this all up on a vita at the moment so I try to type fewer words. Didn't know that was the case.

On topic, official forums say Spirit Dance is gonna be a really powerful deck thinner, thoughts?

A decent comparison is the magic card Mirari's Wake, which was a central but not overbearing card in its format. Spirit Dance seems a lot weaker, though. For one thing, you kill off all your small utility dudes, which does make it more likely to draw big guys, but also reduces the overall creature density of your deck--your chance of drawing a resource or action, which do not benefit from Spirit Dance at all, both also go up. Compared to Mirari's Wake, the cost benefit is significantly lower--reducing by two instead of cutting in half--and it only effects troops. +2/-2 vs +1/+1 is mostly a wash.

Overall, while I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit Dance saw play, I don't think it'll be a linchpin in any format-defining decks, and if it is played, deck thinning won't be the reason.

e: It also doesn't affect the troops in your hand, which is unfortunate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Doc Aquatic posted:

On the other hand, a deck made entirely out of resources, creatures with 2 toughness and spells with Escalation could be pretty useful if creatures reduced to 0 toughness in the deck go straight to the discard without needing to be drawn.

When all you're drawing is Escalation and resources, and you have some chump blockers out before the spirit dance comes into play, you'd significantly increase your chances of getting the same Ragefires back and burning your opponent really hard.

Granted, I'm an idiot at CCGs so I have no idea if it'd be workable, but it sounds reasonable in theory.

If your plan is to draw escalation spells over and over, wouldn't it be better to just play draw/filtering actions in the first place, and just out the middleman of Spirit Dance and 2-defense creatures?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there's a good idea of what the delay between set one and set two will be, that could help inform how many to sell--just make an educated guess at how many drafts you'll do before then, and sell the rest of the boosters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd be shocked if they don't have symbols in the final release.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's definitely a good counterspell, tacking an extra 2 on to every single spell with the same name is pretty sweet. On the other hand it's not 2 CMC and it's the only counter we've seen so I think they're trying to make it balanced.

Yeah, it's hard to be excited by any counterspell that costs three, no matter what the rider is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The current symbol for mana is completely unreadable. I hope that's not the final version.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hex-a-goon is way better than any of those names what's wrong with you people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All we need is a two mana mana-rock and that dwarf is starting to look a little bit busted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Go RV! posted:

Hopefully the Wild West format (PvP with equipment. or whatever they decide to call it, that's an awful name) will be a popular format. It seems like it could be hilarious.

We already have dark ritual an black lotus for that format, so I can't imagine it'll be anything but completely busted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blinkman987 posted:

When I used the term "weeks," I was literally guessing. We just can't know until we see how the servers react. I felt the need to say something because assumptions were being made and began to spread amongst the community.

Something that's weighing on me is that players aren't familiar with alpha games and as much as we're trying to get the message of "alphas are bug-filled and crash by nature," players are expecting a 24/7 buffet of gaming.

Just put "This is an alpha. There will be bugs. You have been warned." in big flashing red block letters on the login screen. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did I miss it, or are there no counterspells in the first wave of alpha cards?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually curious how the set was playtested enough for the designers to be confident in the card set while the alpha was in this state.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finally got around to getting the beta. It's basically what I expected--duels of the planeswalkers crossed with mtgo.

One annoying thing I noticed is that in limited tournaments, you stay sideboarded between rounds, and have to manually de-board. I like that you can change your mainboard between rounds if you decide you built your deck wrong, but I don't like having to undo things like bringing in Atrophy against a deck with a lot of one-toughness dudes.

On the other hand, being a relatively competent drafter from mtg is basically free wins since there's no self-segregation into 4-3-2-2 and 8-4.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 18, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any resource with an up-to-date card list? The first few results on google are incredibly out-of-date, and the image files in the game folder are small and hard to read.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh thanks, I assumed that one was out of date when I failed to find a specific blood card, without realizing it wasn't actually sorted by color.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Afgad posted:

In other TCGs, have old set booster packs gone up in price over time or what? Do packs tend to sell for more than the cards they contain, if sold separately?

In MTG old booster boxes are worth a ton, but that's because all you need to draft is some boosters and some friends. In this game, you also need the server to be willing to let you draft, and I'm sure sets will phase out once there's enough of them, and booster prices will plummet once they're no longer useful for drafting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I cannot draft an aggro deck without being paired against a deck where every single card incidentally gains life in round one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zurai posted:

Lifegain stall decks are actually surprisingly decent in Hex, even without Righteous Paladins. I've done really well with Dimmid as a champion.

I just haven't faced them at all except when drafting R/x aggro decks.

It's ok, I won this time it was just frustrating for my opponent to have a bunch of bad cards that counter exactly this strategy and no other frustratingly well in the main deck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ruby Aura is pretty good and I'll pretty much always play the first two I find, though I'll side them out against removal-heavy opponents. I wouldn't take it too highly though--having enough creatures is really important in this format, so while I'd take it over mediocre creatures, I'd basically never take it over a good creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any way in-client to remind yourself what socket gems exist while you're drafting?

• Locked thread