Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Do you need the invite to start downloading the client?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Would it be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to package up the game and create the torrent for it?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I've been having a ton of fun this this deck, not so much with my opponents.

4 Argus, Herald of Doom
4 Dwarven Turbine
4 Secret Labotory
4 Sliver of the Immortal Spear
4 Demented Demolisher
4 Extinction
4 Blinding Light
4 Eternal Youth
4 Immortality
12 Blood Shard
13 Diamond Shard

The deck started out with simply trying to make Immortal Spear viable but it turns out that not only is Argus a strong midgame a shocking number of people don't have an answer to him on turn 6-8.

The deck basically plays as turbo fog except there are fewer fogs and the fogs that do exist also protect against burn. Also while Eternal Youth is sometimes a little worse than fog the first time or two you play it later in the game it's functionally two or more turns worth of health.

Depending on the opponent and how much pressure they are putting on you often want to delay an Argus until you can back it with a Blinding Light.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Blood has Murder and Extinction but all of the other answers are either damage based and therefor can be prevented or fairly narrow and don't see much play. Basically against blood you cycle him away Lab and against pretty much everyone else you can be fairly reliable about sticking him.

BenRGamer posted:

I've actually found Argus to be the opposite--because it let's you know it's coming, so I can save a murder for it or something.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Not true.

Wild has Nature Reigns, Ruby has Total Meltdown, and Sapphire has Polymorph Dingler, Mesmerize, and Mimic, which would destroy your Argus as it's Unique.

I've played a fair amount and of that cards you listed the only ones I've seen getting play are Polymorph and Mimic, and not that much of them either. I am assuming people aren't running the other ones because they are narrow given the targets that are in the card pool but there could be some other reason I'm missing. Also your list is missing Turbulence.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Seconding that it's super annoying when coming back after a while. I want to look through the cards and see whats new and it's painfully slow to sift through them, also I considered Doing a sealed but again, not having the images load properly is a bit a of a deterrent.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I've just finished drafting monocolor. I have created the 6x Honeycap 1x Brave deck. I'm hoping my lack of ramp won't hose me.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Opponent is stalling super hard with bird of plenty that I have no way of removing. Stall until he has 18 cards left and then swing with a 18 power War Bot. Feels good to win something with the pile I drafted.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
This is probably one of the more profitable times to be drafting, the field is still very soft and while I don't know that the prizes will go down I wouldn't be surprised if the gold reward gets lowered.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
It also looks like all backers are getting a key to give away. Is there anyone lurking that is looking for one?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are a lot of similarities but at this stage of things they can't really admit that. Remember, there's a big difference between "this game is a knockoff" and "this game is a legally actionable knockoff."

I would like to see CZE's Answer but I imagine that'll take a few more weeks.

This is truth. I've just tuned anyone who doesn't claim to have some sort of legal education out. When things are complicated enough that people with training and experience say they aren't sure how things will shake out I see no reason to listen to anyone else.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I think cracking a few packs is fine. I got in at king and cracked until I had 100 packs left. That is enough packs for me to draft forever while also enough cards opened that I have a better idea what I should aim for when rare drafting, and later on trading.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I have a code that is up for grabs, drop me a PM and I'll ship it.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

MerrMan posted:

So, obviously small sample size but my deck full of X/1 just did not fare very well at all. The draft went sideways pretty early and I didn't expect to go very far, so I wasn't terribly disappointed.

Ruby Aura is super important in mono ruby decks, they pretty much force your opponent to deal with your creature out of combat. If you are also playing Diamond strongly consider making room for multiple Radiant Armors and Diamond Auras, if you deck is aggressive enough Bravery might even be good. The first two will pretty much always turn "Lets trade" into "Your guy is dead and I have a monster", I wouldn't play guys like the 1/1 Rage 2 without them.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Draft was taking forever so I tabbed and missed a good chunk of pack 1, draft now set to expert difficulty.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Just had an interesting draft, first seven picks were

Rare draft Immortality
Murder
Wild Aura
Blood Aura
Wild Growth
Wild Growth
Sorrow

And at the end of pack 1 I had two creatures. Was a little worried but I like how the deck turned out.

Zared Venomscorn:

3 Wild Growth
3 Cottontail Ronin
2 Wild Child
2 Vine Trap
2 Sarkspire Enforcer
1 Howling Brave
1 Bolder Brute (Spellshield)
1 Murder
2 Sorrow
2 Wild Aura
1 Blood Aura
1 Atrophy
1 Tyrannasaurus Hex
10 Wild Shard
7 Blood Shard

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Is 3 Burn to the Grounds, 2 Solitary Exiles, 1 Inner Conflict, 1 Wind Whisperer, 1 Repel and a Sniper of Gawaine too much for 1 draft deck? Maybe... But I'm going to run them anyway.

I don't really like sniper that much, I'd run a more substantial creature over him.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Afgad posted:

Did competitive draft get a lot harder lately or is it just me?

I spent all yesterday losing, part of it was on me but I definitely faced some people with solid decks and tight play. I'm sad because less free boosters and rare drafting is actually costing me games, but I'm happy that it's getting to be better practice.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm fully aware my deck building and play definitely are major culprits in my losing. I've lot a lot of games to stupid little mistakes and had more that I should have lost due to mistakes. I have also lost some to experimentation and whimsy, turns out trying to force Honeycap plus Briar Elemental some times just goes poorly. I have learned that the pool of playable cards is deeper than I thought, I've been having a lot of luck with Headless Executioner just due to the face with Venomscorn, Blood Aura, and black removal you can remove any single creatures that can take it on and make stack blocking very risky. Another card that is underrated is Arcane Shield. The nature of the game is more creature oriented with the last unanswered bomb or Auraed creature often deciding it. Being able to protect it and turn off most of the answers is strong.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
My two cents, while I have only drafted 15ish games most of them have involved me playing blood and I feel comfortable saying I think Venomscorn is just better than the other blood champs. I have gone so far as to splash Venomscorn, he is just that much better than the other champions. On top of all the other things people have listed stacks really well with Sorrow(and Atrophy), with the two it is hard to not blow someone out.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
So this was a game that happened.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Its cost is still 4, it looks like. Maybe that mass bounce spell? I'm having a hard time thinking of other effects that bounce opposing permanents but don't increase their cost. That 6-cost robot dwarf, but that's obviously not the case here.

You got it, it was the mass bounce spell. It was a 6/6 buffed to 8/8 with the Aura and replayed at seven shards.

Had another fun game in that draft.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Go RV! posted:

How well do we think Suicide Black Blood would do in the format? Just the most horribly aggressive deck possible.

I'm thinking:
Bun'jutsu
4x Fang of the Mountain God
4x Shamed Gladiator (gem undecided)
4x Darkspire Priestess
4x Throat Cutter
4x Claw of the Mountain God
4x Corrupt Harvester
4x Blood Aura
4x Murder
8x other stuff
20x Blood Shards

I'm not sure how often I'd hit 5 resources for Terrible Transfer/Bunjutsu. Could use another 1 drop, but that's a really bad slot for blood, only Blood Bearer is half decent here. I'll probably end up throwing in a Vampire Lord if I can afford it, or a set of Corpse Flies.

I'd run Inquisition, with decks this aggressive only a few of your opponent's cards will be relevant and this helps deal with them.

I don't have the pieces for it yet but I think a Comet Strike deck could be viable, basically stall until you can land a strike and turn the game into a topdeck war where you have 4x each of Burn to the Ground, Life Siphion, and Peek.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Go RV! posted:

What really gets me is the size stuff. Avalanche Giant is loving huge in the art, but it's only 3/4.

Meanwhile Captain of the Dragon Guard is 4/4. He could straight up kill this massive giant. Is this some Shadow of the Colossus poo poo? If he was named, like King Gabriel, I would be more understanding. This us some random mook though.

That is a very dangerous line of thought because that is exactly what got cards like Sivitri Scarzam got printed.

Slifter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Gross Dude posted:

In mtg a squirrel can kill a caribou no problem.

http://tinyurl.com/kj8l6eq

Go RV! posted:

I thought it was that the Wizards guys wanted to make their D&D characters canon.

But really, I mean that there should be some limits on how big a normal human can get without being a Special Case, like a named character or something. I haven't played MtG for a while, but I know they have rules about that sort of thing. A standard, everyday guy is probably 0/1 or 1/1. Knights are 2/2. The biggest a normal human can get is about 3/3 (Going off of memory here).

I'd love to see some similar guidelines in Hex, so that we don't get weird Avalanche Giant situations.

In the recent past humans have topped out at around 4/4 to 5/5. There are so many other silly and unintuitive things that happen in the game that the size of creatures isn't eveb on my radar. If it makes you feel any better think of it as the humans pulling a David vs Goliath or doing something else clever.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Grim posted:

Minotaur Mercenary + Cerebral Fulmination + Inferno + Comet Strike + This Joke Is Getting Old

Don't dis Comet Strike, I've been doing pretty well with it in the 128 man tournaments.

Or do and sell me your for cheap, I'll pay goons 200 plat each.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The deck is pretty simple, durdle really hard to get to ten, drop a giant rock to flatten the field, and then cast a lethal X spell. Against people who does durdling of their own this deck does really well, I can interact with them better than they can with me. Someone playing heavy blood with discard can be a problem, balls out aggro can be a problem, and anyone playing X spells of their own is a problem.

Wyatt

15 Sapphire Shard
11 Blood Shard

4 Life Siphon
4 Burn to the Ground
4 Peek

3 Surge Mechanism
4 Oracle Song
4 Storm Call
4 Extinction
3 Mastery of Time
4 Comet Strike

Reserves
4 Sorrow
3 Phoenix Guard Scout
4 Inqisition
4 Countermagic

Going card by card.

Wyatt
Some times you need this to get gas/shards early but ideal you save his ability for after the comet strike to be able to close out the game as fast as possible. Kranok gives more cards but you don't normally have 4-6 life to spare.

15 Sapphire Shard
11 Blood Shard
The main goals are to get double blood for Extinction and then the rest sapphire for Peek, I haven't messed with this too much but it seems to work ok. Adding Ruby to make the Burn to the Grounds live pre Comet is tempting but would be a big hit to consistancy. Might want to go up as high as 27, playing a shard every turn is really important.

4 Life Siphon
4 Burn to the Ground
4 Peek
Play one of these after a Comet and the game is generally over, Siphon and Peek have good utility pre Comet but sadly Burn is dead.

3 Surge Mechanism
This helps ramp up to 10 for Comet and adds more value to every turn you buy with Mastery, Extinction, or Storm Call.

4 Oracle Song
The best turn three play and generally useful to have.

4 Storm Call
4 Extinction
3 Mastery of Time
These are all different ways of giving you another turn to play shards and draw into Comet Strike. Yesterday is also an option, with testing it may replace Master of Time since it levies a cost on my opponent at the cost of giving them a card.

4 Comet Strike
The big daddy, the best answer to shenanigans people are trying to play, and the most hilarious way to fog someone's attack.

Reserves

4 Sorrow
3 Phoenix Guard Scout
These are my concession to the fact that this deck probably loses to any deck with Savage Raider. It's untested because so far I've only faced other durdley control and midrange decks.

4 Inquisition
Running a Comet Strike into a counter is really sad, this helps prevent that from happening.

4 Countermagic
Some times other people are unsporting and play their own X Spells, this helps against that possibility post Strike as well as helps me push my Comet Strike past counters.

While it's not a stellar record I've gone 2/1/0 where I crashed out just before round 4 started and then went 3/1 in the following tournament. I freely admit that I've been a little lucky not to face a super aggressive deck like the one posted above, however it isn't completely unexpected because part of the reason I made this deck was to target the unbalanced meta.

Right now the main thing I'm looking at as far as changes is swapping in white for Immortality and Blinding Light. They fill the same function as fogs while having the advantage of being cheaper and effective against direct damage and my opponent's X spells post Comet. Losing Peek and Oracles Song would be rough, and I'm not sure what all would be able to fill in for them. Pact of Pain and Eternal Youth would probably be the best choice.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Go RV! posted:

I love it.

The only thing is, I'm not sure why I'd run Comet Strike over a Lodegan/Transmog finisher (Prophet at 7, activate on 8, swing and win). Especially since Transmog hits 2 resources earlier.

Mostly because Comet Strike is awesome, as is the the pause the first time you play it every match.

Also Comet Strike is a lot less interactive. Unless you have 15 mana you are going to have to pass the turn with permanents in play that they can kill, and even if you do they still get a chance to play an Extinction or a bunch of removal, or could even have blockers. On the other hand Comet Strike can only be interacted with with a counter or discard, and being a quick action you have more flexibility to slip it in where it has the most impact. It also voids hands and discard piles which shuts down most things your opponent could be doing that would stop you.

I've been tinkering around, I may stream a tournament one of these days.

e: Yeah, right now trading one for with just doesn't work when the removal is so expensive and doesn't have an additional upside. Basically there is no good way to deal with a Savage Raider other than a sweeper.

Slifter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 14, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'm actually with Tamba on this, part of why this deck is working so well is because right now people can't seem to get enough of their Angels and Soul Marbles. That match up is also why I'm considering switching to Diamond, it's fogs are better and cheaper.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The orc isn't constructed playable in the current format but honestly I think most creatures are unplayable. I do think Scheme might be playable, both with escalate in control decks and just to allow you cut down on the number of win conditions.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Running a draft with a couple of other goons providing commentary. http://www.twitch.tv/slifter/

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Go RV! posted:

I know that, but man. It's the Johnny Dream to take the janky rogue deck to the tourney and win. Plus, you win by a comet hitting a planet. Holy poo poo.

I'll definitely either run one of other two. I'll be around tonight if anyone wants to do some testing. My in-game is Disappointment.

Right now if I was to play and and wanted to win I'd take this list.

Kranok

10 Blood Shard
12 Diamond Shard
4 Shards of Fate

4 Life Siphon
4 Burn to the Ground

4 Immortality
2 Surge Mechanism
4 Pact of Pain
4 Eternal Youth
4 Blinding Light
4 Extinction

4 Comet Strike

Reserve

4x Inquisition
4x Sorrow

This is generally stronger than the Sapphire version with a little less consistency.

Not really sure about all the cards in the sideboard. Sorrow helps against Orcs while Inquisition helps against those running counters. Pretty much every other card I can think of helps one of those matchups, and this deck can't afford to sideboard more than 4 cards at once.

Slifter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
More updates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlILks1V1A

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'd strongly consider +1/+1 and spell shield.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Go RV! posted:

Hex: Shards of Fate - When I get that feeling, I want hexual healing

This, or something about Fish Hands.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Hex: Shards of Fate - Kind of like Magic the Ga FISH HANDS!

Taking the best of both worlds...

Hex: Shards of Fate - Keep your Fish Hands away from my Cockatwice.

Ok, pretty sure this is the winner (Fish) Hands down.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
People were talking about it a little earlier but I'd also be interested in doing some competitive testing and brewing. My in game handle is also Slifter, feel free to add me.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Kinda annoyed, just got a response from customer service that states because I managed to win a match where I lost a game due to a bug I would not get compensated. Therefor in the future I'll be sure to throw the finals of any draft where I experience a bug, people that don't understand games being in charge of them annoy me.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Grim posted:

So you won / went on to the next round of the draft? I don't see that as a huge problem if so...

The problem is now in the future if I run into the same situation I need to choose between winning and getting maximum value. I'm just unhappy that there is a difference at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I honestly think the number 1 thing they should do is kick the next set out the door. The player base has and will forgive a lot of things including heinous bugs, however apathy from the stagnant environment is not one of them. As much anything I'm reminded of http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Cool-Cam.aspx

• Locked thread