Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OBi posted:

I was reading through the cards from the rewards in more detail. I already want a Replicators Gambit / Pack Raptor deck.

That was my thought exactly after seeing those two cards.

There will surely be balance passes, though. For example, assuming you can pay 0 for an X cost, Orson's Dream with its first equipment is basically an infinity/infinity creature as soon as you play it, and with its second equipment it's very difficult to actually get rid of (needs a global or something that makes the owner target it for destruction).

Hell, Pack Raptor is incredibly strong by itself. It's a Plague Rats for 2 less cost that generates more of itself AND has a special ability that I'm assuming is first strike (it isn't haste; that's called speed in Hex). I'm not expecting it to survive until release as 1-cost.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

We have seen almost nothing of the flavor of the game. There's one very brief page on each major race and that's about it.

And the Vennen are just male orc-drider Drow.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm actually reasonably certain they've said that while most cards gained through PvE are PvE-only, not all of them are. Also, you get in-game currency via PvE.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Hey there. So, I think maybe my reading comprehension is terrible or something but can someone explain to me what Spectral Lotus does?

So, for [0], it basically cycles itself. Then, if I briefcase it, I gain +3/+0 (Me? Like, myself?), gain 3 THRESHOLD (I forget what this is again), and it comes back to my hand except as a Spectral Tiger.

THRESHOLD is not a resource, right? It's, like, different colours or whatever? So I gain 3 of them -- does it have a colour?

None of these terms are explained yet, but my understanding is that Spectral Lotus gives you 3 temporary resources (the 3/0) and 3 temporary works-as-any-color dots. Basically the same thing as the Black Lotus. Note that this is entirely guesswork made by examining the cards we've been shown. For example, check the 9-tailed monkey mercenary reward; one of its high-level abilities gives you "+[9/9]" resources at the end of your turn under a specific condition. Similarly, the [THRESHOLD] uses the same format as [WILD] and [SAPPHIRE] in other mercenaries, except that "threshold" isn't a standard gem type.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, good catch. It sounds like if cards die in PvE play they stay dead for the length of the dungeon, which is another good reason to stack your deck big and thick.

No, the article explicitly states this is something the Kraken Tentacle encounters do and is outside the norm.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

He also got severely mana screwed in the first game, which is kind of interesting. I actually expect it to be a bit harder to get totally mana-screwed in a multi-color deck because of how resources and thresholds work compared to Magic, but that still doesn't help if you've only drawn 2 resources by the 10th turn. The charge mechanic also means mana flooding shouldn't be quite as awful, too, if still not ideal. I'm actually interested to see what the default resource percentage for competitive decks will end up being.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

In one of the Kickstarter images there's a rare Resource which appears to be dual-threshold related. It's called Ascendant Brilliance, gives 1/1 Resources, and has text giving you an ability if you have either [DIAMOND] or [SAPPHIRE]. The entire card face hasn't been revealed (it's shown behind another card) so it's not clear if it grants thresholds itself, though. So, they're certainly making rare Resource cards which in some way facilitate multi-color decks, but it's not yet clear entirely in which manner.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Well, if it doesn't actually grant any thresholds, I can see it being very non-essential. That'd basically be like a land which only grants colorless mana when tapped in Magic (not quite the same thing but close enough for comparison). Useful if it has a good secondary ability, but not dual-land essential.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Since Set 1 is the core set, I expect it will have plenty of stuff for all 8 major races. The smaller sets will likely focus more on specific concepts/races, but there's room in a 350 card base set for everything.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You never spend thresholds, as I understand it. The word is used literally.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

OBi posted:

Very much this. There's already a turn 2 PvE kill combo available with just the previewed cards, though it would require a lot of luck for the hand: Resource, Lotus (Ruby), Ragefire, Overcharge, Overcharge [Pass Turn] Resource, Ragefire and win.

e: I'm curious to know whether an Overcharge copying a Ragefire would escalate the Ragefire on the stack. I'm guessing no because the escalation text specifies all the places the card can be to have it's damage value doubled. It's a lethal combo regardless, but it's the difference between 2+4+8+16 damage and 2+2+2+16.

You're assuming you get 4 Overcharges. Overcharge is a card you get as a set bonus; I think it's safer to assume you only get 1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

To be honest, I've heard that the Raid Leader bonus only applies in Raids, not in other PvE content, though I dunno if that's true or not.

There are two Raid Leader-exclusive bonuses. Both of those bonuses only apply when grouped:

"+1 card in the opening hand of all players grouped with 'The Raid Leader' in non-tournament PvE content"

"anybody grouped with an account that backed at the Raid Leader tier will start with the Raid Leader’s Blessing in play"

Theoretically the Raid Leader could get both those bonuses when solo, I guess, but that's not what's said.

More interestingly to me, there's this tidbit: "non-tournament PvE". That implies there could be tournament PvE. I wonder what that might entail?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's poorly-worded if so; that would be PvP with PvE cards, which isn't nearly the same thing as PvE.

A PvE tournament would (could) be something like a tournament where everyone plays their own decks against a pre-determined AI deck in each round.

Not that it matters, I just thought that particular disclaimer had some interesting implications.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

My guess is that means X total damage, not X damage to target 1 and X damage to target 2, but it is PvE only...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

That's the kind of thing which is easy to do in a pure-digital game, so I can see it happening, especially in dungeons and raids. For example, I can easily see a reward for doing an encounter in a dungeon the "hard way" being an extra one-use-only card in your opening hand for the rest of the dungeon (or until you use it).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Suddenly Dungeon Crawler Tier seems more valuable. If they're going to be hard to get, getting 20 random rare/legendary equipments could save a lot of effort.

On the other hand, their article today states that Raids are the PvE end-game, and Dungeon Crawler doesn't do anything for raids.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adar posted:

One draft a week is nothing. It might be worth $3.50 if you are terrible and win half your boosters back on average, or $6 if you are an average player whose expectation is to win exactly 3 boosters a draft.

Not trying to dispute the rest of your post, but don't you get to keep the cards you drafted? I know you might not end up with 3 rares out of the deal depending on how the draft goes (maybe you just don't see any rares that are worth using with the other cards you've drafted, etc), but I don't think it's right to just assign the value of the three boosters used in the draft as $0.00, either. If nothing else, with a completely free draft you could just draft towards value and sacrifice the tournament completely. Not that I condone that as a matter of course, but it's absolutely going to happen and it does have an impact on the value of the reward.

That all said, I'm personally vacillating on whether to switch to dungeon crawler from PP. The thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that we just plain do not know anything concrete about dungeon rewards. Twice "?" is just "??".

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think they probably have to. The more power they give the guild tools, the bigger of an issue eve online style scamming is going to be, because ultimately online guild-mates are not your childhood friends.

I disagree, for one simple reason:

Cards are not currency. The way the guild bank was described, you could simply "check in" any of your cards, and anyone in the guild could "check out" any card in the guild bank for use in decks which could only be played against other members of the guild. That's not something which has an analogue in real currency. They can't abscond with your cards because they're your cards and all you have to do is revoke the loan and voila, you have them back. No one can steal the guild bank because the guild doesn't actually own anything in it, it's all owned by the individual players.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Karnegal posted:

I think this is just a bad business move. Putting in a deck is one thing because it theoretically will eventually prompt playtesters to buy their own copies. If you make infinite sandbox mode (in guild), you'll see a lot of people not doing much else. From a player perspective, I can appreciate that people want all the good things, but I can see a business reason for their decisions.

Again, you could only use decks with guild bank cards in friendly games against guild members. How is that a bad business move? They don't get any money from friendly games against guild members anyway, and the free-to-play business model specifically wants lots of people playing even if 90% of them never spend a single cent on the game. They don't make their money by nickel and diming everyone, they make their money by getting a small percentage of the players to pay tons of money on a consistent basis.

This is a win-win for a free to play game: it keeps people around and playing and introduces them to new cards which they can only use in non-tournament, non-dungeon, non-raid gameplay. If they find a card they like which they don't actually own themselves, and they want to do anything with it except friendly games with people in their guild, they have to get their playset off the auction house or from boosters, just like everyone else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really not one to get overly upset about sexualized content, but that's just plain bad-looking. The head isn't proportional to the body and the lighting makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Even ignoring the blatant sexualization it's bad.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Edit: Also, Alpha is going to be "a few weeks" before beta

That's not what was said at all. He said the alpha would be several weeks long. It's entirely possible the Kickstarter alpha will be months before the beta--presumably they'll want time to integrate feedback and fix major bugs and test them internally before beta hits.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Not if they plan to meet their scheduled dates. The beta is due to start in September.

They could start an alpha next week (they won't, but they could), run it for six weeks, and still be a couple months before an end-of-September beta.

Also, since when has an over-funded Kickstarter hit its scheduled dates?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Dreadball shipped early, and they had physical items to manufacture.

Yeah, I'm sure there's some, my remark was a bit tongue in cheek. The majority that get significantly over-funded seem to slip at least a little bit, though, and to be honest I'll be happy with Hex's progress as long as the beta comes out before Christmas and isn't a train wreck.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

You can buy PvE stuff with it. So it depends on how much people end up valuing PvE \/:v:\/

You can buy packs with it, it has value outside of PvE.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

No, you're thinking of platinum. Gold is only used in PvE and the auction house.

I havn't listened to the interview, but:

King Burgundy posted:

FYI, there was some discussion up thread about whether or not you'd be able to farm pve, sell the stuff you get on the AH and use that money to buy pvp packs(making even the pvp side potentially FreeToPlay). This interview confirms that is a thing that you can do.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kakesu posted:

This is the thing I keep coming back to. What is going to be the big gold sink in this game, so that gold doesn't just continuously inflate? Buying cards and platinum on the AH just moves the gold around, so there has to be something worthwhile to take gold out of the system at a rate comparable to how quickly it enters, otherwise prices will just keep going up and up.

Crafting presumably will have a gold sink attached to it. I imagine the keep will as well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm really wondering how they're going to design raid encounters such that decks that can launch something like an infinite combo on turn 2 don't trivialize them. I'm sure there'll be some really ridiculous combos that people will discover, so how do you actually balance PvE raids to account for that?

That's really not that hard. Raids are intended to be difficult and (from what I gather) are serial 1v3 matches. That means they can give the Raid encounter lots of advantages like pre-set starting hands, starting with cards in play, lots of extra life, etc. I'm absolutely positive they'll have cards exclusive to their own decks that we won't get to play with, too, so even their cards won't need to be balanced as they would if a player could own them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

And in regards to combos, they'd have to have some mechanic to block them. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many advantages you give the opponent when infinite damage lands on turn 1 because you have 3 combo decks with 10 cards starting hands mulliganing into their combo pieces. It is especially broken because you have to keep in mind interactions between the 3 player decks as well.

But keep in mind that raids don't have to even pretend to play fair. They can start with a card in play that says "I can't lose until XYZ conditions", for example. Sure you might be able to set up some crazy 1000-damage 2nd turn combo, it doesn't matter if the raid is immune to damage until you remove an Invincible creature and two enchantments from the board.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

Obviously he was trying not to abuse that bug, right. What I meant was, he didn't use resources to draw with the librarian and the whole cooking pot fiasco. He died directly as a result of that one.

He couldn't have used the cooking pot to mill the Phoenix Guard. He was out of resources at that point and the cooking pot costs 1 to activate.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's really just a waste of space unless they have both very strong gold sinks and something people want to spend lots of gold on. If gold is the point of keep defense and gold is worthless, so is keep defense.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 5, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

No, there's a 0% chance that you only get one drop, because there would be a massive PR shitstorm about it. That blatantly contradicts the description of the Dungeon Crawler bonus, which is explicitly +100% loot. Two rolls, one drop is +0% loot.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Correct, for now at least dungeons are entirely solo play. Grouped play is Raids, which, as far as we know, are either single encounters with complex mechanics or series of encounters that proceed in a set order. Dungeons are more free-form.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I can't see anything but instanced loot working out well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Eh. I mentioned something about this on the official forums.

Launch day, a brand new player decides to take his starter deck and go PvP with it so he clicks Quick Match.. and now he's facing some guy with Three Grand Kings. Now, if that's not a gank, I don't know what is.

Many of the reasons that turn people off from PvP in typical MMOs will be eliminated in Hex just by nature of the game, but the biggest factor will not be. What is that factor?

People are dicks and enjoy being dicks to other people in a competitive environment.

People will still be dicks in Hex. There'll be name-calling, harassment, general rudeness, utter lack of sportsmanship, etc. I'm sure Cryptozoic will do their best to keep the peace, but it's a losing proposition. If you do PvP, you're absolutely certain to run into some number of people who are utter and complete assholes and are quite happy to display that fact to you.

Players who only do dungeons don't have to deal with that, and even if the dungeon encounters are assholes you know it's not personal because, good as Hex's AI may or may not end up, it's not going to be sentient.

Edit: In other words, I do agree that PvE will almost certainly be at least as popular and probably more popular than PvP. It likely won't have the same ratio as in WoW or other mainstream MMOs, but I would be very, very surprised if there ends up being even 2 PvP-exclusive players per PvE-exclusive player.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 8, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

thiswayliesmadness posted:

It sucks if you legitimately get d/c'd during something big, but how often does that actually happen? More than one way to handle it, and the "reconnect in 30 seconds and we'll continue the match" method is probably the best.

Judging from my time spent playing League of Legends, at least once a night, and it needs a reboot of the modem to fix it. That takes 2-3 minutes.

Have I mentioned that I hate Comcast and hate government-enforced cable company monopolies?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's no reason to start the match over, though. The matches are being played on their servers, not our computers (unless they're total idiots who want their game ruined by rampant cheating), so they can just pause the match until the other player reconnects or a certain amount of time passes. They even already have an inactivity timer, although I expect a disconnection to disqualify you before the current 30 minute total inactivity timer is up. 3 or 5 minutes would be reasonable (I'd prefer 5 because sometimes 3 minutes is cutting it close for me), anything more than 5 is too much to ask the other guy to wait for IMO.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

If it just ran their clock, in a tournament setting you'd have to sit staring at your screen for half an hour whenever anyone ragequit. With a disconnect timer, people can wait three minutes then go play PVE until the next round. Maybe three minutes is a little too short, but does it really take that long to restart a modem? I know from experience it takes less time than that to reset a flaky router.

It's not just the time to cycle the modem, it's the time to:

• Realize that I've lost connection
  • Walk to the room which houses the router and modem
  • Reset both because it isn't always Comcast's fault, as much as I hate them
  • Wait for the modem to completely reboot
  • Wait for the router to re-attain internet connection
  • Log back in to the game

3 minutes is kind of pushing the envelope for that, especially if the lost connection happens while I'm not expecting anything to happen (such as while I'm deciding whether or not to play a card, etc).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ I don't think you can compare MTGO to WoW in terms of giant-slaying. WoW has had significant competition at every single stage of its development and is the undisputed king of a pretty saturated market. MTGO has never had real competition and the market for online TCGs is basically untapped otherwise.

It's not actually $4 for 4 packs, by the way. It's $4 for 4.3333... packs. It's $4 per month and 1 pack per week. 12 months in the year, 52 weeks in the year. 4.3333... weeks per month. Heck, if you want to be cheap about it, you could subscribe for one month at a time just in the months with 5 payout days, which would end up as $4 for 5 packs.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Don't forget that you can destroy cards to get crafting materials. We don't know what we can do with crafting materials yet, but there may not be quite as much of a glut of cards as people are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Capitalism posted:

Speaking of resources, I'm sure we'll see some nonbasic ones. I'm thinking the most likely is a 0/1 resource that gives two types of threshold, since it acts like a land coming into play tapped. Other things that would be neat is an 0/2 resource that doesn't give threshold or a resource that charges twice.

If you check the Auction House image on their Kickstarter page, you can see about half of a non-basic resource. So, yes, it's pretty much confirmed that they will exist. It looks like it's a 1/1 resource that doesn't give thresholds but does give extra charges, but the important parts of the text are obscured so it's hard to tell for sure.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 13, 2013

• Locked thread