Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Surmy posted:

Pretty happy that I got in at Grand King Tier. Hopefully there will be enough people joining up to start a goon guild.

Given the enthusiasm in the TG and video game kickstarter threads I think we'll be OK on the goon guild front. I'm at King atm, I think with how much money they have they'll get enough to produce at least 2 years of sets even if nothing else happens. I think the market is kind of ripe for this kind of game with the huge surge in popularity that MTG has seen at game stores lately. Too bad WoTC didn't see fit to capitalize on it but I'd rather play mini games when I have time to go out to a game store and being able to play TCGs during downtime at home will be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I'd like to see a breakdown/calculation of the total dollar value of all the tiers at this point. I am tempted to get the Dungeon Crawler tier. I dunno maybe I get some sick overtime at work

It's hard to evaluate them because, no one knows wtf 100% more gold and drops in PvE is worth. Add $312 for the 1 year of free drafts to all the $250 tiers besides Pro Player and whatever you think their particular perk is worth and that's it. The collector tier could be worth a fortune due to limited availability or nothing because no one gives a gently caress about the alternate art. Impossible to say.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

War Eagle posted:

How do you go about getting multiple tiers? Increase your pledge amount and then the option becomes available or something?

Make multiple Kickstarter accounts, or pledge on paypal and kickstarter.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Is anybody really talking so far about the graphic design of the card faces? I don't know about anyone else, and I'm sure it will depend on what size they end up being displayed in the client, but in places like this card gallery they're displayed at about the same size on my monitor as paper Magic cards but seem far less easy on the eyes. At the very least they seem significantly harder to read or make sense of than the classic Magic cardface, and given how much bellyaching there seems to be about that every time it comes up, I'm surprised there isn't more critique about this aspect of the design.

That's a third-party site using previews they've scavenged from kickstarter updates. The cards seemed pretty legible during the stream they did, and there's also the fact that it's a computer game so changing the typeface is something they can iterate on whenever they feel like.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

You know, with all of these people grabbing up multiple Grand King and other tiers, I'm kind of wondering how many new players that could scare off once the game launches proper. I mean, all of the backers will have an enormous head start, not to mention all the cards they get out of the beta, how are they gonna catch up on PvP and all of that.

Probably by just buying a deck for cheap since there'll be a crap ton of cards floating around? If there aren't a crap ton of cards floating around then a huge number of people will be in the same boat as them so it's all pretty even. It's not like you wear all your boosters like armor, you have a 40 or 60 card deck and that's it. For drafting your massive library of cards do absolutely nothing since you aren't even using them.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Karnegal posted:

You keep missing the part where some people don't want to raid/play PvE. Yes, I get where you're coming from on value, but time is money and some people aren't going to want to spend it on PvE content.

I also think it's a little optimistic to think that there's going to be more than $7/week worth of value out of double loot drops in a game where all PvE content is free-to-play. $7 buys a fair amount of farmer time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think collector will sell out and they'll hit 2.5M in the next 20 hours including paypal without too much trouble.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

Let's all take a moment to bereave the balances of accounts across the neck beard community. :smith:

The average amount per backer is still pretty low compared to actual TG kickstarters. Guess I was wrong about collector, I still suspect they'll be pretty close to 2.5M with paypal since they said they had a couple hundred pending or something. They also said they're going to include slacker backers in the stretch goal so I think they intend to do Hexcon regardless.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Captain Capitalism posted:

So, I was kind of shocked no Producers dropped at the last minute. They got really close to 2.5 million.

They actually picked a producer up in the last hour or so. And the countdown stream said that slacker backers will count towards stretch goals, so they'll hit 2.5 eventually.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Crosswell posted:

So I pledged DC tier as a Canadian. It let me sign in to Amazon Payments using my existing Amazon Account. Didn't realize my dirty Canadian credit card wouldn't work. Now what? I can't switch my pledge to Paypal, but that seems to be my only option. I just want to give you my money, people.

E-mail the Cryptozoic people they'll probably work with you, I'm sure they want your money.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

Eh. I mentioned something about this on the official forums.

Launch day, a brand new player decides to take his starter deck and go PvP with it so he clicks Quick Match.. and now he's facing some guy with Three Grand Kings. Now, if that's not a gank, I don't know what is.

Except that triple grand king will have been in beta and they'll probably just let him carry his matchmaking rating over. So he'll never see the new player in matchmaking unless he's god awful, and then it's not really an issue and the newbie gets to wonder how the gently caress that guy with the fancy sleeves lost so bad.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Most kickstarters update once every 2 weeks - month after the kickstarter is over from my experience, and those're the ones that communicate well. Have you never pre-ordered a game? In that case you give people money and at best you can troll through gaming sites for info on what you've purchased while waiting for release.

It takes a lot of time to produce quality updates and get the game into a state where you can make screenshots that don't make people who don't know much about the development process freak out, I'd rather they just focused on getting the game out and keep us abreast on major developments/their time table once they know it.

I backed Shadowrun Returns as an example, and it's supposed to release this month. They haven't updated since May 24th and I have no idea when the game's actually coming out. I'm sure it'll make it eventually though.

Kickstarter's not a really good platform for buying things if you get really upset about slipped deadlines and long periods of silence because they're having issues in production and don't want to have to justify every thing they do to a bunch of spergy asshats.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Even if you imagine that everyone who pledged 120 dollar or more was in fact one crazy person with 6000 kickstarter accounts, that still only represents 1/3 of their backers. I think it's fair to say that the number of uniques is pretty close to the actual number.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

PJOmega posted:

On this note, there was an article I read awhile back about Korean Freemium games, one which specifically had a 'chest opening' competition each day, where the person who opened the most chests (at roughly 10 cents apiece) in a day would win a special ultra prize. The article was following one woman who invested I believe a thousand USD in one day and she still didn't win the ultra prize. Anyone know the article I'm thinking of?

It was a Chinese game but I don't remember the name either. It was really popular in China, and they did poo poo like hiring attractive girls to go to internet cafes and convince guys to try the game or egg on guys who were playing but not spending enough to be powerful, things like that. hosed up business. I don't think it'd really work here though, too much back lash on any kind of perceived Pay2Win type stuff.

Edit: I lied here it is: http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/gambling_your_life_away_in_zt.php

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

tijag posted:

I imagine if they can't add all of the people at the $250 tiers, they'll put them all in a hat, and choose the correct amount that they can add in from random, so that your chance will be 1/x, where x is the sum of all the people at the $250 tiers.

There're 1000 or so at Grand King and above, and about 2000 at $250. Should be pretty quick, 3000 people isn't exactly a huge crowd for an online game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Got my invite to the Alpha as a $250 backer, so check your emails if you haven't seen it yet.

• Locked thread