Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
I think the more interesting thing is they said there will be tournaments where pve cards and gear are legal. That has the potential to be a huge hit with the casual crowd and tons of fun.

They also seem to be convinced that PvE is going to be great, but they haven't effectively conveyed that to the public. To the point where they said that the loot tier is supposed to be as good as the pro player tier before they added the year of drafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Adar posted:

No it isn't. You need to still be interested in the game after a year, which isn't going to be everyone, but let's say you love the game and play for three years. Okay, you've saved $700 in years 2/3 (actually much less than that since you'll win some % of your boosters back).

If the PvE is any good and has endgame type content, double boss drops could equal that off a handful of raids.
PP is a conservative choice. Are you honestly surprised most people are making it? It has guaranteed returns of a set value.

Cryptozoic has straight-out said that dungeon crawler is likely the most lucrative $250 tier and they are surprised how poorly it has sold. I think the disconnect is in that no one really knows about pve yet. We have a rough idea of the layout and goals, but we don't actually know how it ultimately plays out. We don't know how the content will be developed, the value of the loot, or any of the other factors. All we can do is speculate.

I agree with you that Dungeon Crawler's bonus is going to be great. Raid Leader and Guild Leader seem to exist solely to buff Grand King from my point of view, although snagging a guild leader tier just to have a shared guild leader account that no one actually plays could be a consideration for certain people.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 28, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

signalnoise posted:

I've already submitted this as a question to Crypto, but maybe you guys know faster: Using the guild bank function, can you deposit cards, or only decks?
The feature isn't coded yet, and they haven't said anything about it specifically.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, is that "Decks (which you retain control of) and cards donated to guild bank (which you do not retain control of)" or "Decks and cards donated to guild back, neither of which you retain control of"

Subordinate clauses are the bane of clear developer communications.
You retain control of the decks. There's also the option of donating cards. They are two different things.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Foma posted:

I suspect we will see an above average number of people drop in the last hours. Not out of fear of the failure/quality, but in regards to the type of people who are attracted to these games.
I've been seriously debating dropping my personal grand king pledge. Not because I doubt the game, but because I doubt I will remain interested. I quit magic pretty quickly every time. I could probably put the funds elsewhere.

$500 is a nice chess set, enough books for years, and a new monitor.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 6, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And yeah, really happy with Grand King and think it's the best long term value. Dungeon Crawler will be great initially but after a while interest in the PvE side of things is going to wane.
If they properly roll out PvE content and tie it into the game I don't see this happening. People love pve significantly more than pvp, and cards offer a very appealing angle to that type of player. The collecting angle, the low demand on attention angle, the "I built that" angle that pve decks will most likely allow given just how many broken interactions there are, and the potential to get that one money drop or "geared up" for a specific deck to counter a specific dungeon or raid. The design space for pve is vast, and TCG players in general severely underestimate its appeal. Especially because magic lacks PvE and Hex is something of an MTG clone.

It could be the equivalent of a single player card game that has built in trading and coop for many players.

edit: I'm not saying to bet on that happening, but it's certainly a potential thing that could happen.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 7, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Aw crap I forgot about that nonsense. So I guess market valuations will be slightly different with Card A with 0 XP and Card B with 80% XP until it "levels" into a foil card.
They could make experience reset when it changes hands, and that could work in multiple ways. If the card is already foil it stays foil, but if it's not it is like you bought a fresh card. Doing it any other way is going to introduce needless complication or ignore potential value.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

What I mean is that if I have three different Pack Raptors and one has dealt 0 damage, one has dealt 50 damage, and one has dealt 1000 damage, that they are all different cards and can't be treated as functionally identical. Looking at the double-back, there's a lot of granularity to each card which means that they'll need to be inspectable while in the AH.

Personally, I don't care about which version is which and will definitely just buy whichever is cheapest, but because there is that difference in each individual card, it's impossible to treat all Pack Raptors as identical.

Yeah, this is an easy fix if Cryptozoic determines this is something "worth fixing".
I think, realistically, experience might be an account bound thing to begin with. If you have 4 pack raptors they will likely all have the same stats, and whether you have 8 or 30 shouldn't matter. Having a "lucky pack raptor" could appeal to the ridiculous side of card nerds, but it just sounds kind of needlessly complicated to track things that way. It obfuscates most of the statistics displayed, because you don't need stats on four separate instances of the same card.

Then again, it literally says "your card" so maybe it is individually. The foil thing would also work kind of weird if it were generalized. Who knows. I know if I were designing or programming I'd definitely go for a more generalized, account-centric approach. If you sell the card it would sell as the normal version, and if you obtained a new one it'd be foil for you because you already leveled that card on your account.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 10, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BenRGamer posted:

Well, that's just the keep system, I don't particularly care about that, especially as character names are non-unique--I just don't like that the Keep Name is specifically tied to a chat handle, a good compromise I saw on the forums was just to make it [User Name]'s Keep rather than out and out [Keep Name].
I'm hoping they ignore the suggestions and leave it as it is. It's a pretty neat idea that will work just fine in practice. People just aren't used to it. It's like a less terrible version of Diablo 3's battle tag and character name system.

edit: vv I am just going to use the same name as every game. Then have character names refer to it in some way. House of is fine too. That's how it will likely be treated whether they change it or not.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 28, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Baron posted:

Why is it a less terrible version? Because it gives an in-game justification?
Character names are pretty much pointless and hardly visible in Diablo 3. Character names seem less pointless and more fun in this system. Battle tag is also "outside" of the game but used in it anyway with no regard toward its purpose or immersion. The hex thing just seems like a more coherent and integrated system. The idea of a house is something I personally implemented in a game I never ended up finishing. It's just a coherent way for players to have a single identity with multiple characters.

Battle tags also kind of suck because they're not the same between games (why) and there's characters, well numbers, that the player can't choose. I understand the "problem" that the numbers solve, but there's other ways to do it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 28, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Al Baron posted:

Yes they are. My Battletag in Hearthstone is the same in WoW/SC2/D3. It would defeat the whole purpose if it wasn't.
I have different numbers in SC2 and D3. I just logged on to double check. That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Hex: Hours of Download

I'm not that excited about alpha. Still going to login as soon as the download finishes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Slifter posted:

Would it be possible for someone with more knowledge than me to package up the game and create the torrent for it?
I'm at 64%. When it finishes I will be loading it onto a few other computers. I'll post a step by step explanation of how once I have it and figure that out. It should be straight forward.

That should help whoever wants to host a torrent. I can't seed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002
RG seems absolutely ridiculous. Rot Ogre currently gets +1/+1 from Ruby resources in addition to ruby cards. If you want to swing for 4 on turn 2 rot ogre is your bud all day everyday. It helps that RG also has the best answers so far or so it seems.

Also, Demented Demolisher + replicator's gambit + win condition + 50 resources got me my first rager in queues. It's a terrible deck, but it's funny when it works. It's hard to choose the win condition sort of. The blood major gem that does attack damage when it enters the battlefield should be the ideal I guess. Anything that multiplies by six for a win works, though. Pack Raptor is even more hilarious because it's rng whether you get the right raptor or not and they just keep filling your deck with garbage making the winning raptor ever more elusive.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 10, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

Just logged my 18th bug, just from documenting everything I ran into while adding a few cards to a deck. That's... honestly about what I was expecting from alpha, so I'm not unhappy. I think I may not actually try to play the game for a week or two, though.
The AI just stalls and does nothing for a while when it knows it is going to lose so you are forced to concede or let it run the 30 minute timer down. At least, every time it takes a turn in a hopeless board state where I win through swinging next turn it does this.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Karnegal posted:

So, either this is a bug or people are scooping as soon as I play a T1 Ancestor's Chosen.

Has anyone figured out how to change champs?
Click the button that looks like you are naming the champion in the deck editor view. It's at the bottom right near the champion picture.

No idea if this actually changes the champion, but it lets you look at the champions and pick them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm not sure why anyone is in a rush for alpha. I am in the alpha and holding off playing until another patch or two. There's nothing to do really. Look at that pdf with the cards. It's about as productive as having alpha access right now.

Niedar posted:

They paid for alpha access, end of story. The only reason to stop them from entering is because the servers can't handle them, any other reason is invalid.
Good thing server stability is an issue. Letting in more people has potential to generate bad PR. Especially with the hearthstone beta around.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It wouldn't surprise me if they took the alpha down. In fact, I'm not sure why they haven't. It might cause more hype to have set stress test days and only allow people to play on those days for a few weeks.

pumpinglemma posted:

Alternative possibility: right now they're renting a server that can handle maybe 1,000 people, and they want to upgrade to a server that can handle 20,000 people. They don't know how big this server should be, since it's really hard to test this sort of thing in anything other than a live environment. If they get a server that's too small, then the whole thing crashes. If they get a server that's too large, they're wasting a significant amount of money. So right now they're collecting data (including the AI stress test yesterday) to get a sense of how things are going to scale. When they have enough data to predict with some precision how big a server they need for e.g. 5,000 people, they upgrade, let the next wave in and check how good their estimates were. Repeat until everyone's in alpha. I don't have any experience with server farms, but that's the approach I'd be inclined to take in their position.

(They might also relying on the scaling data to work out how big a server farm they'll need for open beta and for launch.)
This is likely the reason why. It's important to understand expected server load. Especially in a game that relies on cash flow, esports, and that is going to have a significant pve aspect. Lots of games do this during alpha or even beta. I can name like 4 or 5 that came out in the past year without launch day load issues that had a stress test that brought the servers offline.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 22, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

What does everybody think of the triggered effects not going on the chain? In what I've read, it seems the biggest hangup is players perceive of situations where, if triggered effects went on the chain, there are games that they were able to win that they otherwise would've lost. They don't really consider that there are probably an equal amount of games that they'll play that they'll win because triggered effects don't go on the chain, and both players will make decisions with the rules in mind. People also, in general, dislike change.
It should be a good change because having to pass priority constantly over trivial bullshit is awkward and terrible for attracting a large player base. Eliminating a few clever plays at the cost of opening up a few clever plays is not a big deal. Especially because it's a change that's easy to design around.

I'm not a big fan of reducing complexity, but this is a minimal reduction of complexity. Ideally there'd be a way to interact with things that happened that didn't require passing priority. How that would work I don't know, but if Hex could come up with a way that integrated smoothly with gameplay flow and the ui it'd be a home run benefit for the game. I've been playing a lot of hearthstone lately and the best part is there is no priority to pass. In hearthstone that comes at a cost, it's designed entirely differently at a result, but there are ways to minimize the amount of times you have to press the "okay" button or otherwise deal with priority. I'd consider this recent change a positive one for Hex. Finding more ways to make priority less of a nuisance without reducing complexity would be nice, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 16, 2013

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is Cory still refunding kickstarter backer rewards? I backed this game before I realized some other card game was amazing, and I don't see myself having the time to play it now.

I've been on the fence and I still am kinda. I might keep it I might not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is really awkward news because I was going to sell a Grand King most likely. I bought in for the pve and to play with a friend, but that friend passed away last year and I'm unsure if I will have time to play. I'd definitely want to play the pve, but they pushed out pvp long before pve was in which is really bothersome to me also.

I think it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. What matters is the $5m in legal fees are a drop in the bucket for hasbro and likely more money than Hex to has to throw at it unless they are going to kickstart a legal defense. That's a little joke in case it's too subtle. I am biased because I think WotC screws their customers hard on MTGO, in cost, prize structure, and client, so my opinion on Hex's legality are colored by that.

• Locked thread