Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Thanks to a friend of mine sharing information on Hex with me I've now found myself backing my first Kickstarter project. I still remember getting my first MTG decks back in middle school as a present, bringing them to school only to find no one else knew what the hell they were and then within a couple of weeks everyone (and by everyone I mean the totally cool kids) had started to play. I haven't played in years and years but Hex has definitely re-kindled that old TCG itch.

I love the idea of tablet support as well and I'm really excited for PvE. I'm cautiously optimistic and keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

In relation to the Dungeon Crawler discussion I asked a few questions through Kickstarter yesterday about dungeon content and rewards. While some of these questions I assumed I already knew the answers I wanted to get something more definite from Cryptozoic themselves since at the time I couldn't find a lot of info on the PvE dungeon content (or I just didn't know where to look):

quote:

Q: Will it ever be possible to "out-level" certain dungeon content to where it is no longer relevant to your character?

A: Not really the way we have things working. Certain dungeons "unlock" as you get higher level, but the way our game works is you can still bring a bad deck to a dungeon and get wrecked. The encounters will get harder as you access new ones, so by some respects the lower level dungeons will get easier, but you will still have to bring the right tools to the fight.

Q: Will loot drops from dungeons and dungeon bosses always stay relevant to your character's level? (Unlike many traditional MMOs where once you've leveled to a certain point the loot you get from certain dungeons is below your character). I imagine so given this is a TCG but I'd like to be sure.

A: You have to remember that loot drops in our game is either a cosmetic item (deck sleeves, etc...), special PvE cards you can only find in that dungeon, or equipment relevant to a specific card. So needing items from a specific dungeon aren't dependent on your character, but the cards you want and the gear for the cards you have. So yes, the loot drops will always be relevant.

Q: Is there one boss per dungeon or are there multiple bosses per dungeon where the Dungeon Crawler reward of double loot will apply?

A: Some dungeons are 4-6 mini-bosses and a dungeon boss, some have up to 15-20 rooms/bosses/encounters before the final dungeon boss. So there is a lot of value for the Dungeon Crawler tier!

Emphasis mine on the last question which was the one I was most curious about. It pretty much confirmed for me that I will be sticking at the Dungeon Crawler level. I was worried that a dungeon would be a 3 hour fight to get to a final boss you'd get double loot from. Instead it sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for double loot throughout a dungeon.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Rhaegar posted:

True, I mean if anyone is like me then and are debating the Dungeon Crawler or Collector tier (or both) then I could definitely see a large number of pledges on the last day.

Dungeon Crawler seems to be selling at a pretty good rate. They're almost down to 450 left at this point. Collector is moving pretty well too. I wouldn't be surprised if DC sold out before the last day.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Yesterday was a great day for Hex on the Kickstarter. They will undoubtedly reach 1.8 million through KS alone today bringing them to over 1.9 total with PayPal. I'm looking forward to the reveal of the next stretch goal but I can't help but think they might push the goal amount higher based on just how much was raised yesterday. When they originally announced the extended goals I figured they would be at 1.8, 1.9 and 2 million. Did anyone catch mention of the new extended goals in the Twitch feed yesterday?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just saw this pop up in chat for anyone curious if this would be available through Steam:

quote:

hextcg: I spoke to our engineers today and I can say that we will support the Steam API

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Corey has said there won't be anything stopping a person from joining the US/EU server even if you're not in those locations. Of course that will mean any events happening might be at odd times of the day for you so there is that downside. I'm really not sure how it will all play out.

For anyone trying to play it looks like a game server is down right now. I couldn't start any games against the AI or other players.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Blazing Zero posted:

Right. I was about to post just this. Why would they bother to pay for other companies to host regional servers if you can just join the US one which will get better service. (player perception) It would be fantastic if it worked out like that, but it doesn't add up.

It is a little confusing, especially because if they are trying to make sure they are in line with any local laws for a given region, but here is Cory's post confirming nothing (at least as of now the way he sees it) would stop a player from Russia from creating an account on the US/EU servers.

I'm not sure how that works out for buying boosters/etc either. I guess just use a Paypal account if they support that payment method?

The major thing I'm seeing Cory talk about on the official forums when it comes to these partnerships (I was bored and decided to actually read through to see people's reactions, which are mixed) is that they had to do this in order to make their long term eSports goals happen.

Cory Jones posted:

Threading the needle of what I want this game to be in terms of eSports and everything else we talked about and still conform to ALL local governance issues around the world is almost impossible, when you see some of this stuff keep in mind what I am trying to accomplish.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

cathead posted:

New patch is out! Notes are here.

Big thing seems to be gems having been added so socketable cards should now be usable. Also a bunch of fixes for games hanging and pass priority bugging out.

You can also change your password!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just played my first game against the AI. I definitely share the sentiment that has been stated here already about how great the UI is already even in alpha state. The AI however has some learning to do. For some reason it transformed one of it's flying creatures with rage (that I couldn't block) into a Dingler.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Finally starting to play a few games against a friend and for some reason when it pops up my deck selection I only see 3 of the per-constructed decks. I've tried scrolling, arrow keys, and changing screen resolution but can't get my built deck or the 4th pre-built deck to show up. Anyone else experience this and know if there is a fix?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Adar posted:

If you lose cards, try to log back in with a wrong password then type in the correct one. Seems to reset it.

Thanks for this tip, that did bring my built decks into the list for when challenging.

Agreed on the "patience to avoid pass priority bug" discussion as well. When playing against the AI I just let it sit for a bit at each pass and the bug seems a lot rarer.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is there a way to cancel an action after you've selected it? I ended up having to use repel on my own attacker since I didn't notice the defender had spellshield. I find I'm also running into that missing cards bug almost every single match.

I don't think there is yet. I was playing against a friend and he accidentally did a quick action that he ended up having to use on himself as it couldn't apply to any of my cards and in the same game I mistakenly used a +8/+8 that can only be applied to a defending card during my attack phase. I had to give his defended a +8/+8 gift.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Go RV! posted:

:siren: There seems to be a fix for the priority bug! :siren:

The End button on your keyboard seems to be a Force Priority Pass button, or something along those lines. Either way, I've tested it twice, and it seems to work.

e: Ok, so, it doesn't force pass, as it doesn't work when the button is there. It seems to be just a "fix the priority bug" button.

Thank you for sharing this! It saved a game between myself and a friend multiple times tonight.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Aww my "Escalation" gimmick deck that had nearly all escalation type cards suddenly isn't as fun. It had Rhinos, Raptors, Eternal Youths, Spears, card draws, etc. Silly, but lots of fun. The change makes sense though. I'll still have to try out my silly deck again though.

I began patching before I read the notes and saw a lot of "PvE" card elements coming down the pipe and at first thought they had put a PvE element in.

Edit: Does anyone know of any good Hex fansites or community sites that feature/talk about the newly added cards?

Protip fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2013

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

This might be a silly question but for the free weekly drafts for a year does that included the booster packs needed to draft, or is it just the entry fee into the draft and you have to supply your own packs?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Thoom posted:

It includes the packs. It would be a pretty lovely reward if it didn't.

That's what I originally thought, but was starting to wonder since there is a lot of discussion about keeping the booster packs they gave out as rewards for drafts. Since I doubt I'd have time to do more than one draft a week the free year of weekly drafts works well for me. I can see the benefit in keeping your boosters if you plan to draft more than however many free ones you get and obviously not everyone has the free weekly draft for a year.

Speaking of drafts I know there were some posts a few weeks ago about the game and how people were finding it. I hadn't played a TCG since playing Magic years ago (I stopped around when Ice Age came out) and I've been really loving Hex. I had some great draft games a few weeks ago and ended up playing a CZE guy in the draft. We went to three games and all were incredibly fun. I'm still learning how to play draft format and that was the first time I seemed to build a solid deck. It felt pretty great even though I ended up losing.

The one thing that I didn't like is my first round opponent dropped so I had to wait for 40 minutes or more until I finally got to play. I hope they build in the ability to do something else when you are waiting for your turn in a draft if that happens. Getting to play the AI or something else would be nice. Otherwise you're just sitting there tabbing back and forth. Some kind of sound to alert you when your game is starting would also be nice.

Of course with beta now starting hopefully we will see less people dropping from a draft before it even starts.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Valatar posted:

So basically an unopened booster pack is potential fuel for an engine that you can use for playtime and winning more booster packs which you can use for playtime and winning more booster... Whereas an opened booster pack is just cards.

Thanks for the explanation! I never tried sealed during Alpha and I could see it as something I'd enjoy playing. I just might have to hold onto boosters as well.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I know there has been some discussion about the free weekly drafts for a year (for the tiers that get them). I just asked @HexTCG if they do start from when you redeem the code. They confirmed that yes, they do, and that the codes will expire soon after launch.

quote:

the clock starts ticking when you redeem it, though we plan to have those codes expire a bit after full launch time

Apologies if this was already known, but thought it was worth sharing in case there was any confusion.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Mikujin posted:

4 more Primals out of 2 of my Guild 30 codes (the other 30 went to a friend who got 1). :iamafag:

drat... I only got 1 extra out of my 155 boosters, and 0 from another 30 code that a friend gave me.

Another friend of mine got 6/155.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

OBi posted:

I input my code for lifetime drafts last night, but I could never get the application to not hang when I clicked on 'tournaments'. Does anyone know what the actual process for accessing your weekly drafts is?

The game servers are having some problems right now so they disabled tournaments. They hope to have everything up and running today.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Gross Dude posted:

I really wish this wasn't the mtg pre release weekend. I've shady registered for several tournaments, but I really want to draft some hex. Have they said whether tournaments will be up fir sure this weekend or not?

I don't think they've said for sure that they will be up. They have said their staff are testing tournaments right now to make sure the fixes they've put in place work. However I think it's probably up in the air when all of the players start hitting the servers again.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Karnegal posted:

I believe you just get all 4. The only deck pick I had was the free one for making an account.

Same for me. After I redeemed my code I then had two Orc decks with the same name (one just with a 1 attached to it), so I deleted the duplicate deck in the deck manager. I didn't really look closely but does this mean you get double the cards from whatever starter deck you pick?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

According to the Hex twitter accounts/codes are not transferable. I know people have sold accounts but it is just something to be aware of.

https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/459771830106996736

quote:

accounts/codes are not transferrable. our T&C is as friendly as possible, but that should be clear.

They do go on to say gifting codes and using them for giveaways is fine.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Hopefully sometime tomorrow this will all be a moot point and maybe we'll get a few extra boosters out of the tournament downtime.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Before they changed how escalation worked in Alpha a friend and I were playing a match, and instead of just letting it end when I could have dealt the final blow we decided to see just how many rhinos I could get out.

That wasn't even as high as we got. I was able to put out a 128 rhino card and well...

That is well over 200 rhinos. Needless the say this crashed the game.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Checking in on the Hex Twitter someone contacted them about receiving 8000 platinum from something called Sponsor Play. Anyone have any idea what that is? I know there has mention in the past about concern over prizes Cryptozoic owed people but this sounds like something at least somewhat separate from them.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I had a feeling it was something like that, but had no idea it was directly tied into the game (I haven't tried the purchasing Plat process yet) . That's horrible and I hope they do end up removing it. That kind of option to get platinum makes the game look more like a crappy free-to-play cell phone game that pops up ads and tries to get you to sign up for special offers to get more play time.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I know that accidentally opening 10 packs has happened to a lot of people and there are tons of requests to get at least a confirm dialogue added I'm if you do click on the arrow. I know I almost did it with regular packs once before knowing what it did.

In tournament news according to the Hex Twitter they've completed the hardware reconfiguration and have begun testing tournaments.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

gameday posted:

Is there a good site with rankings for the current cards? I have a dungeon crawler account and I'm stoked to start drafting, but things are absolutely insane at work and home right now and I am struggling to find any time. I need every advantage I can get to not bomb out round one every time while I wait for Swiss.

I'd also recommend watching some streams on Twitch. There are a few streamers who regularly stream draft. Watching them play and listening to their commentary has helped me get a better understanding of drafting and what cards are good to look for.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Edit: ^^^ this. I hadn't touched a TCG in years until I learned about Hex. I don't want to see it ruined before it has even had a chance to really get going. Hell I even bought MTG Planeswalker so I could play some kind of digital TCG before the Hex alpha began.

I've got to think that Cryptozoic checked with attorneys before ever even beginning full development on Hex. At least I'd hope so. I don't know anything about the World of Warcraft Tcg. Was it similar to Magic as well?

If anything this shows that they do feel threatened by Hex's potential. Enough to want to bring it to court.

Protip fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2014

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Karnegal posted:

US Copyright Law

A friend who also backed Hex linked me to that earlier today. Based on the wording you'd think Cryptozoic was in the clear. I've also read that WOTC had a patent that expired a few years ago, although I'm not sure what exactly it was a patent for, because at the same time I've seen discussion that this lawsuit is about an entirely different patent.

Edit: I've already seen more people curious about Hex because of this news. This evening it seemed like there was a decent amount more of people watching streams on Twitch than usual.

Protip fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 15, 2014

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

For those interested here is a write-up about the lawsuit from a lawyer's perspective (also someone who has played MTG for many years and runs this MTG site) - http://www.quietspeculation.com/2014/05/understanding-the-wizards-v-hex-lawsuit-in-plain-english

He does a good job of explaining different parts of the lawsuit (even saying the Wizards lawyers put in some "nice try but this won't work" into the suit). He is of the opinion Cryptozoic would lose certain parts, but not all parts, of the case, and may have to change some of the way certain things function.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Considering how much of the lawsuit quoted blogs, forum posts and even the Hex website I'm not too surprised that they are keeping silent for the moment. I agree that this must be really hard for Cory (and everyone there) considering how passionate he is about Hex, and the fact that he loved playing Magic for so many years. I also hope that doesn't come back to hurt Hex in some way. Thinking back to all the interviews that Cory gave during the Kickstarter I feel like comparisons to Magic were brought up frequently, and he did frequently talk about his history with the game and drawing inspiration from it.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

In my second draft of beta last night Ruby was really open so I ended up with a mono Ruby deck. The first game in the first round I went up against a nasty mill deck (they had at least two Twisted Fates, Fate Rack, tons of card draw). It was pretty funny watching every single one of my troops get milled in the first game, leaving me just drawing resources and actions. Lost the first game but won the next two and ended up in the finals where I faced another Ruby deck, but he was Ruby/Blood. It came down to game 3 in the final round and even that was a race to the finish. I ended up losing but had a ton of fun in the draft, and it felt great to go to the finals.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

vulturesrow posted:

Is there an in-game tutorial? IF not, what is the best way to "jump in"?

Btw, really awesome of all you to share codes and throw some good tips our way. Thanks!

No ingame tutorial yet. You can always go to the Proving Grounds to play against the AI, but the AI isn't always the smartest.

Infamousneo is a streamer and he has a lot of videos up on his YouTube channel that might help provide some insight into the game: https://www.youtube.com/user/neoikaruga/videos

His latest video features a turn 3 Reginald Lancashire in draft. It's pretty awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgq_jt4HVMw

I honestly feel like watching some of the Hex streamers can be a great way to learn more about the game, drafting, cards, etc.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just went up against someone in round 1 who drafted four Twisted Fate. He got 3 of them out early in game one and game two, but luckily going into game two I knew what I was up against and stacked my deck, and won the round.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Sigma-X posted:

Better lucky than good, I guess.

Dude replicators gambit's his briar and then draws it a turn later.

Hacky uploaded a video of this play if you want to see it from his perspective. Skip to around 11:25 to see the replicated briar legion come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zs6vTlU3nI

Edit: Here is the Buccaneer play. Skip to around 16:25. He is able to bounce the replicated one back into his hand and play it again the following turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHydrQ0wzw

Protip fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 27, 2014

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Go RV! posted:

I'm a Dungeon Crawler.

I got two.

Don't feel too bad. I'm in the same boat.

Nice to see the updates today and the plans to give new players more ways to get familiar with the game and earn some free cards.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Completed my first Swiss draft going 2-1 with a bye in the last round. Swiss is great for the experience of just getting to play more. I drafted a really silly robot artifact deck in an attempt to go robot/dwarf but the dwarf cards just never showed up. I lost the first round to someone who drafted similarly to me, which explained where some of the cards I was hoping for went. Even though I lost in that first round I had fun pulling off putting in Nature Reigns as my only Wild card and was able to draw it along with a shards to take out his Volcannon. Elimination Specialist was fantastic in my second round as I was able to completely clear my opponents board when I played it. They conceded the last game when I put out Droo's Colossal Walker.

I hadn't been having much luck at all doing competitive drafts so it was nice to pull off a win and get a couple packs back while getting some good playtime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Does anyone have a nice excel spreadsheet that you are using to keep track of your collection you might be able to share as a Google doc? Or is the Hex TCG Browser the preferred go-to method for tracking one's collection? While I know I'm no where near close to having a playset I'd like to start keeping an inventory of what cards I do have.

• Locked thread