Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Karnegal posted:

That's the Hex take on this Magic card. Hitting duplicates is way more powerful though and you get spells

I think what he was mentioning was the equipment on it. What is the Eye of Creation deck? If you have that piece of equipment on it, does it just pull from a starter deck or something rather than your own deck?

It's strange, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Veyrall posted:

Nah, collectors go apeshit over things with limited availability. It's competitive, non-collector players (such as myself) who despise things with limited availability.

I'm in this primarily for the PVP and as long as limited availability things stay out of PVP I am not only okay with it, I actively encourage it.

I don't want this to turn into a thing where, just for the sake of example, the Best Deck is some orc rushdown deck. So you go to face a raid boss and you and both of your friends are all running that same orc rushdown deck. It would be really, really boring. With limited availability cards, the faction and reputation system and things like that, it means a group of players will have a more diverse cardset to work with so it will be extremely unlikely for three players to go at a raid with the same deck.

But keep that poo poo way the hell out of PVP.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Grim posted:

So of the 10 thousand-plus backers so far there will be 6,084 copies of Spectral Lotus Garden floating around, generating a new Spectral Lotus each day you log in (plus converting Black Tigers back into Lotus') - because non-backer players will take a while to start showing up I can't help but think that Spectral Lotus' will be really common for a long time...

There's no way they made this game anticipating a measly 10,000 players if they put two million dollars into it. As with all games, pre-orders are a fraction of actual sales and representation, especially with games like this where it's 100% free to play, so a lot of people question why they would bother backing a kickstarter for a free game that doesn't even exist yet.

As for my guess, the first 60 days are going to be a sea of spectral lotuses on the auction house. It will slowly die down after that.

Keep in mind these spectral lotuses are PVE only, so I can't imagine them being THAT big of a deal, they'll be something people use rarely to get an edge in a hard dungeon. Then way later when really hard content is being created, people will worry about buying them.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

That also implies that you'll be getting your KS rewards when the beta goes live, as there'd be no reason to link your accounts if you weren't. Which people said would be really bad due to getting a year of drafts during the beta period.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Illusionis posted:

Just bit the bullet and decided to go for a Dungeon Crawler pledge, still not sure if I`m going to keep it, go for a king or try to switch to pro player, anyway this game looks pretty neat and is filling a desire I never knew I had before Heartstone was published and this just looks like a much more involved and deeper version of it.

Hex is indeed deeper and more involved than Hearthstone, but that's the entire point of Hearthstone: It's very quick gameplay wise and very casual.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Illusionis posted:

According to HexTCG on twitch stream Omen of oblivion does not trigger a suffle on your opponents decks, so you will know what your opponent is going to play for every turn and you will be able to know everything they will draw for every turn, and deny their best card.

Seems to me that it will be changed or it will be one of the best cards in the set.

If it creates a new copy, and doesn't trigger a shuffle, wouldn't you just play it on their top card no matter what it is, and continue playing it on their top card every time which would never allow them to draw again?

Even if they play a card that says "draw three cards" you would STILL void all three as it sounds like it triggers the moment they draw the first of the three.

That has to be a bug or something, especially with the equipment.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm really wondering how they're going to design raid encounters such that decks that can launch something like an infinite combo on turn 2 don't trivialize them. I'm sure there'll be some really ridiculous combos that people will discover, so how do you actually balance PvE raids to account for that?

In addition to what Zurai said, the #1 thing I expect to happen is the computer just going "Nope." and then your combo stops, cut and dry. The AI detects that you're causing an infinite loop and a card magically pops out of their deck and activates, killing everything on your side of the board and forcing you to void/banish/exile/whatever your hand to prevent it from continuing. I also expect them to do something similar to the Magic: The Gathering Archenemy thing, where every upkeep the Archenemy pulls from a special, separate, deck of cards pretty much designed to ruin your day.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 4, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Cynic Jester posted:

Precons remove literally half the gameplay from a CCG. Setting up a deck is just as much part of the experience as actually playing it, and in some aspects, the far more demanding of it. I can't really see them doing that. It would remove a sense of progression from the PvE gameplay as I'd expect people to not only identify with their avatar, but also their deck. Making it so the rewards you get out of a raid can't be used for that raid is dumb, and limiting the rewards to only the precon set up for that particular raid is even worse.

I would be absolutely flabbergasted if "Attack this raid with this precon deck" does not exist in some form. Maybe not for "standard" raids but for challenge modes or something similar. It's just too easy to design a challenging encounter that way, since it allows you to control both the raid and the attacking force, to pass up the opportunity. You said that it would remove a sense of progression from PVE gameplay if you can't use the rewards you get from a raid to attack that raid, and you're right that that's annoying. But you can still offer tangible rewards that can be used in a precon deck, such as alternate art, special sleeves, etc or remove it from PVE "progression" entirely by making it a special challenge mode that only opens up after you beat the basic raid.

The bottom line is that it adds more to do and that's always good.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Noticed someone swapped off of Pro Player for the first time since I've started checking but I was too slow to snag their spot. :argh:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Having +1 card in hand at the start is a large advantage, but it's PVE only and PVE is going to be absolutely bonkers to the point where +1 card in hand is not that big of a deal.

At the very least, I'd much rather Dungeon Crawler or Pro Player. The only one I'd really put it above is Guild Master, and only then because you only need one guild leader per guild.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd much rather have Pro Player as well, but that's not really an option any more, so I'm torn between Dungeon Crawler and Raid Leader.

Have they clarified their language at all in regards to Dungeons and Raids? Are they different things? You'd assume raids would be the activity where you get the super rare stuff, and if Dungeon Crawlers bonus doesn't work there, that might change things.

Even if Dungeon Crawler doesn't work in raids it's still going to be the more desirable option. Raid Leader's +1 card size is very clear and you can directly imagine how useful it's going to be. Good, but not spectacular. I mean, there's no cooldown on raids, right? What's stopping you from mulliganing and then forfeiting until you get a good opening hand?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Stupid people are how you get easy draft rewards though. You can't hate that.

(It's me, i'm the one who always loses drafts)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

boho posted:

Someone tell me which tier to buy, ideally using things like science and math. Would one of the $250 flavors only be worth it if I played draft every single week?

Get the Pro Player tier and then coordinate with me on skype to give me your spot.

But yes, all of them are actually very good money for value, as they all get 1 year of free drafts. One year of free drafts alone will cover the cost of the tier, and profit, and that doesn't even include all the bonuses that go with them. That said, as things currently stand, I think Dungeon Crawler is the best tier until pro player starts to open up in the closing hours.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Ixjuvin posted:

I'm Mad that I only discovered this today, I've never wanted to give anyone $500 so badly before. Why don't they want to take my money :argh:

You can occasionally refresh the "manage your pledge" page to see if people transfer their pledge to a different tier, then snag theirs. People pile onto that poo poo like wild animals, though, so you'll often see them go into the negative and you have to wait for it to count down to zero before you even have a chance of getting back in. Make sure you pre-pledge the full amount for the tier you want, because if you only have King at the moment($120) and you try to select a $250 tier, it will error and you will have certainly missed your window. Remember to change your pledge back to the lower number if you can't snag a higher tier before the kickstarter ends or you'll be charged for the full amount and you'll only get the lower reward.

If you really want to give them $500, that's about the only way to do it unless they start taking bribes somehow.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Overflight posted:

OK, someone please tell me if I'm either stupid or insane: I have the Pro Player tier but I'm starting to wonder if I will play tournaments THAT often...is there anyone willing to trade it for Dungeon Crawler somehow?

I have a Dungeon Crawler I'm holding on to, but Pro Player is currently at negative 5 so 5 people would have to ditch.

I would trade my DC for a PP in a second, though. Maybe they'll give us account creation codes instead of attaching it to our KS emails and you can jsut swap it that way?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is there any kind of guarantee that the people in the -4 positions of the Pro Player will actually get their reward tier?

I'm wondering that if five people drop, and I pile onto it with the rest of the pack and I end up as one of the negatives, will it charge my $250 pledge and not give the tier? Because that would be...a bit of a bummer.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

inklesspen posted:

From the latest update:

Does this significantly change how valuable people think DC is?

I think all of us knew it was never going to happen, but it IS kind of a bummer.

Raids aren't going to have a cooldown, you can run them as often as you want. Thus, doubling loot wouldn't have been that big of a deal. If it were weekly lockouts like WoW then yes, but since EVERYONE can just run it again for 100% more loot then whatever. But it would have been nice to not need to do the extra run.

Still, I was hoping they'd leave it in so maybe I could trade a DC away for a PP but whatever. v:shobon:v

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

tijag posted:

So I've read what I've been able to find about the DC tier reward and am still not clear. Is it possible to explain it to me like I'm an idiot, because from what I've read, the KS text doesn't seem to make sense. Do you really just get an extra drop off of all PvE [excluding raids]?

You get rewards as if you did it twice. That's it.

You might get nothing on both rolls. You might get something on both.

What i'm most interested in with it is how it's going to handle the inevitable limited rewards. They haven't confirmed if everything will be repeatable. I'm picturing some sort of story branch where you can do A or B, but only once because it rewards you with a unique card they don't want you getting multiples of. Would you get two?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I just realized how many people are going to have "their likeness on card art" from the kickstarter: 75 not including producer (because who knows how many are real). I predict many bearded characters the next few sets...

I really hope I have enough Fedora equipment to go around.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Kairos posted:

Who's "someone"? If it's not someone from Cryptozoic, I wouldn't put much stock in it. Denying people the rewards they paid for is not going to generate a lot of goodwill, and just letting anyone who secured a slot on Kickstarter have their reward doesn't cost them anything.

It does though. Every extra person that gets into Pro Player is $364 a year. It costs them money for every person that buys into the kickstarter at this point because they're selling their products at massively discounted prices at every tier.

I'm going to try to get into Pro Player before the hammer falls, but if the numbers are still negative after I get in I may switch to King at the last second.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I guess that settles that then. If someone gets in on these last few hours they better hope it hits zero again before time ends.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

nerox posted:

Leaving on a fishing trip and won't have internet when this thing ends. I think I will keep my DC pledge I upgraded to on Monday. :getin:

Probably going to do this as well. It's too late to reliably switch to PP now, I didn't get in overnight, and it's unlikely that it's going to both open up spots and reset to zero in five hours. I'm going to be extremely jealous of those people running PP and getting three free packs every week, but maybe I can sell all that extra DC loot for platinum to buy packs with.

Probably not though :smith:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

GaistHeidegger posted:

How best might someone pick up a spare squire/warrior tier to hold onto 'just in case' a buddy ends up wanting to tag along for the beta but didn't catch the kickstarter? So far I had read including instructions with the paypal side to say someone else + their e-mail address, but I am not sure which of said nebulous fence-sitters might want to cave later and want a better deal than the slacker backer schtick.

Considering they have five hours to decide which side of the fence they're going to fall on, you might want to discuss that with them now.

Otherwise, yes, as far as i'm aware paypal + email is the way to do it.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Adar posted:

The game won't die in 2 years because too many people are too invested in it, but that's also the reason Magic isn't going anywhere. The overwhelming likelihood is that it'll be a niche title with a steady but not giant fanbase for a long time.

That's also why DC >>>>>>>>>> rest.

I have DC, but I still think PP/GK are going to be significantly better because whether you want to draft or not PP is 3 packs of cards per week, meaning you really shouldn't ever have to put money into this game again.

I do like grindin' me some dungeons, though, so there's that. Maybe the PVPVE casual tournaments will be fun.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And yeah, really happy with Grand King and think it's the best long term value. Dungeon Crawler will be great initially but after a while interest in the PvE side of things is going to wane.

I don't think PVE will wane particularly, but it 100% depends on how fast they generate content. They talked about a new set every 4 months, if they introduce a significant amount of(a lot of which is actually challenging) PVE content each set then I imagine PVE will stay highly active. Moreso if they release it in chunks throughout a set rather than all at once.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

My favorite Magic term is "Luckstack" when I run weenie/rush decks like drawing up a shitload of common goblins is some magical star-aligning moment that only occurs when lady luck finds it favorable.

And I get it a lot in magic communities. A hell of a lot.

Magic is one of the better communities, but boy howdy there are some childish motherfuckers in it. I think the innate patience required to play well weeds out a lot of the more hotheaded people but they're by no means rare.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I know it's super unlikely but I'm holding out hope they'll let us stack VIPs. I would have little problem putting up $12 a month for 3 packs a week. But I imagine making VIP not stack is kind of how they intend to make money on the game.

I realize set-one boosters are going to be worth a penny or so, but from set-two onward that VIP status is going to start looking mighty tempting.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, so for 4 dollars you can buy 4 packs for 4 dollars. That,... uh... doesn't sound like you're saving money.

Maybe you misunderstood?

A pack is usually $2. So if you were to buy 1 pack per week it would be $8 at the end of a month.

VIP costs $4 a month and it awards you a free booster each week, or $1 per pack. Half off.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BambooEarpick posted:

I did misunderstand. One booster a week for $1 each made it sound like you got a dollar discount off of a pack, once a week (that you had to buy). I now understand that you get a FREE pack, once a week, for signing up for VIP (which is 4 dollars). I highly doubt they'd let us stack VIPs otherwise 12 dollars (+4 tix/platinum/dollars) would mean 4 drafts a month. That would be amazing.

The thing is, since it's a free to play game there's nothing stopping me from getting three accounts, putting VIP on all three of them, then mailing the weekly boosters to my main account. $4 x 3 = $12, with one dollar a week for draft fees coming out to total $16. That's one dollar more than I pay for World of Warcraft each month, and a draft a week(three packs minimum) is worth a lot more than hoping Iron Qon gives me my loving shoulders this week(he won't).

Allowing us to stack them merely streamlines the process and is convenient. I can understand why they'd want to not make it easy, but I can also see merit in making giving them more money an easy process. After set 1, anyway. (or year one for many people).

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

They have said they will ban you over abuse of the VIP system.

Welp, that settles that I guess.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

JerryLee posted:

Regardless of how many boosters per month you can get at $1 before you have to move to paying a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS, it's still going to be an insanely good entertainment value compared to the other options in the genre (assuming that the game is fun to draft in the first place).

I really hope this takes off so that MTGO's feet (and MTG's in general) get held to the fire. I know that it's a tall order to significantly break into this market, similar to trying to break into the traditional MMORPG market with WoW serving as the 700-pound gorilla, but I'm going to hope every time it comes along.

I don't want to make it sound like $2 is too much for a booster. It isn't, not at all, especially since I'm actually more interested in deckbuilding structured play rather than drafts.

The only reason I mention it is because a draft a week is pretty nice time-wise. Gives me something to look forward to once a week, without burning out on multiples in a week. A price point to hit that one-a-week draft that's also around the cost of other MMOs would be perfect, especially if it was actually convenient to sign up for(stacking VIPs)

But it really isn't a big deal and i'm not sweating it because for $17 you can draft 3 weeks, then do the VIP tournament on the fourth week. $20 more a year over a standard mmo isn't going to kill anyone, and that's assuming that from set two onward boosters stay $2 which we all know they won't.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I doubt it, but curious if people would actually pay more for some of the odder stuff kept track of on the double backs. A mangled zombie that was used in the deck of the winner of Mega Tourney XYZ, is still just a mangled zombie. I wouldn't be surprised if that's account based though and exp/etc. gets reset if it trades hands.

They absolutely will, to an absurd degree. People pay out the rear end for internet dress-up prestige, and that will be the closest that Hex will have to dress-up prestige.(outside of deck sleeves).

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Honestly, the lack of deckbuilding is the entire reason I played and enjoyed the DOTP series. Being able to pick a pre-con and play against other pre-cons made it more like an arcade-y fighting game which was a nice change of pace. Not that I don't like deckbuilding, far from it, but it was a nice alternative for $10. Not sure this is the place to talk about it though, I guess.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Seems they've added a deck builder to the current known card list. Theory deck crafting ho!
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/deck.php

edit: wow. Check the equipment. Lots of new stuff I haven't seen yet

First deck for PVP is definitely going to be Blood/Wild Shin Hare/zombie deck, there's some really good card synergy there.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

A booster pack with all cards being a mixture of rare/legendary, including a legendary treasure chest. When a booster pack is bought there's a small chance it will be a primal pack. Not sure if boosters won from a tournament can be primals.

Will VIP packs have this chance?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Grim posted:

I don't think I'll be able to resist cracking open every Primal I get my hands on, the best I can hope for is that I have the restraint to not open them all at once

If you plan on opening all of them, would it make a difference if you open them all at once or not?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

nerox posted:

I wonder how many people are going to be using their free drafts to cherry pick the most valuable card they can each round and how many are going to be drafting to win.

I imagine you are going to have some soft competition right at the beginning.

Back when I played magic, this was a huge deal. People would often take valuable rares right out of the gate even if they didn't plan on using it. Because if they win, whatever, they get a valuable rare out of it! I imagine a boatload of people are going to be snagging rares up, and you'll probably never see a legendary passed to you.

Once, a guy actually took a rare that he knew in advance his rival was trying to get his hands on just so his rival's built deck wouldn't get stronger. They got into a physical fight over that one :allears:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Crosswell posted:

Which is why incestuous metas are hilarious when it's the same 3 or 4 dudes who get together and bicker for 5 hours. If you live in a town with the same 7 magic players, recruit more players. It is not only absurdly achievable with a little energy put into it but it makes for a much more interesting, diverse FNM/local scene.

Even if you have fifty guys you're still going to have rivalries. Two people of relatively equal skill playing similar decks for example are always going to be rivals because they're always going to try to come out over the other. Yes, those two I mentioned were the lovely kind, but rivalry doesn't necessarily mean bitter or bad. Rivalries are always going to be a good thing, as it pushes both players to be better and helps drive interest. I don't know what kinds of players we're going to have in the goon guild, but I would be outright shocked if we don't have similar situations crop up as people start playing constructed matches against each other.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Konstantin posted:

While Hex is great and all, I think it's asking a bit too much of them to replicate the "new cardboard smell" in a digital medium. :v:

When you set magic cards on fire they actually exploded as the front of the card was glued onto the back of the card so gasses built up between them and they popped like popcorn.

How will Hex replicate this phenomenon? If they want to keep pace with their leading competitor, these are the things they will have to plan for. Cardboard Smell is only the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

signalnoise posted:

Man, something I really hadn't thought about before, but it just struck me that a major factor in being able to win a draft is knowing the set you're drafting inside and out so you can sort of bet on certain types of cards being in packs at various rarities. I think I'm going to stink at drafting just because I am really bad at memorizing 300 cards including their rarities.

I'm very good at memorizing cards and knowing the sets, because I put a lot of stock into constructed format tournaments and I brainstorm new decks pretty constantly.

I am terrible at drafting. Just awful. I have never been good at it, and I never will be. The entire reason I draft is to get 45 cards and maybe have a theme between them to work with later and get drunk and gently caress around with my friends.

• Locked thread