Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I'm so excited for this game. I came back to Magic about a year ago with Avacyn (oops) and I've been playing a lot of limited. This game looks perfect for me, since I can get in on the ground floor and the interface is what Magic Online should look like. I pledged at King about 15 minutes after finding out about the Kickstarter, but I'm really waffling on whether or not to boost that to Collector or Dungeon Crawler. Count me in for the Goon Guild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm rusty enough on TCG play that I want to practice in PvE a bit before jumping into the deep end of the pool. Just browsing modern Magic decks there are a lot of concepts and abilities that I had to look up ("annihilator"? Indestructible? Hexproof? Flashback?) and I'll need to play for a bit before I'll have a deck worth actually taking against other people.

Also, if they manage to make the PvE segment nearly as fun as the Microprose Shandalar game from back in the day, it will be fantastic.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
gently caress spellshield.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Just boosted from King to Collector with 5 minutes to go. I'm ready for alpha.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

signalnoise posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say this. I will rare draft if I consider the cost-benefit analysis to be in my favor. IE if the rare is worth 3 boosters, winning the tournament will get me 4 boosters, and there is less than a 75% chance in my mind that I will win, then yes I will draft that rare. I would expect most people at my skill level to do the same.

Yeah, this is precisely how I draft Magic. I want to win, but I'm realistic about my chances and I'll take a chase rare if it nets me a good turnaround. That said, I'll try to build a deck around that rare or leave it out if I need to.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

tijag posted:

This is a bummer.

It seems like the format would be a better GAME if instead of you keeping the cards you picked, you kept the cards you opened.

Edit: ^^Yeah, what he said. It's also why I hate rare redrafting at the end of drafts. I picked those cards they are mine give them to me.

I don't really understand what you mean. By doing it in standard booster draft format, you have the choice of what cards you open, build a deck with, and keep. Otherwise you just end up with random jank. If you want to keep the cards you open, why not just open 3 random packs?

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
While we're all waiting on any word for alpha/beta, I bet a lot of people here will be interested in what Blizzard has to say regarding the upcoming Hearthstone beta:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/4600314/hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft-beta-not-months-away-blizzard-says

It's "not days away, but not months away, either." Something to do until Hex comes around.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Captain Capitalism posted:

The website has a link to the beta client, but it's the exact same as the alpha client right now. It may not be published yet, they might still be working this out.

I hope it goes a little better than when they released the alpha client, and the servers exploded.

I dipped out of this game basically since I kickstarted it since the alpha wasn't too appealing, but I'm jumping back in today. I just checked the Hex twitter account and they did confirm about an hour ago that the beta is an entirely new client.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

All Nines posted:

Phew, got into a queue! I hope I somehow draft really well and crush everyone, because after reading the chat for about ten minutes I already hate a large portion of this game's player base.

Yeah, I'm ready for GoonGuild. But then hating other players is why I stopped playing Magic in person, too.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Anyone planning on streaming? I'm moving house for a while and won't have a chance to draft for weeks and weeks.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Is there a good site with rankings for the current cards? I have a dungeon crawler account and I'm stoked to start drafting, but things are absolutely insane at work and home right now and I am struggling to find any time. I need every advantage I can get to not bomb out round one every time while I wait for Swiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I don't know poo poo about the law, but I know I'm enjoying this game and don't want WotC to gently caress it up because they can't make a decent online client.

• Locked thread