Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm running it on my work computer, which is set up for heavy CAD work and has a quad core i7, 16GB of RAM and a 2GB Quadro. It's also running from an SSD if that makes a difference.

Maybe it doesn't like the Quadro or something. I could try it on my home computer, which has a GTX 660, but much less memory and an older processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sagebrush posted:

I'm running it on my work computer, which is set up for heavy CAD work and has a quad core i7, 16GB of RAM and a 2GB Quadro. It's also running from an SSD if that makes a difference.

Maybe it doesn't like the Quadro or something. I could try it on my home computer, which has a GTX 660, but much less memory and an older processor.

Yeah I'd guess it's the graphics card. I have a GTX460M and rarely crash, also have a quad core i7. It gets a bit choppy if I really speed up time or fly right through a star cluster but otherwise it's smooth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgsNMoXXv0 This is with LoD at 1 I think, and also some .ini tweaks to bump the surface detail up but quite a lot, with FRAPS recording and I get jerky but playable framerates.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, I think it must not like Quadros. On my desktop computer with the 660, it ran really smoothly for about 5 minutes until it locked up and then bluescreened when I tried to open the task manager. :tipshat:

In that 5 minutes I was able to wander around and find a red dwarf with 10 planets. One of the planets was a big blue ringed gas giant with five little moons, and one of the moons was an earth-like with life. Floating along the surface of an alien world, with an orange sun glaring through the dust and the ghost of a giant ringed world peeking through the clouds, is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a video game.

I think I will like this thing a lot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nvidia's workstation line of cards like the Quadros and Teslas aren't meant for gaming and perform worse than a desktop card at a fraction of the price, they're for completely different applications. That said, the workstation at work won't even start Space Engine because it doesn't have the right APIs.

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
This new version is a lot, and I mean a lot more stable then the last one. I still get crashes, but I can now explore the surfaces of planets without getting any crashes. Here are a few choice screenshots I took.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Nice work on the new thread, Sire Oblivion. I like the title, too.

Reposting a few pics:

western eyes
Nov 5, 2011

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
Other than making my system chug like crazy, it's been stable so far, even when whipping through dense star clusters, watching the earth spin a million times per frame, and slinging through a hundred galaxies.

But in all that, I knew what I had to take pictures of first.

"Eternity lies ahead of us, and before. Have you drunk your fill?"

If hell ever froze over and someone summoned up the stones to remake Alpha Centauri, I'd want one of these to be the cover art.

Dice Dingus fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 4, 2013

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
I finally got a chance to download this all I can say is it is very cool. Warping around a system and the universe at high speed is a trip. It runs great on my Qosmio laptop which is just over a year old, but it does take a LONG time to render detailed planets.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Realised I still have my 0.95 folder on my laptop with 7gb of texture data for Earth. Not sure if it'll work with 0.97 though.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

kemikalkadet posted:

Realised I still have my 0.95 folder on my laptop with 7gb of texture data for Earth. Not sure if it'll work with 0.97 though.

The install instructions say do not install over an old version, though I'm not sure if that is just the engine or if it applies to cache as well.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

BriceFxP posted:

The install instructions say do not install over an old version, though I'm not sure if that is just the engine or if it applies to cache as well.

I've never installed Space Engine, didn't even realise you could. I have 0.95, 0.96 and 0.97 in seperate folders within my C:/Games folder. Unless you mean the earth mod, which is only extracted to the 0.95 folder. I'm not sure if that will work in newer versions since I think he changed the way bump maps work.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I decided to figure out how binary stars work and how it looks like from a planet orbiting the barycenter. Not high quality unfortunately.

Also, is this my computer giving up on life or is this strange kind of ocean?

And finally, the night sky for a planet orbiting a star on the fringe of the galaxy. It's very lonely since the galaxy drowns out all the other minor stars, clusters and other galaxies from far away.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

"A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns; the rising of the Milky Way."

I really wish this game didn't poo poo the bed after 5 minutes every time I play. :smith:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Royal W posted:

I really wish this game didn't poo poo the bed after 5 minutes every time I play. :smith:

Me too. The previous version was rock solid, but the current one is so much prettier.
It's fine on my notebook that has an nVidia card, but it doesn't have as much muscle as the ATI in my desktop. I really hope the next version, when it finally comes, will do better.

E:
I may have found the setting that caused the problems for me. Towards the end of main.cfg there's a setting for LoaderMode, which defaults to 2 (asynchronous). According to some person on the SE forums, that causes problems loading galaxies, so you should set it to 1 (interleaved).
I've been zipping around with no crashes since setting it.

E2: Some pictures.

A gas giant with rings orbiting a quadruple star system consisting of two binary systems and a galaxy in the background.

Planetrise on a life bearing moon with a few other planets from the system showing and an aurora.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 12, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I found that exact same planet that Gobblecoque did. Same moon, same surface features. I thought I just found it by clicking around. But, the odds of us both finding the same planet in all of the cosmos seem, well, astronomical.

Anyways, picture time

Fun with perspective:

Earth, a little bit of the milky way, hale-bopp, the andromeda galaxy, the triangulum galaxy, the sun:

Binary stars are cool. The first picture highlights the terminator of a moon in a binary system. The second shows the same moon casting an eclipse. The red shadow is where the small blue sun is eclipsed. The diffuse blue shadow is where the giant red sun is eclipsed

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I found that exact same planet that Gobblecoque did. Same moon, same surface features. I thought I just found it by clicking around. But, the odds of us both finding the same planet in all of the cosmos seem, well, astronomical.

That's because everyone sees that planet when they first unpack and load up the current version of the program. It nicely showcases the big new features.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Fun with perspective:

Earth, a little bit of the milky way, hale-bopp, the andromeda galaxy, the triangulum galaxy, the sun:

Are you a wizard?

Beautiful. Really, really beautiful.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just started this up and wow

I know its not that spectacular but still

Rumda fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 22, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Stab posted:

Anyways, picture time

Fun with perspective:

Binary stars are cool. The first picture highlights the terminator of a moon in a binary system. The second shows the same moon casting an eclipse. The red shadow is where the small blue sun is eclipsed. The diffuse blue shadow is where the giant red sun is eclipsed

These are incredible, holy poo poo. Remember, if you want to keep up to date with the development of SpaceEngine, like the Facebook page, and to see just some awesome loving shots. Currently he's working on getting textures on space ships to glow and having textures blend better. :hellyeah:

edit: VVV Done.

sigher fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 30, 2013

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

Remember, if you want to keep up to date with the development of SpaceEngine, like the Facebook page, and to see just some awesome loving shots. Currently he's working on getting textures on space ships to glow and having textures blend better. :hellyeah:

Awesome, I had no idea this existed. Would it be worth adding to the OP?

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 30, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Anyone care to post "pretty" configs or whatever? My landscape textures are nowhere near detailed as these photos, and I have no idea what settings I need to edit.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
We should try making up and perhaps even drawing hypothetical extraterrestrial life forms to inhabit some of these worlds.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

God this game is pretty.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spacedad posted:

We should try making up and perhaps even drawing hypothetical extraterrestrial life forms to inhabit some of these worlds.

Sure but don't do it in this thread please

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, having more than 10 posts a month in this thread would really ruin it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd rather the updates actually be about the game and not fanfiction about cool space circles

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

And I'd say that with such a slow moving thread it doesn't matter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Archer2338 posted:

Anyone care to post "pretty" configs or whatever? My landscape textures are nowhere near detailed as these photos, and I have no idea what settings I need to edit.

That graphics card are you running? Setting the LOD to 2 will give you the highest level of detail but your card might be limiting it.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Space Engine owns but I want to get outside the visible universe and my laptop isn't capable of going fast enough in intergalactic space (without crashing) to pull it off in a reasonable timeframe. I like how galaxies become increasingly redshifted as you move away.

Black holes are pretty fun in this game if you can get to the middle of a globular cluster without crashing. Some higher density stars also seem to have gravitational lensing. If it was more stable I'd mess around with it constantly, but I don't think the guy has touched it since 2011.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

but I don't think the guy has touched it since 2011.

If you mean the dev, the last update was last May and he's constantly posting bits he's working on on his facebook page.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does this thing have controller support at all, or do I need to start messing with keymapper? I really want to play it on my TV, and it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad with shortcuts except for needing to center the view to select things.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

Space Engine owns but I want to get outside the visible universe and my laptop isn't capable of going fast enough in intergalactic space (without crashing) to pull it off in a reasonable timeframe. I like how galaxies become increasingly redshifted as you move away.

Black holes are pretty fun in this game if you can get to the middle of a globular cluster without crashing. Some higher density stars also seem to have gravitational lensing. If it was more stable I'd mess around with it constantly, but I don't think the guy has touched it since 2011.

You can't actually get out of the visible universe. The only thing you can do is move in one direction for so long the game enging stops spawning galaxies because it filled up the memory. There's not really anything to see there anyways. Except a starless sky i guess which could be cool as a backdrop.

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT
Oh man this game is gorgeous, so glad my computer can run it! so far it only crashes when I'm speeding through dense clusters of stars with the graphics on the highest settings. It also crashed once when I increased the flow of time to the highest value and then flew out of the Milky Way to see if I could watch it collide with Andromeda (no such luck)

That said, here are some of my favorite screenshots I've taken!

Spent a lot of time in this system because the blue star and the blue planet were just breathtaking

Is anyone else getting really fuzzy auroras? This planet looked like its never loaded. I haven't seen many other planets with auroras though other than the pictures in this thread (all great btw) but none of them are really from this angle so it's hard to tell.

Edit: nevermind, I guess they just appear fuzzy from far away

One last thing, I went to the center of the Milky Way galaxy (found an impressive cluster of stars that looks like what I'd imagine an atom to look like!) but no black hole? I guess technically I shouldn't be able to see it, but the way they were mentioned in the OP I assumed I'd at least be able to detect it. Or am I mistaken about there even being a black hole at the center of the Milky Way in the first place?

dragoat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

dragoat posted:

One last thing, I went to the center of the Milky Way galaxy (found an impressive cluster of stars that looks like what I'd imagine an atom to look like!) but no black hole? I guess technically I shouldn't be able to see it, but the way they were mentioned in the OP I assumed I'd at least be able to detect it. Or am I mistaken about there even being a black hole at the center of the Milky Way in the first place?

Ctrl+G will take you there; move back and forward a little if you can't see it.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

dragoat posted:

It's there. The event horizon as fantastically small on the galactic scale so you can't really find it by flying around looking. You can find it in the broswer and jump to it, i also think you can zoom up to it by selecting the galaxy as a whole then double tapping 'land'.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Tangentially related to the thread, but my LP just went interstellar, and I'm looking into using SE for generating imagery for extrasolar planets. I'm wondering if anyone in this thread has had any experience with scripting up new planetary systems?

dragoat
Mar 21, 2012

YOU STOP THAT

seravid posted:

Ctrl+G will take you there; move back and forward a little if you can't see it.

kemikalkadet posted:

It's there. The event horizon as fantastically small on the galactic scale so you can't really find it by flying around looking. You can find it in the broswer and jump to it, i also think you can zoom up to it by selecting the galaxy as a whole then double tapping 'land'.

Oh huh. Hopefully it won't try to land me too fast and crash the game as I'm whizzing by all those stars and potential solar systems. It's probable that it was just too small for me to see at the speed I was traveling at.

I think one of the most impressive things about this game is that the speed you need to travel at really depends on what you're traveling relative to. Moving between galaxies at upwards of 3 pc/s is necessary but if you're even moving above a couple light-years per second within a galaxy you would never be able to tell that each point of light could have dozens of planets orbiting them. Slow down even further and space seems to get more empty but you can appreciate the little things more.

found this completely black sphere orbiting a planet. Based on the pictures you two linked I no longer think it's a black hole, so it's probably just a moon that failed to load its textures?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Yeah, sometimes textures stop loading for things, a restart generally fixes it.

Also, it was posted earlier in the thread (or maybe it was last thread?) that one way to cut down on crashes is to run the program in compatibility mode for XP. It doesn't eliminate them entirely by a long shot, but it does seem to make it more stable, at least for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dragoat posted:

Based on the pictures you two linked I no longer think it's a black hole, so it's probably just a moon that failed to load its textures?

The easiest way to tell if a black sphere is a black hole or something else is by looking for the gravitational lensing. It even affects the orbit indicators, so if those start curving in strange ways, that's a dead giveaway.

As for cutting down on crashes, I said it earlier in this thread but changing the line for LoaderMode in main.cfg from 2 (asynchronous) to 1 (interleaved) really helped stability, at the cost of some performance.
But I really prefer some slight choppiness when I fly through countless solar systems over crashing every 5 minutes.

• Locked thread