Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

This should be in the OP:

I like that, but my astrophysicist side is yelling at me to run some numbers to see if a tidally locked planet could maintain a hemispherical liquid water environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you think it might not be able to?

It seems like an overly simplistic result, especially for a planet that has considerable landmass like that one. The oceans would transmit considerable heat compared to solid surface, producing significant regions of snow and ice covered landscape while the oceans remained liquid. The atmosphere would probably be rotating independently of the planet core, leading to a preferential direction of heat transfer, focussed at the equator. There could be issues with maintaining conditions in which the water at the stellar maxima isn't cold enough to freeze, or hot enough to evaporate into major cloud cover, both of which could force albedo cooling, though that would depend somewhat on the spectral output of the parent star.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the orbital tracks for the comets around a star. The circles would be the orbits of the planets.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the best/only way to simulate a universe is to construct said universe.

Far easier to only simulate the bits you're interested in at the fine level and fudge the rest.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Contact binary asteroids are a thing, so that moon isn't totally absurd as a captured object. Assuming it is one object.

Contact binary stars are also a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

I found a "scorched ice giant" that's basically skimming the surface of its star. Not sure what kind of ice can survive those 1800 K temperatures...

"Ice giant" is a bit of a misnomer. In this context (astronomers love to redefine common words) "ice" is being used to emphasise that a large fraction of the object is made up of substances that form ices (water, methane, ammonia etc) rather than just hydrogen and helium.

• Locked thread