Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pomme
May 8, 2013

LoveMeDead posted:

I'm going to look into eating more cheaply, but for example: Tonight we had chicken stir fry. 2lb of chicken thighs that were marked down to $2.58, a bag of broccoli slaw marked down to $1.43, red and yellow peppers marked down to $0.74 each, an onion, several cloves of garlic, and Kroger brand stir fry sauce at $1.50 (we only used half the bottle). Tomorrow night we are having ham because it was on sale, but half of it will go to garbage eggs for a dinner later in the week.

How about buying frozen meat instead of fresh (even if it is about to go bad?) I've found in my own area that fresh chicken is particularly expensive compared to red meats. I don't even like to buy it for my partner and I. When cooking with chicken I only ever buy it frozen in a bigger box. Here (one of the most expensive areas in Canada) 4 pounds of frozen chicken breasts goes for $30. If you are American, I strongly believe you can find a more suitable option. I'm not saying you haven't tried, but try keeping to think outside of the box.

I would also cash in the college savings. If you are homeless, your kids won't be going to school anyways. They can always take out loans and you can put in money to help them, when your house isn't rotting to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pomme
May 8, 2013
I check frequently for updates, so please give us them still!

LoveMeDead posted:

I know. But with one car and all of the after school stuff he does, it's almost impossible. We are just trying to not feed his idiocy.

Don't make excuses for your boy. I am a full-time student with six science classes a semester and a research job. I spent about 70 hours a week on school work and I got the paid research gig on top of that to make ends meet (20 hours a week.) Going to college is a luxury. After school activities are a luxury. He should get a Saturday/Sunday job! He would respect money a lot more and improve his time management. Hopefully this car works out.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Why do you have to buy an iPad? Is it a requirement or something?

pomme
May 8, 2013

LoveMeDead posted:

It is. For clinical we have to have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. The screen on an ipod is too small for me. I'm going to get an iPad mini I think. Cheaper and easier to carry around. If I had a choice, I would not be getting an iPad.

Wow. That is really crappy. You should try get one refurbished or buy from a friend - it would knock a significant amount off the price.

• Locked thread