Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
CK2 is on sale on Steam right now - http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/ what the hell do I need to buy to get everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gyshall posted:

CK2 is on sale on Steam right now - http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/ what the hell do I need to buy to get everything?

Should be the CK2 Collection + The Old Gods.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, who's the best Zoroastrian to start out as?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Gyshall posted:

There's a pack on Amazon that has the base game, all pre-old gods DLC, and CK1 for $15. They're steam codes. I'd buy that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey do the Norse Portraits not change to suits of armor when leading troops? I notice Rurik looks the same either way, and it makes it kind of annoying to know whether or not a character is currently leading an army.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I caved and bought the ancillary DLCs (Norse songs/portraits/units). drat these crafty swedes!

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's a good place to start with Old Gods, because I don't know wtf is going on.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, Ivar is a nice start to introduce the new Viking stuff. I started as him, and the doomstack you start with allowed me to easily take over Northumberland and East Anglia. From there I kicked the king of Scotland around until I upsurped his title, then kicked him round some more. Inbetween I went to raids of the med, and Muslim Spain is nice raiding target, aslong as you amke sure no troops reach you.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

crm posted:

What's a good place to start with Old Gods, because I don't know wtf is going on.

I'm starting as Harald Fairhair of Ostlandet, and it seems like a pretty cool start. He's young, highly skilled, and with the ambition to become King of Norway you can subjugate all the little dudes around you. Watch out for his uncle, though, he plots like a Disney villain.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

crm posted:

Try Sjaelland. You start off holding half of Denmark and enough troops to immediately conquer the other half. You're related to the major Swedish kingdom and the Norse powers wrecking poo poo on the British Isles, and you have vast swathes of Slavic minors to the south and east to pillage, conquer or just generally stomp around on. Very forgiving, lots of potential, and you get to play with most of the shiny new features.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

JerikTelorian posted:

Sadly creating an Empire won't up your Demesne any more. Use the people finder and get a wife with the highest Stewardship you can find, from anywhere. Then try to grab a dude to be your Court Steward.

Maybe you want to just edit the savefile to give yourself more Legalism, really. You're only 50 years or so from the end date, so there is no chance you'll actually tech up in time. That's a shame man :(

Thanks for the help. I'm betrothed to a lass with 12 stewardship before her trait assignment, so I was gambling on that going well. I've had a couple of rulers get bonked on the head or catch consumption, so I'm putting down my 2nd independence war in a row, with at least one more sure to follow. I don't have the energy to do that while trying to salvage changes to the game. What's a good pick for a second playthrough? I have the Islam DLC if it matters.

e: Should I pick up any other DLC on sale? I heard the Republic was pretty meh, and I don't care much for non-gameplay content unless it's outstanding.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 28, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Are all Norse realms stuck with Gavelkind...? :raise:

cadmaniak
Nov 21, 2006

Le God
Now to wait for the latest Wizmod update (CK2+ shall hereforth be known as Wizmod again)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Ireland is a goddamn looting piņata :toot:

Qwo posted:

Are all Norse realms stuck with Gavelkind...? :raise:
Reform the faith.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kainser posted:

Reform the faith.
Yes I know, but weren't most Norse realms in real life nominally Elective? What were þings, after all?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kainser posted:

Reform the faith.

Hmm. What were the Norse Holy Sites? Apparently I need them before I can reform.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

cadmaniak posted:

Now to wait for the latest Wizmod update (CK2+ shall hereforth be known as Wizmod again)

Pray to The Wiz Gods for a faster release :colbert:

Mod compatibility seems like it'll take awhile with this patch. Such is the double edged sword of new DLC :(

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

AfroSquirrel posted:

Hmm. What were the Norse Holy Sites? Apparently I need them before I can reform.
Use the religious map mode.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anyone wondering where to start with a Norse ruler in Old Gods:

HALFDAN WHITESHIRT

KILL ALL ANGLES AND SAXONS :black101:

This is Jorvik about two months after Halfdan's tragic death in bed; Northumberland went independent due to Gavelkind but some loyalists within the Jarldom forced the Jarl, my Nephew, to give the title back and swear fealty to me.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Well, that was easy. Only took me 40 years as KingFylkir Haraldr Fairhair. The pagan subjugation CB is pretty crazy. I took all of Denmark, their possessions in England and a couple of Baltic provinces with one short war. Would probably have exploded pretty good when I died if I hadn't reformed the faith and switched to Elective succession.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm starting as Harald Fairhair of Ostlandet, and it seems like a pretty cool start. He's young, highly skilled, and with the ambition to become King of Norway you can subjugate all the little dudes around you. Watch out for his uncle, though, he plots like a Disney villain.

Yeah see he tried that so I imprisoned him and sacrificed him to Odin at my first blot. :unsmigghh:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Old Gods informs me that the duchy of Greater Poland is actually a republic, and I can't play republics despite having the proper DLC. What's wrong? Also, can you adjust the date pre-1066?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My first game in the Old Gods, and I'm having an absolute blast. In two raids I somehow first found a battleaxe + 2 (hilarious, and gives you martial skill), and also managed to abduct a young Carolingian woman and her son from a besieged castle. While I was out doing this, my brother (thanks forced Gavelkind) rebels and I hire a bunch of mercenaries to kick his rear end. This takes a while, and the Carolingian kid comes of age. Of course, I then make his mother into my concubine, knock her up, then hold a viking feast thing (blot?) where I sacrifice him and then, despire much pleading, my brother. Yeah, Charlemagne can't help you here bitches. As it stands I'm a kinslayer but everyone, including Odin, I hope, seems to love me thanks to all my sacrificing. Except my Carolingian concubine, of course, who I am fully anticipating sending assassins my way anytime soon.

Also, Jorvik has somehow conquered all of England. I love how much more scope for things going totally off the rails there is with the earlier start date, and with no horrible Holy Roman blob in the middle of the map. Brilliant expansion, well worth the extra few dollars, and I haven't even looked into the non-norse pagans yet.

fake edit: One minor annoyance - the number of times I've sailed my men halfway across Europe to do some sweet raiding, only to realise I forgot to toggle them into loot mode. That could be tweaked, slightly.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Holy poo poo, it is hard to keep a Norse crown. loving insane levels of hard. I managed to unite England and Ireland and Wales under the Irish crown, my King died, and despite his son being the most carefully-tended genius with twenties all across the board, every single loving vassal I had rose up to depose him.

The crown then changed hands eight times in four years. Eventually I ended up being king again because I was essentially the only person with any manpower left and was consequently able to smash everything the last king (who was in fact the original usurper, my younger brother) could put together.

On the flip side, Zoroastrianism is Easy Mode in which if you win your first few wars, the rest of the game is you rolling over everyone you want to until you get bored of the idea of conquest. Not a huge fan of what they've done with Zoroastrianism; the fact that the religion doesn't need reforming makes it very, very easy to play.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

StashAugustine posted:

Old Gods informs me that the duchy of Greater Poland is actually a republic, and I can't play republics despite having the proper DLC. What's wrong? Also, can you adjust the date pre-1066?

You can play merchant republics if you have that DLC. Merchant republics are coastal republics that are Duchy, Kingdom, or Empire level. The Duchy of Greater Poland is inland isn't it?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kainser posted:

Reform the faith.

You can't reform Norse Paganism :(

e; Wait that's a can not a can't

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 28, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wars seem to end a lot faster now. I started as the Mongols for kicks and the first country I invaded surrendered after losing a couple of battles and about five counties.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

The Republic DLC, unfortunately, only unlocks Trade Republics like Venice, Genoa, Pisa, etc. You'll know them by the presence of Patricians within the realm, and of course, their capital being on a coast for access to ships. Everything else is considered a "peasant" republic and cannot be played.

Keep in mind that when you pick a Republic at start, you're picking that Republic for good. You can go up ranks so Venice can become the Empire of Italia, but you cannot move and lose your capital, and you cannot declare independence from your Republic because that turns you into a peasant republic.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Paradox, please remove the retarded siege events. They have got to be one of the most pointless annoyances in the game. They average out to not matter at all, yet they constantly interrupt you and make warfare more painful than it has to be. Jesus, I'll probably just mod them out myself.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Really, though, what's the justification for Norse being Gavelkind?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Vikings, raiding and carving giant dicks into stones, 15 euros well spent

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Qwo posted:

I'm going to go with gameplay balance.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Whups, Harald died a bit early for my plans, and now it's a duel between his two quick sons. Fortunately, the elder has 2 duchies to the younger's three, and he has 18 Diplomacy despite being only 14 years old.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Raiding, once you have about 1000 men, is a really easy way to make cash. Sail into the med, steal unprotected loot, and run to the ships before a army arrives. Province loot regenerates so fast by the time to drop one lot of loot back home all the provinces you looted recover.

Also, western Europe is a mess. All the rulers being related means that everyone has claims on each others kingdoms and is calling the whole of western europe to war every time there is a minor dispute.

Finally, rebel ping-pong is back. Booooo.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 28, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Qwo posted:

Germanic peoples (including the Norse) traditionally divided land inheritances evenly among their sons. Since High Kings were elected in Scandinavia, this doesn't immediately translate over into the Gavelkind succession method but is pretty close when it comes to how most landed titles were passed down.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Spiderfist Island posted:

Germanic peoples (including the Norse) traditionally divided land inheritances evenly among their sons. Since High Kings were elected in Scandinavia, this doesn't immediately translate over into the Gavelkind succession method but is pretty close when it comes to how most landed titles were passed down.

Even if it makes sense, it means playing Norse isnt that fun because it's a race to reform before your starting ruler dies :(

Also, there's an inland holy site you don't have CB until you cut a swath towards it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just FYI, if you select Genghis Khan, the tooltip will tell you "Not allowed to play theocracies" for some reason, but you can still select him and hit the Play button.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kill thousands of Anglo-Saxons, take all their wives as concubines, conquer half of Scotland, go joyriding/pubcrawling through Ireland, sacrifice all your prisoners to Odin, do it all again.

~viking lyfe~

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Kainser posted:

Ireland is poor, Byzantium is where the real money is. There's a shitload of settlements with 30 gold average and Constantinople's countryside is marvelous for looting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Finally, rebel ping-pong is back. Booooo.

Yeah, rebels need to stay the gently caress at home. Some guys from near Samarkhand looking for independence ended up besieging Baghdad, because WOOOOO! ROAD TRIP! I don't think there was really ever any need to reform the rebel system in CK2, the rebels that mattered were nobles anyhow, and those are modelled by default.

• Locked thread