Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just FYI, if you select Genghis Khan, the tooltip will tell you "Not allowed to play theocracies" for some reason, but you can still select him and hit the Play button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's correct, just keep in mind that you have to own ALL the duchies and counties within the kingdom. If even a single barony is held by someone else, de jure drift will stop.

Having vassal kings can potentially be dangerous, because it means all the dukes and counts within their kingdom follow their banner, and they can amass much more individual power. If you want to a stable realm, it's much better for your vassals to be as granular and disunited as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any tips on surviving as one of the Zoroastrian satraps? Or is that even poissible? I always get steamrolled by Persia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been playing Rurik a lot lately, and managed to form Rus fairly often, but I always get roadblocked by loving gavelkind succession. I wish there was a way to make it less lovely, like being able to actually designate which titles my heirs will receive, rather than having them assigned at random.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whenever a new thread gets made the title should be "Previous thread died of natural causes."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I ran into an interesting thing the other day. I was playing as Rurik. I had multiple sons, but I had given out all but one of my county titles to vassals, so only my eldest would inherit. The only titles I had were the county and duchy of Holmgarthr, and I didn't have an alert warning me of title loss on succession.

Then I created the Kingdom of Rus. Immediately the title loss alert popped up and told me that my second son would inherit my duchy. My eldest would still inherit the county and kingdom though. What do you think happened when Rurik died?

(if you guessed "all the counties within the duchy of Holmgarthr become independent", you win a fabulous prize!)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gavelkind wouldn't be so bad if you could actually designate who gets what.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How the hell am I supposed to deal with adventurer threats? I have two years to assassinate him, and if that doesn't work I get a host that's easily five times the number of troops I can muster magically plunked down in the middle of my territory. And then when I surrender he gets to keep the special event troops so I have almost no chance of taking back my titles. It feels like complete bullshit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unfortunately I don't have a save from before the invasion, but here's the fucker who took my titles:

Before the invasion, my total levies, including retinues, was about 5000 men.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Carsius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdBFa3jGZI&t=974s

Not my video, so I don't have a save for it, but I feel this suits the issue pretty well- 30,000 event-spawned troops in year 975. And he magically spawns another 40,000 a bit later. A little much when your levy is a tenth of that.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. I got a notice that my own brother was gathering a host to attack me, so I immediately started a plot to have him killed. The plot sat at 150% power for the next two years without the event chain firing, and before long 30,000 hostile troops magically appeared right on top of my capitol. Like I already said, my personal levies, vassal levies, and retinues totaled around 5,000.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PBJ posted:

"the Maid"

She sure cleans up enemy armies.

I'm pretty sure that that level of martial skill means that she can defeat an entire army by glancing in its general direction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So hey, here's some photographic evidence of "adventurer hosts are horribly broken": the adventurer here gets about 30k troops. With all my personal and vassal levies and my 7000 retinue troops (Ethiopian skirmishers, which is the only reason I have so many), I barely have over half their numbers. If I went all out and hired all the mercenaries and holy order troops available to me, they'd still outnumber me.

Here's my save from right before the invasion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T0HrwDQAQLVkFvSFR6X2FJMVE/edit?usp=sharing

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeron posted:

It's based on max potential numbers isn't it? Do all your vassals love the poo poo out of you -and- aren't constrained by your levy laws? Just because you can't use the men yourself, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Yeah, no poo poo. How is that supposed to help me though? Even if I magically made all my vassals have 100 opinion of me, they would still outnumber me.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Looks to me like he's split 10k off his stack. Hire the Holy Order, raise your levies, and pummel the split stack?

Except then he just re-merges the stack before I get anywhere close to him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Also does anyone have any tips for starting as a Jew like start location and tactics?

Start as the King of Khazaria in 867, and use your event troops and mercenaries hired with your massive starting funds to shiv the biggest, meanest motherfucker on the block - the Cumans. From there you can more or less holy war your way to being the emperor of Tataria.

For me, the biggest challenge as the Khazars is that you'll have low MA for a very long time, so you'll basically never be able to convert your conquered provinces, and you'll have to deal with a fuckton of rebellions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

That is exactly why I play Zoroastrian so I can blitzkrieg a holy war across a continent and consolidate a massive power base in a few years. Screw truce breaker penalty, the other religions hate you anyway.

If it's difficult then I'm in, I love the difficult starts because I just find it boring if I'm not having to wring every troop and piece of gold from the province to survive the neighbours. The only other starting Jew is the one in Abyssinia isn't it?

Yeah, and he's by far the more difficult of the two. You start as a two-province duke surrounded on all sides by Copts that hate your rear end, and even if you manage to get past them, you then have to deal with the Muslims.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Invasion CB, just like what William of Normandy has in the 1066 start.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Adventurers and their absurd armies are the #1 one reason I haven't played this game in months, and I was kind of looking forward to this expansion. It's a shame that hasn't been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeron posted:

A fringe problem that will only affect some games possibly and that is fairly easy to overcome through several methods is enough to stop you from playing? For gods sake if it bothers you that much just use the drat console, adventurers aren't common at all.

It happened to me often enough that the game stopped being fun. Here's what I'm talking about :

Fister Roboto posted:

So hey, here's some photographic evidence of "adventurer hosts are horribly broken": the adventurer here gets about 30k troops. With all my personal and vassal levies and my 7000 retinue troops (Ethiopian skirmishers, which is the only reason I have so many), I barely have over half their numbers. If I went all out and hired all the mercenaries and holy order troops available to me, they'd still outnumber me.

Here's my save from right before the invasion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T0HrwDQAQLVkFvSFR6X2FJMVE/edit?usp=sharing

• Locked thread