Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Averrences
May 3, 2008
Just had a good few centuries run through from the start date, and my god - the Norse viking aspect of it makes for some wonderful stories.

At the start, my one county Norseman Gunnar I in Iceland raided the coasts of Ireland whilst the Great Heathen Army was distracting most of the British Isles, he made a good fortune out of it and managed to hire a merc company to help take the other half of Iceland. After that he continued raiding for pretty much the rest of his life, amassing a good amount of gold to spend on province improvements back home.

When his son - Isleifur - inherits the two counties of Iceland, he immediately resumes raiding the Irish coasts - but then he has a brilliant idea, what if he just takes those counties instead? So, as a result over the next 40 years or so he devotes himself to securing the southern half of Ireland.

Unfortunately, when Isleifur passes away, the Gavelkind laws split Isleifur's mini empire into three pieces - one half of southern Ireland to Yngvar, the other half to Tyrgg, and the whole of Iceland to the primary heir, Gunnar II. Immediately both brothers conspire behind the scenes and produce two revolts at once - Tyrgg wants just independence for his southern half of Iceland, whereas Yngvar wants the crown of Iceland for himself. Gunnar II was pretty pragmatic over the whole situation and first accepted Tyrgg's independence - recognizing that he had no capacity to fight both brothers at once - and declared war on Yngvar. However, before Gunnar could get any vikings over to Southern Ireland, the newly independent Tyrgg invaded Yngvar's half of Ireland and conquered it. Yngvar was placed in jail, and was immediately sacrificed to Odin. Yngvar's family then fled to Iceland, where Gunnar II promised to bring all of his children up as if they were his own.

Long story short, Gunnar II decided to keep raiding for the rest of his life, while Tyrgg unified the rest of Ireland under his own banner. In years to come, the two branches of the 'Pvari' dynasty established themselves equally in two distinct lines on both Ireland and Iceland. Many years later, Gunnar's grandson led a successful prepared invasion of England and took it over - granting Iceland to his Nephew in the process. The Pvari were now mostly in control of the British Isles, with the descendants of Ragnar Lodbrok ruling Scotland in the North, while the cadet branch of the Pvari were still going strong in Ireland.

Now I get to see how long the old Norse faith survives in Britain, seeing as its mostly been extinguished in Scandinavia - I feel it's gonna be a tough ride. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Speaking of SoA events - I have found one of the most fun things to do in this game now. Start anywhere, wait for the demonspawn child event to get into full swing, once he's grown up and the ruler of your kingdom, use the 'Immortality Revised' mod to make him immortal to aging and weapons...

:unsmigghh:

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Unless you're England. Then use the Longbowman Retinue by itself so you can use the volley battle tactic. Watch your retinue Heinz Guderian pretty much any force you come up against.

Does the Volley tactic work with Welsh culture as well? And does it have to be just longbowmen for the tactic to fire or can it work when mixed with pikemen too?

I vaguely remember this being discussed a while back, but forgot the details, so have been rolling with a mixed archer/pikemen retinue for my Kingdom of Cymru game (:black101:) but it doesn't seem nearly as good as I'd hoped it'd be unfortunately, so I have the distinct feeling that I've hosed up somewhere.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Wow.

I'm not quite sure what to say. I'm equally excited and a bit troubled by this announcement - if it works well then it will be loving amazing.
But blimey, huge issues crop up in my mind for me:

-300 new provinces is going to be a huge drag on people with PCs that can't handle mods like the Elder Kings/GOT

-Is a random Norse ruler in the Old Gods start date going to be able to undertake a prepared invasion of a random Indian state? (would only happen if rivers link up though)

-What about random host fleets? can a random Western courtier end up in control of an Indian kingdom?

-Chance for random Indian people to end up in European courts and vica versa

But ohmygod if it works as a contiguous map that's clearly separated at the same time, that would be incredible. Eagerly awaiting to ruler design an Indian count in Britain to introduce Curry 1,100 years ahead of schedule :getin:

EDIT: Oh wow - just had a thought, how are hordes going to be handled now? :psyduck:

Averrences fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 23, 2014

Averrences
May 3, 2008
After reading up on this - I'm definitely aiming to try a few of the Hindu rulers out. But I actually wonder whether Paradox will cover the more controversial aspects of Indian cultural life - I'm not talking about random events, but rather things that definitely happened that will most likely have an effect on gameplay.

Like, for example - Sati: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sati_%28practice%29

If a nobleman dies, will the wife go too in a Sati event? This would only really happen in the Hindu areas, as the Delhi sultanate and later Mughal State would end up cracking down on this, but it would be quite overt if Paradox don't cover this - especially as it has an effect on gameplay. I also really hope they don't stereotypically place Buddhists into a weird 'pacifist' camp as they definitely were just as bloody as any other religious group during this period. http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

Averrences
May 3, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, the EU4 export of Jain Empire of India was a total disappointment:
1) Generic national ideas
2) Jain religion didn't seem handled at all --- the result had
the catholic cross for icon and only + tolerance of true faith and nothing else
for effect.

Bear in mind they likely haven't updated the CkII - EU4 converter yet, exactly the same thing happened with the SoA release, where Judaism had Christian symbols etc.

I imagine, along with the hotfix it should be out in the next few weeks.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Yeah the portrait gfx are still incredibly hosed up - It'll definately be dealt with in the next patch (whenever that is) because now there's like a 40% chance that your ruler will end being The Serene Pinocchio of Venice

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Did the patch break Ruler Designer? No matter what changes I make to appearance once the game starts those changes disappear.

Where did this happen? Ruler Designer is still working perfectly fine for me for most of the world, but I've noticed with a few Indian rulers it just straight up doesn't let you make any changes.

I tried to make a Turkish ruler of Sri Lanka, but it completely reverted me back to the original Indian dynasty. I replicated it three times so maybe it's a problem just in India?

Averrences
May 3, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I've made several posts in the past agitating for a Persian portrait pack, so now that it's here I feel like I've got to say: this might just unseat the Turks as my favorite set of portraits (man, whoever does those packs has been on point lately). Like the Turks originally, I think maybe the skin tone could use some tweaking, since every Persian person I know has more of a golden color, but then again I only know like 5 or 6 Persians so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, it looks drat good. New units look good, too especially the light infantry.

Ok several people have mentioned this, but... what the hell? Persian portrait packs? I've scoured the DLCs and I can't find it anywhere, is there really a pack out?

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Yep, a Persian portrait pack and a unit one. They're not in the DLC list on Steam yet for some reason, but the search function brings them up.

Ah, brilliant - thought that was weird. thanks!

Now I'm gonna add my voice to the chorus of saying how amazing they look :stare:

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Leb posted:

So wait, is the CKII announcement over? What the hell did we actually get?

pretty much nothing other than another 200 years for nothing to happen - and longer saving times.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

Rincewind posted:

Anybody feel like actually summarizing what was announced, or is everyone too busy trying to be the first to post about how uninterested they are?

Nobodies joking - the Ckii announcement was literally

-100 extra years
-CHARLEMAGNE
-customisable kingdoms (with no explanation how this works)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Crusader Kings 2: He's got that Khan-do attitude

Crusader Kings 2: If Genghis Khan, so Khan we!

..I'm sorry :(

• Locked thread