Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Captain Trips posted:

This is a game set in one of the most violent periods of conquest in human history. And you're telling me the point of the game isn't to expand your empire as much as possible?

He's saying that AI blobbing is silly because you'll just have the HRE conquer all its neighbours every single game with little chance of variation. Seeing as this is a Paradox game, the crazy poo poo that can go on is half of the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

NewtGoongrich posted:

The HRE blobbing and conquering it's neighbours is pretty accurate to the TOG start date actually.

And Aztecs didn't invade Europe, what's your point?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Necroneocon posted:

I am 35 pages behind this thread but after 20 pages of goon sperginess about "pretty borders" I was hoping that Wiz hasn't done his last CK2 plus because I want him to add something that makes every county a random color because pretty border colors are the dumbest thing to complain or freak out about. It's not ADD, it's just really dumb and the gooniest thing possible.

So please Wiz, can you do that if you haven't made the last CK2 plus, thank you I will love you forever. That or make all county colors black. :sparkles:

Please, Wiz. Please.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

wolfman101 posted:

So, I had a courtier with a claim on a duchy and married her to one of my sons. I successfully pressed her claim in a war a year later, but my stupid son won't leave my court to go be with his wife and get to making babies. Am I screwed or will couples still make babies despite being in separate courts?

Yeah, you should be fine.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, huh. I wonder if you can make retinues that become available based on other criteria than culture? The way the culture requirements are implemented is just a "culture = whatever" line right in the middle of the retinue definition - I'm not sure if you can stick other stuff in there, like traits or character flags, but if you can, that does potentially open up some interesting possibilities.

How about religion? Just have the event switch your religion to Chaos/Demonism/Satanism/whatever and then give the option to recruit the retinue?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Captain Beans posted:

I do not have Old Gods dlc(I know, I know) and I'm thinking of downgrading my CK version to play CK+ without issues.

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch? The new technology system is all that comes to mind.

There's a beta CK2+ that works with Old Gods here.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure it works with the latest patch (but not the beta on Steam)

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not finding it to be much of a big deal, actually. I just keep one single duchy title, and one county, and get all my wealth through raiding, and declare war using the subjugate CB, rather than the "De Jure Claims".

EDIT: Remember that shoddy, "Introduction to C++ Computer Programming"-level piece of code that I wrote known as the CK2 Character generator? Well, I just updated it to be not as shoddy! Yay!

New in this version -- you can choose whether or not to generate characters all of one dynasty, or out of a random selection of dynasties. This should make it a bit easier to make families, though I haven't figured out a way to randomly generate parents and children yet.
Sweeeeeet. Thanks for this, I'll downlaad it when I have the chance. :)

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

CapnAndy posted:

Can someone run me through real quick how you subvert a kingdom by marrying in? The AI's too smart to marry its heirs matrilineally and even lesser princes disdain random-rear end courtiers. So assuming I have a spare princess of my own and some third son to marry her to, what do I do with them to gain the kingdom without going to war?

Invite someone with a strong claim to the kingdom, or a younger son of the current king, to your court. Once he's there, he won't be able to refuse your marriage proposals, so then you marry him matrilineally to your daughter. If he's in line for succession Say he's the third son) just :ese: his elder brothers 'til he's the heir. If he's not, go to war for his claim. When he and your princess have a kid, it'll be of your dynasty. Note that unless that princess is your heir, you won't actually gain the kingdom itself, you'll simply be putting a family member on the throne.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
^^^Wouldn't the kid get a weak claim though?

CapnAndy posted:

Although I suppose a child of my dynasty with my culture would have decent odds of accepting vassalization.

Depends. I'm pretty sure kingdoms will never allow themselves to be vassalized.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Dirty_Moses posted:

Does anyone know a mod that's more of a middle ground between CK2+ and vanilla? I loved my first game of CK2+ because it required a lot more finesse and care, and the map never got mauled by everyone's simultaneous rampages. That said, I want to feel like a viking when I play as one, and be able to conquer quite a bit, albeit to a lesser extent than vanilla. :negative:

Yeah, I'd love to just have the faction system from CK2+, all the Empire Titles, and maybe a few other odds and ends like planning events and repaying loans.

e: There's a ton of waiting around doing nothing in vanilla, and I feel that CK2+ just increases that by a lot. And at the end of the day, waiting around when you're playing a game isn't very fun.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Captain Beans posted:

What benefits(if any) exist from helping my liege in a war?

Obviously I indirectly help him because he calls up my levies in his armies, but I mean if I were to then call on my own vassals and march off with my own army helping to beat up dudes.

Being part of the HRE I've been involved a lengthy list of wars started by my duke or the HRE emperor and I've been calling up my dudes to go help thinking it might score me some brownie points. But as time wears on I feel like I don't see any benefit from assisting, plus I didn't start the war, so I'm starting to just watch from the sidelines.

It can help, depending on who you are. If you and your liege are being crusaded upon or invaded, it's usually a good idea to help out because at the very least, your new liege is going to be of a different culture, and probably a different religion.

On the other hand, wars to grab some county aren't really worth it, unless he's pressing your claim.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Sorry if this has come up a bazillion times already, but I haven't been able to keep up with the thread recently: Is there a version of that GoT April Fools mod updated for the recent patch? I doubt there is, but it would be nice.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
A buddy of mine played this game for the first time a week or so ago, and man, I haven't had so much fun as I have in multiplayer. We both went Norse and made our own guys, and of course he made his guy a lunatic. I told him we're probably gonna have to start from scratch because obviously he's gonna rage quit.

I get deposed a year later for accidentally backstabbing the brothers invading Britain (my score was -108), meanwhile Grimnir Demonblood (yes) fights Cthulhu (and survives), makes a really dumb runestone (that everyone loved) and created the Kingdom of Sweden (that I was shortly vassalised into). He died in battle, as a viking berzerker, at the ripe old age of 80 and ended with like 8k points.

It was pretty great!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Torrannor posted:

I find this very revealing. Free duchy-revokations only pop up in connection to the Byzantine or Roman Empire, and it makes me wonder how many people in this thread have played Sword of Islam. All Muslim kings or emperors can revoke duchies for free by default!

Seriously, is decadence that much of a turn-off? You need to keep your dynasty rather small, but other than that it is not that hard to manage. And you have a ton of events and mechanics exclusive to Muslims that are quite fun. If decadence really bothers you too much you can mod it out.

I played Muslims a couple times, but I much more prefer the intrigue and diplomacy style of play, more than constant war. :shobon:

Oh, also I love to have a massive family tree that ends up with my character somehow related to everyone in the world.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Each boat can hold a hundred soldiers.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Anyone know why I'm getting a runtime error whenever the game tries to save? I haven't played since before the new DLC came out, but it used to work fine. I've tried reinstalling, but I'm not sure what else I can try.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Golden Horde declared war on me, but I managed to get thar the fastest with mostest and crushed the forward party of 12,000 and then the main force of 35,762 and then the feeling remnants who linked up with the regard of 4,000. After a final fourth battle to mop up the survivors, 51,762 Mongols were dead along with at least 42,000 Romans of the 75,000 who participated in the campaign.

I then conquered Mosul from the decaying Uqaylids and was rewarded for these two feats of arms with a massive result. Much of it going back to the first ruler, as I had not played a game since before Charglemagne and handed out quite a few duchies before I figured out Viceroyalties. I cleaned that up a bit in the first rebellion and fixed most of the rest in this one.

The Empire reunited and at peace at last.

The current dilemma, my first son by my first wife is awesome. My third son by my second wife is born in the purple and has the potential to be even more awesome. I'm in my early fifties. Should I designate George my heir, or roll the dice with Leonidas?

Stick with George, but if you're still alive when Leonidas comes of age you can designate him as your heir. Alternatively, if you wanna be a dick to your adequate, but still sorta disappointing son, you can make him your designated regent and watch everything crumble around you.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
It takes me about 5 seconds for each day on max speed, so I'm sort of just rolling my eyes at the people complaining about 'slowdown'. It's almost as bad as people complaining about how the single loading screen takes like 30 seconds which is practically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Crusader Kings II: The Wrath of Khan

• Locked thread