Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, Ivar is a nice start to introduce the new Viking stuff. I started as him, and the doomstack you start with allowed me to easily take over Northumberland and East Anglia. From there I kicked the king of Scotland around until I upsurped his title, then kicked him round some more. Inbetween I went to raids of the med, and Muslim Spain is nice raiding target, aslong as you amke sure no troops reach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Raiding, once you have about 1000 men, is a really easy way to make cash. Sail into the med, steal unprotected loot, and run to the ships before a army arrives. Province loot regenerates so fast by the time to drop one lot of loot back home all the provinces you looted recover.

Also, western Europe is a mess. All the rulers being related means that everyone has claims on each others kingdoms and is calling the whole of western europe to war every time there is a minor dispute.

Finally, rebel ping-pong is back. Booooo.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 28, 2013

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

And I just had the AI reform Tengrism in 919, by Hungary and Norse is only 1 easy war away from being reformed by the AI. Pagans early-game are really powerful.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bottom right, below minimap.

Also, Paradox stop importing EU3 problems into CK2! First rebel ping-pong and now this

This time its Tengri Hungary though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Rebels don't really pingpong, they are mini-wars. You get warscore against them every battle even if you don't kill them all outright, and you always have the chance of capturing their leader.

HUN is the perfect opposite of EUIII though, here steppe nomads pour out and settle Hungary instead of the other way around! The eastern 'tail' tends to drop off as they settle down in the west.

Yes, they are mini-wars, but the armies still ping-pong. Since they have no morale and run quickly, you don't kill many of them, leading to the battle only giving a small increase in warscore after the first time you beat them. Even if you can capture the leader while doing this, it is still a pain and the old rebellion mechanic was working fine I thought.

The HUN thing was just something amusing I'd though I'd share, they formed the kingdom of Hungary early in the 870s and then went west again instead of continuing east. They reformed in 919, which was much earlier than I expected.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pakled posted:

"The Liberator" is the title that peasant rebel leaders get when they successfully revolt. So to make the story even better, this guy was probably just a minor noble or merchant who just happened to really excel at every aspect of leadership. That's rad as hell.

In my Ivar the boneless game, the count of dublin single-handedly took Ireland one provinces at a time due to pagan CBs. When I got voted out of the kingdom of scotland, the new king had to deal with a liberation revolt in Ireland and failed badly. Cue united Ireland in 956. Whats worse was they were Catholic and kept holy warring Scotland until I took my kingdom,back and took Ulster from them to cripple them. So now i have a modern border Ireland 1000 years early.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Not as a Norse ruler in Britain. I had two possible mercenary companies, and both were usually hired by someone else. I pored the money into holdings instead.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As long as you dont go further than Roberts rebellion, you wont get any spoilers but background stuff. The Clash of Kings scenario might have spoilers for beyond ACoK, but I cant remember. Everything after that is spoiler central.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

KARLINGS :argh:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I discovered the best way to deal with the Karlings in my recent Brittany game: I successfully got a faction to change the West Francia succession law to elective, which resulted in some bizarre chain reaction after a Karling holding Italy, West and East Francia, Lotheringia, and possibly Bohemia, died. I think it ended up changing all those kingdoms to elective somehow, and then each of them besides Italy were inherited by minor Dukes, leaving the Karlings practically landless. Lotheringia then ended up being ruled by Anglo-Saxons, after I kicked them all out of England.

Thankfully it was a catholic who inherited the throne, and this was CK2+ so he title-changed to Latin emperor and then every vassal of the Byzantine empire apart from the Italian ones declared a independence revolt, which they swiftly one. Oddly the ducess of Thrace recrowned herself as empress of the Byzantine empire, but only some Hungarian dukes swore fealty to her. Then the Karling who conquered the empire in the first place died, and the latin empire dissolved on his death, leaving Lombardy slightly larger with the southern italian dukes, and the Byzantine empire completely collapsed. Currently playing as the rump-emperor, tring to rebuild the empire.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Is there some kind of Aztec convertion event, or did the AI get really lucky with a priest on pagan conversion duty?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Even as a 20 diplo designed ruler, virtually the first thing that happens in a 1066 Hungary start is eventually someone will rebel and pretty much every other vassal will also rebel. Killing the heads of these rebellions just causes more people to spring up. Using charinfo I've gone as far as wiping out almost every dynasty within Hungary and more rebels will just start popping in their place.

EDIT:

It'd be fine if all the other vassals didn't cascade into revolt immediately after the first ones declare.

Oh, come on. You actually screw yourself over by ruler designer, the stock character starts with an alliance with the HRE. Sure, you have 3 dukes who are also title claimants but it just means you have to keep good relations with them. Loosing the kingship isn't the end of the world, you can always win it back. Stop whining and roll with it.

EDIT:

My Hungary game. No mods, no ruler designer, just started as the king of Hungary. You'll notice that I'm in a civil war (two in fact). You'll also notice I'm winning both of them rather handily. Your starting demease gives you quite alot of troops, and if you crush the other armies before they have time to join you'll win. I was in a third war aswell, with the duke of Transylvania, but he surrendered after I killed all his men. This is all discounting the fact a HRE doomstack is about to arrive and help me mop up. In short, stop whining and learn to play.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 4, 2013

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Well poo poo, my sisters been ferreting away on the family tree on ancestry.com and it turns out that way back in it, it includes the Plantagnets, from Antigone Plantagenet all the way back through that set of Kings of England, to William of Normandy, and back from his dad Rollo (Hrolf) Ragnvaldsson, to possibly some chap called Frosti Karasson, King in Kvenland, born in AD 210, but I'd end it with more certainity at Ivar, Jarl of the Uplands b.770.

Obviously its all tenuous as hell, through mothers and fathers, and a legitimised bastard or two, certainly not a direct line, and not checked by a genealogist, but its pretty cool having a load of royals in it there, and then a bunch of wild Norsemen!

I'd better start up a new game now, see if I can find one of them at a 867 start date, and then make an empire they would be proud of!

My nan did this for our family and I've got a line to Willem the Conqueror, if you go back far enough most of europe is descented from royalty somewhere if you dont come from a backwater village that has only been touched in the last 100 years. Still cool thought.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ooh, that's a good one.

I've got tons of half cooked games that I start and play for 100 years, form the empire or whatever my initial goal was, get bored and then move on to the next one. I'm just gonna take a few of my favourites through observer mode and see how it turns out. Starting relatively late sounds like a good way to avoid that problem if you don't want to just take the save from any old start date.

Yea, I started a game from the 1337 start date as the Italian duke of Athens under the Kingdom of Aragon. I've finished it now, as Queen or Trinacria and Greece and it looks like a game ripe for conversion. A Mega-Islamic empire starting to crumble under revolt and Timurid invasion, a collapsed france that has been absorbed by the HRE, an Islamic Russia, and the Catholic Anglo-Nahua Aztec empire, with its british terrtories under the rule of the locals and the Spanish ones under the direct control of Nahua Catholics.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I have to say, CK2+ seems to also make pagan kingdoms much more stable. In my observer game, in 1200 the kingdoms of Poland, Lithuania, Denmark, Kiev, Volga, and Wallachia had all formed, Poland and Kiev being Slavic, Denmark Norse, Lithuania and Volga Suomenusko, and Wallachia Tengri. With the exceptino of Denmark (which was more the entire of scandinavia minus finland) each of these kingdoms stuck to their de jure territory. Whats more, each of the pagan kingdoms had the same dynasty on the throne in 1200 from when the kingdom was first founded, between 950-1050 for all of them. Denmark in the past had 2 kings of a different dynasty, but they were overthrown by a member of the original dynasty before they died and the rule had reverted back to the founding dynasty. There were no non-founder rulers for the other 5 kingdoms. Whats more apart from wars over Finland, their territory barely changed over the 250 year period. While Western europe was a patchwork of petty kings and dukes trying to rebuild the Karling kingdoms, Eastern europe and Russia was a stable bastion of safety and security. I console-reformed all the faiths, because they were stable enough and centralized enough it made sense regardless of moral authority or holy site ownership.

Then the mongols came along and crushed them all save Poland and Denmark, and then starting the process of converting Russia to Tengri. MONGOLS!!!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well this should be an interesting king...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alectai posted:

How the hell did that happen?

Bad luck, I think. The current king who tutored him is 21/2/5/8/14, so not much better, but above 0 at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In my Byzantine duke-to-emperor game, there is a strong Cathar Pisa which owns most of central and southern Italy and bits of Spain, and Russia/Denmark has gone full Iconoclast instead of standard orthodox. Does anyone know of any mods to the converter that allows the heresies to carry over, to make EU4 more interesting?

• Locked thread