Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

crm posted:

You can't un-gavelkind the Pagans?

Not if you are unreformed. I would bet good, and large amounts, of money that this is the first thing changed in the mods scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This is what I thought Viking would be like, just beat the combined doomstack of most of Sweden with the crippled remnants of my Norwegian force through the fact that they attacked me across a river. I have about 6 sons and am now gunning for the holy sites as fast as possible so that I can really begin making gains here.

I am impressed by how utterly and completely brutal the vikings are. They are just decimating all before them and it'd be more impressive if it wasn't so terrifying.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I thought you got to keep runestones even if you reformed, at least that is what someone posted earlier in the thread.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

I seem to suck more than most at playing vikings. Every time I try to reunify denmark, I would kill his armies, but all of a suddenly, a 2000 man army shows up out of nowhere and brutally murders mine. While I faff about not doing much, King Sweden is uniting sweden. Should I use mercenaries more often?

Yes, and the petty chief of Denmark usually has a few holdings across the water in Britain.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Is going above medium crown authority really worth it? Let's assume that my position on vassals going to war with dudes who aren't under my control is "aww, how precious, good luck" and I don't have issues with any titles passing out of my vassalage so I don't need to prevent that.

You are vastly underestimating how much people want pretty borders.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

Should I marry my characters 15 year younger niece in order to inherit most of England? :ohdear:

No, marry her to your second or third son, then once she has spawned the abomination kill his parents and assume regency. After that murder the child and place yourself at the head of the realm.

Then laugh and start hoping nobody notices you murdered your own son.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Leb posted:

This is what has me wondering about whether or not I'm actually going to enjoy EU4...

I know, I want to take my Byzantine Roman Empire across the world properly but if there are no longer really "people" to fight I am worried it'll just get dull. Going beyond that is impossible because I'd sooner put my gonads in a thresher than play the spreadsheet simulator that is Victoria.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

What depth is there to the norse ones? Other than Blots and the... well I can't remember how it is spelt but "norse caliphate" thing.

I'd just like more events in general, anything that makes the game more like King of Dragon pass is a good thing in my book, because peace time tends to be boring and if you pick your fights well the game is way too easy.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Allyn posted:

Reformation and raiding, on top of being one of two religions for which you can play as the religious head, yeah

Also concubines, and viking/berserker traits & associated storylines

I keep forgetting about raiding, and I thought concubinage was already in the game prior to OG?

I dunno, I just wanted a couple of cool "build buildings" events, not every king is going to want to be constantly at war, but he can still show off by making a gigantic temple and/or fortress. I mean look at Westminster abbey or the Palace of Westminster, all of them designed to create both fear and awe in the medieval mind, but you don't get to play that game. The addition of saints (or close equivalent for other religions) would be kind of cool, getting a sacred member of your own family always seemed like a good way of boosting prestige.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Holy poo poo.

I really want to see this play out for someone else in my norse run, because I want to be that one viking king that has to stop evil from getting full control over the world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

Who told you the title of my next rap album?

Is this the follow up to "straight outta Atzlan"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so I am in around about 1100 and I have just about conquered everywhere in Europe. Norse is now larger than the top 5 other religions combined, the pope is an old man wandering around the remnants of the imperial city, Catholicism is (at best) a heresy.

And I am so bored. I mean I am playing as the Norse and now all it is is just painting the rest of the map blue, my vassals are either unwilling or unable to depose me so all I am doing is waiting for the Mongolian invasion and the Aztec's to show up.

What else should I do, do you think? Wait a little while longer and then convert it into EU4?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

See I don't know if I want to do that as I kind of wanted to take my empire into EU4, but if it is this easy I am kind of reticent to do that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

What, you don't want to turn the whole world blue with Scandinavia? Don't just go for Europe -- go for true world conquest!

Not really, I just kind of wanted it to play out a bit more like a LP with problems and not getting too huge and so on, just keeping (say) all of Scandewegia and England and then going into EU4 was the plan. But then some of my vassals start expanding into Italy and France and you have to play catch up to stop them grabbing all the good land.

And then before you know it you have 100k of retinues and are witnessing Catholicism having less moral authority than some of its own heresies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Seoinin posted:

On that note, what should I be looking for if I wanted to dig down into the guts of combat? Sheer numbers worked until my enemies started fielding big piles of horse archers, and now I'm sort of clueless how one goes about countering them when an army I outnumber by almost 2-1 can still whip my rear end by dint of being largely HAs.

Welcome to the problem of all medieval kings when facing mongols.

I think you have to wait for them to get off their horses to win I am afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I really hope they keep heading East, and eventually we see all of the old world and can have it where the Tang dynasty spreads across the entirety of the steppe until it faces off against the revived Buddhist-Greco-Roman empire and its vassals in the Hindu Kush.

My alternative history self is on a fainting couch being fanned with palm fronds at this news.

• Locked thread