Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What am I looking at here? More importantly, how do I sacrifice people to what's-his-face-owicz?

And another question: is there any incentive to taking concubines other than flavor?

I'm having a blast with this DLC. I started as the Sorbs and, without even really trying for it, had become King of Pomerania 20 years in. That first inheritance is going to be really messy, though, and three of the Slavic holy sites are way over in the east, so we'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Alikchi posted:

The new technology system is so far superior to the old one it's unbelievable.

Seriously. At first I was lukewarm towards it, but then I got one of those "philosopher found" events. Before this patch I would say yes if I had money to spare and no if not. I didn't even really care what the money was invested in, and certainly didn't look at the tech screen to check whether it made a difference. Now you get a pretty huge pile of research points you can then invest at your leisure. I've actually found myself considering which bonus to get right now a couple of times already.

Also, in case anyone here is a sperglord min-maxer like me and keeps periodically checking the tech screen: you get a notification once you've accumulated enough points to invest in any tech of your choosing. So unless you're waiting for a specific, comparatively cheap tech advance, you can just ignore it altogether (basically like before, except you don't have to worry about inheritances changing your foci).

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

From playing in MP it seems like the old gods isnt very well balanced. The norse seems to get a poo poo ton of troops but all the other pagans get dick all. So all the Norse countries have well over 1000 troops and playing as a slavic pagan all I get is around 300 troops, not even enough to siege provinces.

The beginning is a little rough, yes. I started with two counties in my demesne and one vassal county, and even when I was fighting only plucky little OPMs around me I would usually have to get mercenaries to actually lay siege after beating their army in the field. But it gets a lot more reasonable pretty quickly. I'd say it was about the first 2 or 3 wars that went like that, and there were starts like that in the 1066 start pre-patch/DLC, too, so I didn't mind it too much. This is not to say TOG is balanced. I'd be shocked if a Paradox game/patch/DLC was balanced right out the gate.

1stGear posted:

I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to play a Catholic ruler in a Viking nation's sphere of interest because the Vikings are built to kick the poo poo out of everyone from day one.

I'm not playing as a Catholic ruler (Sorbs -> Kingdom of Pomerania), but the one run-in with Vikings I've had was a little underwhelming, honestly. I got a warning that some Norse adventurer was eyeing my lands, then the king of Sweden declared war trying to subjugate me (i.e. take my kingdom title and make me his vassal), and then the adventurer joined in on the pile. The adventurer was a complete pushover, and Sweden was more than happy to take a white peace after I beat the armies they sent and took exactly one Swedish holding. I'm still wary, though. I've got two navigable rivers in my kingdom now, so if the AI got its poo poo together they could just roll over me.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sheep posted:

Anyone else notice gavelkind being kind of broken now? Form Norway as the Jarl of Ostlandet and it keeps trying to give Akershus and Ostlandet to your second son, giving your primary heir only Norway and random_county_that_isn't_your_capital. Bit odd, that.

Yeah, that seems to be the way gavelkind works now for some reason. The game kept trying to give away my capital to 2nd+ sons. I somehow managed to finagle my way around that until I reformed the Slavic faith and switched to elective succession, but if that had come to pass and I'd gotten stuck with one technologically backwater county and a couple of pretender super-dukes, things would have been really messy.

Well, they are messy now anyway, because apparently East Francia, stretching all the way to Brittany, Bordeaux and the Balkans, has decided to stop sitting on its hands and to start loving with me. I don't think there's anything I can do to hold them off.

Another possible bug I've found: when you reform the Slavic faith, it tells you that now your vassals will get upset if you keep their levies raised too long. I had gotten that penalty already while unreformed, however. I'm not sure if the tooltip is wrong or if the penalty shouldn't apply.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sheep posted:

Non-your_religion dudes will get the raised levies penalty. I'm getting it from Catholic vassals as an unreformed Norse ruler.

I was getting it from everyone, including Slavic vassals. Just double-checked, and it definitely got applied, too, so it's not just a display bug in case it's not supposed to be there.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm trying to reform the Norse faith. Finally got three holy sites and plenty of piety, only to find that moral authority needs to be 50% minimum and it's currently at 30% and dropping fast. Is there any way to correct this or have I missed the boat?

You could do it like me: curse a lot and briefly consider fighting (in your case) 20 subjugation wars before your guy drops (taking a cool 200 years if you don't have the "become king" ambition), then say "gently caress it" and edit your savegame so you have 50% authority. v:shobon:v But yeah, if you don't want to cheat you need to ramp up the conquering.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

occipitallobe posted:

It's really hard to convert those goddamn pagans. I was playing as the Byzantines, and decided to convert the Rus to glorious Orthodoxy. They imprisoned my guy, (after which you can't send another, possibly in your lifetime), so I sent another priest on.

Bam, imprisoned.

I ended up reconquering the Levant and Egypt, and giving it all to the priesthood, whom I taxed and levied outrageously.

Why, you might ask?

Every time one of those literate fucks got a tiny bit out of line, I immediately made them my personal priest, and gave them the great honor of going to convert the heathens in Norway. Or Finland, or Russia, or England, wherever, really. Out of the sixty-two priests I sacrificed to the Old Gods, one was not immediately imprisoned and was allowed to preach.

He quickly converted one of the King of Denmark's second cousins to Orthodoxy, and was imprisoned for his troubles.

See, here I was wondering why those silly enemy-lovers kept sending priests to my lands, providing me a neat secondary income and keeping my dungeons from getting moldy, but I hadn't considered it being a punishment. Maybe I'll go easier on the next chump (spoiler alert: I won't. Praise be to Svantevit.)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bogdamn, has the AI always been so opportunistic? Peasant revolt? Here's 40k East Francian troops being dicks in the name of the Lord. Helping my Polish buddies/quasi-vassals in a defensive war? The loving Rus' declare war. I mean, in a way I'm glad because I only took the county they want to reform the faith and it's seriously messing with my pretty borders. I guess this is one way of getting rid of it, but still. Being an opportunistic jerk is my strategy.

Oh wait, I don't need to keep the holy sites after reforming the faith, do I? That would suck.

edit: You don't. It's only fair really, otherwise the Christians would be kind of hosed at later dates.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2013

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

No...why would that suck, though? You're not keeping them in your personal demesne, are you? They just have to be somewhere in your realm in order to reform the faith. And as long as someone of your faith holds them, you get the bonus to moral authority.

No, I'm not holding them personally (well, the county that one of them is in, actually). I just briefly feared that as soon as I went below 3/5 the game would shove me back into gavelkind and all that other unreformed crap. But that would be really unfair to pagans, and you don't need to be above 750 piety or 50% moral authority all the time after reforming, either, so really that was a bit of a brainfart on my end.

The Russian king is Suomenusko, for some reason, but I just took the rest of Finland, so I guess it all evens out.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 29, 2013

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

How exactly would I do this? No matter what I do I can't seem to conquer faster than I lose authority, because other norse guys are currently having their asses handed to them by catholic England.

Open the savegame you want to modify in a text editor (the savegame is in My Documents, and using Notepad++ is advisable for Paradox savegame editing/modding). The religions are towards the end of the save file. If you do a search for "norse_pagan=", there should only be one hit and that's the block you want to modify. It should look like this:

code:
	norse_pagan=
	{
		parent="noreligion"
		reformed="norse_pagan_reformed"
		authority=
		{
			modifier="lost_holy_war"
			date="977.6.29"
		}
		authority=
		{
			modifier="looted_infidel_temple"
			date="967.5.27"
		}
 [and so on...]
	}
It doesn't tell you what % authority is at, so take note of what it is in-game. What I did then was to simply repeat this modifier, from a war I had actually won, 11 times (I was 11 points short and it's worth one point each):

code:
		authority=
		{
			modifier="won_county_conquest"
			date="975.3.29"
		}
I used the same date for all 11 wars that I "won". The game doesn't seem to care. Although you might want to take care that you follow the chronological order of newer events towards the top - I'm not sure if that makes a difference. When I loaded that save I had 50% authority. There might be better ways of doing this (e.g. using a modifier that gives you more than one point so you don't have to c&p as often), but if it works it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

A weird thing happened in a pre-patch game of mine: I was playing as a Norse double duke, owning 53% of Scotland, saving up money to create the kingdom, when all of a sudden the "Can create title" notification changed into the "Can usurp title" one. And sure enough, there was now some Christian gently caress parading a crown around to my south-west. What happened there? Surely he could only have owned at most 47% of Scotland? Did a watery tart throw a sword at him? (I am going to kill myself for making this reference.)

Actually, looking at the autosaves now, it seems to have gone straight from Sušreyjar to Scotland, which is even weirder.

• Locked thread