Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Am I able to buy the CK2 collection and split it, using the cosmetic dlc for me but gifting the base game +expansions?

Get the amazon version so you just get keys. It's also $5 cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do you get the ones in Francia and Lotharingia?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Is the gavelkind rework giving away all but one province no matter what for anyone else? I just ended up with a single province while my only brother got four.

I don;t think they reworked it, just made it so you can;t load your heir up with all your titles before oyu die.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Are great Holy Wars limited by realm size?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

iLurk posted:

Sadly yes. You need to have less then 40 holdings. Really annoyed me when I formed the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and I couldn't invade Germany.

Stiiink! I haven't been under 40 since ol' White Shirt carved out half of England and was hacked down in battle.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kayten posted:

Has anyone even had Ivar not live to at least 85? He's the best, almost always gets Berserker, and murders everyone.

After starting Jorvik and doing alright, watching AI Ivar just destroying all over the place I loaded up and tried him out. Died in battle twice in a row. I went back to White Shirt and after conquering most of England and Ireland he was cut down in a berserker rage at the rip old age of 69 and his already elderly son with 8 marshal took over the throne. He crushed 3 rebellions and 2 invasions from English Dukes, turned his army back to the Irish duke who killed his father and destroyed him, coming out the other side with the berserker trait and unyielding. All vassals are either in jail or in love due to crushed revolt bonus at this point. The Blot was amazing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pakled posted:

Yep, all pagan religions have stuff like that. Norse Paganism has an German temple 3 provinces inland and like 4-5 provinces away from the nearest Norse religion province as one of its holy sites.

It's one province inland.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I've had a character die whilst having the Berserker trait.

Ya, my White Shirt died getting cut down in a Berserker rage and when I tried Ivar, the same thing happened to him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaTard posted:

What you can't see in that screenshot is that the two Kings can call up just under 100k troops between the two of them, while I can just barely get 10k, and Sweden is about 17k. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking, but that was the first CtA I declined all game. No way in hell was I going to jeopardize my slowly expanding realm for his fool's errand.

That's not how to Viking.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Liberatore posted:

Are you saying he should take the fight, or that the King of Sweden should not? Either way, I agree.

The former.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Torabi posted:

So I've started to read that gigantic tutorial on http://lparchive.org/. This is going to take a while. Can't wait to smash some skulls as Vikings though. :black101:

You are going to gleen barely anything useful out of this. The base game itself has changed, but also Vikings are so much different than Christian Kings.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's the best way to go about spreading my religion outside of my borders, if possible? I've never formed an empire as a non Christian ruler and I wanna spread the word of Odin.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

I'm still having heaps of trouble converting the Old Norse in my demesnes.

Make sure there ruler is New Norse (or whatever religion you are) so he uses his own Chaplain to do the dirty work.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

So, question.

Im in Desmond Ireland, my heir is in Thomond (but not my vassal). We're both besieging Ormund, with King Brian ua Briain. For Casus Belli, I grabbed a courtier a while back and am pressing his claim. When Brian surrenders, the claimant gets the province. I don't mind that, particularly, but he's not my vassal. Is there a way to keep Ormund in my dynasty?

Press the claim of someone in your dynasty, or Ormond is a de jure part of your holdings already.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

How does one increase religious authority? I have 4 of the holy sites needed for reforming the pagan faith, and my authority is something like 45

Holy wars, beating up infidels.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

Cant do holy wars till I have reformed my faith.

Hmm, I forgot about that. Attacking infidels does the same thing. Are you viking? I haven't done any of the other pagans yet, but you get some unique cbs that mean you never have to stop warring.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there any way to force vassals to end a war between each other? I've got these 2 vassals going at it and they've been stuck on 15% war score for 20 loving years (I've been waiting for them to stop since forming Scandinavia so I can change succession laws). I just tried Assassinating moth of them, but their heirs just took up where they left off, and I tried forming Sweden and cranking the crown law and still nothing. My dude is gonna die of old age.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

Well, my guy dies in a couple weeks, and his son inherits. Can he push the de jure claim? (What button would I press? It's listed as a petty kingdom) Finally, would the new count be likely to accept being made a vassal, or do I need to invade again?

If you hold the duchy or kingdom that his county belongs to, you can ask him for fealty diplomatically. Otherwise you can declare war on him (it will be de jure CB). If the county isn't a de jure part of a duchy that you or one of your vassals owns, then you either to have a claim to it in order to declare war (fabricated or otherwise)...except it you're a viking then you just take whatever you want p much.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Elective is better than that anyway. I used it in one of my first games because my daughters kept inheriting the genius trait.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grem posted:

So, it's been forever since I've played games on my PC, but you guys got me wanting this game. Is there a way to test my system requirements?

Can you run it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Useless Shotgun posted:

My only son asked to join the Varangians, and I figured he would get some good fighting experience and such, plus he has a son so if things went wrong I would still have a male heir. But the worst has happened. Its not that he died, its much worse. He has turned Orthodox.

I feel so betrayed. I was going to hold a Blot just for you. :(

My heir had his eyes put out and his nuts chopped off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You have unlimited CBs against coastal counties as Norse. Beat the crap out of Christians. It's not rocket science.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Man, Zoroastrian is the masochist start. I hate to admit it, but I dunno how to go about getting into snowball position without restarting/save scumming. I ended up busting my way through the medium emirates, rotating them as I went, being careful to try and step into any Holy Wars that were smashing my mates. I wanted to assassinate the Caliph because on 2 occasions he almost ruined a holy war for me, but no one in the plot list had more than 10% plot chance, and they all love him. I'd say getting lucky with assassinations on him would be key. Assassinate everyone. Also my first kid to my half sister is loving inbred of course. Assassinate him too.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

How badass is the Varangian guard in this game? Worth the 300 gold and 300 prestige?

Yes. :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, it's basically like a super retinue of heavy infantry or what?

I tried to join a vassal's holy war and it said I was only allowed to do that for crusades or jihads. :saddowns: What's the difference! :colbert:

Are you Byzantine? I thought you meant as a 300 prestige/gold as a reward for sending your Viking son off to join them. Varangian is really cheap and a big bonus to your forces. Definitely worth it.

A crusade is like a special religion-wide war. Holy wars are on a smaller scale.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The varangians are a lot cheaper than 300 gold. Where did you get that figure from?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Old Gods rocks, but it's clear that a lot of the mechanics are broken. How long does it normally take for a patch to fix this stufF?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

How the hell are you supposed to take Finnish lands? Their garrison is bigger than the supply limit so I can't even siege.

Massive stack, assault that poo poo, and run.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Playing this game strictly without reloading no matter what retarded poo poo I accidentally do while trying to behave within my traits has been a fun reminder that I'm not as good as I think I am. Every empire I've ever made has been built on the foundation of 1000 reloads. :negative:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gonna make a Hellenic custom ruler and reform Rome, I think.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

So I had a decent Zoroastrian game after about two tries.

My newest strategy was to basically just immediately convert to sunni and trash Persia from within during my lifetime, all the while keeping my heirs groomed under zoroastrian tutors, so that when I finally bit the bucket as a huge mega-persia I could start converting. :black101:

It was actually pretty easy in the end, highly recommended for anyone having difficulty playing as zoroastrians.

That's clever, sacrificing your very soul to Angra Mainyu so that your descendants may always walk in the light.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Okay, so patch 1.10 seems to have made starting in Dublin a lot harder because some Welsh rear end in a top hat keeps rolling up with 150 galleys and a gigantic army and claiming Dublin. I'm still really new at this game and trying to learn but this poo poo is kind of frustrating. Does anyone have better recommendations? I've seen people mention the HRE but it's just such a gigantic clusterfuck that I don't know where to begin. I'd rather stay remote like Ireland if possible, until I get a real good feel for the game mechanics.

Also, I feel like I spend a lot of time watching the days just roll past with nothing happening, and money is hard to come by. Is this normal or am I playing the game totally wrong?

Swear fealty to him and live to fight another day.

DrNutt posted:

That's good to know. So is there a better place to start in Ireland than Dublin? Earl Murchad is a dumbass with dumbass children and a dumbass chancellor (6.01% chance per year to forge a claim :hurr: ).

In 1066, the earl of Munster is the best.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Iceland. You're too poor, small, and out of the way for anyone to gently caress with you besides your other Icelandic neighbor. Start in 1066 as Duke Isleifur with a loyal vassal, or Count Sigfus and try to overthrow Isleifur before he becomes a vassal of Norway. The 867 Icelandic start is a lot harder because you are small and insignificant, so one of the Norwegian petty kings will often go after you precisely because of that so they can form the Kingdom of Norway; you basically have to pray that they ignore you or bribe the big men.

Iceland was my first try as a newbie at CK2, and while it was a bit dull since nothing really happened, it was because nothing really happened much that things were slow enough for me to gradually get a grasp on the mechanics. Ireland struck me as having too much action with all the independent Earls, I wanted someplace small and out of the way.

I'm so glad I shook off this mentality. I started as Iceland in 867, and instead of reloading and crying when the King of Ostlandet declared on me as I normally would, I actually tried to fight him and let him subjugate me. 80 or so years later, he's gone and I'm the King of Norway and my Wife is the Queen of mondo buff Denmark.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

So, I have kinsman on multiple duchies in England and Scotland. How can I make them raise troops for me?

That's not how it works.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LowellDND posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm asking. I thought if a duchy inherits to my family, it turns green. It has not. I've killed half the court of England, I'm unsure what to do next.

Even if your dynastic heir came into inheriting a kingdom through your wife, his mother, you wouldn't get control over it until you died and took control of your heir. You need to be getting you direct heir married to female rulers or heirs, and then start killing your way through families, not just kinsmen. Family ties don't overide independance or fealty.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

I have never seen a "press all de jure claims" button :(

That's because it only works for strong claims, not De Jure claims. This doesn;t matter thoguh because once you learn how to play effectively, De Jure claims are rarely even touched aside from once in a blue moon to pretty up your borders. You can fabricate multiple claims and press them all at once, which is a good use of a court chancellor while you're waiting for that pesky cool down.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fabricating claims and pressing de jure claims are your easiest to use and most boring way of expanding. Marry a princess and murder your way through her family instead!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Does occupation count? I had solid hashing on all but two counties in Scotland. I presume it doesn't because I still lost.

Are you sure it wasn't Jorvik's war for Northumberland that you were losing?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dauntasa posted:

You'll get a notification on the top of your screen when a faction has gotten large enough to consider rebelling. Mouseover it and it'll tell you which faction(s) are strong enough to rebel. For most factions, this is when they reach around 60-70% of your military strength, but the Independence faction is special and will rebel with around 30%. Also the Independence faction is hyper-aggressive and will not hesitate to rebel at the absolute worst possible time and potentially get the entire realm conquered by heathens in order to try and win, so watch out for them specifically.

Also, if you're playing Norse then sometimes when someone rebels you'll get an event where a bunch of outcasts and criminals sign up for their army, which tends to give them a giant gently caress-off stack of soldiers. So 70% of your manpower can quickly become 100% when every Tom, Dick and Harald shows up to fight for them.

Nothing sweeter than crushing a rebellion and sacrificing him to the blot, except maybe crushing a rebellion as an old benevolent ruler and then using your accrued good faith to banish the traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Axeface posted:

I'm having a bastard of a time with this bastard of a game. I've got a beginner's question: I'm trying to appoint my 20 year-old nephew who thinks I rock to the stewardship of the realm, but he's not showing up as an available option. He's in my court and doesn't seem to have anything else to do with his hands. What's keeping me from appointing him?

Is he in another position on your council?

• Locked thread