Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

"There's naught, no doubt, so much the spirit calms as rum and true religion." - Lord Byron

"The chief fudling they make in the island is Rumbullion, alias Kill-Devil, and this is made of sugar canes distilled, a hot, hellish and terrible liquor." - John Lingon, an English settler in Barbados

Rum

Sweet nectar of the cane. Rum is the world's most varied spirit, and perhaps the world's most poorly-understood. All spirits have some sort of customary and legal requirements, which are more or less stringent. Bourbon, on the one hand, is definitely more. Gin is less. Rum is much, much less. To be labeled "rum" – in the United States at least – all that is required is that the spirit be derived from the sugarcane, a tall, fibrous species of grass originally from South and Southeast Asia. The sweet juice is pressed from the cane, and then either fermented directly or processed to produce molasses, which is then itself fermented. The production of molasses also yields an unimportant byproduct. After the appropriate fermentation, this sweet, beerish liquid is distilled, filtered, possibly aged in wood, and then bottled for sale.

The entire process is up to the discretion of the distiller, from the base material (French-speaking islands and Brazil like the juice, most everyone else does molasses), the fermenting agent (Cuban-style rums tend to use faster-acting, cleaner-tasting yeast, while Jamaicans employ a sort of sour mash process, using the old, slow-acting yeast from the last batch to get those rich funky flavors – in Indonesia they start fermenting their batavia arrack with some old rice cakes), to the sort of still (both pot stills and patent stills are used), to the distillation proof, to the length of aging and the sort of barrels, to the bottling proof. All of these variables and more combine to produce an almost infinite variety in rum styles and flavor profiles, to the point that it's essentially impossible to say what rum tastes like (besides delicious).

So how do you know what to drink? There's no one satisfactory system. I used to think of rum in terms of dark, gold, and light, which is actually a hilariously incomplete and misleading organizational system. You also need to know whether it is cane juice or molasses rum (also known as rhum agricole and rhum industriel respectively). The sort of still is significant, since a pot still will retain more of the flavor of the base ingredients than will a patent/column/Coffey still. And of course age is important, since it has an impact on the mellowness and roundness of a spirit.

Rums will usually list some, but rarely all, of this information on their label. There is one crucial piece of information which is pretty much always readily available though: the region in which the rum is produced. While regional styles aren't quite as well-defined as they were, say, 70 years ago (a global market has somewhat flattened and homogenized rum production, especially high-volume rums), they're still the best key to having a reasonable estimate of what you'll be drinking. The broadest-possible division is one of language.

Spanish-speaking regions generally use molasses and tend to use patent stills and short fermentation times for a clean, crisp flavor. Light rums from these regions tend to be floral and a bit sweet, with some being almost flavorless. Gold rums get a fair amount of flavor from the barrels – which tend to be used bourbon barrels, like the rest of the spirits industry uses – including oak, char, vanilla, and some spiciness. The older, darker rums get mellow and smooth, with some rich, velvety vanilla and brown sugar notes.

English-speaking regions use molasses, have a more lengthy fermentation, and are more likely to use pot stills (although a good number do use patent stills). The rums tend to be darker, and range in flavor from toasted coconut and caramelized pears (more of a Barbados style or Trinidadian style) to thick, molassesy, and sulfuric, sometimes with a gunpowdery flavor (Jamaica and Guyana). The clear rums will have that funk about them, with some sweetness, but less brown sugar.

French-speaking regions tend to use pure cane juice, rather than molasses. They may use column or pot stills, and are frequently aged in oak. The whole cane juice gives these rums more of a grassy or fresh-wood flavor than is found in other styles, and they sometimes have a twang that is reminiscent of agave. Older rums have a bit more sweetness, along with toffee and caramel notes, as well as some darker leather and tobacco character.

Estate rums are bottled by their distiller. Some independent bottlings are region-specific (the Plantation series has a number of regional rums), while others are blends (Denizen is Jamaica and Trinidad – and spectacular – while Banks 5 Island is Jamaica, Trinidad, Barbados, Guyana, and Java). Still, the blends tend to list the origins of their rums on the bottle, since it's such important information for the consumer.

Of course, there's a good deal of variation within this. Barbados rums and Jamaican rums taste totally different, even though they're both English-speaking regions. However, this should get you in the ballpark when approaching a new rum, and luckily, rum tends to be significantly less expensive than most other spirits (though some agricultural rums can get drat pricy).

"So I've found some rums to try – what's the best way to drink them?"

Like any premium spirit, fine aged rums can be enjoyed neat to great effect. While some of these fine spirits start at $40/fifth+, there are also some truly excellent sippers available for as little as $12, though sometimes you have to get lucky. These can be enjoyed as is, or with a bit of ice or water to your taste. One thing to remember with rums is that they age faster than almost any other spirit – tropical temperatures can do to a rum in 2 or 3 years what would take 6 years for bourbon or 10 years for Scotch. Of course, some rums (particularly 3rd-party bottlings) are aged in Europe or America, but generally even lightly aged rums are quite mellow.

There are also a number of simple cocktails that show off a new rum to great effect. Aged rums respond well to the Old Fashioned treatment – rum, sugar (I like a rich turbinado syrup), and bitters are particularly good at showing off the nicer qualities of the more aggressive Jamaican, Guyanese, and Martinique rums. The Daiquiri is probably the most famous rum drink – lime, sugar, and ice do something amazing with literally every rum I've tried. A nice long drink is variously called a Caribeño or a rum coco or just rum and coconut water – somewhere along 3 parts coconut water (no added sugar) to 1 part rum, a dash of lime if you like, and ice. Of course if you've got cachaça you should treat yourself to a caipirinha and if you've got a nice Martinique, a Ti Punch is always welcome. You can also explore elaborate Tiki drinks, but that's another thread.

So where to go from here? Normally I'd recommend searching out a good bar, but rum bars tend to be few and far between – in the States at least. If you're lucky enough to live in the San Francisco Bay Area I'd recommend checking out Smuggler's Cove, which probably has the finest rum collection of any bar in the States. If you know of an old Tiki bar in your area have a look – even if their cocktails are syrupy and awful (and sadly many venerable old Tiki palaces are are mere shades of their former selves) their rum selection should still be better than average, and you can begin tasting it yourself. If your bar scene seems bare, at least you can take comfort in the fact that it's easier on your wallet to explore rum than it is to explore Scotch or cognac or even rye. In the next post I'll give some guidance on bottles to start with.

I hope you'll give it a shot. Rum has a bad rap as being cheap, sweet, and wretched, thanks in large part to horrible spiced rums and flavorless Bacardi swill. In truth I suspect there's no spirit as likely to surprise and delight as a fine rum, a liquid envoy from some faraway place, guaranteed to lift your tired spirit, and transport you to a world of flavor and ease. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Building your rum collection

I think a good rum collection ought to show off the variety available in the world of rum. There's so much out there, it's hard to get by with only one or two. What follows is a good, all-purpose guide to growing your rum cabinet, for people interested in mixing as well as sipping. If you prefer certain flavor styles – spicy, fruity, funky – or know that you'll be sipping, rather than shaking up Hurricanes and Zombies, I can offer other guidance.

1. Light Cuban-style rum. I like Flor de Caña Extra Dry (from Nicaragua), but Cruzan (US Virgin Islands) is also a decent choice. Havana Club is great if the US-Cuba embargo doesn't inconvenience you.
Sweet, floral (jasmine), dry finish

2. Dark Jamaican rum. I am a big, big proponent of Coruba. I think it's more sophisticated than Meyer's, and more Jamaican-tasting than Appleton Estate (which to me is too Bourbon-y). Plus it's cheap. Still, those are both decent choices if that's all you've got.
Molasses or brown sugar, sulfur, maybe some oak, long twangy finish

3. Gold Barbados rum. I love Plantation Barbados, but have enjoyed Mt. Gay Eclipse as well. If you wanna drop some coin on an XO Cognac-like rum, Mt. Gay Extra Old is one of the most well-known premiums.
Some toffee, floral (roses and lilies), roasted stone fruit, coconut, medium sweet finish

4. Barbancourt 5 Star. There's a reason this is one of the most well-regarded rums around. Smooth, cognac-like, and refined. Makes an amazing Old Fashioned.
Tiny bit of brown sugar, tobacco, leather, wet earth, and wood shavings. Long dry finish

5. Demerara rum. El Dorado 5-year is a great choice that's become pretty available Stateside lately. I haven't had the Lemon Hart 80, which I suspect is somewhat different. Tasting notes are for the El Dorado. It's a bit sweet on its own, but makes a memorable Daiquiri.
Toffee. Caramel. Burnt sugar. Brittle. Brown butter. Dark confections. Really sweet, but not (quite) syrupy

6. Smith and Cross. This is a rum that has to be tasted to be believed. It's as close as you get to the sort of stuff they were tossing back 200 years ago. Dark, rich, with an insanely long finish and a thick mouthfeel. It makes a better punch than any other spirit I've tried. It's a bit rough on its own (bottled at 115 proof), but in an Old Fashioned it's pretty much unparalleled.
Brown sugar, sulfer, huge twang, thick texture, long sticky mouthfeel

Those 6 will get you started drat well. At its peak my rum collection also included the Flor de Caña 4-year gold (spicy, caramel, vanilla, long oaky finish), J. Wray and Nephew Overproof Jamaican (buttery nose, heavy twang, sweet finish), Batavia Arrack van Oosten (mossy, wet stone, jungle undergrowth), and Lemon Hart Demerara 151 (thick brown sugar, gunpowder, sulfur, hot hot finish) – the best 151 there is. I've been hankering after a nice aged Martinique rum for a while, but those are a bit pricey, so that Rhum JM VSOP will have to wait a bit more.

There are also some more sipping-oriented rums out there to try. In addition to Mt. Gay Extra Old, which I've already mentioned, there's Ron Zacapa 23 (the winningest rum at international tastings), Zaya 12 (and 18), and Angostura 1919. These are all velvety and lovely, and will impress pretty much anyone who tries.

I'm in a bit of a dry spell right now (some unexpected car repairs, plus a couple birthdays and a graduation have tapped me out), but I plan on rebuilding my rum cabinet as soon as possible. I'll post tasting notes for new stuff I try, and look forward to hearing your experience. Have fun exploring!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thanks for posting this! I tried some of the Mount Gay extra old a while back (my Dad was at a conference in Barbados and brought a bottle back) and loved it, so I got a bottle for myself. On the other hand, that's basically the only rum I've had other than some Eclipse once, so this will be excellently helpful in figuring out what other types/bottles I might want to get when I'm not filling out my Scotch and bourbon shelf.

Would you say it's a waste to use extra old (and such premiums) on mixed drinks that you've described, or it will be that much better?

Oh and one last question: Dark 'n Stormies? Waste of rum, delicious drink, what do you think? (and if the latter, what sorts of rum would you suggest that are not either Meyers or Goslings?)

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 29, 2013

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

This is a really good OP and an interesting thread.

I've been developing my liquor palate for YEARS and rum is my last great frontier. I felt so uneducated about rums before today. SomethingAwful is so great for learning new things.

As a resident of New England I know some Irish folks that take their Dark & Stormies pretty seriously. (I've even heard claims that the D&S was invented in Newport, Rhode Island, which is crazy.) Anyway, the 'correct' way to make a dark & stormy is to start with your bed of ice in a highball glass, pour in your dark rum (Goslings ONLY!), and then carefully pour about 3x as much ginger beer over the rum. Garnish with a twist of lime if you like.

If done correctly you'll have a layered effect, which when sipped allows you to enjoy the ginger beer, then the mix of ginger beer and rum, and finally finish with a well-chilled, well-watered rum shot. It's important to have good quality ginger beer for the recipe, but I'm not sure if they make it cheap. Note that ginger beer isn't ginger ale though!

I find it a good way to enjoy mid-grade dark rums, and it's an excellent casual cocktail in the summer...refreshing, cold, and not too complex. However, I'm generally sticking to Goslings or Meyer's dark for this...not really hitting the top shelf.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gameko posted:

As a resident of New England I know some Irish folks that take their Dark & Stormies pretty seriously. (I've even heard claims that the D&S was invented in Newport, Rhode Island, which is crazy.) Anyway, the 'correct' way to make a dark & stormy is to start with your bed of ice in a highball glass, pour in your dark rum (Goslings ONLY!), and then carefully pour about 3x as much ginger beer over the rum. Garnish with a twist of lime if you like.

Speaking of, have you tried the Thomas Tew rum the Newport Storm people distill?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, I'm planning on picking up a bottle tonight at my local LCBO. I personally love good cocktails, especially martini varients (Like Manhattans.) Would it be with dry or sweet vermouth? And would a light rum or a dark rum be better?

Also, I'm starting to get into infused alcohols. I made lemongrass infused vodka recently, and am wondering what would be a good infused flavour. Tropical fruit? Mint? Even chocolate?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

We have a limited choice of rums in :norway:

http://www.vinmonopolet.no/vareutvalg/sok?query=Rom&sort=2&sortMode=0&filterIds=25;26&filterValues=Brennevin%3BRom

Any recommendations from this list? My gf likes captain morgan's spiced. I'm trying to get her to broaden her tastes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Thanks for posting this! I tried some of the Mount Gay extra old a while back (my Dad was at a conference in Barbados and brought a bottle back) and loved it, so I got a bottle for myself. On the other hand, that's basically the only rum I've had other than some Eclipse once, so this will be excellently helpful in figuring out what other types/bottles I might want to get when I'm not filling out my Scotch and bourbon shelf.

Would you say it's a waste to use extra old (and such premiums) on mixed drinks that you've described, or it will be that much better?

Oh and one last question: Dark 'n Stormies? Waste of rum, delicious drink, what do you think? (and if the latter, what sorts of rum would you suggest that are not either Meyers or Goslings?)

I love a good Dark 'n' Stormy, especially with homemade ginger beer. When using the homemade stuff I'll often go with Cruzan Black Strap, which is just loaded with vanilla and spice notes, which is a nice complement to the spicy ginger. When I want it a bit less sweet I tend to use Coruba. Gosling's is fine, but not my favorite. Also Gosling's is pretty obnoxious in that they trademarked the name "Dark and Stormy" and have been known to pursue legal action against bars which sell Dark and Stormies using some other rum.

Oh, and w/r/t the whole layering thing Gameko described, I usually drink my Dark and Stormies with a straw, so if I wanted the layered effect I'd do it backwards.

The premiums can be nice in cocktails, but they're so mellow it's easy to lose them in the mix if you're not careful. Something like the Honey Fitz is a good move, but I typically just drink them neat.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I'm planning on picking up a bottle tonight at my local LCBO. I personally love good cocktails, especially martini varients (Like Manhattans.) Would it be with dry or sweet vermouth? And would a light rum or a dark rum be better?

Also, I'm starting to get into infused alcohols. I made lemongrass infused vodka recently, and am wondering what would be a good infused flavour. Tropical fruit? Mint? Even chocolate?

For interesting Manhattan-like rum drinks I'd either go with something earthy and woody, like the Barbancourt 5 Star, or sweet and rich, like the Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve. Either one would make a great Manhattan. For a Martini I wouldn't use a Spanish-style rum, since they're too light in flavor. Something like a white Martinique rum or a cachaça would me my go-to for that. I've not spent much time infusing rum, but I think dried orange peels would be a nice addition to various different rums, and also perhaps some herbs like rosemary, if you wanted something different (depending on the rum, of course). An easy answer is cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and allspice, which will give you a fairly standard spiced rum flavor profile.

BlueGrot posted:

We have a limited choice of rums in :norway:

http://www.vinmonopolet.no/vareutvalg/sok?query=Rom&sort=2&sortMode=0&filterIds=25;26&filterValues=Brennevin%3BRom

Any recommendations from this list? My gf likes captain morgan's spiced. I'm trying to get her to broaden her tastes.

I'm really sorry about your liquor prices, by the way. In any case, I'd start with the Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve, which is a nice balance between approachable, sophisticated, and affordable. If you're interested in a very special bottle, the Mt. Gay Extra Old, Pampero Anniversario, and Zacapa Centenario 23 are sure to please, and you'll pay for the pleasure. In any case, that's actually not a bad rum selection as they go. You can explore most of the rum categories I've mentioned from that list.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
I first became a rum fan while on vacation in Jamaica. My family and I were in an Appleton Estate run gift shop. They asked us which we would like to sample, to which we replied, "We don't know." This turned out to be the correct answer, and they poured us each a shot of every single rum they offer.

Ever since then, I've been trying to get whatever I can, but my area has a piss-poor selection. Currently on our liquor shelf are the following: Ron Zacapa, Oronoco, Gosling's, Doorleys, Brugal, Pusser's, Sailor Jerry's, and Kraken.

I like the Oronoco most for mixing, where its strong vanilla notes tend to come through.

I enjoy sipping the Brugal and Zacapa, I find them to be the most smooth of the bunch.

I've been really trying to find some good Rhum Agricole, but that has been really hard to find in VA.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So, would you consider Kraken to be a lovely rum? It's my rum of choice, but I'm in probably the worst place to build up a collection of good rum samples.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
The best rum (not my pic) http://i.imgur.com/gQ8ezUa.jpg

It was $8 and if you let it sit long enough (and believe me, you will) the sugar comes out of solution and rests at the bottom of the bottle, making the last bit of liquid just the worst thing in the world in a bottle that is already pretty much the worst thing in the world. Got it for a friend as a joke and because we have some kind of weird, masochistic love for exceptionally lovely liquor.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

So, would you consider Kraken to be a lovely rum? It's my rum of choice, but I'm in probably the worst place to build up a collection of good rum samples.

It's a mixer that feels like it brings a lot of alcohol to the table. Not all spiced rums are created equal, and my go-tos are Kraken and Sailor Jerry's. Sailor for flavor, but Kraken for heat.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

breakfall87 posted:

I first became a rum fan while on vacation in Jamaica. My family and I were in an Appleton Estate run gift shop. They asked us which we would like to sample, to which we replied, "We don't know." This turned out to be the correct answer, and they poured us each a shot of every single rum they offer.

Ever since then, I've been trying to get whatever I can, but my area has a piss-poor selection. Currently on our liquor shelf are the following: Ron Zacapa, Oronoco, Gosling's, Doorleys, Brugal, Pusser's, Sailor Jerry's, and Kraken.

I like the Oronoco most for mixing, where its strong vanilla notes tend to come through.

I enjoy sipping the Brugal and Zacapa, I find them to be the most smooth of the bunch.

I've been really trying to find some good Rhum Agricole, but that has been really hard to find in VA.

If you haven't tried Pusser's you should give it a shot – it's a Barbados rum but it's got a bit of that funky twang that the best Jamaicans show in spades. Makes a drat good punch. That's not a huge rum selection, but almost all of those are fair-to-excellent rums. It could be worse – this could be your rum shelf.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I've yet to try a spiced rum that brings flavors to the table that couldn't be gotten from a (better) non-spiced rum. Kraken is fine, but it's mostly vanilla and a bit of sweetness. Cruzan Black Strap is better if you want that sort of profile, while something like El Dorado 5 gets you better with the brown confection, and some of the gold Spanish-style rums do better on the warmer spices. I can imagine an effective spiced rum, I just haven't run across one yet.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I really like Parrot Bay 90 proof coconut rum. I am part of the problem, I am sorry.
Something I've been meaning to do for a few weeks though is make my own regular proof coconut infused rum. Any suggestions for recipes/sugar amount/seeping times? Also what would be a good (i.e., cheap, but not nasty) rum to use as a base?
I'm pretty sure the next time I get a bottle of Parrot Bay it'll give me renal failure and I'd kind of like to avoid that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've heard that if you're dying for some coconut rum Cruzan is the most reasonable.

In terms of making your own coconut rum, I'd recommend melting some fancy, unrefined coconut oil, heating it slightly to liquify, and then shaking it in with a jar of delicate white rum. Let it cool, fat-wash it, and repeat as necessary.

gently caress, I think I'm gonna try that now.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Kenning posted:

gently caress, I think I'm gonna try that now.

Let me know how that works out for you. That Cruzan looks to be something like 50 proof, which is inadequate. Though their 151 may make a good macerator. Might try that with some fresh coconut meat this weekend if I get bored.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Kenning posted:

I'm really sorry about your liquor prices, by the way. In any case, I'd start with the Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve, which is a nice balance between approachable, sophisticated, and affordable. If you're interested in a very special bottle, the Mt. Gay Extra Old, Pampero Anniversario, and Zacapa Centenario 23 are sure to please, and you'll pay for the pleasure. In any case, that's actually not a bad rum selection as they go. You can explore most of the rum categories I've mentioned from that list.

Our booze is expensive, but a bottle of CM spiced gold and Mount Gay cost exactly the same. Will check them out.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I picked up some Ron Rio virgin islands rum, a bottle of silver and a bottle of gold, on the "Discontinued STATE MINIMUM LIQUOR PRICES" shelf for $6.50 (!!!) a fifth. Glass bottles too, not just plastic crap.

I was expecting it to be horrible but I was surprised to find it was quite good compared to the rums I've had before that were your "staple" spiced rum brands that most americans drink when they drink rum.

Thanks for this thread, between discovering that and this info I think I am poised to try some better ones. I'll probably find that the Ron Rio is terrible after I taste some others but drat I was happy that it wasn't undrinkable garbage at that price. I picked up the last other 2 bottles they had too because holy crap at that price. You can't even buy lovely mixing vodka for that here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks for making the thread. After trying to get into scotch and bourbons for a while I just cannot. It's never something that sat well with my pallet. I have always had a good enjoyment of Rum and Vodka however and was wanting to try some more actual varieties.

So far I've been keeping stocked with Goslings and Cruzan black strap, but would like to move into a few more varieties to get a feel for what I like. The OP is perfect for helping with this.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

Kenning posted:

If you haven't tried Pusser's you should give it a shot – it's a Barbados rum but it's got a bit of that funky twang that the best Jamaicans show in spades. Makes a drat good punch. That's not a huge rum selection, but almost all of those are fair-to-excellent rums. It could be worse – this could be your rum shelf.

Oh no, the rums I listed are ones I have on my personal shelf, our liquor stores look just like the one you posted :saddowns:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Breaky posted:

Thanks for making the thread. After trying to get into scotch and bourbons for a while I just cannot. It's never something that sat well with my pallet. I have always had a good enjoyment of Rum and Vodka however and was wanting to try some more actual varieties.
I got into whiskey because it's a family tradition, but I think rum has always suited me best. Until I read this thread I had the impression that rum was divided between low-to-mid-shelf stuff that's good for mixing, and rhum agricole that's expensive and impossible to get in Virginia. Now I want to devote as much of my liquor cabinet to rum as I do to whiskey.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of, have you tried the Thomas Tew rum the Newport Storm people distill?

Personally, I've only heard legends of Thomas Tew. Some coworkers took a vacation in Newport last summer and the Newport Storm brewery tour was one of the highlights of their trip.

In any case, they like it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I got into whiskey because it's a family tradition, but I think rum has always suited me best. Until I read this thread I had the impression that rum was divided between low-to-mid-shelf stuff that's good for mixing, and rhum agricole that's expensive and impossible to get in Virginia. Now I want to devote as much of my liquor cabinet to rum as I do to whiskey.

I remember finding Barbancourt at the ABC when I lived in Williamsburg so it might not be impossible. Maybe they could order it for you (or cross the border to a civilized county in Maryland although definitely not Monty)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

breakfall87 posted:

Oh no, the rums I listed are ones I have on my personal shelf, our liquor stores look just like the one you posted :saddowns:

Oh...oh I'm sorry.

BlueGrot posted:

Our booze is expensive, but a bottle of CM spiced gold and Mount Gay cost exactly the same. Will check them out.

The Mount Gay (I assume its similar to Eclipse) is the same price, but the Extra Old is almost twice as much (totally worth it though). Still, a decent selection.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
I've got this bottle of Ron Zacapa XO sitting in my cupboard for two years now, need an excuse to uncork it.. The 23 year old version is already the best rum I've had and I'd expect this to be a bit better still.

Arenovalis fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 31, 2013

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

We asked for rum knowledge and you dropped it on us hard.

I agree that Smith and Cross is incredible, so good in fact that I haven't even dared mix it with anything yet. Do you have a favorite cocktail recipe that uses a funky Jamaician rum?

I've noticed that a lot of tiki recipes will use two or more rums that compliment each other, something that you don't see too often with other base spirits. Are there any particularly successful combinations that just work, or ones that don't?

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

I remember finding Barbancourt at the ABC when I lived in Williamsburg so it might not be impossible. Maybe they could order it for you (or cross the border to a civilized county in Maryland although definitely not Monty)

The ABC store out in Williamsburg by New Town is one of the larger ones in the state. They have the best selection and will get in some crazy specialty bottles such as Agwa and St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram, but they never have as much variety as I would like when it comes to the staple liquor.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kenning posted:

Pusser's is one of my favourite rums that aren't insanely priced and quite easy to pick up. :)

Also :wtc: at that image thats like 80% Bacardi / Malibu. :psyduck:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 31, 2013

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
Throwing in another recommendation for Pusser's. It's a rum with a lot of history (was distributed by the Royal Navy) and great flavor. Very oaky both on the nose and tongue. Enough flavor to drink neat, on the rocks, or in a punch. Not too pricey, either, about $20/750ml where I live (South Carolina).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Left of the Dial posted:

Throwing in another recommendation for Pusser's. It's a rum with a lot of history (was distributed by the Royal Navy) and great flavor. Very oaky both on the nose and tongue. Enough flavor to drink neat, on the rocks, or in a punch. Not too pricey, either, about $20/750ml where I live (South Carolina).

Yeah the history behind Pusser's is on the same scale as Plymouth Gin's history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eswMosMToA

Also came across this rum, which I think I will never be able to try Black Tot Last Consignment. :psyduck:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 31, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chuck Biscuits posted:

We asked for rum knowledge and you dropped it on us hard.

I agree that Smith and Cross is incredible, so good in fact that I haven't even dared mix it with anything yet. Do you have a favorite cocktail recipe that uses a funky Jamaician rum?

I've noticed that a lot of tiki recipes will use two or more rums that compliment each other, something that you don't see too often with other base spirits. Are there any particularly successful combinations that just work, or ones that don't?

Probably my favorite use of Smith and Cross is in an Old Fashioned – 1.5 oz Smith and Cross, 1 tsp 2:1 turbinado syrup, 2 dashes bitters. I let it sit on the ice for a while to dilute and get very cold. I'd also recommend trying a Clyde River Punch.

In terms of rum affinities, there are a few combinations I always try out when I'm riffing. White Cuban-style and gold Barbados work together very nicely. Dark Jamaican and gold Cuban are also quite complimentary. A bit of demerara rum can find its way into almost any combination and do good as well.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I have a bottle of Chairman's Reserve St Lucian Rum open at the moment. http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=896

I'm much more of a whisky man to be frank, but Chairman's Reserve is fairly cheap in the UK and very nice to sip away at. Barbados style I'd guess, a lot lighter than the El Dorado 15 I also have open.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

PatMarshall posted:

Fortunately, although ABC doesn't carry much in the way of fancy rhum agricole, most of the brands that Kenning singled out are available. I thought for a long time that the three categories of rum were "cheap, mid-shelf, expensive and hard-to-get boutique stuff," and now I realize that as with whiskey, there are quite a few quality mid-to-top brands available. I've been told for some time that Pusser's and Flor de Caña are great, and I can find those without going to the one ABC in town that stocks special-order stuff.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just mixed up a Clyde River Punch and it's really good. I think I could pretty easily drink a gallon of this and wake up wishing I hadn't. Next party I go to is getting punched...hard.

Also made an old fashioned with Smith and Cross and a couple shakes of Cocktail Kingdom falernum bitters. Not surprisingly the falernum spices really compliment the rum. I think I will start trying out some of the other bitters in my collection to see how they work.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
So far I've tried Pyrat and just now Gosling's black seal. I like the Pyrat a lot. Goslings is not what i was expecting and is very good too. Its kind of hard to describe them other than 'fruity' so far. Gotta get my palate used to rum!

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just ordered Lemon Hart 151 and Batavia Arrack. Gonna make some Swedish Punsch! Do you have a good punsch recipe?

Whenever I use any sort of 151 it just gets floated on top of the drink. Are there other applications where it gets mixed into the drink?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Ever since a trip to Miami a few years ago I've been feverishly addicted to Zaya, a Trinidad dark rum. I freak out if I go below having two bottles on hand. It's the only reason I even keep a cigar humidor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Zaya is super good. It's one of those utterly inoffensive, entirely delicious rums. I doubt anyone would turn it down.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I just ordered Lemon Hart 151 and Batavia Arrack. Gonna make some Swedish Punsch! Do you have a good punsch recipe?

Whenever I use any sort of 151 it just gets floated on top of the drink. Are there other applications where it gets mixed into the drink?

You could make a Death in the Pacific! As I recall it's something like 1.5 oz. Lemon Hart 151, 1 oz. lime juice, 1/2 oz. grenadine, and 1/2 oz. maraschino. I may be somewhat off, I don't know where my Beach Bum Berry Remixed is at. In any case it's delicious. Also try it in an Old Fashioned. Sip slowly, and let the ice melt. A lot. Also congratulations in getting so deep into the rum – it will carry you through good and bad times.

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
A friend of mine brought me Ron de Jeremy reserva rum for my birthday. At first I thought it was just a gimmick rum and not that good, but it turned to be a very smooth, maybe a little bit cinnamony rum. Can't get a hold of others in the line though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013
I would highly recommend the Flor de Cana line of rum from Nicaragua if you can get it. Very inexpensive for very tasty, drinkable rum. The dry white makes a great mixer, and the darker anejo rums are great either for sipping or mixing. They have mostly replaced Appleton's in my home bar.

• Locked thread