Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Mahler posted:

So I finally got Wray and Nephew overproof white rum. Anyone got some killer cocktails to recommend?

Not to be flip, but a daiquiri is a killer cocktail. :) Some people might find that much Wray and Nephew a bit overwhelming; if you're one of them, you can split the base between W&N and a nice white rum. (I like Maggie's Farm, if you can get it.)

I don't know a lot of cocktails that specifically call for W&N, to be honest. I often sub it partially/completely for "Jamaican rum" in drinks that call for it, particularly if I'm out of Smith and Cross. If that messes up the light rum/dark rum balance, I'll use darker rums elsewhere to compensate. I'll also use it for floats or in small amounts just to add some funk to a drink, much like you would use a peaty scotch.

It isn't a cocktail, but Wray and Nephew is an outstanding rum for making falernum, which is well worth the effort and let's you make a whole pile of additional drinks, the Corn 'N Oil being about the simplest.

That's not exactly what you asked for, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mahler posted:

So I finally got Wray and Nephew overproof white rum. Anyone got some killer cocktails to recommend?

This is pretty good, and a super easy prebatch for parties.

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jaspers-rum-punch/

I also second W&N as the ideal rum for falernum making, as well as your preservative in orgeat/grenadine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Kenning, what is the most cinnamon punch?

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

This is pretty good, and a super easy prebatch for parties.

http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jaspers-rum-punch/

I also second W&N as the ideal rum for falernum making, as well as your preservative in orgeat/grenadine.

Woah, this looks great, and I have everything to make one (without the cherry). Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I feel really bad about FdC, I wish they would clean up their act. The older rums are so-so, but the white is one of the better Spanish-style whites out there for the price, and I just haven't been drinking white rum since I learned how lovely they were.

Halloween Jack posted:

Kenning, what is the most cinnamon punch?

Cinnamon? Hmm. There's a very weird recipe in Punch! that I've never made that calls for cinnamon, among loads of other stuff. Otherwise I haven't seen it deployed much. Cinnamon is a tough one to get into a punch, since the flavor can quickly become overwhelming. What are you looking for cinnamon punch for?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dune theme parties.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
He who controls the allspice controls the dram.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I got some Smith & Cross and holy poo poo

You weren't kidding about it being challenging neat

Or about it being delicious in an Old Fashioned

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fish Noise posted:

I got some Smith & Cross and holy poo poo

You weren't kidding about it being challenging neat

Or about it being delicious in an Old Fashioned

Another amazing option: I just made this version of a Corn 'n' Oil with Smith & Cross, and it was lovely. I was worried that the blackstrap would overpower everything else, but the Smith & Cross stands up to it with no problem.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Just found don q 151 at the store. Good for 151 proof. I use with light and dark rums in hurricanes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
What is the best rum available at the $30 or less price point?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

therobit posted:

What is the best rum available at the $30 or less price point?

There's a lot of good rum under $30. Are you looking for a particular style? The second post in the thread gives a good rundown of various types of rum. Do you plan to use it in cocktails, sip it neat, or what?

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

smith and cross is the usual under $30 I go for.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I needed a solid white rum and being put off by the Flor de Cana nonsense, opted for Cruzan Aged Rum. How did I do?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

There's a lot of good rum under $30. Are you looking for a particular style? The second post in the thread gives a good rundown of various types of rum. Do you plan to use it in cocktails, sip it neat, or what?

To be honest I mostly drink beer and vodka, but I like the odd hot buttered rum, rum and coke, or slug of rum in my coffee. I typically dont like to sip liquor neat, but if something was amazing I might. I actually really don't know what cockails I would make with it, buy am open to learning some.

Due to a religious upbringing I am late to developing my taste for booze. If it sounds like I don't know poo poo about booze it is because I don't.

What is a good rum for people not used to rum? I am getting low on some mount gay eclipse that I bought around Christmas and it was ok but could have been better.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

therobit posted:

To be honest I mostly drink beer and vodka, but I like the odd hot buttered rum, rum and coke, or slug of rum in my coffee. I typically dont like to sip liquor neat, but if something was amazing I might. I actually really don't know what cockails I would make with it, buy am open to learning some.

Due to a religious upbringing I am late to developing my taste for booze. If it sounds like I don't know poo poo about booze it is because I don't.

What is a good rum for people not used to rum? I am getting low on some mount gay eclipse that I bought around Christmas and it was ok but could have been better.

I like to recommend Zaya 12 to new (rum) drinkers. It's very sweet and vanilla-y. It has a deserved reputation for being a bit one note, but esoteric complexity isn't where you want to begin--and even once your taste has developed, it makes an outstanding hot buttered rum.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't tried it, but I was also thinking Zaya based on the talk earlier in this thread :hfive:

Don't worry about not knowing everything. Full disclosure: my interest in liquor didn't really extend beyond shots and highballs until last summer, so I barely know what I'm talking about. I just grabbed some of the recommendations from the OP that had interesting-sounding flavor profiles and wound up enjoying them.

If you're only going to have one rum on hand, this isn't the rum to recommend, but I have an inordinate fondness for Cruzan Blackstrap. It's super molasses-y, goes great with ginger ale (and probably coke), and I bet it would be really nice in coffee.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

angor posted:

I needed a solid white rum and being put off by the Flor de Cana nonsense, opted for Cruzan Aged Rum. How did I do?
As a matter of fact, when I don't have Flor de Cana Extra Secco (and I am also disgusted by their practices), Cruzan's my go-to for mixing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What about Flor de Caña?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Turns out they're destroying people's lives:

Toast Museum posted:

I was pretty excited to try Flor de Caña when I saw it recommended in this thread, but then I read this article about its production, and, welp.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't tried it, but I was also thinking Zaya based on the talk earlier in this thread :hfive:

Don't worry about not knowing everything. Full disclosure: my interest in liquor didn't really extend beyond shots and highballs until last summer, so I barely know what I'm talking about. I just grabbed some of the recommendations from the OP that had interesting-sounding flavor profiles and wound up enjoying them.

If you're only going to have one rum on hand, this isn't the rum to recommend, but I have an inordinate fondness for Cruzan Blackstrap. It's super molasses-y, goes great with ginger ale (and probably coke), and I bet it would be really nice in coffee.

Yeah, I would prefer to have something versatile because I can only dedicate so much of my income and couner space to liquor. Does that describe Cruzan Blackstrap?

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

therobit posted:

Yeah, I would prefer to have something versatile because I can only dedicate so much of my income and couner space to liquor. Does that describe Cruzan Blackstrap?

Cruzan blackstrap is the opposite of versatile. It's delightful in dark & stormies, and it can really shine in coffee drinks and tiki stuff, but it's one-note, sweet, and heavy.
It's not a bad rum, but it's extremely limited in the ways you can use it; you could draw an analogy to beer and say that Blackstrap is to rum what sweet milk stouts are to beer: tasty, but a very niche expression of the category.

If you're looking for a single, versatile bottle then I'd go with Pusser's (lots of vanilla-ey, oakey demerara notes, but there's also the funk from the Jamaican rum in the blend), a Barbancourt 8 (if you're on a budget) or 15(if you want your mind blown & aren't afraid to light some money on fire).
That having been said, I think that my Desert Island Rum would probably be Plantation's OFTD. It's ridiculously good for the price, and at 69% you get killer bang for your buck.

DISCLAIMER: I'm also a rum newbie, but have spent hundreds of dollars on different bottles since I started on this rum kick last winter

e: El Dorado 12 is also a KILLER bottle, but it's really sweet for a 12 year aged rum, which is a turn off for some people. At ~$35 for a 12 year bottle, though, it's an absurdly good deal.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 31, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

therobit posted:

Sorry, I should've been clearer. Cruzan Blackstrap is really, really not the rum to get if you're only going to have one. It'd be great in the drinks you mentioned, but it wouldn't give you much ability to try out other drinks. Keep it in mind if you find yourself with the space/budget to expand, though.

I'll second Barbancourt 8 as a solid choice. I've only had Pusser's in a couple of mixed drinks, but it seems like a good bet as well. If you wind up getting a second bottle, Cruzan's white rum would expand your drink options.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much just make Dark n Stormys and Rum n Cokes, but my go-to daily drinkers are Sailor Jerrys and Kraken. Nothing too amazing about either of them, but (at least for me) no big detriments either, they're easy to find and pretty cheap.

Echoing the love for El Dorado 12yr, if you're looking for something with a sweeter fruity taste this is your stuff.

Haven't seen this one talked up lately, Old Monk is overall my favorite straight sippin' rum. It's from India and made with a lot of molasses so it's very dark and sweet, but if that's your jam then keep an eye out for their funny little squat bottles.

edit: What about ginger beer recommendations? So far I've latched on to Fever Tree for a hotter spice and Bundaberg for a sweeter soda-like taste (also the local boxstore has it at a really good price, I don't think they know how much it goes for on Amazon...).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gosling's ginger beer is good, and I also like Grace.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reed's Extra Ginger Brew is my go to, usually.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I use Cruzan Blackstrap instead of vodka in White Russians.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you can find it, Maine Root GInger Brew is very sweet and very heavy on the ginger.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If you have [a friend with] a juicer, you can make ginger juice and mix to taste! Good fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Barritt's is my general sweet spot choice between the ginger fire and the sweetness. If you're strapped for cash, Kroger has a decent one for $2-3 per six-pack.

There's also this link Kenning gave me and I've had bookmarked and unused for the past two years: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-ginger-beer/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
My favorite rums were for a long time the El Dorado offerings from Guyana. I had a close friend growing up whose family were Guyanese and they always had the good stuff.

Unfortunately the past few years I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere.

Anyone know if there are shortages of it or something? Good substitute product?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Interesting, I haven't had any issues sourcing it. Most recently I got the 21yo.

Maybe their distribution shifted more to the EU or something because rum is becoming more popular here.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

The Scarlet Ibis is fuckin' awesome.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Well the other week when I went to pick up my Tito's vodka for the month I noticed that the Cruzan black strap was only like 13 bucks so I picked some up. It makes a great rum and (diet) coke, not a fan of it with ginger ale (too sweet, or maybe even just the brown sugar smell) and is ok in coffee. Had to adjust ratios a little for a white cuban due the the sweet smell but pretty good anyhow. At the price I think it is worth getting. I will try a different bottle when this runs out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 17, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

therobit posted:

Well the other week when I went to pick up my Tito's vodka for the month I noticed that the Cruzan black strap was only like 13 bucks so I picked some up. It makes a great rum and (diet) coke, not a fan of it with ginger ale (too sweet, or maybe even just the brown sugar smell) and is ok in coffee. Had to adjust ratios a little for a white cuban due the the sweet smell but pretty good anyhow. At the price I think it is worth getting. I will try a different bottle when this runs out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hang on to a little bit of it in case you find yourself with the other ingredients for a Corn 'n' Oil. It's probably my favorite rum drink right now.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Comparing El Dorado 12 to Appleton 12 recently I much preferred the Appleton; much less sugar and more oaky/tad bourbon'ish characteristics with the Appleton that I prefer. Any extra aged recommendations? Not really interested in any more pricey sugar bombs which rum fans seem to prefer.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Mount Gay XO maybe, though the last time I had it I was not as impressed as I'd previously been.

I enjoy Clement VSOP but it's not aged that long. They do make some older ones but I've not been able to try them.

100% with you on the dislike of all the sugared stuff, FWIW check out this list to guide your search. I doubt it tells the whole story, especially as far as things like Zaya which to me tastes like someone dumped a bottle of vanilla extract in it, but in my experience it's reasonably reliable wrt what's going to be sweet and what's going to be dry.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I went to a big liquor store today and got three plantation rums. 5 year old light. Dark. And light overproofed. Really happy considering the price. 5 year was $22 and others were $15 a piece. Would recommend if looking for good value.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up a bottle of Plantation Original Dark for my obligatory room bottle while on vacation. I don't think it's all that good neat but just noticed how quickly some of that bottle went sloshed in a cup while reading old sci-fi shorts on the deck.

Going to save the rest and give it a proper go when I'm home and less distracted by the beach. At any rate, it mixes prwtty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

donkey salami posted:

I went to a big liquor store today and got three plantation rums. 5 year old light. Dark. And light overproofed. Really happy considering the price. 5 year was $22 and others were $15 a piece. Would recommend if looking for good value.

Do you mean OFTD, the Dark overproof? AFAIK the only light rum they make is the 3 stars, which isn't overproof.

The Barbados 5 year is ridiculous for the price. I just wish Plantation would start releasing some drier expressions, everything they make leans to the sweet side. They just purchased the West Indian Rum Distillery on Barbados, which I hope means the 5 year will stick around at that price point. It'll be interesting to see what they do with juice they now control at the source. I also understand that they are about to acquire another distillery in a very different location which I'm super excited about :ssh:

I recently got to try some of the Zacapa Edicion Negra as well, which is really nice. It sits between the 23 and XO in terms of sweetness but has a cool charred smoke flavor.

• Locked thread