Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

rxcowboy posted:

Good thinking. I'm going to try and get a decent sipping rum this week though. I need to find a decent liquor store though, I'm going to try Appleton 12 year. I remember my parents bought some when we were in Jamaica, and even as a teenager I thought it tasted smooth.

I just got a bottle of Appleton 12 year old this week and I definitely notice a difference from what I have been drinking (usually Old Sam, a local Newfoundland one, and sometimes Gosling's). Anyways, yeah, the 12 year old is really good as far as my novice palate is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What do the rum experts recommend for a mixing white rum? My handle of Cruzan Aged Light will reach the end of its life soon. I mostly just use white rum to make daiquiris. (By which I mean white rum, lime, and simple syrup.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

fins posted:

Grenadian rum post

This is totally awesome man. Why are/were you in Grenada? I take it from your post that Grenadian rums are super funky – that sounds awesome. You don't hear much about rums from Grenada – now I wanna try some next time I go to Smuggler's.

By the way, does anybody in this thread live in the Bay Area? I'd love to have someone to go nerd out over rum with at the old Cove.

colonel_korn posted:

I just got a bottle of Appleton 12 year old this week and I definitely notice a difference from what I have been drinking (usually Old Sam, a local Newfoundland one, and sometimes Gosling's). Anyways, yeah, the 12 year old is really good as far as my novice palate is concerned.

It's not just you – Appleton is one of the favorite distillers among aficionados of rum, and their spirits really are very good. It's been some time since I've bought an Appleton rum and I feel like it's time for me to return, seeing that my palate for rum has developed quite a bit in the interim.

Halloween Jack posted:

What do the rum experts recommend for a mixing white rum? My handle of Cruzan Aged Light will reach the end of its life soon. I mostly just use white rum to make daiquiris. (By which I mean white rum, lime, and simple syrup.)

Cruzan is fine, but sort of boring. I usually mix with Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry. Havana Club is supposed to be excellent, but I've never had it since I live in the US and we've got a silly embargo. Some rum enthusiasts recently did a Daiquiri bracket tournament that resulted in Oronoco getting the top spot for the perfect Daiquiri rum, though when I had an Oronoco Daiquiri at Smuggler's it was totally good, but not some outrageous, incredibly perfect drink. My favorite Daiquiri rum is Denizen, which is floral and lightly sweet, with just enough of funk from the Jamaican rums in their blend to add that perfect savor to a classic Daiquiri #1, and especially to a Daiquiri #3 (which is rum, lime, white grapefruit juice, some syrup, and a dash of maraschino).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also! I decided to bring a bottle of rum to share at my sister's graduation this weekend, so I picked up something I've been eying for a while – Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary Extra Old. Thought I'd share some notes:

Color: Coppery, darker than the 5 year Grande Reserve. Reminiscent of bourbon.
Bouquet: Vanilla custard, some brown sugar, banana bread, and a vague sense of coconut around the edges. The second nosing revealed a bit of cinnamon. Quite a bit, actually.
Palate: Starts with some creamy vanilla, develops into some spice and oak with a very subdued heat, finishes with a good touch of char and a return of the vanilla, with some mild coconut underlying it. Nice rich texture. Sweet, not too cloying, but definitely a dessert-y rum.

Verdict: Nice, a good after dinner rum. I wish I had some of the Grande Reserve lying around to do a side-by-side, but I feel like the 5 year might be more complex than the Extra Old, actually. I feel like all the extra time in the barrels somewhat flattened the characteristic aromatics of Barbados rum, and substituted the more common vanilla and oak barrel flavors. Don't get me wrong – this is a very enjoyable rum. However, I don't think I'll buy it again, considering the price point. Definitely gonna pick up a bottle of the 5 year to compare though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

Cruzan is fine, but sort of boring. I usually mix with Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry. Havana Club is supposed to be excellent, but I've never had it since I live in the US and we've got a silly embargo. Some rum enthusiasts recently did a Daiquiri bracket tournament that resulted in Oronoco getting the top spot for the perfect Daiquiri rum, though when I had an Oronoco Daiquiri at Smuggler's it was totally good, but not some outrageous, incredibly perfect drink.
drat, Virginia ABC only carries Flor de Cana in the 4yr gold and 7yr reserve, and Oronoco is available, but at $36 is pricey for the kind of liquor that I expect to wake and find has been totally plundered at last night's party. Maybe I can find the Extra Dry in Pennsylvania this weekend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

From everything I've heard about liquor in Pennsylvania, don't bet your life on it. You could also try to find Brugal Especial, I've heard good things about that one.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

Cruzan is fine, but sort of boring. I usually mix with Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry. Havana Club is supposed to be excellent, but I've never had it since I live in the US and we've got a silly embargo. Some rum enthusiasts recently did a Daiquiri bracket tournament that resulted in Oronoco getting the top spot for the perfect Daiquiri rum, though when I had an Oronoco Daiquiri at Smuggler's it was totally good, but not some outrageous, incredibly perfect drink. My favorite Daiquiri rum is Denizen, which is floral and lightly sweet, with just enough of funk from the Jamaican rums in their blend to add that perfect savor to a classic Daiquiri #1, and especially to a Daiquiri #3 (which is rum, lime, white grapefruit juice, some syrup, and a dash of maraschino).

This is just what I came here looking for, I need a light rum for mixing summer drinks. I can get Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry nearby so it's perfect. I know little about light rums and only slightly more about darks (normally drink Appleton 12 year and need to expand, but the OP covers that). I had a Havana Club Mojito in Paris earlier in the year and it was pretty drat good. I think when I go back to Europe in the fall, I'm going to buy a bottle and just have drinks in the apartment every night until it's empty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Goons With Spoons Guide to the Rums of the World

This post will compile a list of all rums discussed in this thread which are described in a meaningful way (i.e. tasting notes, reviews, recommendations in cocktails, etc.). Rums which are mentioned but not described will not be included. The links are in chronological order of posts with meaningful content.

For ease of reference, rums are listed in alphabetical order. In cases where distilleries have multiple expressions of different ages, the youngest rums are higher on the list. The name of the rum is followed links to posts in the thread, the letter E or I (to indicate an estate or independent bottling), and the provenance of the rum/s in question. If an age statement is available, it follows the region.

Appleton Estate Extra, 1, 2, E, Jamaica, 12 years

Barbancourt 5 Star, 1, 2, E, Haiti, 8 years

Barbancourt Estate Reserve, 1, E, Haiti, 15 years

Batavia Arrack van Oosten, 1, I, Indonesia

Coruba, 1, 2, 3, E, Jamaica

Don Q. Cristal
, 1, E, Puerto Rico

El Dorado 5-Year, 1, 2, 3, E, Guyana, 5 years

Flor de Caña Extra Dry, 1, 2, 3, E, Nicaragua, 4 years

Flor de Caña Gold, 1, 2, 3, 4, E, Nicaragua, 4 years

J. Wray and Nephew Overproof, 1, 2, 3, 4, E, Jamaica

Lemon Hart Demerara 151, 1, 2, E, Guyana

Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve, 1, 2, 3, I, Barbados, 5 years

Plantation Barbados 20th Anniverary Extra Old, 1, I, Barbados

Smith and Cross, 1, 2, 3, 4, I, Jamaica

e: accidentally posted this too soon. I'll bring it current with the thread soon.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 21, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Reserved.

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Personally, I find the Flor de Cana white dry is an excellent mixer for fruit and daiquiris. Appleton's white is another nice one. Both are quite inexpensive.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Local liquor store recommended the following to try and I want to get any goon opinions on them:

Zafra 21
Plantation Barbados
Botransolra

I currently have Plantation Jamaica right now and like it a lot, so I want to try out the Barbados, but I haven't seen the other two discussed much in the thread. I have pretty little experience with rum but I want to fix that!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I don't know anything about those rums (other than the Plantation Barbados, obv.), so I can't be of any help. Buy one and report back!

I went to Smuggler's Cove the other night and started in on their Rumbustion Society, which means tasting my way through all sort of rums. The first one (the only one I tried that night) was Don Q. Cristal, a clear rum from Puerto Rico. It...was pretty much vodka. The bartender, somewhat apologetically, says that it's one of the rums that's on the list to give a sense of style, not because it's particularly good. He says it's best in a daiquiri, which I can imagine. As I said, the flavor and aroma were so light as to basically not exist. Ah well.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

It's Diageo's competitor to bacardi. Enough said.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I got my roommate hooked on Barbancourt 5 star, so when I saw the 15 year Estate Reserve at my local specialty liquor place I was able to talk him into splitting a bottle with me. This is a wonderful rum.

Spiffy box too.

Color: Pale golden brown, not dissimilar to the 5 star. Attractive, but not remarkable.
Bouquet: Leads with dark leathery tobacco notes, supported by light brown sugar and vanilla around the edges. A second nosing brought up a bit of dried orange peel and wet earth overlaid with light cinnamon.
Palate: Flavor starts with some sweet brown sugar, giving way almost immediately to leather, rubber, and fresh-cut oak. Finish is long and oaky, very long, with some spices making themselves known partway through. Medium bodied, not super thick, but pleasant and full.
Verdict: Barbancourt rums are pretty great, and this is no exception. It makes me want more, certainly. A side-by-side with the 5 star is in order, but from what I can recall I feel like this rum stretches out the experience, with flavors arriving more subtly and slowly, but lasting for days. I'll get it again.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I was in Tenerife recently and a barman swore to me that the only good rum from the Canary Islands is Ron Aldea from La Palma. I bought a bottle of Anejo and it is pretty good for 10 euros. There were shops selling the most popular rum there (Guajiro?) for half that, but he told me that poo poo is nasty.

I still get confused by rum tbh. Just made a daquiri from some white Brugal and that was nice. How is Brugal regarded? Are there any distilleries that make good anejo but nasty white stuff, or vice versa? Are you even going to notice with the white rum if you're dumping a load of lime juice in there?

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Made a trip to BevMo and I think I'm ready for the 4th of July.

I liked the Plantation Barbados when I tasted it last night. Had not planned on buying the Cruzan but my supermarket had it on overstock sale for $8 a bottle. The Appleton and Barbancourt 5 star are at various levels of empty, but I'll make due. I have fresh mint in the garden and simple syrup in the fridge. Not gonna try anything complicated mainly daquiris, old fashioneds and maybe mojitos.

If this isn't enough rum, then we'll be drunk enough to dig out the bottles of Bacardi and Sailor Jerry and who really cares at that point.

Made a test daquiri tonight with the Flor de Cana, was very tasty. A little tart so going to have to add more simple syrup or less lime juice.

Also, what's a decent old fashioned recipe? I see some recipes with and orange slice and maraschino cherries, some without so not sure which way to go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That is a beautiful selection of rums, you and your guests are in for a treat.

If you have some 2:1 simple syrup I like an Old Fashioned with 2 oz. liquor, 1 tsp (or so, to taste) of the syrup, 2 dashes of bitters, and a twist. Barbancourt responds particularly well to this treatment. If you have 1:1 syrup use about 1/4 oz. (i.e. 1.5 tsp). If no syrup, use a tsp of sugar and dissolve it with a small splash of water.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

That is a beautiful selection of rums, you and your guests are in for a treat.

If you have some 2:1 simple syrup I like an Old Fashioned with 2 oz. liquor, 1 tsp (or so, to taste) of the syrup, 2 dashes of bitters, and a twist. Barbancourt responds particularly well to this treatment. If you have 1:1 syrup use about 1/4 oz. (i.e. 1.5 tsp). If no syrup, use a tsp of sugar and dissolve it with a small splash of water.

Thanks, I'll try the recipe tomorrow. And thanks for this thread. I've always liked rum, but never really knew what to do with all the different rums and what to make. Now I've got a nice selection and have stuff to try. Though I need to slow down on trying different combinations of ingredients or I won't have anything left and will be nursing a hangover by the Fourth.

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Arenovalis posted:

I've got this bottle of Ron Zacapa XO sitting in my cupboard for two years now, need an excuse to uncork it.. The 23 year old version is already the best rum I've had and I'd expect this to be a bit better still.

Having tasted both, the XO in my opnion isnt worth the extra cost. If I would have a free choice, I'd take the 23 year old.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the xo is a loving stellar rum and I am pretty jealous of anyone that can afford to have a bottle around the house but I would never buy it since there's kind of a diminishing return with regards to the price/quality increase from the 23

For me its main function is when I'm at a bar already kind of drunk and sentimental with a close friend and I want to show them how much I love them by buying them the best thing in the house

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 4, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You must live near some spectacular bars if they're stocking Zacapa XO.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Kenning posted:

You must live near some spectacular bars if they're stocking Zacapa XO.

I don't know about him but a double handful of bars around here stock XO as well as Gosling's Old Rum and they aren't even rum focused places. Is it actually unusual?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've seen Zacapa 23 at a few places, and Zaya 12, along with the usual suspects of Meyers, Cruzan, and maybe 10 Cane a few places, but that's usually the spread of things. Most place I know save their premium shelf space for Scotch, bourbon, and tequila.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Just finished a bottle of Caroni 1998. A closed distillery from Trinidad with apparently still some barrels around. drat great rum, I find myself lacking in rum vocabulary but this worked just in the right way with me. Sweet but not too much, deep flavours balanced by a smooth mouthfeel. Not too much barrel influence and no overwhelming flavours, a nicely balanced thingy. At around 50€ from the local government monopoly, I think this was a good deal and I'll probably get another bottle.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Kenning posted:

I've seen Zacapa 23 at a few places, and Zaya 12, along with the usual suspects of Meyers, Cruzan, and maybe 10 Cane a few places, but that's usually the spread of things. Most place I know save their premium shelf space for Scotch, bourbon, and tequila.

Maybe its just the sort of places that I frequent but I've noticed a trend of more and more shelf space being dedicated to spirits. Spots that used to just have 20 or so bottles on hand a few years ago now have 50 or more. Also I am posting this from my phone while I sip an old fashioned made using Zacapa XO.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There's certainly a lot more action in the spirits game lately. Hell, I was in this loving dive in Oakland tonight and they had Denizen on their shelf. It was next to a lot of bullshit, but Denizen! That is a fantastic rum.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I grabbed some Smith and Cross based on your recommendation, and you weren't kidding. I've never had anything like this before and it's awesome.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kenning posted:

There's certainly a lot more action in the spirits game lately. Hell, I was in this loving dive in Oakland tonight and they had Denizen on their shelf. It was next to a lot of bullshit, but Denizen! That is a fantastic rum.

Which dive was this? If you don't mind sharing.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

silvergoose posted:

Thanks for posting this! I tried some of the Mount Gay extra old a while back (my Dad was at a conference in Barbados and brought a bottle back) and loved it, so I got a bottle for myself. On the other hand, that's basically the only rum I've had other than some Eclipse once, so this will be excellently helpful in figuring out what other types/bottles I might want to get when I'm not filling out my Scotch and bourbon shelf.

Would you say it's a waste to use extra old (and such premiums) on mixed drinks that you've described, or it will be that much better?

Oh and one last question: Dark 'n Stormies? Waste of rum, delicious drink, what do you think? (and if the latter, what sorts of rum would you suggest that are not either Meyers or Goslings?)

Have to say Dark 'n Stormies is a fantastic drink: The key is to add spices to the Ginger beer .... You can use any rum you want if you are going to add your own spice mix. Otherwise you want something old and dark. eg Ron Zacapa. Otherwise you could go for a non-traditional choice and go a white rum of which the best one I've ever had is Oronoco.

But as sacrilegious as it may seem to be to say, the world's best rum actually comes from Australia. Way back before there was an Australian dollar and before Australia used the British Pound as currency, the legal tender in Australia was RUM!

Australia produced "Inner circle rum" which was not sold to the public but was made available by invitation of the management of the "Colonial Sugar Refinery" only. The top quality rum was the "Green dot Director's Special"... The Green dot has set the record for the highest sever score given at the International Wine and Spirit Competition.

Check from the list below: http://www.robsrum.com/Rums.html

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Glottis posted:

I grabbed some Smith and Cross based on your recommendation, and you weren't kidding. I've never had anything like this before and it's awesome.

I've been trying to find this pretty much since this thread started, and haven't been able to find it anywhere!

In other rum news, I picked up a bottle of Barbancourt 5 Star. It's pretty awesome tasting, you can definitely get the brown sugary/molasses taste out of it. It starts out a little hot, then smooths out with all of these wonderfully rich flavors of sugar and oak. It finishes very dry though, and ends up coming off as a little harsh because of it.

I probably would have enjoyed drinking it neat, but I probably ruined that by finishing a bottle of Zaya not too long ago. Kenning wasn't kidding though, it really does make a fantastic old-fashioned. I've been adding the juice of 1/2 lime to mine, and it's basically perfect.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah Barbancourt and Zaya are definitely on different poles of the rum spectrum. I get why Zaya's so popular, and it's a respectable rum, but I'd probably only buy it on a steep discount because it's a little bit too sweet and too vanilla for me. It's a great thing to use on people who either don't like spirits at all, or who you're trying to wean off of lovely spiced rums. Very affordable for the quality, too.

Also, where do you live? Are you in some state liquor monopoly hell?

Shbobdb posted:

Which dive was this? If you don't mind sharing.

The Layover at 15th and Franklin. My buddy was playing a set there. They may have also had some Smith and Cross on the shelf – that's been popping up in some unexpected places as well. Of course if you're in Oakland Smuggler's Cove is just across the Bay. I was there last night and I witnessed a guy ask for "rum on the rocks." The bartender responded that he had over 400 rums, and the dude said, "Whatever you recommend." The bartender ended up giving him their house special reserve, which is a blend of El Dorado rums, but it was pretty funny.

Hypation posted:

Have to say Dark 'n Stormies is a fantastic drink: The key is to add spices to the Ginger beer .... You can use any rum you want if you are going to add your own spice mix. Otherwise you want something old and dark. eg Ron Zacapa. Otherwise you could go for a non-traditional choice and go a white rum of which the best one I've ever had is Oronoco.

But as sacrilegious as it may seem to be to say, the world's best rum actually comes from Australia. Way back before there was an Australian dollar and before Australia used the British Pound as currency, the legal tender in Australia was RUM!

Australia produced "Inner circle rum" which was not sold to the public but was made available by invitation of the management of the "Colonial Sugar Refinery" only. The top quality rum was the "Green dot Director's Special"... The Green dot has set the record for the highest sever score given at the International Wine and Spirit Competition.

Check from the list below: http://www.robsrum.com/Rums.html

I've heard soooo much good about Green Dot Inner Circle but I guess you just can't find it anywhere, huh? I would be super into trying some.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 11, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, I grabbed some Zaya at Costco when it was $22 and it's just so drat sweet, but a good deal at that price I guess.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenning posted:

Yeah Barbancourt and Zaya are definitely on different poles of the rum spectrum. I get why Zaya's so popular, and it's a respectable rum, but I'd probably only buy it on a steep discount because it's a little bit too sweet and too vanilla for me. It's a great thing to use on people who either don't like spirits at all, or who you're trying to wean off of lovely spiced rums. Very affordable for the quality, too.

Yea, Zaya was my first foray into real rums.. I've only ever really had (and hated) Captain Morgans. Zaya was sweet for sure, but I really enjoyed it.

I live in So Cal man.. I figured it'd be easy to go find this, just like it is everything else.. but I can't find it anywhere! I'm gonna keep poking around, I'm sure I'll find it someday.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Capt. Awesome posted:

Yea, Zaya was my first foray into real rums.. I've only ever really had (and hated) Captain Morgans. Zaya was sweet for sure, but I really enjoyed it.

I live in So Cal man.. I figured it'd be easy to go find this, just like it is everything else.. but I can't find it anywhere! I'm gonna keep poking around, I'm sure I'll find it someday.

If you're in the LA area, apparently http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=10281 (West LA) has Smith and Cross. I had been kinda looking for it myself and just saw this today. Sadly it's 30 miles from me and I was just over that way on Monday. Wish I would have seen this earlier. There's also http://www.winehouse.com/product.php?sku=5021692500949&d=LIQUOR (again West LA) and http://www.hitimewine.net/SMITH-and-CROSS-JAMAICA-RUM-750.html (Costa Mesa).

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Kenning posted:

The Layover at 15th and Franklin. My buddy was playing a set there. They may have also had some Smith and Cross on the shelf – that's been popping up in some unexpected places as well. Of course if you're in Oakland Smuggler's Cove is just across the Bay. I was there last night and I witnessed a guy ask for "rum on the rocks." The bartender responded that he had over 400 rums, and the dude said, "Whatever you recommend." The bartender ended up giving him their house special reserve, which is a blend of El Dorado rums, but it was pretty funny.

I've heard soooo much good about Green Dot Inner Circle but I guess you just can't find it anywhere, huh? I would be super into trying some.

For Green Dot:

Try here (nicks stock it and do international orders): http://www.nicks.com.au/Product/View/Inner-Circle-Green-Dot-Over-Proof-Rum-(700ml)/474412

or here for a list of other places you can get it: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-134959-0000-inner-circle-green-dot-rum-queensland-australia

Chancellors Cellars also stock it and do international orders - but they are overpriced: http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchant/4328?wine_id_F=3706351&from_page_F=WSL

Also note that Green dot was made publicly available in 1970 (anything prior to that date you could buy a house with) and CSR sold Inner Circle in 1986 so anything before 1986 is highly collectable.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ltr posted:

If you're in the LA area, apparently http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=10281 (West LA) has Smith and Cross. I had been kinda looking for it myself and just saw this today. Sadly it's 30 miles from me and I was just over that way on Monday. Wish I would have seen this earlier. There's also http://www.winehouse.com/product.php?sku=5021692500949&d=LIQUOR (again West LA) and http://www.hitimewine.net/SMITH-and-CROSS-JAMAICA-RUM-750.html (Costa Mesa).

When in doubt, Hi Times. I love that place and go there pretty much every time I'm in the area.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
So, how about bottom-shelf rums? My town is pretty much a Bacardi wasteland since privatization but each store has it's own variety of cheap-as-poo poo rum. Under $15 retail (not including insane WA spirits taxes) we've got: Lewis and Clark, Monarch, King's Bay, Potter's, Montego Bay, Barbarosa, Kozi Bay, Trader Vic's, Cruzan, Shellback and Admiral Nelson. I've got the Cruzan Aged and it's not terrible at all so I'll try the Black Strap version soon. But the rest of them seem like a total crapshoot and finding anything on the web about them is hit and miss.

I did find a tribal store about 30 minutes away that carries a better selection so I'm planning to stop there any time I'm passing by: Mount Gay Eclipse, Appleton Estate V/X, Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Special, Pyrat XO and Ron Zacapa 23.

Sadly the local private store had the best selection before privatization but decided not to restock any of it. I got a bottle of Pusser's which I loved but missed out on some others like Angostura.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought Smith and Cross at Barkeeper in Los Angeles http://www.barkeepersilverlake.com/ and have also seen it at Total Wine in Sacramento and Hi-time in Costa Mesa. Hi-Time also has $10 shipping if you are in CA, NV or AZ. I'm getting ready to order another bottle, it really is incredible stuff.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Cpt.Wacky posted:

So, how about bottom-shelf rums? My town is pretty much a Bacardi wasteland since privatization but each store has it's own variety of cheap-as-poo poo rum. Under $15 retail (not including insane WA spirits taxes) we've got: Lewis and Clark, Monarch, King's Bay, Potter's, Montego Bay, Barbarosa, Kozi Bay, Trader Vic's, Cruzan, Shellback and Admiral Nelson. I've got the Cruzan Aged and it's not terrible at all so I'll try the Black Strap version soon. But the rest of them seem like a total crapshoot and finding anything on the web about them is hit and miss.

I did find a tribal store about 30 minutes away that carries a better selection so I'm planning to stop there any time I'm passing by: Mount Gay Eclipse, Appleton Estate V/X, Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Special, Pyrat XO and Ron Zacapa 23.

Sadly the local private store had the best selection before privatization but decided not to restock any of it. I got a bottle of Pusser's which I loved but missed out on some others like Angostura.

As some say in Straya .... Bundy on - but then Bundy is almost as expensive as Green Dot- $30-40 per bottle. But watch out for the drop bears.

Bundy works unless your mission is to get teenage girls drunk for which you must use Bacardi.

Rum really isn't cheaper than that over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impression bundy can't even be legally sold as rum overseas due to our lax appellation laws wrt rum or is that an urban legend?

Either way inner circle is a good drop but its pretty laughable to say some of the worlds best rum comes from here when those are the only two major players. Even the mt tambourine distillery's crack at a gold rum was pretty weak and they're the most consistent small distiller I buy from around here

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 17, 2013

• Locked thread