Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Hi rum connoisseurs! I recently purchased a bottle of Pussers, and enjoyed the hell out of it both neat, and in Dark and Stormies. Can you recommend me another, more flavourful rum? Previously, I've only really drunk Bundaberg, which is essentially lighter fluid when compared to the Pussers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Hi rum connoisseurs! I recently purchased a bottle of Pussers, and enjoyed the hell out of it both neat, and in Dark and Stormies. Can you recommend me another, more flavourful rum? Previously, I've only really drunk Bundaberg, which is essentially lighter fluid when compared to the Pussers.

Gosling Black Seal is the official rum for Dark and Stormies but any dark rum is going to have more intense flavor than Pusser's (which I love). Kraken is a little sweeter, Captain Morgan Black has more oak. Cruzan Black Strap doesn't quite work for me neat but mixes well enough. These are reasonably cheap and widespread dark rums. You can check the OP for more recommendations of higher-end and somewhat harder to locate stuff.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Rum lessons I learned this weekend:

1) Don Q Cristal is an awful, awful rum. I'm just going to treat this like a vodka from now on (that's pretty much what it tastes like).

2) The painkiller is a sweet mess of a mixed drink. I'd take a well made pina colada over this any day.

3) A 151 swizzle is hard to beat. Please make this drink if you haven't already. Don't think of using Bacardi 151. Only Lemon Hart 151 for this. The dash of Angostura and the few drops of pastis make this drink.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey Australians (or anyone else forced to suffer the presence of Bundaberg rum), does Bundaberg's premium output increase in any sufficient measure of quality? I'm curious but I'm not curious enough to spend money on some without tasting it or having a solid idea of what to expect.

I made the terrible mistake of ordering a rum and coke at a bar earlier this year after forgetting that I was no longer in the UK and the house rum was going to be Bundy. Not even coke can disguise the taste of evil. :argh:

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Hey Australians (or anyone else forced to suffer the presence of Bundaberg rum)

For the sake of those who have never been to Australia, please note that Bundaberg rum is a type of rum, and Charlene is a girl's name.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

bolo yeung posted:

Rum lessons I learned this weekend:

1) Don Q Cristal is an awful, awful rum. I'm just going to treat this like a vodka from now on (that's pretty much what it tastes like).

2) The painkiller is a sweet mess of a mixed drink. I'd take a well made pina colada over this any day.

3) A 151 swizzle is hard to beat. Please make this drink if you haven't already. Don't think of using Bacardi 151. Only Lemon Hart 151 for this. The dash of Angostura and the few drops of pastis make this drink.

Don Q Cristal is vodka. So is Bacardi. They call themselves rums, but they could call themselves vodka if they wanted.

Where did you get your Painkiller? Or did you make it yourself? Because it's the same thing as a Piña Colada, just with a more flavorful rum (Pussers/golden English instead of light Spanish) and a bit of orange juice, plus a grating of nutmeg.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I made the painkiller myself with a ratio of 1:1 rum:pineapple juice. I see some versions use 4 parts pineapple to 2 parts rum, and I just can't imagine how extremely sweet that would be. I understand it's very similar to a pina colada, which is why I referenced it. I guess I find my pina coladas more drinkable since I use way too much rum in them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Literally made this up because it was what was on hand, and I'm curious a. if it exists with a name and b. what ratios you'd think works.

White rum
Pineapple juice
Pear nectar
Slice of white peach

Basically, very light fruity stuff, my wife definitely prefers things on that end. Too much fruit conflicting with eachother? What do you think? For reference, she had a 1-2-3 ratio and I had a 2-2-3. I think it's a little weak rum-wise.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Rum is disgusting, sickly sweet crap that's best left to the college kids at frat parties who don't know any better. I can feel the puke welling up in the back of my throat just thinking about the stuff.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Rum is disgusting, sickly sweet crap that's best left to the college kids at frat parties who don't know any better. I can feel the puke welling up in the back of my throat just thinking about the stuff.

Thanks for sharing your valuable and insightful opinion on how all rum, despite coming from a wide variety of countries and representing a wide variety of production techniques is all sickly sweet crap.

Your opinion clearly trumps international tasting tribunals, classic cocktails, marketing trends, and pretty much 300 years of history of the British Navy.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that all rums, including rums that could only be described as gin like and dry are in fact, sickly sweet and vomit inducing.

Your valuable commentary in the rum thread, dedicated to the appreciation of rum is oh gently caress it I can't even pretend, you're a loving moron.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He's right though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

He's right though.

Anything for me? I basically know nothing about mixing rum other than D&S.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
After pouring an unmeasured amount of off-brand rum into whatever soda I happened to have lying around while drinking alone in my postcollege bachelor's apartment, I too have decided that rum is gross.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Anything for me? I basically know nothing about mixing rum other than D&S.

I was joking, he's a total maroon. As for mixing, what do you have/like? There are a number of different choices, depending on whether you like nice dark, funky Jamaicans or light, crisp Cuban-style rums, or rich, floral Barbados/Trinidadian stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

I was joking, he's a total maroon. As for mixing, what do you have/like? There are a number of different choices, depending on whether you like nice dark, funky Jamaicans or light, crisp Cuban-style rums, or rich, floral Barbados/Trinidadian stuff.

Have: Cuban-style white rum, pineapple juice, can acquire various Goya nectars and potentially others, as well as any regular fruit juice or lemon, lime, other actual fruit
Like: Again, this is primarily for the wife, she greatly enjoyed (for example) pear nectar, pineapple juice, white rum in rough ratios of lots, some, little, shaken with ice, strained

Note that I don't necessarily want to *mask* the rum, just make it so it is designed as a fruity light drink, for sure.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

silvergoose posted:

Have: Cuban-style white rum, pineapple juice, can acquire various Goya nectars and potentially others, as well as any regular fruit juice or lemon, lime, other actual fruit
Like: Again, this is primarily for the wife, she greatly enjoyed (for example) pear nectar, pineapple juice, white rum in rough ratios of lots, some, little, shaken with ice, strained

Note that I don't necessarily want to *mask* the rum, just make it so it is designed as a fruity light drink, for sure.

I hate to dickride one type of rum, but look into El Dorado 12. It's from Guyana, and it's got a heavy sweetness and natural spice to it that I'm in love with. Mixes great with fruit juice or soda (especially vanilla Coke) but it's also smooth enough to drink neat. I paid 23 bucks for a bottle, which isn't bad for something that I can drink neat and not feel bad about using as a mixer.

For instance, tonight I mixed it with Campari and orange juice, and Campari and grapefruit juice. The flavor profile stood up well in both drinks, and was very easy to drink. One of my bosses from Peru likes mixing rum with passion fruit juice, so if you can find any of that he highly recommends it as a mixer.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, I managed to find some Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star at my local ABC store lately (if you live in NC, they have it in promo boxes with a glass right now for about $25). I'm trying to develop a taste for spirits, but I'm basically clueless about making actual decent drinks. If anyone's got a good, simple recipe for an Old Fashioned that would rock, or any other drinks that would work well with 5 Star.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The Gate posted:

So, I managed to find some Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star at my local ABC store lately (if you live in NC, they have it in promo boxes with a glass right now for about $25). I'm trying to develop a taste for spirits, but I'm basically clueless about making actual decent drinks. If anyone's got a good, simple recipe for an Old Fashioned that would rock, or any other drinks that would work well with 5 Star.

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Simple syrup to taste, I usually put in just enough to coat the bottom of the glass. 3-5 drops of bitters and some rum. Add a twist of lemon or orange if you like.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I've had very pleasant results from Havana club, honey and Agnostura. It's not an old fashioned, but it's like an old fashioned.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

tarbrush posted:

I've had very pleasant results from Havana club, honey and Agnostura. It's not an old fashioned, but it's like an old fashioned.

it's effectively an old fashioned. Try cane syrup and peychauds.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Simple syrup to taste, I usually put in just enough to coat the bottom of the glass. 3-5 drops of bitters and some rum. Add a twist of lemon or orange if you like.

Nice, thanks! I think my original mistake was not adding enough simple syrup and too much bitters.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Avast ye rum drinkers! I've been feeling on a rum kick the past few outings I've been in and I've been trying to branch out. First I grabbed some Kraken and Captain Morgan and liked both. Especially Kraken. Last night I had a friend help me through a bottle of Mount Gay white rum because I heard Mount Gay was good somewhere. All of them were mixed with Coke but man are they nice. I honestly think rum is replacing whiskey as my go to liquor. Gin will always be my favourite, but rum is getting up there.

Are there any other mid-range rums I should try? I'm thinking of grabbing some gold Mount Gay next time unless there's a better option. Selection is in Australia and up to around AU$50.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Hey Australians (or anyone else forced to suffer the presence of Bundaberg rum), does Bundaberg's premium output increase in any sufficient measure of quality? I'm curious but I'm not curious enough to spend money on some without tasting it or having a solid idea of what to expect.

Short answer: nope. They've done some interesting twists on bundy, and I even drank most of the bottle of the dark oak I got given for world class neat, but they've still got that very distinctive medicinal bundy flavour underneath any subtlety actual ageing has imparted.

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 15, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Avast ye rum drinkers! I've been feeling on a rum kick the past few outings I've been in and I've been trying to branch out. First I grabbed some Kraken and Captain Morgan and liked both. Especially Kraken. Last night I had a friend help me through a bottle of Mount Gay white rum because I heard Mount Gay was good somewhere. All of them were mixed with Coke but man are they nice. I honestly think rum is replacing whiskey as my go to liquor. Gin will always be my favourite, but rum is getting up there.

Are there any other mid-range rums I should try? I'm thinking of grabbing some gold Mount Gay next time unless there's a better option. Selection is in Australia and up to around AU$50.

Man, from all I know about Australian liquor prices, $50 is pricing you pretty low in the market. I don't know what Inner Circle costs down there, but the Green Dot bottling is supposed to be world class.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kenning posted:

Man, from all I know about Australian liquor prices, $50 is pricing you pretty low in the market. I don't know what Inner Circle costs down there, but the Green Dot bottling is supposed to be world class.

Ooh, I'll have to grab a bottle. Funnily enough, Green Dot is $50. It seems rum is far more reasonable than, say, tequila here.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, Green Dot is domestic, and all tequila is being shipped from the other side of the Earth, so that's probably part of it.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

syntaxfunction posted:

Coruba is good. You can get it from Dan Murphy's for $36 a bottle.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Drinkin' some mojitos with bacardi silver. Judge me all you want, poo poo's good. If I could get Flor de can~a or some cubano rum from the place next to my house I would. But I can't. I can, however, get some bangin' mint.

liddl ninja
Jan 17, 2013
To get a hangover you need to stop drinking
Just picked up a Pyrat XO reserve. Should I drink it straight or do yo guys have any good recipes for me to test out? Thanks

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I have 5-6 spiced rums sitting around my house, due to guest leaving them here. My hope is to only keep the two I like best. Any drink suggestions to help narrow down which spiced rums I like the best?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

liddl ninja posted:

Just picked up a Pyrat XO reserve. Should I drink it straight or do yo guys have any good recipes for me to test out? Thanks

Thanks to this thread I've discovered the Rum Old Fashioned. Pyrat XO makes a really good old fashioned. Before this thread I always just sipped it neat or with a couple ice cubes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Seconding the Coruba recommendation, probably my favourite dark rum. If you're after something lighter, I quite enjoy the Angostura 5 year old, especially in rum twists on things like the Old Fashioned or the Manhattan. Angostura 5 in a Manhattan is really, really nice.

Report back if you do track down a bottle of Inner Circle Green Spot as well, I'd like to hear more about it since I keep eyeing up a bottle in my local Dan Murphy's.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Trying to buy some Demerara rum here in Australia sucks. The only place I can find any at all is at quittintime, where the 5 year old is $75. Back in Amsterdam, where I used to live, the same bottle is less than 18 euro ($26). Such a disappointing rip-off!

Bubz fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 26, 2013

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thoroughly enjoying Kracken Spiced, so many different flavours all in one bottle! :3:

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Won a bottle of Brugal 1888 today. Thick and sweet, but very nice indeed!

Another thing, is Pyrat XO spiced? I had some in a Docklands bar last weekend, very very sweet and citrusy, up to the point where I don't think it can be a natural maturation anymore, but the bartender was adamant it wasn't a spiced one.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Unfortunately it's a bit late in the season for this drink, but this is what I had a ton of this summer:

Henry 'Box' Brown from Hop Sing Laundromat in Philly (made at home since I'm in CA)
- 3oz fresh squeezed red grape juice
- 2oz El Dorado 15
- Big rear end ice cube

The only problem is that you have to use a lot of grapes to get 3oz. Totally worth it though.

Now that it's getting a bit harder to get good red grapes I'm moving to the Smith and Cross Old Fashioned (using Angostura Orange bitters and demerara sugar).

Kenning, any idea what I could do with Hazelnut Rum?

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Bubz posted:

Trying to buy some Demerara rum here in Australia sucks. The only place I can find any at all is at quittintime, where the 5 year old is $75. Back in Amsterdam, where I used to live, the same bottle is less than 18 euro ($26). Such a disappointing rip-off!

You can get El Dorado from https://www.nicks.com.au Otherwise, as you've noticed, the pickings can be a little slim.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have bow tried a few different rums. First, Mount Gay, both gold and silver, are fantastic. Probably my favourite non-spiced rums. Spiced, Kraken is probably my favourite and Captain Morgan was okay but not outstanding. I grabbed Inner Circle Green Dot on recommendation of this thread and was disappointed frankly. It was strong (At 57.2% ABV) but was very Bundy styled. Not terrible but just average.

I am really liking rum lately.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

The Polish Pirate posted:

Unfortunately it's a bit late in the season for this drink, but this is what I had a ton of this summer:

Henry 'Box' Brown from Hop Sing Laundromat in Philly (made at home since I'm in CA)
- 3oz fresh squeezed red grape juice
- 2oz El Dorado 15
- Big rear end ice cube

The only problem is that you have to use a lot of grapes to get 3oz. Totally worth it though.

That drink inspires something resembling an embolism in my Philly friends. My hat is off to them for having the balls to put it on a menu, call it a cocktail, and charge $12 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

So I have bow tried a few different rums. First, Mount Gay, both gold and silver, are fantastic. Probably my favourite non-spiced rums. Spiced, Kraken is probably my favourite and Captain Morgan was okay but not outstanding. I grabbed Inner Circle Green Dot on recommendation of this thread and was disappointed frankly. It was strong (At 57.2% ABV) but was very Bundy styled. Not terrible but just average.

I am really liking rum lately.

You can't really sip something like Inner Circle, usually. It'll be too hot and the funk – which is its true asset – will be messed up. I strongly recommend making an Old Fashioned with it, and letting it get very cold, then sipping. Bundy has funk, but no refinement. Green Dot is sophisticated, and funky.

• Locked thread