Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

If you like the Barbancourt 8 year then you'll love the 15. It's a very similar flavor profile, just fuller and more refined. I would get that and the Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve, since the Grande Reserve (the 5 year) is fairly inexpensive. If instead you mean the Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary then I would recommend Ron Zacapa. Nothing against the 20th Anniversary, it's just quite sweet and mellow, and I prefer Spanish rums for that sort of style.

Yeah I did mean the Plantation 20th. So I'll get either the Zacapa or the Barbancourt then. What's the Zacapa like?

Unfortunately this place didn't have the mid range versions of a lot of these rums, ie the Barbancourt 8yr, Plantation Barbados 5yr, El Dorado 5yr, etc. Also they had the Flor de Cana Gold, 7yr, and 12yr, but not the Extra Dry, so I think that means I'll have to go with Cruzan for a light rum. Though I gotta say, I don't love the Flor 7yr, it's a bit too floral for my liking, I think.

I'm now up to 5 bottles of rum in my collection and I have you assholes to thank for that. I was happy in my Captain Morgan ignorance. :colbert: (I kid, this threads been a great help; I love that I'm finally branching out when it comes to liquor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Viperix posted:

I'm now up to 5 bottles of rum in my collection and I have you assholes to thank for that. I was happy in my Captain Morgan ignorance. :colbert: (I kid, this threads been a great help; I love that I'm finally branching out when it comes to liquor.)

Seriously though. Between this, the whiskey, and the cocktail thread, I'm bordering on full blown alcoholism. Thanks a lot assholes! At least I'm getting there in style!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yay!

Viperix posted:

Yeah I did mean the Plantation 20th. So I'll get either the Zacapa or the Barbancourt then. What's the Zacapa like?

Unfortunately this place didn't have the mid range versions of a lot of these rums, ie the Barbancourt 8yr, Plantation Barbados 5yr, El Dorado 5yr, etc. Also they had the Flor de Cana Gold, 7yr, and 12yr, but not the Extra Dry, so I think that means I'll have to go with Cruzan for a light rum. Though I gotta say, I don't love the Flor 7yr, it's a bit too floral for my liking, I think.

If you actively dislike the floral flavors you won't really end up caring for any of the Flor de Caña offerings, especially not the white, since that's pretty much all it has going for it (which I think is enough for a nice mixing white).

The Zacapa is very plush. It's sweeter than the Barbancourt for sure, but not quite as treacly as the 20th Anniversary Plantation Barbados, and not as heavy vanilla as the Zaya (which is pleasant, but one-note). I haven't had the opportunity to try the older El Dorado offerings, so I can't speak to those. It's a Spanish rum, which means its body is on the lighter side, and the flavors tend more towards brown sugar, oak, and spice. Zacapa 23 is the winngest rum at international competitions, though I personally like Barbancourt 15 more (but I'm quite partial to Barbancourt). If you're just getting into rum it might be nice to try something different, rather than just an older expression of something you already know you like.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I finally bit the bullet and bought the Zacapa and it is amazing. I honestly didn't know rum/liquor could taste like that - you can almost barely tell it's hard liquor. That brings my collection up to 6 bottles. I think... I think I need to stop buying rum for a while.

Whoever earlier said Cruzan is a bit... simple, was right. It makes a nice, light, refreshing Daiquiri though. And speaking of Daiquiri's, I really don't dislike the Flor 7 year in a Daiquiri, the floral-ness is balanced out nicely by the lime and sugar. My experience with Daiquiris is consistent with what others have said though, any good rum = a good Daiquiri. Next I'd like to try either a rum Manhattan or Martini. Just need to find smaller bottles of vermouth since it would take me way too long to kill a regular one.

(Also who am I kidding, two of those bottles are almost empty and I'm going to have to replace them. Once you've had a rum for every occasion...)

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So rumdate:

First off, on behalf of my wallet, gently caress you guys. Seriously:

That, being said, the Flor is seriously growing on me. In fact, the 12 year has been bumped up higher on my list to try and I've found a store with Extra Dry so thats up next when the Cruzan runs out. I mean, compared to a couple months ago the Flor has become a favorite. The Wray and Nephew overproof is really interesting. I actually like it, but it is definitely something. I couldn't find any decent grapefruit soda so I could only try Squirt, but I quite liked it none-the-less. It'll be a good summer drink. Pussers is also interesting. I like it also but it's a bit harsh on it's own. Interestingly, it reminds a lot of the funk that the Jamaican rums have versus the Eclipse Barbados rum I've got. Is that normal? Either way it's a great, hearty rum and coke rum. The Barbancourt has a bitter quality that I didn't notice at first and while I can still sip it, I've found it better with a little ice and/or water. My Eclipse is almost empty though, so I'm looking for suggestions on which to replace it with. But honestly, since I can't find Plantation Barbados GR locally, that might be the first rum I replace with the same bottle. Speaking of which I've found a local store with the Mt Gay White, what do people think of that? The Myers is almost gone as well, but Pussers is a nice alternative for rum and cokes, so I don't know if I'll replace that right away. Might pick up a bottle of Appleton VX just to round things out though. The Zacapa remains excellent, but at $50 a bottle, I'm certainly making last.

Also, I almost bought a bottle of Oronoco rum since I've heard very good things about it and it's supposedly not being made anymore, but then I decided I A) didn't need to spend $40 on rum right now, and B) what if I really liked it and couldn't buy anymore?

PS I'm quite fond of an Atomic Daiquiri. The Wray and Nephew was a good addition to my collection. Though next up I'll have to give the Lemon Hart 151 a go. (Speaking of which I know I said my local rum selection was limited, but I've done some more scouting around and found that the only rums I haven't found locally are Plantation Barbados GR, El Dorado 5(though I can find the 12 and 15, and from the descriptions I'm quite keen on trying at least any of El Dorado offerings.) and Smith and Cross. I could also try the Zaya 12, the Flor 12, the Appleton 12, and the Eclipse XO. So many choices when the Zacapa runs out.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Viperix posted:

Pussers is also interesting. I like it also but it's a bit harsh on it's own. Interestingly, it reminds a lot of the funk that the Jamaican rums have versus the Eclipse Barbados rum I've got. Is that normal? Either way it's a great, hearty rum and coke rum. [..] The Myers is almost gone as well, but Pussers is a nice alternative for rum and cokes, so I don't know if I'll replace that right away.

Pussers Rum was the rum the British Royal Navy's rum ration (up untill 1970 the day of the last tot was nicknamed by the sailors as Black Day), back in the gun powder era it use to a 'navy strength' variety which is 57% ABV (100° English proof), being the traditional strength demanded by the British Royal Navy because if you spilt some on the gunpowder it'd still light. The officers however had Navy Strength Plymouth Gin.

quote:

In the decades leading up to "The Black Day", it became common for Royal Navy Sailors to give a portion of their rum ration to a shipmate on their birthday, or for a favour. The donor would indicate how much he was allowing the other to take with one of the following phrases:
"Sippers" - Take a Sip.
"Gulpers" - Take a Gulp.
"Sandy Bottoms" - Drink it all.

Anyway, yeah it's pretty strong flavour like a lot of the 'proper navy rums'. Forbes magazine nicknamed it "Single Malt of Rum" and named it one of the world's top 10 premier rums but I can't find the article so can't tell if that is a lie or not. It's pretty drat strong taste almost burnt but if you treat it like a single malt (add a little bit of filtered water) it becomes a whole new rum. Being the price of single malt whiskey in the UK we tend to not add it to coke but I beat it does make one hell of a good rum and coke where you can taste the rum!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Pusser's is still made in the same 200 year old wooden pot stills that the Royal Navy used too.

a drink or two
Oct 21, 2008
Hello rum thread, what should I buy next? Tried (sipping): Havana 7 (good, my standard), Zacapa 23 (amazing), Smith & Cross (I "get" it but too dark/rough for me I think, maybe I'll have acquired the taste by the end of the bottle). Thinking either the Havana 7 equivalent from another producer or something really different - any ideas?

Selection is pretty good, will probably go here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-339.aspx to pick something up; trying to stay in the 25-35 pound range.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Smith & Cross is indeed pretty rough for sipping. You should try it in an old fashioned.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
If you guys haven't already, get on caskers.com and sign up. Legal Mail Order Liquor? Don't mind if I do.

Just got me a bottle of Dictador 20 yr Solera and Clement 7 yr Rhum Agricole.

Can't wait to crack these bad boys open.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

a drink or two posted:

Hello rum thread, what should I buy next? Tried (sipping): Havana 7 (good, my standard), Zacapa 23 (amazing), Smith & Cross (I "get" it but too dark/rough for me I think, maybe I'll have acquired the taste by the end of the bottle). Thinking either the Havana 7 equivalent from another producer or something really different - any ideas?

Selection is pretty good, will probably go here: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-339.aspx to pick something up; trying to stay in the 25-35 pound range.

Smith and Cross should be used in an Old Fashioned if you wanna experience it most directly. Neat is too hot generally.

Your next buy should be Plantation Barbados 5 Year Old Grand Reserve, which looks like it's 25 pounds. Also try Barbancourt 5 Star (8 years). Those are two styles you haven't tried out yet, and they'll get you familiar with some nice stuff that's not too expensive. Also consider Batavia Arrack van Oosten to try a rum relative. That one is great in punch.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Anyone had Brugal 1888 or Extra Viejo? I've had my eye on both for a while now but can't decide whether to pull the trigger.

Viperix posted:

My Eclipse is almost empty though, so I'm looking for suggestions on which to replace it with. But honestly, since I can't find Plantation Barbados GR locally, that might be the first rum I replace with the same bottle. Speaking of which I've found a local store with the Mt Gay White, what do people think of that? The Myers is almost gone as well, but Pussers is a nice alternative for rum and cokes, so I don't know if I'll replace that right away.

Since I'm naming random Brugal things I suggest the regular Brugal Anejo to replace that Eclipse. I think the price is about the same and it has a very distinctive sugarcane flavor. Also I find Myers dark rum to be totally disgusting, but Gosling Black Seal is a cheaper and far more delicious black rum that you would do well to obtain if you're into that.

And also. I noticed from your older post that you have Pyrat available for a measly 20 bucks. That's one of my favorites and I wildly recommend it. The acetone smell is a bit heavy but I don't mind that in a rum. It's very sweet, almost fruity, very different from any others that I've had. I haven't had anything that I liked better at the same price point.

krustster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 27, 2014

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I was sailing around the Virgin Islands and decided to pick up some rums that I rarely see at home.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man you are in for a treat with that Barbancourt.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Anyone know what style of rum comes from Suriname?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just did a bit of research, the only firm I see operating right now is Surinam Alcoholic Beverages, and reading the copy on their website, as well as some stuff on Ministry of Rum, it seems like they're doing the contemporary Spanish-style thing. They mention filtering, and dedicate a lot of copy to the American whiskey barrels that the stuff gets aged in. I'd say it's gonna be somewhat similar to Cruzan and Bacardi, though the nicer expressions may have some of that Central American-style plushness to them. It's too bad. I was hoping that as a former Dutch colony they'd have an appreciation for funk the way the English do (the Dutch and the English have a lot of drinking culture in common). Alternatively, being surrounded by Francophone countries, they might have gone the agricultural route and made some nice cane juice spirits. But no, it's molasses, column stills, filtering, and barrels.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
No-one seems to be stocking Stroh 80 anymore. Anyone know why?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Man you are in for a treat with that Barbancourt.

I normally drink El Dorado 21 or Angosture 1824 for a sipping rum. This was a delicious and wonderful change. It has more spice to the taste, and some interesting nuances. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I'm going here this weekend. Anything in particular I should look out for? I'm already eyeing the 5yr El Dorado because I can't find it locally and have never tried an El Dorado, but have heard many good things. But I also see Plantation Barbados 5yr, Smith and Cross, and a few Martiniques(holy poo poo, $110 for a bottle of Rhum JM Vieux). The OP mentions Coruba, Myers, and Appleton for Jamaicans, but are there any other good examples of Jamaican rums? I've tried both Myers and Appleton already, and I can't find Coruba anywhere around here.

Also my most recent buy is a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 and it is amazing.

Edit: Is Plantation 3 Stars Silver any good? It's a new addition to a local store and reviews online seem decent.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 27, 2014

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

El Dorado 5 is killer, especially for the price. Whatever you do, just make sure that you get a bottle of Smith and Cross. Actually, buy two because there is no other rum that I've had that can even compare. So stinky and awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smith and Cross is my desert island spirit.

Also though, you should consider a Barbancourt. 5-star/8 year or Estate Reserve/15 year. For those prices I would probably go for the 15. I think that's a rum that any serious enthusiast needs to have tried. Also consider Mt. Gay Extra Old for another refined sipper, one that's more plush.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 28, 2014

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
El Dorado and Smith and Cross it is, then. I think that'd be about my budget limit.

I already have bottles of the 8 year Barbancourt, and Mt. Gay Eclipse, so I'd rather try a new variety. Plus I can find the older varieties locally, and cheaper.

(Barbancourt is definitely a favorite though, and I am quite keen on trying the 15 year when the time comes.)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Cruzan Single Barrel, pictured a few posts above, is also an extremely delicious and easily available sipper, usually around $25-30.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Smith and Cross is the poo poo.

That is all.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Smith and also Cross is not available in my area.

that is all,,

*sips cruzan single barrel*

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I wanted to buy things I couldn't find locally, and I can find Cruzan Single Barrel around here, so it's going to have to wait. It's high on my list, however. My Flor 4 year Dry and Barb. 8 year are almost gone and I don't think I can live without either of those, so something new will have to wait, unfortunately. Although, I just counted now and my rum shelf is up to a dozen bottles, so I don't think I have anything to complain about.

As a side note, that liquor store I went to had a free tasting shelf with quite a large selection, so I've now managed to try a half dozen more rums including Plantation Barbados 20th, Leblon, Pussers 15 year, and a $70 Clement Martinque(I don't remember which one, specifically.) The Plantation 20th is definitely going on my list of bottles to add to my collection. Pussers 15 is what you'd expect: a smoother version of the standard Pussers. After only one tasting I couldn't honestly say it was worth the cost over the regular, however. The Clement was interesting. I. personally, didn't see where the $70 price tag came from, but it certainly wasn't like other rums. I can see the potential in a cocktail. However, I'll probably just try a cheaper Martinique to start. Leblon is definitely very grassy and not a sipper, but once again I can see a lot of potential in a nice summer cocktail(I know Leblon isn't necessarily a premium cachaça, but it's all you're going to find around here.)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Those all sound pretty good. One of the key liquor stores here closed, and as a result my rum selection has become pretty limited. Which is too bad, because it's really my favorite type of spirit. I tried the Flor de Cana 4 year before and it was pretty good, but not great; I'd say I need to go back and have it again but the one place that sold it is the one that went out of business. Ron Matusalem 12 year is another really good one that I got from that store years ago.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it's worth pointing out that many of the rums with a high year on them are "solera aged" which means that the year listed, such as Ron Zacapa 23 Year, is the oldest of many rums blended together to create a finished product. In other words, this so-called 23-year-old rum is a blend of various rums, most of them probably newer, with an un-specified amount of 23 year old rum blended in. It could be as little as a single drop, for all we know. I think it's dishonest as hell, but then at the same time most rum makers take enough pride in their product that they will still try to make the final result as delicious as they can. Things kind of fell into place for me when I found this out, since 12 years is about the upper limit for bourbon aging (before the price goes way up) but 21 year old rums are not uncommon.

krustster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 2, 2014

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
That's the problem with limited options. There's only one liquor store around here that carries Flor 4 year, Lemon Hart 151, and Wray and Nephew overproof, so I'm worried about them going out or dropping those single ones. Honestly, my white rum options are limited to: Flor de Cana 4 year, Cruzan, and Plantation 3 stars. I haven't tried the Plantation 3 stars, but the Cruzan is a decent rum, but just that, it's tastes like "rum" and that's it, really. The Flor de Cana line has really grown on me. I've got bottles of both the 4 year dry and the 7 year and they've both disappeared surprisingly quickly so I must like it. They're my favorite rums for a rum martini, thats for sure.

I knew that the Ron Zacapa 23 was a Solera going in and what that meant, but I can kind of see where you're coming from about being dishonest. If you already know what Solera means, it's not a big deal, but if you don't you may only see the "23 year" and could be misled. The rumor is that the Zacapa is mostly 10 years old, ranging from 6-23 years. But that's pretty much just internet hearsay. The bottom line for me is that it is loving delicious.

Also, in response to an older post I did buy a bottle of Brugal Anejo a while back and I'm really enjoying it. It's got a wonderful spicy quality that I enjoy in a Cuba Libre or fruity cocktails.

If I'm honest, one of my favorite things about rum is the price. You can find some fantastic rums for $15-25, and a $40-50 bottle is considered quite high-end. Sure, more expensive bottles exist, but you get a boat-load of flavor for your dollar.

Finally, what's a good rum if you're trying to convert a Scotch drinker to rum?

As a side note, I've tried enough rums now that I wish I could contribute things like tasting notes, but the sophistication of my palate extends only to words like "dry, sweat, light, rich, grassy, earthy, floral, sugary, spicy, and smokey" also "funky" like Wray+Nephew, and Smith+Cross, but I haven't even figured out what that means other than they share a similar... quality, that I assume is their "Jamaicaness."

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
One rum that is not solera is El Dorado. Everything in that bottle of 15 is 15 years old. And it shows, IMO, ED is one of the best sippers I've had.

My desert island rum is Smith and Cross, but my desert island three rums are S&C, El Dorado 15 and a good clean silver. (A local option is Maggie's Farm Rum, which is distilled from Demerara and brown sugars. Smooth, light and sweet, perfect in a daiquiri.)

Soeaking of stateside rums, does anyone know anything about Pritchard's Rum? I can't imagine it's that good, but I grew up in TN and I'm just amazed that they make rum there.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Nothing against solera rums per se; as stated above, many/most of them still end up being really delicious which is all that matters. It still seems silly and kind of annoying to me though. Putting a big (X number) on the label and then saying "a blend of rums up to X years old" technically means nothing at all because for all we know, they could have taken a bunch of brand new rum and added a drop of 300 year old stuff or whatever.

On that note, tonight I found a bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (15 year solera blend) and looking at the label it would appear this is the very rum I was talking about in my previous post, that I had thought was gone when that store went out of business, remembered incorrectly as 12 year or whatever. What a coincidence! Having some now, it's a great sipper, almost a honey-like character and a bit of fruitiness to it. It's not as woody as a true 15 year old rum would probably be (like that El Dorado, which I think I actually bought a long time ago) and lighter in color which seems to give it away a bit too. But make no mistake, it's delicious. It tastes like an older, more refined version of Pyrat XO. Compared to the Cruzan Single Barrel I had last night, it's interesting to note the difference in flavor profiles between blended and single barrel rums. Both have their strengths and fairly distinct tastes. Single barrel has more of an earthy/wood taste, blends are more on the fruity and sweet side.

krustster fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 3, 2014

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Viperix posted:

I knew that the Ron Zacapa 23 was a Solera going in and what that meant, but I can kind of see where you're coming from about being dishonest. If you already know what Solera means, it's not a big deal, but if you don't you may only see the "23 year" and could be misled. The rumor is that the Zacapa is mostly 10 years old, ranging from 6-23 years. But that's pretty much just internet hearsay. The bottom line for me is that it is loving delicious.

Also, in response to an older post I did buy a bottle of Brugal Anejo a while back and I'm really enjoying it. It's got a wonderful spicy quality that I enjoy in a Cuba Libre or fruity cocktails.

If I'm honest, one of my favorite things about rum is the price. You can find some fantastic rums for $15-25, and a $40-50 bottle is considered quite high-end. Sure, more expensive bottles exist, but you get a boat-load of flavor for your dollar.

Finally, what's a good rum if you're trying to convert a Scotch drinker to rum?

As a side note, I've tried enough rums now that I wish I could contribute things like tasting notes, but the sophistication of my palate extends only to words like "dry, sweat, light, rich, grassy, earthy, floral, sugary, spicy, and smokey" also "funky" like Wray+Nephew, and Smith+Cross, but I haven't even figured out what that means other than they share a similar... quality, that I assume is their "Jamaicaness."

Rums do that sort-of fake age statementing a lot. Consider the Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary, which is listed on the BevMo website as "20 year," even though the average age is I believe 12. They want to have a big number, because in whiskey and cognac big numbers are good, even though very few rums can stand up to very lengthy aging, and most suffer from it.

My skeptical whiskey-drinking friend was converted to rum by Barbancourt. That's probably your best bet. Aged Martiniques are also a possibility, but they're quite expensive (as you saw).

Finally, that flavor in J. Wray and Smitty is indeed "Jamaican-ness". It's the combination of slow, long fermentation using that distinctive Jamaican sour mash (sorta) process and traditional pot stills. Fuuuuuuuunky.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I wanted to ask the thread if anyone has tried Olo out? It's from Brazil and is probably the best tasting rum I've tried yet. It even got several of my friends who didn't like rum to begin to try them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I remember thinking Olo was pretty gross. A few years ago, one of the local grocery stores marked it down from $20 to $10 (!) and I bought some, only to be disappointed. Then my friend and I were reading the label that said something goofy about how "the refinement of this rum extends also to the OLO drinkers who prize it" and that became a running joke because we thought it was so bad. Tried both the "silver" and "gold", if they have anything other than those two, it could be better.

edit- looking around the internet, the reviews are mostly positive, and also the label looks different from what I remember (though it is the same name for sure). Now that I think more about it, I actually tried this waayyy back in 2007 so it could have changed and gotten better since then.

krustster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 5, 2014

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I enjoy the hell out of Dark 'N Stormies, but I'm looking to branch out and enjoy some other rum-based drinks that aren't rum and coke (urgh I want to taste the rum, not sugar water) and I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of Smith and Cross based on the recommendations of this thread. What are some good drinks that work well with that? Or should I just nut the gently caress up and have me a glass of old-school rum? I know I definitely enjoy dark rums more, and have a bottle of Flor 7 year that is rather tasty.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the bottle of Barbancourt 5 star I have as well. drat I need to start drinking this other rum instead of just getting Gosling's every time. The more I think about it, the more I realize I just need to start sipping this stuff instead of worrying about mixed drinks. However, feel free to post your suggestions for those as well!

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 14, 2014

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

pgroce posted:

Soeaking of stateside rums, does anyone know anything about Pritchard's Rum? I can't imagine it's that good, but I grew up in TN and I'm just amazed that they make rum there.

(Misspellings preserved for posterity.)

Answering my own question. I saw a bottle Prichard's at a local bar and the bartender let me taste it. We both agreed that in a blind test, we would have thought it was bourbon. (Which they make, but this was definitely the rum.) Apparently they're trying to go for a colonial rum in the style that would have been popular in the colonies when the triangle trade was still going on. I don't know if they succeeded, but what they have is...well, like I said, basically a really sweet bourbon. I'm guessing it's aged in new oak barrels, the vanilla is very strong.

It isn't bad. In fact, I might pick some up to make whiskey drinks for my wife (who doesn't drink grain-derived liquor for health reasons) and it compares favorably to, say, Willett Reserve, which is outstanding IMO. But I wouldn't drink it if I wanted rum.

It makes that Stone Fence variation using rye seem a lot more authentic, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

I enjoy the hell out of Dark 'N Stormies, but I'm looking to branch out and enjoy some other rum-based drinks that aren't rum and coke (urgh I want to taste the rum, not sugar water) and I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of Smith and Cross based on the recommendations of this thread. What are some good drinks that work well with that? Or should I just nut the gently caress up and have me a glass of old-school rum? I know I definitely enjoy dark rums more, and have a bottle of Flor 7 year that is rather tasty.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the bottle of Barbancourt 5 star I have as well. drat I need to start drinking this other rum instead of just getting Gosling's every time. The more I think about it, the more I realize I just need to start sipping this stuff instead of worrying about mixed drinks. However, feel free to post your suggestions for those as well!

Make an Old Fashioned with the Smith and Cross. It'll rock your world.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Any love for Woods 100 Navy Rum? It went in my liquor cabinet purely on the strength of its... er... strength, and I've found a use for it in Dark and Stormies, but little else. I kinda like the nose, but I pretty much just get cheap whisky on the palette. My birthday is coming up and was thinking about replacing it with a bottle of Smith & Cross, but I wonder whether I'll appreciate it.

I've been given a bottle of bog-standard Bacardi (which I hate) as a present, so I'm burning through that with the help of lots of pineapple and coconut juice. What should I replace it with? I want something that's reasonably nice (i.e. that doesn't taste of bleach), but not so expensive/fancy that I won't feel bad throwing together with some fruit juice or in a mojito. Havana Club maybe?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Get the smith & cross, it's not some finely nuanced rum you need to be a connoisseur to appreciate, it's more of a flavorful punch in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone have any experience with "The Lash" spiced rum?

Don't do much of the sipping but it seems to be a hit for egg nogs and other low effort cocktails.

• Locked thread