Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks for making the thread. After trying to get into scotch and bourbons for a while I just cannot. It's never something that sat well with my pallet. I have always had a good enjoyment of Rum and Vodka however and was wanting to try some more actual varieties.

So far I've been keeping stocked with Goslings and Cruzan black strap, but would like to move into a few more varieties to get a feel for what I like. The OP is perfect for helping with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rxcowboy posted:

Time to go lowbrow: Whats a good rum when you just want a simple mixed drink like a rum and coke, or ginger ale, fruit juice, etc?

My boss swears by Sailor Jerry, I'm a fan of Gosling Black Seal and I just tried Bacardi Oakheart. While I like the taste of Oakheart, it's a little vanilla heavy and to be honest a 70 proof rum falls apart in a cocktail unless you dial everything back to a 1:1 mix ratio. I completely understand if that statement made me seem like an alcoholic.

I've read some good reviews of Captain Morgan 100 proof, I'm thinking of bringing that in to my rotation for simple mixed drinks.

Has anyone tried Cruzan Black Strap? I know it's got molasses out the rear end, and that sounds like it could taste amazing in ginger ale or Dr Pepper.

On a side note, grape juice really does mix well with rum. Learn something new every day.

Black strap is pretty comparable to Black Seal, maybe a little more viscous and sweet, but not by a ton. I use either for what you are asking for above.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Does anyone have any more information on dunder? I've got a scientific background and brew. I also know some people who moonshine. But this is the first I've heard of dunder in the stilling process. It makes total sense and sounds like the sort of neat product that adds that little bit of alchemy to a scientific process.

I assumed it was just an inoculum of yeast between batches. Maybe it's a bit more like a sourdough starter and has a few bacterial species along for the ride that give certain flavors etc to the ferment that the yeast alone couldn't give?

Or, it could be a couple types of yeast, having ones in there that ferment outside their optimum temp would be good for a rum as they would be pumping out banana esters and stuff like that maybe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

It's definitely a mixed fermentation of some sort. He mentions using a lot of overripe bananas for his dunder while other people will use all kinds of crazy stuff like bats. Bananas make sense as a great source for sugars and esters to keep both the culture happy and kickstart all those good flavors. Just curious to see what more there is to it.

Yeah I'm sure that's part of it then. There's been some similar studies into how terroir falls into play for wine and cheese and from what we know so far it's to do with the microbiological residents on the grapes or on the cheese rinds which can be different in different areas vs others. This is why you can have the same initial ingredients and very different flavor outcomes. Same for sourdough starters from different locations. I didn't know that was a thing for rum too, pretty neat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That sounds really loving fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I saw that at Costco as well. Was gonna pick it up next trip.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

Cruzan Black Strap is great in a Dark and Stormy.

Ive used this and the Gosling Black seal and I find the Cruzan Black Strap to be the better of the two.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ron Zecapa 23 at Costco for $35. Picked up a bottle.

All I have around here right now to compare it to is some Mount Gay standard and Cruzan Black strap.

Cruzan isn't for sipping to me, it's too sweet / flavored, good mixer.

The Zecapa has a hell of a nose and still a bite at the finish but smoother than the Mount Gay. I dunno if it was worth the $35 to get personally but I haven't tried as many as most of you in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Well, Goslings and Cruzan at least.

• Locked thread