Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Holy poo poo man take a picture of your stash.

I have a similar problem. Every week my girlfriend and I take turns buying a bottle. We have been doing this from awhile. Sadly, we only drink about a quarter of a bottle a week. Which results in a growing collection. People end up bringing over bottles as gifts as well, and space starts to become limited.

Rum:

Bourbon:

Canadian whisky:

Irish whiskey:

Vodka:

Scotch:

Gin:

Tequila/Mezcal

Brandy:

Other Liquors:

Lucid Absinthe
Zen Green Tea Liquor
Schloss Kirsch

Liqueur - Fruit:

Chambord
Xante
St-Germain Elderflower
Pama Pomegranate
Alize Bleu
Southern Comfort
Luxardo Maraschino
Grand Marnier
Sour Puss Lemon
Bols Blue
Labbe Francois Cassis
Hayman’s Sloe Gin
Triple Sec
Golden Pear
Heering Cherry Liqueur
Creme de Banane
Cherry Brandy
Apricot Brandy
Peach Schnapps
Melon Liqueur
Soho Lychee
Countreau
Hypnotiq
Seve
Luxardo Limoncello
Creme de Violette
Sour Puss Raspberry Liquour

Liqueur - Nut / Dessert:

Frangelico
Roasted Chestnut Liqueur
Luxardo Amaretto
Butter Ripple Schnapps
Creme de Cacao
Barenjager Honey Liqueur
Glazed Donut Liqueur
Blueberry Pancake Liqueur
Whipped Cream Liqueur
Kahlua

Liqueur - Other:

Strega
Cynar
Fireball Whiskey
Campari
Nonino Quintessentia Amaro
Peppermint Schnapps
Green Chartreuse
Skinos Mastiha
Drambuie
King’s Ginger Liqueur
Benedictine
Anice
Pimm’s Cup
Galliano
Dancing Pines Chai Liqueur
Domaine de Canton (Ginger)
Xaica Hibiscus flower liquor

Vermouth / Fortified Wine:

Lillet Rose
White Dry Vermouth
Sweet Vermouth

Anyone have any interesting drink suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Decided to blind taste test a couple of the better rums I have tonight.

In order of preference I would rank them 1) El Dorado 21 2) Angostura 1824 3) Havana Club Selección de Maestros.

The El Dorado was the perfect blend of sweetness for a neat rum, the Havana Club was a little spicy for my personal tastes.

But, they all were great rums.

Devoz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 27, 2013

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I have 5-6 spiced rums sitting around my house, due to guest leaving them here. My hope is to only keep the two I like best. Any drink suggestions to help narrow down which spiced rums I like the best?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I picked up a bottle of Bacardi Reserva Limitada a few days ago. I would highly recommend it. It is a deliciously rich and flavorful rum. Wonderful to have neat. Probably in my top 3-5 favorite in my collection right now.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I was sailing around the Virgin Islands and decided to pick up some rums that I rarely see at home.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Man you are in for a treat with that Barbancourt.

I normally drink El Dorado 21 or Angosture 1824 for a sipping rum. This was a delicious and wonderful change. It has more spice to the taste, and some interesting nuances. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
This thread makes me want to buy even more rum, which is frightening since I am running out of room in my home bar.

I have a deep rooted love of rum. The first time I ever tried rum was 21yr old El Dorado rum when I was 15. Honestly, I thought all rum tasted like it did. The next rum I had was Bacardi Gold,which was quiet a shock.

Now my rum collection keeps growing.

Rum - Aged:

Ron Zacapa 23
El Dorado 21 Year Old
Angostura 1824
HAVANA CLUB SELECCION DE MAESTROS
BACARDI RESERVA LIMITADA
Flor de Cana 18yr
Barbancourt 15yr

Rum - White:

El Dorado 6 Year Old Silver Rum
Leblon Cachaca
DOMAINE DE MARQUISAT DE STE MARIE RHUM LONGUETEAU

Rum - Spiced:

Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
Cruzan No. 9 Spiced Rum
Hurricane Harry’s Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry’s

Rum - Standard:

Mount Gay Rum
Blackwell Gold Rum
Diplomatico Reserva
Grand Reserve Plantation Rum
Mount Gay XO
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 12 Year Old
Cruzan Single Barrel

Devoz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 2, 2014

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

krustster posted:

How's the Bacardi? I've seen their "8" and "Ron Solera" but never could make myself try them, mainly because the name.

Uuuauu god man, the single barrel is so much better than any of their others. I think it may be my favorite rum overall. Funny thing about the 151 is that it's brutal, but compared to Bacardi 151 it's not only cheaper, but far more drinkable. I remember doing ill-advised 151 shots with my friends years back and the Cruzan one caused about 75% less violent coughing than Bacardi, and became an equally ill-advised household staple for a while.

I have only tried the Cruzan single barrel, and it is a drat fine rum. For the money it is one of the best rums you can find in my opinion.

The Bacardi rum is an amazing rum, with an incredible depth. The taste was more toffeeish/caramelly and very dry from the woodiness, with a spicy finish that lingered for a long time.

It is unlike anything else from Bacardi, in a very good way.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Bacardi 151 is a special kind of terrible.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
So, I thought it would be interesting try to a vertical review of a rum distillery. El Dorado rum was the best choice, as I have the most options for the tasting.

What is interesting about El Dorado is that they use a number of different stills to make the rum blends. They are nice enough to give you a general idea of what stills are featured in what rum. See below:

Based on what I had on hand, I picked out El Dorado 8yr, 12yr, 15yr and 21yr.

In terms of which order I would rank them, after tasting them all blind, would be #1) 21yr, #2) 8yr, #3) 15yr, and #4) 12yr. That is not to say the 12yr is a bad rum, it is actually very good.

8yr old: compared to the other rums, it had very little in the way of wood notes. Pecans, brown sugar and molasses. It is a very smooth and light rum. This makes a very good mixer or sipping rum.

12yr old: brown sugar, notes of wood, vanilla and cinnamon would be the major flavors I tasted with this rum.

15yr old: the driest of the four rums. Tastes of maple syrup and chocolate notes.

21yr old: this is one of my favorite rums, it is wonderfully smooth. Toffee, brown sugar and oak. If you get a chance, try this rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Mahler posted:

Woah! Thanks for your reply. I've seen Ron Zacapa on the shelves but at 80 dollars CAN it's something I'm waiting to go on sale (not that the sales here are too spectacular). The VSOPs you mention are both unavailable, but Wray and Nephew is!

What would you consider a good starting point from Appleton? The stores here stock Special Gold, Estate V/X, the 12 year old ($40) and the 21 year old (at $149, way out of reach and edit: out of stock!).

Based on the pricing and stock, I'm assuming you are in Ontario. Rum Dos Maderas Px 5 x5 rum was just released by the LCBO. Wonderful stuff, rum that was finished an additional 5 years in sherry casks in Spain.

• Locked thread