Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Anyone had Brugal 1888 or Extra Viejo? I've had my eye on both for a while now but can't decide whether to pull the trigger.

Viperix posted:

My Eclipse is almost empty though, so I'm looking for suggestions on which to replace it with. But honestly, since I can't find Plantation Barbados GR locally, that might be the first rum I replace with the same bottle. Speaking of which I've found a local store with the Mt Gay White, what do people think of that? The Myers is almost gone as well, but Pussers is a nice alternative for rum and cokes, so I don't know if I'll replace that right away.

Since I'm naming random Brugal things I suggest the regular Brugal Anejo to replace that Eclipse. I think the price is about the same and it has a very distinctive sugarcane flavor. Also I find Myers dark rum to be totally disgusting, but Gosling Black Seal is a cheaper and far more delicious black rum that you would do well to obtain if you're into that.

And also. I noticed from your older post that you have Pyrat available for a measly 20 bucks. That's one of my favorites and I wildly recommend it. The acetone smell is a bit heavy but I don't mind that in a rum. It's very sweet, almost fruity, very different from any others that I've had. I haven't had anything that I liked better at the same price point.

krustster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Cruzan Single Barrel, pictured a few posts above, is also an extremely delicious and easily available sipper, usually around $25-30.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Smith and also Cross is not available in my area.

that is all,,

*sips cruzan single barrel*

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Those all sound pretty good. One of the key liquor stores here closed, and as a result my rum selection has become pretty limited. Which is too bad, because it's really my favorite type of spirit. I tried the Flor de Cana 4 year before and it was pretty good, but not great; I'd say I need to go back and have it again but the one place that sold it is the one that went out of business. Ron Matusalem 12 year is another really good one that I got from that store years ago.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but it's worth pointing out that many of the rums with a high year on them are "solera aged" which means that the year listed, such as Ron Zacapa 23 Year, is the oldest of many rums blended together to create a finished product. In other words, this so-called 23-year-old rum is a blend of various rums, most of them probably newer, with an un-specified amount of 23 year old rum blended in. It could be as little as a single drop, for all we know. I think it's dishonest as hell, but then at the same time most rum makers take enough pride in their product that they will still try to make the final result as delicious as they can. Things kind of fell into place for me when I found this out, since 12 years is about the upper limit for bourbon aging (before the price goes way up) but 21 year old rums are not uncommon.

krustster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 2, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Nothing against solera rums per se; as stated above, many/most of them still end up being really delicious which is all that matters. It still seems silly and kind of annoying to me though. Putting a big (X number) on the label and then saying "a blend of rums up to X years old" technically means nothing at all because for all we know, they could have taken a bunch of brand new rum and added a drop of 300 year old stuff or whatever.

On that note, tonight I found a bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (15 year solera blend) and looking at the label it would appear this is the very rum I was talking about in my previous post, that I had thought was gone when that store went out of business, remembered incorrectly as 12 year or whatever. What a coincidence! Having some now, it's a great sipper, almost a honey-like character and a bit of fruitiness to it. It's not as woody as a true 15 year old rum would probably be (like that El Dorado, which I think I actually bought a long time ago) and lighter in color which seems to give it away a bit too. But make no mistake, it's delicious. It tastes like an older, more refined version of Pyrat XO. Compared to the Cruzan Single Barrel I had last night, it's interesting to note the difference in flavor profiles between blended and single barrel rums. Both have their strengths and fairly distinct tastes. Single barrel has more of an earthy/wood taste, blends are more on the fruity and sweet side.

krustster fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 3, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I remember thinking Olo was pretty gross. A few years ago, one of the local grocery stores marked it down from $20 to $10 (!) and I bought some, only to be disappointed. Then my friend and I were reading the label that said something goofy about how "the refinement of this rum extends also to the OLO drinkers who prize it" and that became a running joke because we thought it was so bad. Tried both the "silver" and "gold", if they have anything other than those two, it could be better.

edit- looking around the internet, the reviews are mostly positive, and also the label looks different from what I remember (though it is the same name for sure). Now that I think more about it, I actually tried this waayyy back in 2007 so it could have changed and gotten better since then.

krustster fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 5, 2014

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

poliander posted:

Too fancy all of it :). Half glass rum, 3 tablespoons of sugar.
Mix and drink :).
Sounds flat out stupid, however it is one of my favourite drinks.

Whatever floats your boat man, but I can't imagine adding more sugar to something that's already essentially made of sugar in the first place. What's your rum of choice for this diabetic concoction?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Okay help me.

I bought a litre bottle of Havana Club 7 Aņos. I haven't opened it. I don't know poo poo about rum. What do I do apart from giving it to you.

Pour some in a glass and sip it, then go from there. I don't ever make cocktails, but my policy is that if it tastes good by itself, drink it that way.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Devoz posted:

This thread makes me want to buy even more rum, which is frightening since I am running out of room in my home bar.

How's the Bacardi? I've seen their "8" and "Ron Solera" but never could make myself try them, mainly because the name.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

How do you like that Cruzan Single Barrel compared to their other offerings? My latest bottle was the Cruzan 151 and it reminds me quite a bit of scotch.

Uuuauu god man, the single barrel is so much better than any of their others. I think it may be my favorite rum overall. Funny thing about the 151 is that it's brutal, but compared to Bacardi 151 it's not only cheaper, but far more drinkable. I remember doing ill-advised 151 shots with my friends years back and the Cruzan one caused about 75% less violent coughing than Bacardi, and became an equally ill-advised household staple for a while.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Picked up a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum. There's no age statement on it, but it's Black Seal rum that has been laid down in barrels for a long time(16-20 years according to some sources). It's really great rum and would go incredibly well with a cigar or as a winter sipper. I don't know of any other black/dark rums that have been aged anywhere near as long.

Time to necromant this thread. I bought some of this recently and while good, I found it tastes more like a dark rum than an old rum. Like, not very different from regular Black Seal. It's good for sure, but I think the black strap molasses or whatever has such a strong taste to begin with that it's hard to tell much of a difference.

In other news Appleton Rare (12 year) is my new favorite, what a finish and it goes on forever. And less than 40 dollars! Another tasty one is Diplomatico Reserva Exclusive, it's more on the sweet and viscous side of things with a ton of coconut like taste to it. I think Zacapa XO is my next mission because I found it somewhere for $74 instead of $120 so who can pass up such a deal?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Also has anyone seen Ron Millonario for sale anywhere? The XO is always on top ten lists everywhere but I've never seen it for sale in multiple states and can't seem to find it for sale online either after a relatively shallow search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Now I went too far down the internet rum rabbit hole and started reading about hydrometer ratings and stuff and how many rums that I like are full of extra sugar and whatnot. Realistically I only care about the taste of the final procut, but it's still kinda got me hosed up. :gonk:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Because... It is dark rum?

That was my ineloquent way of saying that it didn't taste very different from the original. I love regular Black seal but for the price I was a little let down.

• Locked thread