Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I was in Tenerife recently and a barman swore to me that the only good rum from the Canary Islands is Ron Aldea from La Palma. I bought a bottle of Anejo and it is pretty good for 10 euros. There were shops selling the most popular rum there (Guajiro?) for half that, but he told me that poo poo is nasty.

I still get confused by rum tbh. Just made a daquiri from some white Brugal and that was nice. How is Brugal regarded? Are there any distilleries that make good anejo but nasty white stuff, or vice versa? Are you even going to notice with the white rum if you're dumping a load of lime juice in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Wachter posted:

I've been given a bottle of bog-standard Bacardi (which I hate) as a present, so I'm burning through that with the help of lots of pineapple and coconut juice. What should I replace it with? I want something that's reasonably nice (i.e. that doesn't taste of bleach), but not so expensive/fancy that I won't feel bad throwing together with some fruit juice or in a mojito. Havana Club maybe?

I've been making my Daquiris with Brugal, Havana Club and Bacardi for the past year and I'm damned if I could tell the difference between them. Might just be my palate though - what does everyone else think?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Viperix posted:

I think I can tell the difference, but it's not strong. Brugal especially has a strong, almost spicy flavor that comes through and Bacardi I can taste in anything a mile away. How strong do you make your Daiquiris?

2 shots rum, 1/2 lime, 1/4 sugar generally. Sometimes straight, sometimes rocks. I've never tried two different white rums side-by-side though, just gone through one moderately priced bottle and replaced it with another. Interesting that the Brugal white has a stronger flavour because their standard Anejo is really smooth and innoffensive (I like it though!)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

The JWray was a little tricker, it's also one of the first white Rums I've bought so the flavor was pretty unfamiliar to me. Still pretty rough straight sipping (120~ proof) but I caught a lot of flavor that reminded me of rinds or peels from various citrus fruits. I don't have the booze vocabulary to describe it properly, it was probably 'earthy' or 'woody' or something. Kinda sucked straight but I'm still interested what else I can get out of it in a drink. I imagine it would go well in an Old Fashioned or some other cocktail that already involves fruit.

I'd make a daquiri with the J Wray. Daquiris are great and Old Fashioneds only work with brown spirits in my (probably massively over-simplified) opinion.

• Locked thread