Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kenning posted:

If you haven't tried Pusser's you should give it a shot – it's a Barbados rum but it's got a bit of that funky twang that the best Jamaicans show in spades. Makes a drat good punch. That's not a huge rum selection, but almost all of those are fair-to-excellent rums. It could be worse – this could be your rum shelf.

Pusser's is one of my favourite rums that aren't insanely priced and quite easy to pick up. :)

Also :wtc: at that image thats like 80% Bacardi / Malibu. :psyduck:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Left of the Dial posted:

Throwing in another recommendation for Pusser's. It's a rum with a lot of history (was distributed by the Royal Navy) and great flavor. Very oaky both on the nose and tongue. Enough flavor to drink neat, on the rocks, or in a punch. Not too pricey, either, about $20/750ml where I live (South Carolina).

Yeah the history behind Pusser's is on the same scale as Plymouth Gin's history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eswMosMToA

Also came across this rum, which I think I will never be able to try Black Tot Last Consignment. :psyduck:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 31, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Devoz posted:

[...]
Anyone have any interesting drink suggestions?

Plymouth gin if you want to add another gin to your collection, its personally my favourite. It's a protected designation of origin, when the sailors in Royal Navy drank rum, the officers drank Plymouth gin. Savoy book of cocktails name Plymouth gin specifically to be used in 23 gin based cocktails.

gin & tonic posted:

This cocktail was introduced by the army of the British East India Company in India.
In India and other tropical regions, malaria was a persistent problem. In the 1700s it was discovered that quinine could be used to treat the disease, although the bitter taste was unpleasant. British officers in India in the early 19th century took to adding a mixture of water, sugar, lime and gin to the quinine in order to make the drink more palatable.

So it would have been the original gin for gin & tonic (since the officers had Plymouth gin) but generally I just think it tastes nice. :3:

Also I like this little fact. :)

quote:

Soon after Coates & Co began in 1793, Plymouth Gin became a firm favourite in the numerous countries it was shipped to. The gin drinking of the Royal Navy considerably enhanced gin's prestige as it climbed the ladder of respectability in Victorian times. By 1850 Coates & Co were supplying over 1000 barrels of 'navy strength' 57% abv gin a year to the Royal Navy. They were fond of mixing it with Angostura bitters or lime for 'medicinal' purposes. Thanks to the British Royal Navy taking it on ships all over the world, it was to become the world's largest volume brand of gin with 1000 cases a week going to New York alone by the 1900's. In 1896 the first ever recipe for a Dry Martini specified Plymouth Gin (in Stuart's Fancy Drinks and How to Mix Them) and by the 1930's Plymouth Gin was the star of the cocktail era. It is the only gin still around today to be named in numerous recipes in the renowned Savoy Cocktail Book - still the bible of mixology.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 15, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Viperix posted:

Pussers is also interesting. I like it also but it's a bit harsh on it's own. Interestingly, it reminds a lot of the funk that the Jamaican rums have versus the Eclipse Barbados rum I've got. Is that normal? Either way it's a great, hearty rum and coke rum. [..] The Myers is almost gone as well, but Pussers is a nice alternative for rum and cokes, so I don't know if I'll replace that right away.

Pussers Rum was the rum the British Royal Navy's rum ration (up untill 1970 the day of the last tot was nicknamed by the sailors as Black Day), back in the gun powder era it use to a 'navy strength' variety which is 57% ABV (100° English proof), being the traditional strength demanded by the British Royal Navy because if you spilt some on the gunpowder it'd still light. The officers however had Navy Strength Plymouth Gin.

quote:

In the decades leading up to "The Black Day", it became common for Royal Navy Sailors to give a portion of their rum ration to a shipmate on their birthday, or for a favour. The donor would indicate how much he was allowing the other to take with one of the following phrases:
"Sippers" - Take a Sip.
"Gulpers" - Take a Gulp.
"Sandy Bottoms" - Drink it all.

Anyway, yeah it's pretty strong flavour like a lot of the 'proper navy rums'. Forbes magazine nicknamed it "Single Malt of Rum" and named it one of the world's top 10 premier rums but I can't find the article so can't tell if that is a lie or not. It's pretty drat strong taste almost burnt but if you treat it like a single malt (add a little bit of filtered water) it becomes a whole new rum. Being the price of single malt whiskey in the UK we tend to not add it to coke but I beat it does make one hell of a good rum and coke where you can taste the rum!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Hello you Rum lovers! I got invited to this Rum place tomorrow, alot I've seen before but they tend to be the basic ones. Was wondering if you could recommend any of these for me to try when I go there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kenning posted:

They've got a decent selection there. I'd try the Coruba (which is listed as Ron Coruba, even though it shouldn't be, since Jamaica is an English-speaking Island), Plantation Barbados 5 year, Banks 5 Island, and Pusser's. Beyond that the Mt. Gay XO will be nice to try, as would Pampero Anniversario and Angostura 1919.

Cheers I missed Pusser's as I got a bottle at home but tried everything else. :D

Wachter posted:

Where is this?

The Cuban, they got one in Bristol and one in Camden (London). The food I've never touched but always got recommended it for the drinks. :D The one I went to was in Bristol is good but there is better rum places about the UK! :D

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2014

• Locked thread