Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey Australians (or anyone else forced to suffer the presence of Bundaberg rum), does Bundaberg's premium output increase in any sufficient measure of quality? I'm curious but I'm not curious enough to spend money on some without tasting it or having a solid idea of what to expect.

I made the terrible mistake of ordering a rum and coke at a bar earlier this year after forgetting that I was no longer in the UK and the house rum was going to be Bundy. Not even coke can disguise the taste of evil. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Avast ye rum drinkers! I've been feeling on a rum kick the past few outings I've been in and I've been trying to branch out. First I grabbed some Kraken and Captain Morgan and liked both. Especially Kraken. Last night I had a friend help me through a bottle of Mount Gay white rum because I heard Mount Gay was good somewhere. All of them were mixed with Coke but man are they nice. I honestly think rum is replacing whiskey as my go to liquor. Gin will always be my favourite, but rum is getting up there.

Are there any other mid-range rums I should try? I'm thinking of grabbing some gold Mount Gay next time unless there's a better option. Selection is in Australia and up to around AU$50.

Seconding the Coruba recommendation, probably my favourite dark rum. If you're after something lighter, I quite enjoy the Angostura 5 year old, especially in rum twists on things like the Old Fashioned or the Manhattan. Angostura 5 in a Manhattan is really, really nice.

Report back if you do track down a bottle of Inner Circle Green Spot as well, I'd like to hear more about it since I keep eyeing up a bottle in my local Dan Murphy's.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Captain Morgan's Black Spiced Rum has started popping up on some liquor stores out here. I'm not keen on throwing $55 a bottle having never tasted it when I could just Kraken which I know I enjoy for around the same price - how does it compare?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'd like to try my hand at making rum cake, does anyone have a particular recipe they endorse/adore?

• Locked thread