Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Any recommendations for a former bourbon drinker who tasted El Dorado 12, fell madly in love, & immediately bought a bottle of the 15 year?
Mainly interested in sipping rum; I don't really do cocktails.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

He who controls the allspice controls the dram.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

therobit posted:

Yeah, I would prefer to have something versatile because I can only dedicate so much of my income and couner space to liquor. Does that describe Cruzan Blackstrap?

Cruzan blackstrap is the opposite of versatile. It's delightful in dark & stormies, and it can really shine in coffee drinks and tiki stuff, but it's one-note, sweet, and heavy.
It's not a bad rum, but it's extremely limited in the ways you can use it; you could draw an analogy to beer and say that Blackstrap is to rum what sweet milk stouts are to beer: tasty, but a very niche expression of the category.

If you're looking for a single, versatile bottle then I'd go with Pusser's (lots of vanilla-ey, oakey demerara notes, but there's also the funk from the Jamaican rum in the blend), a Barbancourt 8 (if you're on a budget) or 15(if you want your mind blown & aren't afraid to light some money on fire).
That having been said, I think that my Desert Island Rum would probably be Plantation's OFTD. It's ridiculously good for the price, and at 69% you get killer bang for your buck.

DISCLAIMER: I'm also a rum newbie, but have spent hundreds of dollars on different bottles since I started on this rum kick last winter

e: El Dorado 12 is also a KILLER bottle, but it's really sweet for a 12 year aged rum, which is a turn off for some people. At ~$35 for a 12 year bottle, though, it's an absurdly good deal.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 31, 2017

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

The Scarlet Ibis is fuckin' awesome.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

The Shaker in Austin gets it on the reg, so it's definitely being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I thought the diplomatico exclusiva was cloyingly, irritatingly sweet & had a distinct bubble gum/cola syrup note, but ymmv.
For the ~50 dollar range I don't think you can beat the Barbancourt 15. It's dryer than Eldo and has a lil tiny hint of agricole funk buried under the vanilla and dried fruit and oak notes. Probably the best sub-$75 bottle I've had for sipping.

• Locked thread