Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I really like Parrot Bay 90 proof coconut rum. I am part of the problem, I am sorry.
Something I've been meaning to do for a few weeks though is make my own regular proof coconut infused rum. Any suggestions for recipes/sugar amount/seeping times? Also what would be a good (i.e., cheap, but not nasty) rum to use as a base?
I'm pretty sure the next time I get a bottle of Parrot Bay it'll give me renal failure and I'd kind of like to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Kenning posted:

gently caress, I think I'm gonna try that now.

Let me know how that works out for you. That Cruzan looks to be something like 50 proof, which is inadequate. Though their 151 may make a good macerator. Might try that with some fresh coconut meat this weekend if I get bored.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This may only apply to Hawaii goons, but I just realized how much Old Lahania gold rum I've gone through over the past month. Stuff is cheap and reliable, no exceptional flavor to speak of, but conversely, no hints of cheap nastiness either. It goes for about 16$ a bottle locally. It's kind of the Seagram's VO of rum, while there's nothing really good about it, except the price, there's absolutely nothing bad about it either. Definitely more of a mixing spirit than a straight drinking spirit, but it's about the best thing to mix I've ever found. Well, other than Bombay dry in Singapore slings.

• Locked thread