Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, I'm planning on picking up a bottle tonight at my local LCBO. I personally love good cocktails, especially martini varients (Like Manhattans.) Would it be with dry or sweet vermouth? And would a light rum or a dark rum be better?

Also, I'm starting to get into infused alcohols. I made lemongrass infused vodka recently, and am wondering what would be a good infused flavour. Tropical fruit? Mint? Even chocolate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So I just found out my favourite small batch, copper still, artisnal, (insert booze hipster bs here), distillery just made their own rum. I am going to pick up a bottle monday, and I will tell you all about it.

The problem is, I have no idea what to expect.

Help?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

Honestly, unless they rep it as a <region>-style rum there's not a lot to go on. If they're using a pot still and a molasses base you can probably bet it'll be a bit twangy and Jamaican-ish. But really, rum is so variable it could taste like almost anything. If I were an artisnal distiller interested in rum, I'd produce something with a bit of sulfur, a thick mouthfeel, some rich brown sugar, and a long finish. The problem is that I just described Smith and Cross, and no doubt the distillery in question has tasted it while they were learning about rum profiles.

May I ask which distillery it is? If I read their promotional material for the rum I can probably hazard a better guess.

Of course It's these guys and here is Their Rum

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dark and STormies? A good old fashioned dacquiri?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

Oh no I want whatever is worse that rubbing alcohol.

Buy cheap rum, drinkin half, replace half with everclear.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, question, is Gosling Dark the best for dark and stormies?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

At work christmas party Bottle of this came out.

I am in love

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

When can I start buying rum from Cuba.

Do I want to buy rum from Cuba?

As a Canadian yeah. It's decent.

So I ran out of red vermouth. Give me a good use for a 2/3 full bottle of aperol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gah. Thought this was the cocktail thread. My bad.

• Locked thread