Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
What is the best rum available at the $30 or less price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

There's a lot of good rum under $30. Are you looking for a particular style? The second post in the thread gives a good rundown of various types of rum. Do you plan to use it in cocktails, sip it neat, or what?

To be honest I mostly drink beer and vodka, but I like the odd hot buttered rum, rum and coke, or slug of rum in my coffee. I typically dont like to sip liquor neat, but if something was amazing I might. I actually really don't know what cockails I would make with it, buy am open to learning some.

Due to a religious upbringing I am late to developing my taste for booze. If it sounds like I don't know poo poo about booze it is because I don't.

What is a good rum for people not used to rum? I am getting low on some mount gay eclipse that I bought around Christmas and it was ok but could have been better.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't tried it, but I was also thinking Zaya based on the talk earlier in this thread :hfive:

Don't worry about not knowing everything. Full disclosure: my interest in liquor didn't really extend beyond shots and highballs until last summer, so I barely know what I'm talking about. I just grabbed some of the recommendations from the OP that had interesting-sounding flavor profiles and wound up enjoying them.

If you're only going to have one rum on hand, this isn't the rum to recommend, but I have an inordinate fondness for Cruzan Blackstrap. It's super molasses-y, goes great with ginger ale (and probably coke), and I bet it would be really nice in coffee.

Yeah, I would prefer to have something versatile because I can only dedicate so much of my income and couner space to liquor. Does that describe Cruzan Blackstrap?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Well the other week when I went to pick up my Tito's vodka for the month I noticed that the Cruzan black strap was only like 13 bucks so I picked some up. It makes a great rum and (diet) coke, not a fan of it with ginger ale (too sweet, or maybe even just the brown sugar smell) and is ok in coffee. Had to adjust ratios a little for a white cuban due the the sweet smell but pretty good anyhow. At the price I think it is worth getting. I will try a different bottle when this runs out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

therobit fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 17, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

My father in law gave my wife a bottle of Appleton Estate signature and it was really good with coke. Also it is eggnog season which means it is hot eggnog with rum in it season.

• Locked thread