Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Went to the liquor store for some good rum, unfortunately the store had the wall of Bacardi and little else. Picked up a bottle of Myers dark with the intent of sipping it. A little too harsh for sipping, but it mixes well. Really, really well. Made my drink a little too strong, and proceeded to attempt cooking while poo poo faced at four in the morning.

The thing is, I don't really get the point of Myers. When I pour it straight, it's got a fantastic nose and tastes great, but the finish is really, really harsh. It's like the good buttery taste is obliterated when I swallow, and the harsh notes dominate. Then when you mix, the harshness is gone but so is the rich butter and molasses. I literally can't taste the rum in my drink and it's a cup of rum, a cup of lemonade, and a cup of limeade. The drink is delicious, but if I can't taste the rum and I'm just getting hosed up, why not just buy cheap poo poo?

This is why I like liquor I can drink straight. Going to try sipping it again later, and a different liquor store next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Kenning posted:

I don't think Meyers is that hot – I strongly prefer Coruba. Might be worthwhile to mix up an Old Fashioned with Meyers to see if it mellows out the final harshness and lets you just enjoy the aromas and the molasses.

Good thinking. I'm going to try and get a decent sipping rum this week though. I need to find a decent liquor store though, I'm going to try Appleton 12 year. I remember my parents bought some when we were in Jamaica, and even as a teenager I thought it tasted smooth.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Progress report on the Myers: I am not buying this again. It's too crude to drink straight, yet when I mix it the flavors that I *did* enjoy when sipping are just annihilated.

The plus side is that it mixes really, really smooth. Which led me to an idea which was probably not my best idea.

You know how a Jaeger bomb is Jaerger in Red Bull?

Myers goes amazingly well in lovely Rip It energy drinks. Especially the pomegranate one.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I think I just received my proper introduction to "good" rum.

I bought a bottle of El Dorado 12 year Reserve a few days ago, waited till today to crack it open.

Made a couple of Old Fashioned's with it. 2oz of rum, tablespoon of simple syrup, 2 dashes of bitters.

Holy poo poo this is delicious. The flavor is superb. Baking spices, vanilla, oak, cinnamon, plenty of molasses. No burn to speak of, just a nice pleasant warmth in the stomach. In short, this rum is loving amazing.

I know I'm going to regret this question, but if I like the sweetness and spice of this rum, what else should I look for?

I'd also like to try a rum in an old fashioned that basically just smacks me in the loving face with molasses, what should I try next?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Rum is disgusting, sickly sweet crap that's best left to the college kids at frat parties who don't know any better. I can feel the puke welling up in the back of my throat just thinking about the stuff.

Thanks for sharing your valuable and insightful opinion on how all rum, despite coming from a wide variety of countries and representing a wide variety of production techniques is all sickly sweet crap.

Your opinion clearly trumps international tasting tribunals, classic cocktails, marketing trends, and pretty much 300 years of history of the British Navy.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that all rums, including rums that could only be described as gin like and dry are in fact, sickly sweet and vomit inducing.

Your valuable commentary in the rum thread, dedicated to the appreciation of rum is oh gently caress it I can't even pretend, you're a loving moron.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

silvergoose posted:

Have: Cuban-style white rum, pineapple juice, can acquire various Goya nectars and potentially others, as well as any regular fruit juice or lemon, lime, other actual fruit
Like: Again, this is primarily for the wife, she greatly enjoyed (for example) pear nectar, pineapple juice, white rum in rough ratios of lots, some, little, shaken with ice, strained

Note that I don't necessarily want to *mask* the rum, just make it so it is designed as a fruity light drink, for sure.

I hate to dickride one type of rum, but look into El Dorado 12. It's from Guyana, and it's got a heavy sweetness and natural spice to it that I'm in love with. Mixes great with fruit juice or soda (especially vanilla Coke) but it's also smooth enough to drink neat. I paid 23 bucks for a bottle, which isn't bad for something that I can drink neat and not feel bad about using as a mixer.

For instance, tonight I mixed it with Campari and orange juice, and Campari and grapefruit juice. The flavor profile stood up well in both drinks, and was very easy to drink. One of my bosses from Peru likes mixing rum with passion fruit juice, so if you can find any of that he highly recommends it as a mixer.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Time to go lowbrow: Whats a good rum when you just want a simple mixed drink like a rum and coke, or ginger ale, fruit juice, etc?

My boss swears by Sailor Jerry, I'm a fan of Gosling Black Seal and I just tried Bacardi Oakheart. While I like the taste of Oakheart, it's a little vanilla heavy and to be honest a 70 proof rum falls apart in a cocktail unless you dial everything back to a 1:1 mix ratio. I completely understand if that statement made me seem like an alcoholic.

I've read some good reviews of Captain Morgan 100 proof, I'm thinking of bringing that in to my rotation for simple mixed drinks.

Has anyone tried Cruzan Black Strap? I know it's got molasses out the rear end, and that sounds like it could taste amazing in ginger ale or Dr Pepper.

On a side note, grape juice really does mix well with rum. Learn something new every day.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Shbobdb posted:

Personally, I'd go with the 4 year old version if you are just doing rum and cokes or whatever but if you want to start thinking about "cocktail culture" the 8 year can carry a cocktail the way a bourbon can. Just go lighter on the simple syrup/cherries/whatever because the inherent sweetness of the rum will carry you. If being able to hit that demographic appeals to you, go with the 8.

Sold. I'm a big bourbon fan, so if a rum can stand tall like a good bourbon, I have to try it.

When I use Coke or juice in a cocktail, I normally mix 50/50 so I can just roll with it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just got the Captain Morgan 100 proof. I don't know how in the gently caress they did it, but somehow the 100 proof is smoother and has less of a cheap alcohol burn than the 35 proof. Pretty much every review online that I've read points to this, and they are right. It's sort of irrelevant since this rum is designed as a mixer, and it blends great with cola and juice. The only thing I don't like is that it seems as though spice means vanilla, and not much else. Oh well, it's not designed to be complicated I suppose. If you're looking for a good spiced rum for mixing, I'd recommend it. Especially if you catch a good sale on it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Viperix posted:

So any recommendations on affordable rums that can be found locally when your only experience so far is Bacardi and Captain? I find I really like rum but don't know where to start expanding. My go-to drink lately has been a rum and soda. So preferably something mixable, but if there's any affordable rums that are also good enough to be drunk straight I'd be willing to try one out.

I'm going to throw El Dorado 12 out there. In my neck of the woods, a 750 of Sailor Jerry's is 16 dollars, Meyer's is 18, Captain Morgan 100 proof is 18, and El Dorado 12 is 23. For that you get a rum that works well in a cocktail and is certainly good enough to sip neat.

Now the thing I have to pass on is that in my opinion, cola obliterates rum. Alot of the subtle flavors you get on a nice rum just get punched out, even at a 1 to 1 mix. So if I'm drinking a rum and coke, I want a big, bold rum that's going to hold up to the Coke. Goslings is good, Meyer's is good, Captain Morgan 100 is *drat* good.

If you're willing to get into cocktail territory, a rum Old Fashioned or Manhattan or Collins are all superb, and I would say the El Dorado would serve you well. Bacardi 8 year is also really good, don't let the Bacardi name fool you on this one.

Rum isn't that expensive, even for a cheap bastard like me. I'd say pick up two bottles, one for soda/cocktails and one for sipping neat.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Viperix posted:

So a lot of the recommended rums in this thread aren't available where I live. This is the top shelf of one of the liquor stores nearby, what's worth trying?

I've only gotten to the Mt. Gay Eclipse and the cheaper Appleton Estate so far and liked both of them.

I see Bacardi 8, Flor De Cana, and Pussers. Start there!

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

:catstare:

Old Fashioned uses rye whiskey.

Not true. You can make an Old Fashioned with Rum, Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Tequila, Cognac/Brandy, etc.
It's just spirit, simple syrup, bitters, and ice. There really isn't a hard and fast rule saying rye only.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe if you're a communist.

Oh god no. I just have a drinking problem and no respect for tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Takes No Damage posted:

Just went AWOL from work for 45 minutes go grab a bottle of each, as well as a Barbancourt 4yr. The big things recommended by the thread that I'm not seeing at this store are Coruba and Smith & Cross. I've definitely got my eye out for S&C at any other box stores I go to, but no luck so far. I seem to gravitate towards the darker more heavily spiced rums like Kraken, but that's probably just because it has a heavy enough flavor to bash through Coke so I can still taste it. In more delicately mixed drinks like D&S and (rum) Old Fashioned I'm sure more subtle flavors will be more apparent.

You can mix what you like in whatever you like, but as you point out you're going to lose a shitload of flavor mixing with coke. When I mix with soda I do a 1 to 1 mix so the rum can still stand tall, and I found certain rums work better with gingerale than Coke. If you want a cheaper rum to mix with I like Mount Gay Eclipse.

• Locked thread