Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm a total neophyte when it comes to Fancy Rums but I actually like Bacardi Oakheart quite a bit. Sure, it's not nuanced or super flavorful or anything stellar, but it's smooth and got some interest to it. I'd put it about on par with Kraken. It's the best Bacardi I've ever had, which isn't saying much on my end or Bacardi's, but it is worth a look if your selection seriously that crappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
How would Mt Gay do in an old fashioned? Does the technique differ at all? (Fruits muddled with sugar and bitters, and then booze, served on ice?) I only ask because I've been tasked with inventing / renaming / presenting and promoting cocktails for a theatre to help us hit our bar minimum, and that sounds like something we could really get our regulars to buy.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I finally got a chance to try Smith & Cross at a bar last night and holy poo poo you guys aren't kidding. Sipping it neat was an Experience; I've had plenty of scotch with less flavor than that stuff. drat. Definitely have to drink it slow, but I'm psyched to go back and order drinks made with it; this place makes a killer old fashioned already so I'm sure making it with the Smith & Cross will be excellent.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, question, is Gosling Dark the best for dark and stormies?

Eh, Gosling Dark is okay, but I find it doesn't really stand up to ginger beer that well--it kinda disappears in the drink, I've found. I prefer Kraken for mixing (super heavy molasses flavor) or Myer's (very fruity) if you're looking for mass-market available rums, but typically you can find other, smaller distillery offerings. I'm kinda into this Black Magic stuff that I picked up recently, but I hadn't seen it before I moved, so it might be a regional thing.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
After turning my partner and several friends onto rum as a sipping alternative to high end whiskey, I bought a bottle of the Old Monk 7 year, because it was $19 where I live. And holy poo poo is it flavorful. It's a bit rough, not nearly as smooth as something aged as Zaya, but there's so much flavor and interest in there--maple, nutmeg, candied orange peel, ginger, all sorts of flavors. It's incredible at that price point.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Zaya is glorious, but if what you really like is that aggressively molasses-y flavor, definitely check out Old Monk. I picked up a bottle for like $19 and I adored the stuff--it's a bit rough and strong on the palette, not as smooth as Zaya or Ron Zacapa, but it makes up for it with a ton of really explosive flavor, headed up by molasses. It also mixes quite well, and it definitely doesn't disappear into a cocktail or wilt under bitters the way a more subtle rum might. I've never had Cruzan Blackstrap but based on what Kenning said Old Monk might be worth a look.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Plantation 20th anniversary is totally loving incredible. It's a 12 year rum apparently, I believe a solera, with smooth caramel okay sweetness and strong coconut fruity flavors. Totally gorgeous.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I live in Colorado now, and I want to recommend a silver rum to folks who can get it. Stoneyard Colorado rum is not really great for sipping neat or on ice, but it makes the best daquiri I've ever had. A bottle was about $25 and I've never had Flor de Cana (daquiri gold standard in this thread) but if you're interested in a new one, its definitely worth a look.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Klenath posted:

There's a small rum distillery in Pittsburgh, PA called Maggie's Farm which does some really good stuff. They've been operating for fewer than 5 years, but make some really good stuff. I don't think the owner/operator distributes very far yet simply due to a lack of stock and space. His Queen's Share rum finished in bourbon barrels is amazing. I hope he can expand and stay afloat because he makes good stuff. If you go to the distillery you can taste a lot of their products - except maybe the Queen's Share line because it's fancy-pants.

DUDE. I'm going home to PGH for my brother's wedding in two weeks and we are gonna be hard up for stuff to do during the day. I'm so pumped to go here & taste this stuff! It sounds awesome!

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 25, 2016

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm a native and go back to the Burgh at least once every two years, so this is super valuable--my sister took us to Church Brew Works and the pierogies were excellence and the venue was delightfully blasphemous. Thanks for the other recommendations! I also want to look into hitting up Cure, I've heard about them a couple of times.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

pgroce posted:

For a rum bar, you should definitely hit Hidden Harbor. It's a new tiki bar with very knowledgeable staff and a small (so far) but well-curated selection of rums. They're also into Dave Arnold-style craziness. They have a cotton candy machine that they sometimes spin Campari in, for instance. (Their sister beer bar is quite good too.)

Pittsburgh is a pretty good place to drink. Ironically, given how especially hosed up its liquor laws are.

I was gonna say, I've definitely spent like $25 on a six-pack that cost me $15 back in Boston with its horrible blue laws, probably costs $10 out here in Colorado where things are sane and not based on Puritan or Quaker bullshit. I DEFINITELY want that campari cotton candy though.

Is there a "places to eat and drink in Pittsburgh" thread kicking around anywhere? Seems like a thing that should exist, though I'm definitely not the person to start it, since I haven't lived there in over 10 years and I was never of legal drinking age (or funding to go to the really cool spots) when I was there.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

:agreed:

That said, I could use some suggestions for other cocktails. I like the strong molasses flavor, but it does tend to overshadow other ingredients in the drink. I wonder if it might work better in smaller quantities as a sweetener, the way things like Cointreau or Maraschino are often used, rather than as the primary spirit.

I feel like a lot of tiki drinks use it that way--maybe look up some of those? I don't have specific recommendations unfortunately but don't be fooled by the pineapple, tiki drinks can be complex and tasty.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Let's say I like bourbon. What's a decent, aged rum to pick up and try?

As a person who came from liking bourbon, I gotta say my standbys are Zaya and Pyrat. Zaya is super friendly, full of vanilla, and quite mild & sweet. Pyrat has a distinct orange note and can taste a little more syrupy. Both are under $30 where I live, and both are friendly enough to mix with and not totally dominate if you aren't a huge fan--though I have to say, neat is the only way I drink them anymore because they are both so nice on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm going to the Bahamas, specifically Nassau, and I was curious if there's any amazing rums I should pick up (and presumably pay customs on, no idea how that works) while I'm there! We are gonna tour the Watlings distillery for sure but is there anything else amazing we should hunt for?

• Locked thread