Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I got a bottle of Meyer's and I'm not really enjoying it straight. What's a more palatable sipping rum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Kenning posted:

Pretty much any rum with a bit of age and/or color to it will take well to the old fashioned treatment. Meyer's in particular tidies up around the edges quite nicely.
Maybe I should ask in the cocktail thread instead, but what's the trick to a good old fashioned? Every one I've mixed feels off.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah I'm having trouble with how much is in a "splash" or a "dash" because I AM RETARDED.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Butch Cassidy posted:

To taste. Start with maybe two or three shakes of the bitters and a teaspoon of simple syrup, I guess.
Thank you, I can compute these units

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I am thinking of trying rum (after a long affair with Gin) but not spending a lot to start out. Out of Lambs spiced rum, Bacardi Oakheart, Appleton Special Jamacan Rum and Cockspur Fine Rum which is a better option (those are on special offer).

If i get a taste I will move on to the better stuff
Don't drink spiced rum if you want to get a taste for rum, it's generally just a mixer. Out of the one you mentioned I'd do Appleton, but be aware that Jamaican rum is pretty different from Barbados rum. If you can get a bottle of Mount Gay, it runs like 20 bucks a fifth and I usually recommend it to new rum drinkers. It's extremely smooth but somewhat mild.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's a good sipping rum along the same flavor profile of Cruzan Black Strap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Thanks for the recommendations, that's exactly what I was looking for. I enjoy the direction of Cruzan black but agree it's way too heavy on the molasses flavor to sip directly

• Locked thread