Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gameko posted:

As a resident of New England I know some Irish folks that take their Dark & Stormies pretty seriously. (I've even heard claims that the D&S was invented in Newport, Rhode Island, which is crazy.) Anyway, the 'correct' way to make a dark & stormy is to start with your bed of ice in a highball glass, pour in your dark rum (Goslings ONLY!), and then carefully pour about 3x as much ginger beer over the rum. Garnish with a twist of lime if you like.

Speaking of, have you tried the Thomas Tew rum the Newport Storm people distill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Herr Tog posted:

So I need a recommendation for a lovely rum for a prank.

Whatever's cheapest? Ron Rico or Castillo if you don't want the overwhelming smell of rubbing alcohol.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Meldonox posted:

Hello rum thread! I'm well used to drinking all sorts of different liquors, but I've never gotten the hang of rum. For some reason it always, always makes my stomach super upset while no other spirit does unless I drink a ton of it. Is this sort of thing typically a result of drinking crappy rum, or do I just need to bite the bullet and acquire a tolerance to it?

Could just be a personal peculiarity, though I'd drink some good rum first to make sure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Takes No Damage posted:

Rum thread! I've been catching up over the last few weeks and have pretty much decided to become a Rum Guy. I used to stick pretty much with whiskeys, but the taste isn't really doing it for me anymore (and for anything decent the price escalates quickly).

So far I've picked up Sr Jerry's, Kraken and Tropic Isle Palms for my daily drinkers, these just get dumped into 8oz Diet Cokes but do their jobs well enough. I also picked up some Mt Gay ECLIPSE and Flor de Cana (4yr I think). The Mt Gay is really easy to sip straight, hardly any bite from the alcohol (smooth, I now know to call it) but I'm not digging the Flor too much. As others have noted it tastes pretty much like whiskey. The Specs in my area also carries J W&N Overproof Jamacian and LemonHart 151 so I plan on picking up one of each pretty soon.

I want to start to branch out in my drink mixing beyond 'coke', are there any recommended ginger beers that go well with my spiced rums (had a D&S at a bar with Capt Morgans, was very tasty)? The other big rum-based drink seems to be the Old Fashioned, any brand recommendations for its other ingredients? I'm in Dallas if anything is regional.

:catstare:

Old Fashioned uses rye whiskey.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rxcowboy posted:

Not true. You can make an Old Fashioned with Rum, Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Tequila, Cognac/Brandy, etc.
It's just spirit, simple syrup, bitters, and ice. There really isn't a hard and fast rule saying rye only.

Maybe if you're a communist.

• Locked thread