Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I hate Cruzan blackstrap. It tastes like artificial maple syrup to me. So sweet and gross. I'm going to assume that the color comes from tons of caramel coloring rather than aging. Is Goslings pretty much the same as this?

Can we just assume that any rum categorized as "dark" on the label is simply a product of coloring and sweetening?

EDIT: Drink Smith & Cross errday.

bolo yeung fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Rum lessons I learned this weekend:

1) Don Q Cristal is an awful, awful rum. I'm just going to treat this like a vodka from now on (that's pretty much what it tastes like).

2) The painkiller is a sweet mess of a mixed drink. I'd take a well made pina colada over this any day.

3) A 151 swizzle is hard to beat. Please make this drink if you haven't already. Don't think of using Bacardi 151. Only Lemon Hart 151 for this. The dash of Angostura and the few drops of pastis make this drink.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I made the painkiller myself with a ratio of 1:1 rum:pineapple juice. I see some versions use 4 parts pineapple to 2 parts rum, and I just can't imagine how extremely sweet that would be. I understand it's very similar to a pina colada, which is why I referenced it. I guess I find my pina coladas more drinkable since I use way too much rum in them.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
That's really interesting. Kinda not surprised by the El Dorado 12. Tasty rum, but it is SWEET.

• Locked thread