Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kenning posted:

Yeah Meyer's isn't a great sipper. Make a nice old fashioned though.

:aaa: I never would have thought to use Meyer's in an old fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

To taste. Start with maybe two or three shakes of the bitters and a teaspoon of simple syrup, I guess.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yes on he finish, and $45 bucks for a good liquor is worth it. If you are on a tight budget like me, just make that price range a special occasion treat. :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Barbancourt 5 star is possibly my favorite go-to spirit. The price:quality is perfect.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up a bottle of Mount Gay Black Barrel for my obligatory bottle of hotel room hooch. It's promising in a quick and dirty mix with grocery store ginger beer and lime. Sipped straight, seems alright. Going to have to give the rest of the bottle proper attention when I get back home.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Someone convince me to drop thirtybux having the local liquor outlet order me up a bottle of Smith & Cross.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Swung by before work. Clerk said Tuesday at the earliest if her boss orders it tomorrow. :f5:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

When I get around to having the Liquor Commission order me a new bottle of something they don't carry in the local outlets, would Leblon be worth requesting? Seems to be the only cachaça carried in the state. Not dropping the :retrogames: to commit to a case of anything else with a state-wide stocking request.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leblon is gonna have to wait. Just blew my non-Smith & Cross fun budget on a bottle of Bully Boy Boston rum to give my father and Barbancourt 15 year for myself. Also bottle each Dolin dry and rouge.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Still no call for the likker outlet. I want my Smith & Cross, damnit. Gonna have to head over tomorrow and see if the what's up. Guessing the clerk never passed on the note.

E: The order never came in. Had to go through three clerks to get a new order put through.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 17, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Liquor commission has decided to stock Cruzan blackstrap. Need to decide what my celebratory first drink will be.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mount Gay Black Barrel is aged in bourbon barrels and a solid rum. It's priced fairly, mixes well enough, can be alright neat, and makes a good old fashioned.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Could also use capillaire or citrus zest infused syrup in place of the sugar.

Anyone got a good hot buttered rum recipe? I've yet to be truly content with one. Serious Eats has a promising batter I'd like to tinker with but is too sweet and overly spiced like it is trying to cover rough rum. The nutmeg also gets buried where I prefer it to be front and center.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up a bottle of Plantation Original Dark for my obligatory room bottle while on vacation. I don't think it's all that good neat but just noticed how quickly some of that bottle went sloshed in a cup while reading old sci-fi shorts on the deck.

Going to save the rest and give it a proper go when I'm home and less distracted by the beach. At any rate, it mixes prwtty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Can now say that Plantation Original Dark makes an alright old fashioned with a reduced charge of demerara. Decidedly simple and lacking spunk yet tempts me top try a hot buttered rum with the stuff. I think my verdict will be that it's a reasonably decent liquor mixed and serviceable neat but Barbancourt 5 Star and Pusser's are both much better for the same price.

• Locked thread