Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Avast ye rum drinkers! I've been feeling on a rum kick the past few outings I've been in and I've been trying to branch out. First I grabbed some Kraken and Captain Morgan and liked both. Especially Kraken. Last night I had a friend help me through a bottle of Mount Gay white rum because I heard Mount Gay was good somewhere. All of them were mixed with Coke but man are they nice. I honestly think rum is replacing whiskey as my go to liquor. Gin will always be my favourite, but rum is getting up there.

Are there any other mid-range rums I should try? I'm thinking of grabbing some gold Mount Gay next time unless there's a better option. Selection is in Australia and up to around AU$50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kenning posted:

Man, from all I know about Australian liquor prices, $50 is pricing you pretty low in the market. I don't know what Inner Circle costs down there, but the Green Dot bottling is supposed to be world class.

Ooh, I'll have to grab a bottle. Funnily enough, Green Dot is $50. It seems rum is far more reasonable than, say, tequila here.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have bow tried a few different rums. First, Mount Gay, both gold and silver, are fantastic. Probably my favourite non-spiced rums. Spiced, Kraken is probably my favourite and Captain Morgan was okay but not outstanding. I grabbed Inner Circle Green Dot on recommendation of this thread and was disappointed frankly. It was strong (At 57.2% ABV) but was very Bundy styled. Not terrible but just average.

I am really liking rum lately.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kenning posted:

You can't really sip something like Inner Circle, usually. It'll be too hot and the funk – which is its true asset – will be messed up. I strongly recommend making an Old Fashioned with it, and letting it get very cold, then sipping. Bundy has funk, but no refinement. Green Dot is sophisticated, and funky.

We first sipped/sampled everything straight but then drank it with some mixers (Coke, ginger beer, even lemonade). Green Dot isn't bad, I just didn't find it impressive aside from being that strong and still being nice. I certainly wouldn't turn it down but for the money (And less) there's better options unless you really want overproof rum. If that's the goal then yeah, Green Dot is great. But I can get hosed up on standard proof stuff so I'd rather it taste as nice as it can for the price.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love The Kraken but every review online (I know, I know) always makes tonnes of comments about cinnamon and cloves and the like, and no God drat mention of vanilla. Am I crazy? The Kraken is crazy with the vanilla flavours. But the only mention I found was like one or two comments on some random rear end blog.

• Locked thread