Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Rums of Grenada

Grenada has 3 main Distilleries;

Grenada Distillers Ltd

The latest development from Clarke's court. Not a new product but the fact its available in a Gallon growler!

Very popular with Grenadians, both home and abroad. There are various other products, including the limited edition #37. It was realllllly nice, but unfortunately limited edition. There are a few casks left, but the head distiller is keeping them for another special edition sometime next year..

They no longer use the traditional process, and have switched to importing molasses rather that grinding sugar cane. The 2nd most popular locally is Special Dark. Combined with coke and subsequently called "Flanka".

Thir list of rums are:
# 37
Black Jack
Camerhogne Liqueur
Fancy Molasses
Rhythm Coconut Rum
Old Grog
Planters Punch
Pure Jab
Pure White Rum
Rum Lemon
Rum Sorrel
Rum Punch
Special Dark
Spicy Rum
Superior Light
White Ball (Can be used to clean printers and fill zippo's)

My personal favourite is the Old Grog. Wonderfully aged, and in a

River Antoine

Rivers rum, however, has used the same process since 1785! Their Rum isn't always available, as it sells out quick. There is also an issue regarding international standards, that it doesnt always come out with the stated ABV.. sometimes as high as 80%ABV! I think the majority of it is consumed locally. You can smell/taste the sugar cane flavours. From a distance. For 3 days....

Westerhall Estate (site is down, just called them about it!)
Uses a similar process to clarkes court, but focus more on the aged and darker rums, although the most recent development from Westerhall is the 12 Degrees. It's a clear, filtered rum that may as well be a vodka. The Superior light is a nice "gulping" rum. My favorite from the is the vintage. Nice wax sealed bottle, tastes great.

The are 2 other, very much non commercial rums made in grenada. One is babash a.k.a. "Mountain Dew". Its pretty much moonshine.
The other is "Under the Counter". An empty 3l wine bottle is filled with Bois-bande, nutmeg, cinnamon, miscelaneous other herbs, spices and "bush". It is then filled with the rum of choice. normally clarkes court pure white. And don't forget the giant centipede! It then sits under the counter of a rum shop to age for however long the maker can wait, then drank. It is regualarly topped off with more rum. It is a good cure for the common cold, I can personally attest to that! Also "good for the wood", due to the Bois-bande content.

To get the best under the counter you have to go to a Rum Shop which are plentifull! I'd estimate over 1000, which in a country of 110,000 people probably puts it near the top of the list for bars per capita. An average rum shop is a small strucutre by the side of the road. Generally sell at least rum, beer and soft drinks, but can ammount to a full fledged grocery store/kitchen/live entertainment venue. Rum is served in units of "eighths" or 1/8 of a pint. It is drunk straight, with a water chaser.

Any questions on Grenada's rum, I'm pretty sure I can answer :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread