Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I finally have a shop near me that has a rum selection beyond Captain Morgan. So far I've tried Mount Gay Eclipse and Ron Abuelo, and picked up a bottle of Zacapa XO for special occasions. I've noticed they've started getting some Havana Club in - I've not tried many lighter rums, any recommendations on good ways to drink this (I guess Mojitos would be an obvious choice)? Specifically they have the 3 year and 7 year, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Kenning posted:

Daiquiris and mojitos are great choices. The 3 year is the white one, and the 7 year is gold, right?.

Yep, I picked up a bottle of the 3 year and some palm sugar and went to town over the weekend. The Mojitos turned out ok, didn't get the balance quite right though. The Daiquiris were goddamn delicious and may become my go-to cocktail in future (when making it myself at least, since most bars here seem to always serve frozen/strawberry/whatever variation).

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

NIGARS posted:

White rum for mojitos, daiquiris, Cuba libres and the like: would you go for Havana Club 3 or Flor de Cana Extra Dry? Neither is expensive, but the Havana Club is a little cheaper and easier to get hold of. I have never tried either.

I can't really speak for the Flor de Cana, but the Havana 3 year loves cocktails. Really can't go wrong with it.

On a slightly related note, I will be in Cuba in 2 weeks... in case anyone here has been before, any rum-related recommendations?

• Locked thread