Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I live on the godless, terrifying eastern side of the San Francisco bay area and I can't find much that isn't Bacardi, Captain Morgan or Shellback anywhere. Luckily I know a few places that have Kraken. I know one of you has mentioned a place called Pirates Cove a lot which is San Francisco based. Are there any decent places to buy booze worth a drat on my side of the bay? I live in the Fremont area.

Living with what I've got, though, how is Shellback for mixing or drinking neat/on the rocks? I hate all the cheap Bacardis I've tried and I honestly think lighter rums are better for mixing (less flavor means less clashing flavor). How's Bacardi Oakheart? I've heard incredibly mixed things about it.

EDIT: If you're going to make a rum and coke and have access to Jarritos cola (it's a mexican brand) it is amazing. Throwing in some lime to make it a Cuba Libre is great if you have a rum that takes on citrus very well

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Yes I did mean to type Smuggler's Cove and I'm not even drunkposting.

Edit for content:

This summer when I was in San Luis Obispo and Sacramento, I was experimenting with making good drinks out of terrible liquor. Both of these are sweet and cold because of the weather where I was and the people I was making them for, but I'll try to estimate some good alternatives. First one's a lemonade drink: 2-3 shots of white rum, fill high with either sprite or 30/70 lime/soda water mix, add a large splash of raspberry lemonade and add grenadine to taste. Pretty sweet but it covers up the nastiness of Bacardi while clearly being an alcoholic drink at the same time. I used an old-fashioned glass for this one. Next one is still kind of a lemonade drink but it doesn't have much to do with lemons. Two shots of Gin, preferably one with less flavor if you can manage, 2-3 shots of white rum, half a lime squeezed, fill with a 50/50 mix of soda water and Jones Berry Lemonade. I put this one in a Collins glass and it looks really good with an orange peel twist. Neither of these really need to be stirred if you put them together in the order listed.

Both of these were made for people who didn't really drink much, and didn't care for the taste of really strong booze. People with sensitive pallets be warned. Newbies with nothing to lose, feel free to give it a shot. The first one is potentially a sugarbomb if you're not careful.

The last one isn't really something I invented but rather stumbled upon. Replacing the soda water and simple syrup in a mojito with mountain dew actually makes mountain dew palatable for me. I'm guessing it's the mint? I don't know. I mostly drank Meyer's Rum Daquiris and Dark'n Stormies that summer anyways, but it's fun to experiment nonetheless.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread