Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013
I would highly recommend the Flor de Cana line of rum from Nicaragua if you can get it. Very inexpensive for very tasty, drinkable rum. The dry white makes a great mixer, and the darker anejo rums are great either for sipping or mixing. They have mostly replaced Appleton's in my home bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Kenning posted:

Of course, I don't really see the need for one rum to replace another rum.

Limited shelf space remaining demands that I make the occasional hard choice. I have a very fond place in my heart for Appletons (honeymoon in Jamaica, my wife and I drank a lot of it), but Flor just edges it out for its place in my cabinet. If I had my druthers, I would have a whole wall dedicated to a full bar so I wouldn't have to exclude a bottle due to the cruel math of spacial availability.

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

down1nit posted:

Shelf space for specialty liquors! Is this what separates men from children?

I'd just put it next to the bag of lentils and boxes of once-used quinoa in the pantry. I joke, but in the SF bay area, space is at a premium; besides, I'm just jealous :(

84 bottles takes up a lot of room. In order to make room for more rums, I would have to cut back somewhere else.

Yes, I have a drinking problem. I love booze, but I never have time to drink it. That's a problem.

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

What do the rum experts recommend for a mixing white rum? My handle of Cruzan Aged Light will reach the end of its life soon. I mostly just use white rum to make daiquiris. (By which I mean white rum, lime, and simple syrup.)

Personally, I find the Flor de Cana white dry is an excellent mixer for fruit and daiquiris. Appleton's white is another nice one. Both are quite inexpensive.

• Locked thread